P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Hi all,

only just noticed this thread... I am running Brighton marathon for the first time in April, will be my third Mara after completing London twice.  I am aiming for around 3.45 and using the P&D up to 55 miles 18 week schedule.

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard andrew.

The 55/18 plan should give you plenty of scope for your 3:45. I've tried the 12/55 plan before and felt that 12 weeks was a little too tight if life gets in the way. 18 weeks definitely gives a bit of wiggle room and helps the confidence.

• Hey Andrew.  You'll be on the same strip of tarmac as me then.  Welcome to the thread.  I've added you to the list. As you can see, I'm keeping my distance from you.  Nothing personal. It just happens.

6 April: Brighton
    mace - 3:05 18/70 with some fiddling about
    icklemichael - 3:05 - 18/70
    Nose Nowt - 3:40 - adapted 18/55

andrew heley - 3.45 - 18/55
    Lisa 123 - sub 4 - 18/55
    Super Moo - sub4 - 18/55

6 April: Lochaber
    StewartC - sub 4 - 18/70

6 April: Manchester
    Kease7 2:59 18/70
    Debutant 3:05 18/70
    NSGNR - sub 3.45 - mix of 18/55 and 18/70
    AgentGinger - sub4 - 18/55

6 April: Paris 
    yer_maj - sub 4 or die - 18/55

6 April: Zurich
    cleanshoes - sub 4 - adapted Higdon novice 2 for now, then 12/55

13 April: VMLM 
    Ryan Snell - sub 2:45 - adapted 12/85
    15West- sub 2:48 - 18/70/85 (mix of both) 
    Andrews148 - 2:52 - 18/70
    Freddy 1 - Sub 3.00 - 18/85
    DT19- Sub 3.05 - 18/55 
    Literatin - sub 3:05 - 18/70
    marrows - sub 3:10 18/70
    Ramjet - 3:25 - 18/70
    Dr.Dan - 3:25 - 18/55 (Haddapted)
    running220 - sub 3:30 - 18/70 
    Shazmo – sub 3.30 – 18/55 (may reconsider goal as currently injured)
    PJH92 - sub 3.45 – 18/55
    Tenjiso - sub 4:00 - 18/55
    Rachelcgen - sub 4:30 - 18/55

21 April: Boston
    Shazmo – sub 4 – 1 week recovery after VMLM

5 May: Belfast 
    Fergster - sub 3:05 - 18/70

5 May: Milton Keynes 
    Xyloid - sub 4:00 - 18/55

• Thanks for all the kind words.  Being 46 years old and only started running 13 months ago I did feel as though I had left it all too late in life, but seeing some of the older folk running and looking great whilst doing it, I realise that I can still get better as I get older!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

46 seems to be about average age for a lot of the races that I go to.

Welcome on board andrew.

PDSM ? I don't get it? image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Did my LT run at lunchtime. Went ok...tried to keep to 6min/mi for the 4xLT mi which I did round a trailpath loop as everywhere else where I usually run near work was too boggy.

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

15West - google BDSM. At HOME!! To reiterate... Not Safe For Work image

Good work on you LT lunchtime run. Looking forward to 10 after work.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

So - is to be PDSM then? or..."P&D Spring Marathoners" or "RW's P&Ders" or "Pfitzinger and Douglasers" or "The Advanced Marathoners"

Vote now!

• thanks all,

about two weeks into the schedule and tweaking has already began due to illness! Not worried about it mind as my previous two marathons training has ended up all over the place! (esp the first)

ran 10miles on Sunday with 6 at a little quicker than MP.  Have to say, im not a fan of the 10mile slow mid week runs in the dark. Another one tomorrow image

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Andrew, any schedule tweeking automaically means you're doomed. May as well give up now mate. Just ask the others they'll tell ya.

And I spoke too soon about my impending comeback from recovery. 20 min on the dreadmill last week went well, but a 3 mile gentle run on the road on Friday resulted in me dragging my leg round all weekend. image Back to square one!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

My foot niggle has turned into an injury. Glad i started the programme 2 weeks early!

Was supposed to be doing a 5 mile recovery tonight but having raced in flats yesterday its just too sore. Therefore having a few days of spin classes. I have a physio appointment tonight for a sports massage anyway so will get the foot looked at there.

Bad news on yours shazmo, on a plus point theres still plenty of time!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

recover well Shazmo and DT19.

• Another +1 for PDSM

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok, PDSM it is. Cant' wait to find out what BDSM is.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok - it's on there. All aboard.

• Just make sure your daughter isn't sharing your computer again at the same time!!

• Today's run was 8m with 10 x Strides. They felt like hard work going up an incline into the wind/rain and were slower as a result. Later in the afternoon I've developed a pain just above my left knee (d'oh! image). I've iced it and will take some ibuprofen, then cross my fingers it's nothing to be too concerned about.

I've joined the team. There doesn't seem to be much on the Jantastic site at the moment? I suppose more will appear when the competition starts (rivalling and stuff).

• 9 miles with 5 at HM pace for me this morning.  What a difference a lazy day off makes....after a real shocker of a LSR on Saturday this felt pretty good. 

Tenjiso - get those quads and glutes massaged - could well be referred pain from there.  Foam roller for you....

• WTQ - the glutes were definitely feeling stiff at the start of my first couple of strides, so you could be right. Thanks for that - the roller it is...

• If the roller doesn't get in deep enough, use a gold ball - such an exquisite painimage

Tight glutes often lead to a pull on the inside of my knee so fingers crossed...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I've just had a sports massage and my glutes and quads were very tight and I had that kind of knee pain. He did some work on foot and said he can see I've just bruised and bashed my pf a bit and need to give it a rest so looks like a week or so off the running and onto the spin bike!

• I have joined the jantastic team (love the name!). 

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Just joined the jantastic team image

• I'm in a rival team... and we're going to kick your PDSM asses.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Last night looked up BDSM. Gave me funny dreams.

14mi for me today.

• Nose Nowt wrote (see)

I'm in a rival team... and we're going to kick your PDSM asses.

They'll probably enjoy that though.

• I haven't dared look up that acronym. But I'll take your word for it.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Just realised that my 8 with 4@LT yesterday should actually have been 10 with 5@LT. Bugger. It's all over. Got it from the spreadsheet (which got off someone or other) which differs here from the book.