Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - ha image Funny enough, Mrs Malcs said the same thing about the budget.

Slightly gutted about the 10s per mile myth. I guess this means I have to do some hard work instead then? image

It'll be interesting to see how the racing shoes go. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to experiment as I wouldn't normally have been this extravagant.

Freemers - Great to have you along for the first session! image

I totally understand not wanting to change shoes, particularly if you've had problems in the past with injuries. 

Seren - thanks! Ha ha image Well, fat arms are notoriously difficult things to sort out. People have had them for years and not been able to lose the weight. I just need to find some suitable exercisesimage

ArrowsLou - it was indeed fascinating. I do feel rather guilty at having had the opportunity. 

Ha image Yes, there is so much more to this than just running. It's a total minefield!

Steve - many thanks for your time, it was great speaking with you on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to kicking things off today.

The fit and healthy bit will be a challenge. With two children at school bringing a wide variety of diseases home on a regular basis I may have to segregate myself from the rest of the household image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TRAINING PLAN WEEKS 1-3

WEEK ONE Dec 16-22 (approx 27M)
    Mon 3M easy (approx 9:00 miles in 27 mins)
    Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 4 x 800m at approx 10km pace (3:30) with 400m jog in three minutes , then 1M jog
    Wed 4M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 34 mins)
    Thu 4M with middle 2M at marathon pace (sub 8s –rest 9s) approx 34 mins
    Fri Rest
    Sat 8M easy (approx 9:00 miles in 72 mins)
    Sun 3M inc hill session or circuit

WEEK TWO Dec 23-29 (approx 30M)
    Mon Rest
    Tue 4M of 1M jog, then 12 x 200m at mile/5km speed (approx 45-50 secs) with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 5M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 42 mins)
    Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (22 mins) then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat Parkrun or 30 mins fartlek (approx 4M)
    Sun 12M easy (approx 9:00 miles in 1 hours 48)

WEEK THREE Dec 30-Jan 5 (approx 35M)
    Mon Rest
    Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10km pace (approx 7 mins) with 400m (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 6M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 51 mins)
    Thu 6M progression run – starting at 9s and each mile faster with last two miles inside 8s.
    Fri Rest
    Sat 13M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 1:51)
    Sun 4M inc hill session or circuit

So this is how it looks for the next 3 weeks. As you can see it's a 5-6 session per week schedule with speed work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

Right - off out for session number one!

• Thanks for sharing your schedule Malcs. I'd be interested from Steve what he feels are the benefits of the 200m reps (week 2) for marathon training. I tend to steer clear of any intervals under 800m, but always wonder if I should be doing shorter reps for some of the sessions.

I feel I have let you down already though Malcs - I have had to bin my planned lunchtime recovery run today as something has come up at work, and I can't do it later either. So I am having a rest day!
  • How was your easy 3miles Malcs?

Thanks for your explanation about the racing shoes. Like Minni I'm also interested to know if racing shoes is recommended/appropriate for marathon race day.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Freemers - I do some 200s (I love them!) always big sets like 12x or 14x and I find they are really good for injecting a bit of speed, especially when I find speed so hard.  Its good to get some faster turnover of the little legs and the session doesn't take much out of you.

• Hey Malcs,   Your training plan should have read:

Christmas Day: Wake up, Open Presents, Wed 5M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 42 mins), Eat, Drink and be very merry!

Boxing Day: Wake Up, take some ibruprofen, drink some rehydration fluid, go back to bed, wake up again, eat a bacon sandwich, Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (22 mins) then 1M jog, Eat Drink and be very merry again.

Fri: Rest Day!

• Malcs - No offense was taken. I was just a bit confused - especially as I'm not a chocolate eater.

That training plan looks tough and is 8 miles longer than my first week. 27 mins for 9 miles? Wowsers. Inspirational to see though.

Good luck.

• 200s are less relevant to marathon training than other distances and not essential but I think good to run controlled speed sometimes without being in a tired state,

but it is essential not to blast them and they should only be very slightly faster than the pace you run other reps. I quite like doing them off very short recovery - ie start every minute and if you only say get 20 seconds recovery, then you can't run them fast and do any damage! 

• 20 secs recovery image Now that's tough - but I like the idea of controlled pace image
  • 3 miles easy done, tick, and I missed the downpour. I like the training so far image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hey Malcs - very busy today so no chance to comment properly, but loved the store day report. I shouldn't worry about you feet pointing to the right, it just means you might be best doing your intervals in a clockwise direction (ie the wrong way) around the track otherwise you will run off the bends!!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Freemers - you are completely forgiven image 

Sticky - first 3 wnet great thanks. No problems but then I would be worried if there were on day1 image

On race day I'll use whatever shoes I feel most confident in. I plan to try the racing shoes in a long run to see how they go. 

Reg - ha image Steve has given me Christmas day off but to be honest I quite like a run on Christmas day to get away from the chaos!

welshgje - thanks, good to know! It was a little confusing image 

The plan looks challenging but I'm confident I can do it. It needs to be fairly tough to get where I want to be.

Next year 9mm pace will feel easy to you Gareth, just wait and see.

Steve - wow, 20 secs recovery! I'll be sticking to my 1min recovery as per the plan image

ArrowLou - excellent! Are you following this too then? Tomorrow is a little tougher - this was the calm before the storm image

DS2 - ha ha image I like it. Wise words.

• Wow, this thread moves along fast!!!  Really enjoyed your report on the store day Malcs, i suspect one of your arms is more fat and less muscle, because of the high rep exercises you put it thru . . . umm I can't say more than that can I really, this is a public forum after all Mr P

Hi Steve Marathon Coach great to see you on here again, and thanks for the advice last year!  After following RRR and your advice, I've been working on all my race times the last year.  Managed to take my 5k from 24:01 to 22:33, 10k from 52:50 to 48:05 and my half from 1:59:03 to 1:50:20  Both the 10k and half were on pretty hilly courses as well.  So getting closer to where I need to be for a BQ image  Hoping to achieve London GFA in 2014.

Nice looking plan there!  I had thought the same about speed intervals for marathon trainng, but I did some 400m reps on my club run the other night, and I do feel like it makes a positive difference.

• It'll be parkrun for me on Christmas Day. Nothing like a good 5k burn up to start the day image
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Angela Isherwood!!!!!!!image

• Malcs - yes, I'll give it a go. I lead a speedwork session at the club on Tuesdays, so they have to do the distance my schedule says! I am also encouraging a group at work to go out Wed lunchtimes, but not sure they can run 8:30s so I may need to swap that with an easy one as Wed is the best day for me to commute to Farnborough. I often do my long runs on a Friday with my running partner, so there will be some jiggling round, but I'll get them all in and keep a sensible order somehow! Oh, it does feel good to be back into training, I missed it not doing an autumn marathon. 

• I like the idea of a run on Christmas day but Mrs Reg may take something very valuable off me an serve instead of Pigs in Blankets.  And by the time i've watched Elf, Muppets Christmas Carol and the Queen, I'm done.

I'm liking the training plan and have already got a couple of sessions in mind to adapt. 4M with 2M at marathon pace is on for tomorrow.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I like the look of the training plan so far. With all the major marathons being early next year it feels odd starting plans just before Christmas. I think I will run Xmas eve and Boxing Day but the only exercise for me on Christmas Day will be walking the dog.
  • Great write up on the store day Malcs, makes me even sadder that I missed out.  Am pretty sure I would have had no trouble spending £500!

Good luck with the training.  I'll prob be following James' thread as that's my time goal but will dip in now and again to hear how you're getting on.  Plus I've entered Paris so may see you there!

• Regmas Time Mistletoe and Wine wrote (see)

Hey Malcs,   Your training plan should have read:

Christmas Day: Wake up, Open Presents, Wed 5M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 42 mins), Eat, Drink and be very merry!

Boxing Day: Wake Up, take some ibruprofen, drink some rehydration fluid, go back to bed, wake up again, eat a bacon sandwich, Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (22 mins) then 1M jog, Eat Drink and be very merry again.

Fri: Rest Day!

I vote you get rid of steve and install Reg as coach.I like his schedule betterimage

I did 4 miles easy this morning.do i get a gold start image

• mega busy on here image 

Wot others said: would have very easily spent 500 quid or more in that shop image

Malcs: whoa, no rest for the wicked then ... training sessions over xmas - bring it on image  You'll have the roads to yourself though - I lurrrve running on xmas and boxing day  but seren's alternative plan sounds not bad either image

Be very careful with those race shoes. I recommended some to a friend and she ended up with a real bad foot injury as her biomechanics were not suited to that type of shoes image   we are still friends though image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I love my race day lightweight shoes. They work for me but I'd only reccomend then to people with good running form and only for races where the surface is a decent quality.
  • and to be honest i wouldn't try out new shoes if my old ones worked well.........this is going to 4 hard months where you really don't want any injuries.why chance it by trying something newimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - so you're saying ease off on the dumbbell curls then? Or at least do the same number on each arm, gotcha. Thanksimage

Freemers - I didn't realise they did Christmas day parkruns - awesome!

ArrowsLou - excellent, welcome on board! image

Reg - lol image I think you better play safe, have a rest day on the 25th and preserve your unmentionables. Are you going to follow this plan too then? The 4M session is scheduled for Thursday. Wouldn't want you missing out on the half mile repeats image

Millsy - hmm, not sure whether my running form would fit into that category. 

You do know you get a mucky drink for not running on Christmas day?image

Ruffles - thanks! Yes, James was in your group wasn't he? His short race times are very similar to mine. I think he could be way under 4 if he does well with the endurance.

chickadee - whoa, thanks for the cautionary tale! I will proceed carefully (or maybe even wait until post marathon, we'll see).  

seren - luckily the training shoe I've been given is a Nimbus which I'm already using. I certainly don't want to be taking unnecessary risks.

I think you may have made Reg's day with your vote of confidence in his Christmas schedule! image

• I#m doing a park run on christmas day image

• Malcs  firemans pole - secret lair - wonka esque - out foxed. Are you really a suppressed childrens novelist? Is the software engineer a secret cover?. I hope those Nimbus are the spanking brand new Nimbus 2000 image

Loved the store write up, very informative and hilarious at the same time. Training plan makes interesting reading, be good to compare notes along the way, if you have time. I can see this thread being a roller coaster or a ride. Good luck!! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol image  Ha ha, if only! Very astute observation though - are you really a psychologist as cover for your super hero work?image

On the training side, have you started on a plan yet for Brighton?

I really like the look of what Steve has in store. I won't pretend that some of it doesn't scare me a little but it's quite nice to have something to get the adrenaline going.

Would be a pleasure to compare notes - I see that as a big part of the process. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm in trouble now, I get fined from the rugby guys for running and now in getting fined from the runners for not running.
  • Thank you seren, I am available for training plans, but have no qualifications, so cannot guarantee results.image

Definitely going to follow the plan, going to do taunton on the 6th April and looking to get nearer 3:45.00

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Millsy - ha ha image yes, as that great philosopher Bart Simpson once said, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. I'll order in the tabasco! image

Reg - Excellent! I reckon they'll have you at bootcamp next year. You do know it's like Top Gun don't you? If you hit your target you get asked to come back as an instructor. image