New to buy running watch (beginner in running)

Hi,

Looking to buy running watch. I was running in the past, but came back to running in the summer this year after my pregnancy.

Looking to buy some watch. Basically all I want is to get these measurements: 

distance run, time and speed. Any other are a plus, not necessity for me. 

Any suggestions?

Looking at Garmin  Forerunner 10 (do I really need such high tech watch with GPS?) or TIMEX Ironman Triathlon watch(women). Just do not know anything about this lap functionality. 

Any experience here?

Comments

• The fr10 is great, gps is basically there to make it easier for you to know how far you've gone. It really does make things a lot easier image 

• once you start upping the distance and being more creative you just go out and run then without the gps darn difficult especially if you go cross country at all to work out how far you've been. It's a lazy but useful training aid image I would recommend a gps watch as a great guide. 

• If you want to measure distance, you either use GPS or measure on a map like www.walkjogrun.net

I bought a Timex GPS watch for fifty pounds on amazon. It measures distance, but doesn't record your route. I like it. It looks like the price went up to £65.

Lap timing is good for checking your pace.

No, you don't need it. Before I had a stopwatch I would warm up, look at the clock, run, come back and look at the clock again.

• Garmin have 30% off some running watches using GARMIN30 code at the moment.. just snagged a 620 with £100 off as a gift tonight.  Check it out if it works on the watch you're after?

• You don't need a gps watch. Ive never had one.

To begin with I measured my regular routes on line.

Now I can run a route and I'll know pretty accurately how long it is from my time.

If you have a smart phone - use that and save your money.
  • Sorry to post again. But for new runners I think a GPS Watch is a great shortcut. Those with years of experience can pace themselves well, but when you are starting out it is hard to know what pace your running at usually you are going out way to fast, so something like a GPS watch is I guess a bit of a cheat, but it's a way to be able to get your pace about right from the beginning.

It is a bit like having a running partner, but without the having to struggle to speak to them when you are utterly knackered and out of breath. It's a lot more than a £7.50 stop watch agreed, but at about £75 for the fr10 it's not that expensive.

If you've got the money then personally I think having a GPS watch is a no brainer, in a modern lazy world why the heck not use the pacing help, and approximate distance advice it gives you.

• If you have the money - then go for it - but its far cheaper to ask yourself - can I chat at this pace ? If you can't - then you're running too fast.

As a beginner - you want to take it steady and build up endurance before speed.

Having a GPS watch will just tell you your speed - you would still need to work out if that was an appropriate speed for you. 10 minute miles means nothing unless you know what you should be doing.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

+1 for a GPS watch...  Of course it isn't necessary but I found it to be a great pacing aid when I started running (although I had a foot pod rather than GPS)...  And it doesn't mean you can't take it steady or build up endurance before speed.

• For me the GPS watch is not just about telling me my speed (though useful) - its the post run motivation of seeing what you have done, during run motivation of making that extra 1, 2, 5 miles or running for 10 minutes more than last time at the same pace.  Seeing elevation profiles helps understand why your pace dropped off/speeded up which stopwatches don't give you.  Mapping the GPS after the run really helps - I get motivated planning my next route " If I head off down that path I'll add a mile on next time.." and the automatic logging of it (looking back over the last few year to see training effect on race/route times/HR).  Sure, you can do all this manually without spending money but it takes time and more effort.  Plus I like gadgets!

cougie wrote (see)
    If you have the money - then go for it - but its far cheaper to ask yourself - can I chat at this pace ? If you can't - then you're running too fast.

I get this, it is a useful guide for beginners - but I've not experienced it myself.  To be able to chat (a bit, not comfortably) I've worked out I need to be at around 130-140bpm HR at most.  This puts me at around 11:30 minute miles.. way too slow for me to be useful I think (over 5 min/mile slower than my 2 mile race pace, 3 min/mile slower than marathon pace) and making it very hard to manage fitting in long runs timewise.  My body really doesn't like missing regular breaths to talk while exercising image

• I keep looking at GPS watches, as I love a gadget, but I use the free Nike+ app on my iPhone. Syncs to the program on my computer and does everything I need.

I run on my own and listen to music while I run, so if I bought a watch, I'd still end up carrying an iPod with me.

• Just received Garmin Forerunner 10.  Charged it fully.  Reset it.  Clicked to "go for a run" and 40 mins later still waiting for it to find my location.  I really dont think I'm in a difficult area for it to find.  Have tried emailing support at Garmin - but keep getting "there is a problem...." messages even though I've registered product.  REALLY frustrated.  Checked the full manual online, but there is no reference to what to do if GPS not working.  I know I'm a technophobe but I chose this watch for its simplicity and I STILL cant get it to work.  As I cant get past the "finding location" status I am assuming I cant actually use the thing?

• Is there a reset to factory defaults option?

If so i'd do that first also check online to see if there is a firmware update for the watch. 

• THere doesnt seem to be....... just the Reset option which I've tried.  I'll check out the update thing too.  No wonder I try to steer clear of technology - it never works for me even if its meant to be easy.  Apologies for the moaning but I am so disappointed - particularly as it has such great reviews.  I'll persevere and see what happens......

• GPS watches are very useful, but you have to be careful not to get completely obsessed by the statistics. It's very easy to forget that running doesn't have to be all about pace, split times, distances etc.

• I just wanted a watch which would show time and distance but I now seem to have an expensive stopwatch.  The Garmin website isnt user friendly and seem to make it difficult for contact.  The Garmin 10 had such good reviews I thought even I couldnt mess it up!

• Is it set to the right country / time zone.  If the time is out or set to the wrong continent or something daft that can really screw up GPS Finding.

• Oh lordy I just dont know!  The date is right but time wrong so I'll check the online manual to set that up properly to see if it makes a difference. No idea about checking the country........... thanks for your ideas though............. I'll keep trying

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

I only bought a GPS watch when I started training for my first half marathon. I wanted to ensure I wasn't running too quickly on my long runs more than anything.

Now I find it's a brilliant tool for simply running out of my front door and exploring. When I've done half of what I planned to run I begin running home. I also find it quite useful when running in the countryside/woods as you get a good idea of how far you are from civilisation.

I do try and go out without my watch every now and again when I run. It's nice to remember that sometimes it's nice to just go out for a run.

Ultimately it's up to you, but people bloody love the stats don't they? You only have to look at your facebook feed to see thatimage