Sub 3

Comments

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Padams & TR - Nice turbo efforts.  

Dids - I noticed you are light on runs too, hope all's well.  Maybe a Mg bath would do the trick!  image

AW - they were nice reps.

Luke - They are some good sessions and good track work. Don't peak too soon!

I am spent after 10 total inc 16 x 200 as a group of 4 which started at 37 and averaged 36.  I didn't know I could run that fast!  Rest day tomorrow. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

TR.. good mix of training you're putting in - I supppose you would be happy enough to line up for a tri as a run with that sort of stuff.

Some speedy short stuff there Luke & Toro.

Good turbo session Padams.

AW.. very tasty progressive run, having the kick left for that last mile is impressive.

ST.. there is a piece in the latest AW mag about tweaks to the Brighton Marathon course, details are here..

http://www.heart.co.uk/sussex/news/local/brighton-marathon-route-changes-revealed/

Gobi.. good to see you sticking around.

Similar tempo session to last week but speeded up towards the end.  10m with 3m @ 6:44 pace & the last 2m @ 6:35. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Toro - I dread to think how slow I'd do a 200 at now, my youngest (age 12) came home from school in the summer after sports day saying he'd beat the school record with 27.X, so I darn't even try now.

Wardi - so 5M av 6:40ish, you can run quick. How fast do you think you could do 10M at in training 7mm ? You have the leg speed to run faster over 26.2.............The commitment is to swim/bik/run all year round. To do a Tri soon I'd just need a couple of longer rides. But I'm going to train hard on the turbo all winter, so no base type stuff and I'm doing a bike commute too.

• Hi All - hoping to break 3 in Barcelona in March .... not sure what I'm doing training wise at the mo - but one speed sesh on the track, one medium / long run during the week, and a long one at the weekend with some mixed pacing and race pacing seems to be the way to go..... with a few other bits thrown in like strength training (weights) and a bit of swimming....

Reading the Pfitzinger book seems daunting - the low mileage program is still way in excess of what I'm planning to do - don't think I can handle more than 50 miles a week. Did 3:16 at Yorkshire marathon off 25-30 miles a week... so I guess Sub 3 could be a possibility image ..... its interesting to see how everyone is going about things in slightly different ways!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Banksy - you're looking to beat your previous best by about 2.5 miles, so something significant needs to change in your training. Probably more miles, more quickly, more often. Trying to do it off the minimum amount possible is a tough proposition. 

Good mara choice though. I've run 2.45, 2.48 & 2.53 there recently. Might see you there next year for more of the same.  

• TRTR ✭✭✭

No double digit runs for a while and then 3 in a week, 10M inc 6MP ish, which came in at av 6:26 (MP is 6:30 to 6:40), defo a bit too quick, as i couldnt have done 4 or 5 more at that pace. So 3 runs for the week in a 15, 10, 10 stylie. Add 5 to 7M onto the long run, 2 or 3M onto the 10Ms and a lunchtime 5 or 6M in and thats where I can get approx 50M/week from with a nice bit of quality in (instead of easy paced commutes).

• TR - good going on the 10+ers. Seems like a good weekly plan you've got there. So you're definitely an advocate of 2 mediums plus a long run per week.

The tricky thing for me is if I make my morning commute run into a medium long, I still have to run home - I ended up running 22 miles yesterday.

Toro - nifty speedwork there. You're right, I really need to be careful not to peak too soon - I definitely did that in 2012.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Luke - this is a change of plan. I usually hide all of my weekday VLM miles in 2 or 3 easy paced commutes in a 5+5 or 7+5 way building to a few 13 +5 midweek days. I'm trying to put more quality in instead of simply hiding the miles in commutes. So 3 or 4 runs total, thats why they are mostly longer. One long run, one BAC type session, one long reps or MP type run and one other run if I can squueze it in (lunchtime 5 or 6M). A change is as good as a rest, trouble is I was tired toady after a hard turbo and swim Tues, a hard run Weds and a hard turbo and swim y'day.

• That's bordering on a scientific approach TR, it'll be beetroot juice next.

You'd like the Mark Steinle interview on marathon talk this week - very much back to basics in the Jonesy mould, and still the last Brit to run inside 2:10.  "These guys who think they need to run 100 miles a week training are kidding themselves - it need sto be at least 150."

• TR -- you're definitely a changed man training-wise. Bet 6:30s will feel fine as MP after a bit more of this.

Luke -- wow, 22M for a school day is quite something. I don't usually get to 20 even if I do a MLR on the way in, as the minimal run back is only 3M.

LD -- you're quite right about the "filter bubble" effect of course. I made up the bit about magnesium and muscle recovery, from what I'd maybe noticed myself, so now people will find this thread and confirm their belief if they Google it...

I was quiet yesterday as the works Xmas lunch precluded my usual midday posting, as well as slowing down my commute home with extra lard and beer. With a basic commute this week will be about 65M, which already feels like proper marathon training. I've got a 10M race in a couple of weeks though, so I should do some more speed next. Back of my leg was grumbly after a 2.5 hr meeting yesterday, but my foot is sufficiently OK now that I've given up the bit of foam that was wedged between my toes for the last month or two.

I've also taken delivery of a tube of TR's Shoe Goo today. The hot melt glue just wears down really quickly, so I'm hoping this stuff which is actually designed for the job of repairing worn soles is a bit more durable.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Wardi - on the forum yes but probably shouldn't be in here :??)

TR - how much cycling are you doing around the running ?
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

CW - sounds like you're right back into it training wise good to see. I finally bought some Talon 212s to race on the fells (£67, decent price) The 265s are pretty decent but the weight reduction will make a different in the Lakeland races. They have pretty decent protection for how light they are. I know you used them for BGR.

AW - might catch you at Ally Pally Met league. Down in London 20th so planning to run for Heathside then/ say hello to a few old faces. Good training from you too!

Selbs - glad you're running.

Thackers - I'd say Brighton would be fast on a good day but when I was down watching the wind was really strong. Would definitely be draining on those long promenades. 

Wardi - good training!

Came 9th out of 120 in Simonside Cairns fell race last Sunday and was 3rd NFR. We took the team prize too coming 3rd, 7th and 9th. Solid field without being as good quality of a Lakeland race but still a challenging B category. 11m with 1800 ft of ascent so a fair bit of climbing and lots of boggy parts round the back of the course. Well known race and great route! Legs getting stronger but still not in a groove on the road. That's gradually coming but will take a while I think. 

Might be be running NE xc champs tomorrow depending in how much re vision I get done as have two exams next week.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CD - sounds like Steinle isnt afreaid of putting some miles in. Numpties like me make enough time to be be able to do 100+mpw (if my training was all run related), so someone aspiring to run 2:10.......

CW - how many miles y'day and today then ?

Gobi - on a good week I try to bag 4 runs, 4 bikes and 4 swims, plus about 45min commuting on the MTB each day. Some weeks a bit less, as I only had two available lunchtimes (so I swam in them both) this weeks its 4 bikes, 3 runs and 2 swims. Evenings are kept free from training.

• Dan A - being 2.5 miles behind target puts it in perspective - Thanks! image

I feel getting down to 3:05 will be relatively simple it will be those extra 5 mins that will be the tough bit .... I know a few people who have run 3:01, 3:02 a few times and just can't crack that 3 hour barrier!

A good tapas feed and few estrella damns the night before should help image

What sort of pace do you guys do your long runs at? Planning on doing a hilly 15 mile trail run on Sun ... do you think trail and undulations make a big difference i.e 15 miles of hard terrain is similar to 18+ on flat terrain for example - would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this. Off road training is def better for all round injury prevention and strength IMO

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Keeping a good system TR, nice
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

Currently on hols in Switzerland with Mrs & Al p Jnr (and the in laws) for a combo of vin chaud, fondue, chocolate and Christmas market malarkey on the shores of lake Geneva, so not had much time to read back on here, but from what I have read....

PP - Fine spot of pulling last weekend, hope the foot continues to improve, would be nice to have you at Eastleigh for a bit of a burn up image

Toro - Good speed work earlier in the week. I'll be at the Hants XC Champs in Jan, it's my birthday treat to myself!

Jools - Hope the calf heals up rapidly

CW - Sounds like things are progressing nicely on your return, fingers firmly crossed it carries on in that direction

TT - Again good to hear your getting back into it

TR - Quality solid training, excellent going image

Selbs - thanks for the tip off on the Pirie reading material, looks very interesting.

RS - very nice fell racing result and congrats on the team prize!

Wardi - great bit of tempo running.

Things are progressiing in the right direction running wise for me I think. Originally I had planned to take this week off while on holiday, but my right AT tendon is now completely pain free (and only a tiny bit stiff now and then when running) and I wanted to get back to some form of normal routine before the Portsmouth Coastal marathon a week on Sunday. I'm treating the race as a extra long run so not planning anything special pace wise, just even pace and keep an eye on the heart rate. 

Managed to get in some decent runs whilst away, where we are staying (Montreux, of Freddie Mercury and Smoke on Water Lyrical inspiration fame) has several miles of car free lake side prom,so I've mostly been running back and forth along that. Generally just been running to effort and letting the pace set itself, but did a 7+7 tempo double today (Interspersed with a visit to a lake side castle!), can out as av 6:19 and 6:02/M with a sprinkling of sub 6 miles in there, so pretty pleased things are ok fitness wise. 

Don't want to over do it this week (43M in total), so taking Sat/Sun off while we travel back to Geneva to see friends and then home.

• RS78-- nice one on your fell race (and a good bargain on the XTalon212s too). Err, what does NFR mean?

TR -- only a total of 7M yesterday, 8M today, pretty minimal commutes. But 65M for the week as predicted. That's already a big step up by recent standards, and I didn't want to push my luck too far.

Banksy -- noooo, have the feed up on the Friday night. You don't want a bellyful of tapas on marathon day! And hills and off-road surfaces can make a small difference if they're small and smooth, or a massive difference if they're big and rough. All good training, but you need to do some running on smooth flat surfaces now and then to judge where you're at performance-wise.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - trying to.

Al_P - good to see you moving again.

banksy - no idea on trail ve road comparisons, I never run off road. Train for tarmac races on tarmac/pavements is my approach, a road marathon needs long road runs IMO. I also think that something like VLM needs flat long runs in training too, I do too many hilly long runs they are very different.

Cw - not bad, no more rest days for a while though ! You can have one on the 25th (I am).

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

CW - oh it's Northumberland Fell Runners. I run for Heaton in xc and road races and NFR for all fell races.

AL P - sounds like you're getting back to it. What wasthe problem to begin with, interested from a Physio student point of view. 

• Busy couple of days with Christmas stuff, etc, and only a quick read back, so apologies for anything I've missed, etc.

TR - there seemed to be a lot of that this time around too with the jealous behaviour, etc. It did make me laugh to see the outrage from folks about the winners self announcing on other media than the forums. Anyone would think that Asics were doing it out of the goodness of their heart rather than for publicity! Very nice training and impressive speed from Jr.

CW - you seem to be progressing quite nicely image

selbs - fingers crossed I see you at Edinburgh. And Frankfurt!

You sound both in decent shape and ready to crack on Al_P. Glad to hear that you are now pain free.

RS78 - sounds like you really enjoy the fell races. Well done.

I only managed 6 yesterday (shattered after a very late night at a works do), but back at it today with a 8/12 double (last 3 of the 12 this evening were about current MP - 5:51). I should be high 70s/low 80s for the week. 2 more low key weeks or so and then time to crack on.

• Good morning all.

Many congratulations RS78 on your race. Superb one.

Some excellent reps/tempos from folks e.g. TR, TT, Wardi, Toro, Luke. I concur with your plan TR with the quality and reckon you could be shaping up for a superb VLM.

Good too to see some people returning from the bench, Al_P, CW, PP (post cold) for instance.

Welcome to some of the newbies. Stick around. 

Busy couple of weeks for me in an English dep't has meant long commutes but I managed to keep up the running and when I start fully in January I've got my locker sorted in the sport centre, so all set. Wandsworth Common is great: with well lit tracks catering for early runners. So high 50's last week and mid-50's this means tickover maintained.

I'm popping on radio 4 tomorrow (around 7.25) to say something brief about Mandela. Huge honour.

In other news, England are a very boring cricket team.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Anyone doing Telford 10km tomorrow? I'll be in a white Royal Navy vest and silly bright orange shoes of elite start.

• RS78 - will definitely be doing Ally pally so see you there, may double up with a parkrun in the morning. 

Busy weekend ahead with family Christmas get together. Plan to get a good run in tomorrow and shorter quicker run in today.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

HR, I rented a flat just off Wandsworth Common (in Morella Road) during teaching practice in 1983 ... it had an outside toilet with rats; the good old days.

Good to see some excellent training being posted. Lukestar's 22 is a reminder to get the first 20 miler in before the new year. 

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Did 24 miler earlier today at a nice brisk pace (last few at 6.30 pace).  80+ for the week. Feeling like a long distance runner again. Was going to go tomorrow but last night was invited to play golf on the Brabazon at the Belfry (Ryder Cup course).

Might mean a few less beers at tonight's club Xmas party due to early start tomorrow. 

Anyone watching the darts? Two 9-darters today already. Amazing scenes. 

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

TT - Pain free but possibly not out of the woods yet, my AT tendon has been feeling a more tight and stiff today, no running, but went for a longish flat walk this afternoon and I could feel it. I can feel it more when I walk dorsi-flexing my foot (I.e. Heel first) and less if I consciencely fore-foot land. There's still some inflammation there (compared to the left ankle). No run tomorrow either and I'll see how it goes on Monday, flat running seems fine but will be avoiding hills for the moment!

RS - not wanting to fill up space on here with repeating my recent injury woes, I'll send you a PM, would be interesting to get your views...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

TT - hopefully the forums will settle down again, now that the competition winners have been announced.

HR - we'll see, I guess if I get enough miles in over the three main runs then I should be ok.

Dan - 24 ! wow, nice one. I was concerned that NS2 posted about bagging a 20 by New Year, I was hoping to tag a couple onto last Sundays 15 tomorrow and then getting up to 18 by the New Year. I watched Phil the Power Taylor last night. We have a dart board coming for Christmas.

AL_P - steady as she goes then, keep off the hills for now then.

Not much time again today, but bagged a 90min turbo early doors. Think I'm going to enter Eastleigh too, its about time Padams and me had a race again. I'll try to be within 5mins of him !

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

TR - I've entered the Country to Capital on Jan 11th. 40-odd miles so need to get the miles in. Done a 16-18 every Weds evening for past 5 wks too. 

Padams, CW & Njord have all done that race recently. Just keeping the thread presence really. 

• Pdavey - it's not f-in rocket science.