P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Oh, and chafing if you dress as wonder woman, I don't recommend that, I still have the scars.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

chaffing is something that has caught me out on longer runs. For races etc i always put vaseline in key areas, however never bothered in training ands have now learnt it is worth if running for than about 1hr 45.

• regarding the motivation:

It's worth signing up to jantastic on marathontalk.com.  I did it last year and it helped keep me going to make my run tally. It's just a bit of extra incentive to make the target number of runs and bash out your predicted training-race. Perhaps we could create a P&Ders team?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I was thinking the same thing Ten.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

DT ... mara training is toughimage ... mara racing is PAINimage. Well, those last few miles anywayimage.

So, 18/55 week 1, day 4 ... 9.3M at 8:16/m. I'm racing XC (5M) for the club on Sunday, so I will do my 12M LSR on Tuesday and replace the 8M GA+S. Saturdays will be my rest day, so I'll be doing Saturday's run tomorrow, but will stretch it to 6M to make up for the reduced mileage caused by the LSR/GA+S swap.

• I've currently signed up as an individual with a target of 5 runs per week (to match the P&D plan, of course). In Feb we also commit to our long run distances, then in March predict a race time. It fits in really well with Spring Marathon training - you just have to remember to log the number of completed runs at the end of each week.

Any ideas for a team name? We just need 6 or more people to commit. 

• icklemichael wrote (see)

Oh, and chafing if you dress as wonder woman, I don't recommend that, I still have the scars.

I think you intended to put this on that other thread image

• FergFerg ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

I often post this, but will again. I sort've try to do these when I can be bothered. Not easy though...

http://vimeo.com/9807775

I haven't seen this one before - one for the weeknd's YouTube list!

• I think i'm the only one in my office who read the signs about "wear your xmas jumper to work" day. Very professional :-

I've signed up for this too, Ten. If we can cobble togather six people to make a team, i'm in.

Did 4mi recovery jog today. Tendonitis (which is what I think the pain was) in my lower left shin has disappeared completely, as it usually does.

13mi with 8mi at MP (8:30 according to the mcmillan calc and VDOT calcs) is going to be 7:30am on Sunday morning, after i've dropped off Mrs Ginger at work. I'll be doing it round the common, on soft ground hopefully (well softer than pavement) and i'm starting to do regular calf strenthening and stretching to hopefully keep the tendonitis at bay.

have a great weekend y'all.

• I am in for jantastic but I'm only interested in being on the winning team - I don't want any moaning about 'injuries' or 'personal lives'. If you say you're running six times then you're going to run six times!

I had the day off work today so did 16 miles with 8 at marathon pace before breakfast - I had no niggles with my knee, none at all, honest
  • icklemichael wrote (see)
    I am in for jantastic but I'm only interested in being on the winning team - I don't want any moaning about 'injuries' or 'personal lives'. If you say you're running six times then you're going to run six times!

.. and god help anyone who doesn't hit their race target to the exact second! image 

12m MLR today. Pacing got a bit messed up in mile seven when I was held up by a herd of cows crossing the road image I made my time up in that mile and kept within my target heart rate range. That was pretty good, but then I forgot to slow down again and went too fast in the next mile. Other than that, I was happy enough with my pacing.

I've just got a 4m recovery run to fit in over the weekend to round off the first week.

• I could be up for Jantastic, though icklemichael is scaring me a little! image

I'll whisper this quietly... I'm taking the rest of the week off to recover from this damn virus. Pleased I started a week early now - I can just repeat week 3 of the plan... Simples! 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I am in too. Just need someone to set up a team...I am happy to set up if no one else going to - but we need a name...?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thing is with jantastic, you can lie, right?

"Worked" from home today. 5mi easy run at lunchtime. Problem with "working" from home is so easy to pig out all day, especially when work is as quiet as it as moment. Tucking into a lager and bombay mix currently.

• Nah, I think you have to be honest. I would be great if you could set it up, 15W. I'm crap at thinking up team names, especially humorous ones - your suggestion will do just fine for me. Enjoy the Bombay mix! 

• 15West wrote (see)

....you can lie, right?

"Worked" from home today. 

You seem well versed in the art, I see image 

Feel free to set-up the team. Can't think of any show-stopping names, so something along the lines of "P&D Spring Marathoners", or your own earlier suggestion is just fine.  

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok - I'll give you all till tomorrow to think of an amusing name...if no decent suggestions will be "P&D Spring Marathoners" or whatever I said on the previous page.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 17mi for me this morning after my breakfast has gone down.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I need to read up on what this fantastic thing is!

Rest day today in prep for 10k tomorrow. Quite pleased as well as had Xmas party last night. Plus, having not had a cold since May I have come down with a perfectly timed one!

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Just back from 17 miles @ 8:13 pace. Mentalist winds and rains made things 'interesting'! Now planning M&S party food or chilli nachos and cheese washed down with a few Magners for later on. Such difficult decisions image

Assuming that 15West's brekkie stayed down and DT19's man-flu hasn't taken hold, how's everybody else fairing today then?

• Easy 9 for me this morning. Mild groin grumble but hopefully nothing to worry about. 

• I just had 9 miles ga scheduled for today, so I did six miles of that and then a parkrun. Yesterday when my knee wasn't happy I stopped and did some stretching, today I just ran through it, both worked equally well but yesterday I had less fear.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

17mi in 2hrs this morning. All ok. Then went to a south indian restaurant and stuffed myself with the veg buffet.

• That's pretty sharp running for December 15W - very impressive

• 15 miles for me this morning and every step felt like a slog.  It's been a bit of a week so I'm hoping that it's stress and tiredness taking its toll and not the start of my husband's Man Flu.  HR was where it should have been for the pace so hopefully not viral.

As I wanted to turn round at 4kms I am chalking this one up to Mental Strength Training

• FergFerg ✭✭✭
    We Three Queens wrote (see)

15 miles for me this morning and every step felt like a slog.  It's been a bit of a week so I'm hoping that it's stress and tiredness taking its toll and not the start of my husband's Man Flu.  HR was where it should have been for the pace so hopefully not viral.

As I wanted to turn round at 4kms I am chalking this one up to Mental Strength Training

Well done sticking with it We Three Queens, those runs are tough - next week's equivalent will be a doddle by comparison.

• A bit of an adaption of P&D today.  I just feel I need some slow miles... so instead of 13 with 8 at MP,  I did a 14 LSR. 

Mind you, the first 4 miles were quite fast, largely because I had a gale blowing me on!  Anyway, overall avg 9:44.

Loved running in that wind and rain.

• I have got the MK Half today, my first HM!  As my schedule hasn't started yet I am using it as a gauge to see where my current fitness is at before I start the 18/55!