Sub 3

Comments

• Cheers for the tips guys - but seriously if you do ALL your training on tarmac does that not drive you nuts? You must have a mighty fine playlists on your ipod or some cracking training partners?

I agree a mix of offroad / tarmac is the way forward.... trying to do around 60%/30%/10% Trail to Tarmac to Tartan ratio at the moment. There could be some science in that ..... what is your TTT ratio? image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Tartan will help you in those Scottish runs!
  • Luke - I didn't see any sub-2:45 pacers on the list so I think you might be out of luck there.

RS - Nice felling. I'm definitely retiring oop North...

Some nice marathon-shaped training being put in already. Looks like I'll be getting myself to the start line for VLM, if at all, with the help of much x-training if my foot recovery continues to falter... Southern Counties Vets XC yesterday, my first run since Tuesday's track session.  Good to catch up with CL for the first time in ages, since his club have moved into a posh stadium for Tuesday night training.  image

The race went pretty well; we won the team race for our first time, although I was 4th scorer and it was three to score so no medal for me. (Boo!) Quality field, I was 23rd/100 overall (V40-49) and 13th V40-44. A couple of drags but pretty fast course, 6.5 miles @ 5:42/m.  However, despite the kind soft grassy surface I'm back in hobble mode this morning, pretty much as though the last couple of months' relative rest hasn't actually occurred.  Physio scheduled to see me again on Tuesday to see how the XC went so will work out the next plan of attack.  

Bike ride this morning then.

Arse.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Good miles then Dan

Banksy -  no training partners, no ipods. Part of endurance sports is getting to know yourself.

PP - XC shoes away for a while then.

18 for me this morning and it was much easier than last weeks 15, I guess thats the benefit of some double digit runs in the week rather than 5 milers.

• PP -- bah, sorry about the foot. You're clearly still nicely fit though from that XC pace.

TR & DanA -- good long stuff. I'm a bit lapsed on the Country to Capital, as I only did it once (in 2010 to celebrate my 40th). I have a GPS track if it's useful BTW.

Hope your race went well Toro.

Good session for me today too. Again I did the 20M on grass with some reps for my speed and a steady bit at the end for endurance. The reps were slow compared with a couple of months ago, but overall it was pleasing:
      1.7M warm-up
      10x {1 lap hard (5:49/M), 1 lap easy (7:43/M)}, 0.65M per lap
      5.5M brisk steady @ 6:43/M....   total 20.1M @ 6:49/M avg.
    A mere nuance of jip from my back R thigh but basically OK. I think standing around at my club social last night probably did it good (sitting on chairs makes things worse, but overall I'm obviously not suffering much now).

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Some of the sessions you lot knock out are bonkers, lol Fairplay 

TT - cheers, yeah I like the fell racing environment. Obviously like the climbs and scenery and having walked in the fells since I was a kid I kind of feel at home on them.  I also seem to have a decent pair of legs on them. Invariably they start and finish by a pub and there's usually tea and cake! there's also that feel that everyone is in it together and you'll see the top runners in the lakes just having a good chat to every one at the finish. Is 70-80 a week your standard mileage, what's the most you'll go up to?

HR - Wandsworth common is nice, used to have a friend living there. Good to see you running given what you were told a while ago.

PP - nice xc run, shame you didn't count but still a strong run.

CW - that's an impressive 20m there. I showed your BG YouTube vid to a NFR Clubmate, he was very impressed! Reckon you'd smash it with support! Do you find the Talons stretch at all, they feel like a good fit just very snug around the forefoot area? They dnot feel uncomfortably tight but just unlike a fit I've had before.

Dan- good to see you running well Dan. How's your Mrs getting on at St George's?

AW - see you next Saturday then......on that hill :-/

TR - solid 18, are you doing London again? Be good to see what you come out with after the pbs this autumn.

An hour and 10 this morning and the lads on my course seem to have helped my hamstring along with some massage and trigger point release (knots basically). That was the best my gait felt on the road yet And the first time I've enjoyed running on the road for a while. Probs look at a 14ish next weekend and a 16 after that. XC with Heathside and AW to look forward to next sat. Felt much fitter today.

Legs are very Achey as I did my first leg conditioning session yesterday, lots of hamstring work. A good feeling though. Two practical exams on tues and thurs next week :-/, desperate to reach Thursday at 2pm when it'll all be over, haha

• RS - x-talons (and other inov-8 shoes with the precision fit) are fairly close around the forefoot - think it's designed to help on technical stuff when you don't want your foot sliding around, find mine (and oroc-280s, similar shoes just with metal dob spikes for orienteering) very good.

Back from a week of orienteering in the lake district (with no signal so slightly delayed report from last weekends race to follow) including lots of slow but "interesting" running - did ~2.5hrs of orienteering most days on some great but very hard underfoot areas. Didn't start off too well after sliding down a bank and leaving my little finger caught on something further up, strapped it up and not too bad but should probably get it x-rayed - at least cold streams work very well for icing injuries. Fine for running with though and didn't affect the rest of the week apart from making typing a bit slow now.

One great run (/climb/fast walk depending on the terrain) around the Langdale pikes including Bowfell and Crinkle crags, 12.5 miles with 4500ft+ of climb and some great views of Scafell. Took just over 3 hrs + stops including a slightly interesting scramble up to Bowfell with 500ft of climb in about a 1/4 of a mile.

Did a small xc race yesterday round Wimbledon common (again, an old boys race for various schools) on pretty knackered legs so happy to come 2nd with just under 5 miles in 26:46, couldn't pick up the pace on the flat enough to keep with the winner who went close to 26 mins. He wasn't part of  complete team though so didn't count and so got decent trophy out of it which was a nice surprise.

Easy runs for the next few days then will start to get the mileage up again, and will aim to do a good length long run next Sunday.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Bufo - cheers, they feel pretty good on to be fair, looking forward to trying them out. Sounds like you pretty much did the Langdale horsehoe that I ran in October then. Did you run the horseshoe In October too?

• Some good running being Done

Good week of mileage and 24 dan

Nice 20 with reps CW and good 22 luke

Good 18 TR too

Hope things are getting better Al_p

Sounds like a good week in the lakes bufo

RS78 - the hills a killer for me on that 3rd lap 

Nice xc yesterday PP

Solid weekend for me. A good speedier session yesterday mixing MP, HMP, 10k and 5k paces and a good 21 miles at 7.25 pace today. Felt good today despite the strong wind out in Cambridgeshire fenland!

• PP I know this sounds counter-intuitive but some of my worst niggles used to occur on grass. Might it be worth trying a flat stretch of tarmac soon to see if it's any better? I don't know if there's any science in that, or if it helps. Good racing though anyway. P.s. see below too!

Top work from you up in the Lakes Bufo

Nichs I liked the anecdote about Wandsworth Common. And similar good vibes about the common from you RS78. Really happy to have stumbled upon that. London parks are fab. Good comeback shaping up RS78. Likewise Al_P - steady as you go.

Some very good marathon training distances being touted e.g. TR, CW, A.W, Lukestar and Dan. Dan since you can perform so superbly like that on an ordinary training run there has to be something in your race preparation that affects some, though by no means all, of your performances? 

20 miler for me up and over the Surrey hills. Followed the Wey from Guildford to Godalming, then through Farncombe to Compton, Puttenham and then the North Downs Way up, down, up etc. through to Farnham and caught the train back. Magic. Managed to keep a decent pace despite the climbs so pretty happy with that. Most importantly, PP, I finished it by joining a friend for Waitrose honey mustard glazed roast chicken, roast potatoes, red cabbage and then bread and butter pudding, washed down with a South African red to keep in the spirit of the day. Proper job.

• RS -- I don't find my X-Talons tight around the forefoot at all, even though I have a rather awkward protubering toe, and have found other shoes tight at the front. Maybe I just ordered them in a fairly big size. Or maybe they've changed the design since I bought pair#2. Glad your hamstring is improving, anyway.

Bufo -- sounds like great stuff in the Lakes, and congrats on the 2nd. I'm looking forward to hearing how the Varsity XC went -- I saw the results, and noted that there were only seconds in it between a few of you, and you were a scorer. Full or half Blue then?!

AW -- good long run -- not sure where you were in Cambs, but the wind wasn't so bad in town.

HR -- likewise on your hilly run -- North Downs or the Greensand Ridge? You're taking me back to O-level geography lessons (in Surrey)...

Just back from the Mrs' birthday outing to Pizza Express and feeling far too full right now. Why did I order the mini-pudding after that huge calzone? My weight has gone up significantly recently, and that's before Xmas has even started. Must try and be a bit sensible during this week at least...

• Sounds like a nice 20 mile run HR

CW - out near Chatteris and Sutton, very exposed and wind was fairly strong.

• Charlie North Downs Way although I'm not sure if that's also the Greensand Ridge? Actually it's really part of the Hog's Back. I picked up the NDW at Compton, then to Puttenham where it snakes its way through some quite obscure and isolated stretches until it disgorges at Farnham. It's a wonderful section where if you broke a leg you'd wonder if anyone would show up all day. Love itimage

• In awe at Kent AC's old codgers squad at the XC in Biggleswade, with PP not in the scorers at 5:42 pace. I was back at 6:07 pace which I was pretty happy about. Anyway, with our state-of-the-art facilities at our new stadium, we'll soon be challenging!

18m at 7:04 today. Enjoyed Mark Steinle interview on Marathontalk. For 2:09 you just need consistent160m/w. That's all.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

RS - all good thanks. Term 4/9 completed & let loose on the public for the 1st time in recent weeks. Trust all similarly well with you. You name came up at the club Xmas do on Sat. I was sat next to Martin G (he spoke highly of you!)

HR - all due to going out at the pace I want to run, rather than the pace I should run. All or bust. Very rarely anything in the middle (eg only 5 maras between 3.00 & 3.10 out of 40-odd road marathons).

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Loads of good training by various people, in particular Dan with a nice long run with some quality, CW with his usual crazy laps and bufo in the Lakes inc. a fast 5M XC.

Standard weekend for me with just over 2 hours running on Saturday morning (work Xmas party on the Friday night so wasn't feeling on top form when I set off at 7:50am to meet clubmates) and 2:40 on the bike on Sunday before the weather became awful. Cut the bike slightly short to get back for a workman coming round the house at 11, who eventually arrived at 12:30....

• Some good long runs coming in, can really tell 'official' training is starting.

23.5m at 7:06p/m for me for 75miles for the week.  20 more miles than this time last year and better sessions mixed in there so hoping it's going to be worth the 5 mins off eventually.  Early days yet though.

Doing my first xc at parliament hill in Jan as my running club has suggested to try it.  Anyone done this one before?  I take it I'll have to get spikes for this?  Can anyone recommend some cheapy ones and what length spikes would I need?

• DanA - some great stealth training since Abingdon, and looks like it's starting to show results alreadyimage

Sweedo - that's a serious long run, at great pace. Looks like your applying the same theory as I am: if you improve on all aspect of your training (volume, number of long/medium/tempo runs) then you can't help but get a better time.

Sorry, just a quick post at work - will catch up on everyone else this evening.

I opted for a rare race this weekend - A local 10+k offroad affair (Bath Skyline 10k), not dissimilar to my commute run. I'm waiting for the results to see if I bagged 1st V40.

Unfortunately it's a third week in a row without a proper long run. (The 22 I'm getting praised for was only a 14+8 double)

//
  • Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Good to see some nice training going on.  I am still out of action - which is rather devastating (in small picture terms, obviously).  I have been doing a bit of pool running and a bit of swimming - I think the swimming is probably better for general aerobic boosting, given it's quite difficult to get the HR up with pool running, though I am unspeakably sh*t at swimming.  Tried taking 3-4 days without any exercise last week to facilitate recovery but didn't really seem to make a diff.  Did get out or a very easy 4 mile run last week and then 7 over the weekend as I felt a bit better but I think it's put me back a bit - shin was ok for 3-4 miles then got a bit sore and I think must be affecting my gait quite a bit as I've had nasty calf pains.  In general, having not run for 6 weeks or so, my muscles really felt it.  

Trying not to get too depressed but I hate not being able to run and realising that I was in great shape at the end of October and I'm definitely not at the moment.  Too much comfort eating too.  Grrr...

Sorry for the indulgent post.  Reading about the great winter training going on does make it even more frustrating though...

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

sweedo - yes, I've run at Parliament Hill many times, as have several others on here. Basically it's hilly, muddy and just generally hard! Without spikes you'll struggle in a few parts of the course - you'll get around fine but will lose a bit of time. I assume it's the Southerns you're thinking of, in which case it's 15km (very long for XC). I'll be there, can't wait....

Nice long run by the way!

Lev - don't worry, it's December so not a critical time of year, and sounds like you're managing a bit of exercise to keep ticking over anyway. Just get that injury sorted before you try too much.

• Yes Pad, it's the 15k.  Bit of a baptism of fire then.  Hopefully say hello to you at some point in the day and get some last minute tips, besides just don't be sh1t. Might see what spikes there are in the sales then

• I might be there for that one too - junior's doing the, er, junior race so I may as well give it a go even though it's the sort of course I usually avoid like the plague.

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

Nice to see the long runs starting to reappear into the plans, CW, HR, Sweedo,AW, CL and TR. Some excellent XC racing from Bufo and PP and a nice offroad 10k from LukeStur as well (fingers crossed you bagged the V40 top spot there!)

Lev - Are you trying any other remedial techniques for your shin, or just letting it recover on it's own?

9M easy in the wind and rain this morning, only complaint from my right ant tib muscle was a spot of tightness/discomfort likely caused by a bit of over enthusiasm with the self massage/foam roller yesterday. The tendon seems fine now, but I found quite a sore spot in the top of my ant tib muscle (near the knee), which when i press on it just right I can feel right down in the tendon, where my initial problem first appeared. So giving that area of muscle a good bit of massage/heat treatment (on RS' good advice) along with some mobilisation exercises to stop it stiffening up.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Parliament Hill in January is cold, very muddy and 3 long laps ...

• Regards Parliament Hill, I've done the London Championships & Southerns there in the last couple of years, "spiritual home of cross country" it may be & that's all well & good, but I'm not a fan.

There is much better cross country running to be had than Parliament Hill IMO no matter what the running royalty might have you believe.

I've done better cross country races in Richmond Park & Somerhill School in Tonbridge for anyone who has done the Kent Cross Country league before; excellent cross country course.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

HR - how does catching the train work after a 20M, back home in your run kit ?

AL_P - sounds like you are healing up.

Looks like my running legs are toughening up a bit, I backed up y'days 18 with the 5M inc 20mins of 30sec hard.30sec easy today at lunch.  

• RS - haven't done any fell races in the lakes, though would definitely like to some time. Route we took is here: http://www.strava.com/activities/100050408, fairly similar to the race I think just with a slightly more direct route up Bowfell.

HR - sounds like a good route, need to plan some longer runs near Farnham now (normally just do laps of a nearby forest but could do with something more interesting).

Aiming to do more of the big xc races this year, so probably surrey counties, southerns and nationals which should be interesting

Finally slightly delayed varsity match report:

The day started well seeing the Cambridge women get 6 in the top 7 to easily win their race while warming up. The start seems quite different to most xc races with just 16 runners and a 7.5 mile course including a water jump, some fairly steep + muddy ups and downs and flat paths and grassy fields pretty much including any terrain you can race on.

One of the Oxford runners took it off pretty fast and went ahead early, and stuck on the back of the next group for the first bit of the race. Felt pretty good but working a bit hard for so early in the race and dropped back a bit on the first long flat section after a few hills, with a couple of Oxford runner going past. Didn't have much idea how many were in front/behind me at this point so just focussed on gradually working back towards and past the first runner in front of me over the next mile or so.

Middle section was pretty hard going and wasn't closing on the next runner until another Cambridge runner caught up with me and ran better from then passing the next Oxford runner and staying ahead until the end, just keeping in front on the final straight (fastest I've run at the end of a race for a while).

Came 9th overall and 6th Cambridge runner (with 6 to score) in just over 40 mins, we also got all 8 in before the 5th Oxford scorer to get the biggest win for quite a while - had no idea it was going that well during the race. The whole team got full blues (you have to beat a scoring Oxford runner) and had a very enjoyable dinner that evening.

If anyone's interested there's a video of the race here, couldn't have really hoped for it to go much better.

• Hi all, just checking in as I have now switched my training focus to London as of last week! Some awesome long runs already being posted Sweedo and HR. impressive stuff! It will take me a few weeks to build up to a 20 miler I think! 

Awesome varsity running bufo I have just checked on PO10 and you ran a race I did at St Neots, that was a good course through the trees! Your Cambridge team had some fast guys that day too! I think I was 50/58 on that one haha!

A quick bit of background of what I've been up to.. I finally broke 17 mins for 5k at Hull parkrun, then did it again the week after to prove it wasn't a fluke.. Which smashed my previous PB by 30 seconds or so, the thing that triggered the attempt was I ran Leeds Abbey Dash, and having targeted 36 minutes it felt too easy at the halfway point so I stepped it up, and matched my 5k pb in the second half..

then a couple of weeks ago I was in Florida and ran 80.01 for a half in mega heat (compared to what I was acclimatised to anyway!) 

The sensible target for London is sub2.50 but my heart says 2.45 so we'll see whether I can convert relative success at shorter distances into marathon pace..!

• Just popping in to show my face.

Not run much recently as work goes ballistic this time of year. However with pride and a title to defend yesterday in Oxfords "Santa Dash", I went out hard and despite a stitch managed to hold on. The guy who came second was the same one as last year and was a bit miffed to get codgered two years in a row. Not a great time, 11:59, but fast enough for a large box of fudge.

Hope everyone is keeping injury and illness free at present.

Have a good Christmas one and all and don't forget to tip your postie.

Postie