Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - how typical!  I think I'd be tempted to race the half then do the 20 as a progressive ending with something like the last 5 @ MP.

Long runs - I think my schedule will start next week, or maybe the week after.  I ran 9 x 20m or more last year so would think it'll be the same this time.  I just do what I'm told!

• It's been a poor weekend of running for me.  Parkrun on Saturday and I had a gentle warm up and really neither body or head were in it.  I started at 6:20 pace and really it was too much so dropped to CNBA pace after 600m and ran to the finish without embarrassment in 22imageomething.

Yesterday I avoided running all day until I finally motivated myself and left the house and it went from drizzle at proper downpour just as my Garmin was getting satellite.  I turned round went back indoors.  Which leaves me a lovely treadmill run to do tonight in the gym.

Very variable motivation for any sort of training at the moment. Some days I've got it and some days I can't face it.  These weight training sessions are really killing me and making easy runs a lot harder than they should be.

Sorry for me, me, me post

Good to see OO and Minni doing so well at Parkrun

• Maybe ease up on the weights Bike it if its making running too hard , I had too ease my interval pace back a notch last month as the easy runs were becoming to difficult due to muscle soreness.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I agree with Leslie and back off the weights a bit Bike It. Sounds like you need a few days chilling.

• Orenzo - the Noel version

Took a lot on a Monday morning but eventually the coin dropped.

20 @ MP will always be the biggest subject of debate. Very few people will say that a raced half does much damage other than it takes about 2 weeks out of the schedule, but a raced 20 is another beast.

I did Finchley 20 in 2012 in 2:08:11 and MP would have been 2:10 but I reckon I was in 2.05 form so faster than MP but not all out raced. 15 people on that day finished ahead of me but over 2 hours and raced VLM. If I rank those 16 people, I rank 7th out of 16 at VLM, though all beat me at Finchley. Of the 16, one had a bad day at the office (3:32 after 2:06 for 20) but the next back was 2:59 (off a 2:05).

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Some good miles being racked up across the thread over the weekend, although sorry to hear BI is an exception to the general rule. Sounds like you need to have a look down the back of the sofa for that missing mojo.

12 for me on Saturday morning, all at about 8m/m pace, and a rest day yesterday decking the halls and all that malarky. The girls loved it image 

• Starting my program today for London. Previously 3:27 @2012. But 2013 finally got me my sub 40 for 10k and sub 1:30 for half. I know 13mins off my on at marathon is a lot. But it's really only 30-40 secs a mile I need to find.

X-C is finished until the nationals in Feb so it's head down for a winter of hard hard work. Any advice hints will be warmly received.

• Grammcen ...we have the same mara pb and I think 3;15 is possible but will take a lot of miles.
  • If I look at my training last week it is:

4x strength sessions - 1 core, 1 KB  and 2 weightlifting -  as a hard to extremely hard tempo/interval effort level

2x spin sessions - hard interval effort

4x runs - 1 hill session, 1 interval session, 1 tempo session, 1 easy run

Basically I'm working at very high levels of effort whilst trying to gain strength and get lean.  I could only count one easy session in the whole of last week.

I find the strength sessions make me sore and I think they have a lot of impact and there will be a benefit long term.  I need to do running sessions as a runner.  So the conclusion is to replace the spin session - these I only started as I was injured as a cross training.  They are hard tempo efforts and what I need to do is put that quality into my running.

• Looks a very tough week Bike it no wonder you are struggling with motivation.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Not a lot of easy/rest there BI. As Leslie says, and as you point out yourself, you need to give yourself a bit of easy time so your body can adapt and recover.

7 soggy miles for me at lunch.

• It does sound like a heavy week BI but replacing the spin sessions sounds like a good start.  I am reluctantly  reducing the rowing now that I have changed to 6 run days per week. I've reduced the intensity, but think I'm getting to the point where some of the sessions will need to be dropped to give enough to the run sessions.

Diet attack in progress here. One of my suppliers sent a large tin of Belgian Chocolate biscuits. No one wants any here, leaving me with 124 to get through. Please help yourself

• Theres a lot of stuff in there BI - makes me feel quite lazy.

Gramm/Leslie - It is more than doable with the right programme, which one(s) are you following?

Teeth drilled image rest dayimagePeroniimage

• I've got the p&d advanced marathon book so that possibly the 55 to70 schedule adapted to work with 12 hours shifts as I'm not doing 15 er's on shift image

Mara isn't to the start of June so no panic just yet but will extend my long run for now.image

Teeth drilling ...nasty image

• Which marathon are you doing Leslie? And what do you do for a living? (I'm reet nosy, me).

Ventured to the gym today for pump and abs classes, plus an hour and fifteen minutes of staring at a brick wall on the treadmill. The decor could be improved...

• Hi folks,

I've joined your team for Jantastic, hope you don't mind!  The last few years I've been on Minni's team but nobody wanted to do it again this year (apparently they all hate it...)

• Racing a 20, probably one of those things that gets debated again and again and nobody ever really reaches a conclusion. In the end it's individual preference. Personally I've raced the Bramley 20 4 times as part of marathon campaigns, but as I've been a low mileage runner maybe I've been able to get away with it more than most. In 09 I averaged 7:24 at Bramley then 7:30 at London, and 2010 I averaged 7:09 at Bramley and 7:19 at Brighton. The other 2 efforts in 05 & 11 I didn't make it to the marathon start due to injury, but the paces were broadly the same compared to what I was aiming for at the marathon, then in 2012 I missed Bramley due to illness. I currently plan to do it again this year, as for me being able to successfully race 20 miles is a huge confidence boost. I doubt it will be quite such a full-on effort though as I'll be well behind where I've been in recent campaigns given where I am at the moment. I'll race Wokingham Half the week before then see how that goes before deciding how hard I'm going to push.

Gentle 3.6 mile bimble tonight in the drizzle. Wore my HR monitor for the first time in ages and it's still trying to cut me in half. The problem is that where it sits tends to be right over the sternum, and because the sternum is sunk compared to the pecs it means the plastic pod in the middle sits slightly off the skin. But then my paunch starts to jut out immediately below the sternum and thus rubs against the lower edge of the pod and gently sandpapers off the skin, and even the short distance tonight has left it red and slightly sore. Not sure what to do really? tighten it or loosen it, or try to wear it a bit higher which will obviouly feel wierd. Of course I'd much rather lose the paunch, but it hasn't moved in 10 years of running so I'm not really expecting much change. Pity I can't switch back to the old chest strap from the 305.

• Speedy Goth..Im running the "walled city marathon" (northern Ireland ) which came back last year after a gap of approx 30 years and was won by the SAME man 30 years later at 53 ...how good is that !!!!!   2:30:00 was his time image 

oh and nothing special  I work in a big factory image Long hours /nights and weekends for many years now but with 4 days off every 8 which is good for training..image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Waves to Carrot.   Carrot - you should post a bit on here too since you have a 3:15 to your name. image  They're an alright bunch: a bit mad but then aren't we all. image  There's not many ladies, just myself, Jools and Speedy but they are both really sub 3.

• Not yet Minni, only Jools can claim that one so far. Don't forget Literatin and MsE. And Leslie might just be a female Leslie too, I'm really not sure...

Whatever happened to Astride and Pipes, one time posters on here?

• Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

Racing a 20, probably one of those things that gets debated again and again and nobody ever really reaches a conclusion. In the end it's individual preference. Personally I've raced the Bramley 20 4 times as part of marathon campaigns, but as I've been a low mileage runner maybe I've been able to get away with it more than most. In 09 I averaged 7:24 at Bramley then 7:30 at London, and 2010 I averaged 7:09 at Bramley and 7:19 at Brighton. The other 2 efforts in 05 & 11 I didn't make it to the marathon start due to injury, but the paces were broadly the same compared to what I was aiming for at the marathon, then in 2012 I missed Bramley due to illness. I currently plan to do it again this year, as for me being able to successfully race 20 miles is a huge confidence boost. I doubt it will be quite such a full-on effort though as I'll be well behind where I've been in recent campaigns given where I am at the moment. I'll race Wokingham Half the week before then see how that goes before deciding how hard I'm going to push.

I've only run one 20 (last year at Bramley) and I chose to race it, with the pace coming out at 6:25. This race gave me a lot more confidence going into VLM than the 2 HMs I raced in the build up. With a few more weeks training I extended that pace to the full marathon, with 6:24 pace at VLM.

It is a risk, but my training wasn't too distrurbed by racing this with 56M in the following week which included an overdistance run.

This year I won't be doing Bramley20 as under Hansons I'd need to be churning out 70 - 80 MPW regularly, and I promised to stick to their method. Hansons are also not mad keen on racing during marathon training. kill joys or what. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image I was thinking there were more ladies but couldn't think who!  Thanks Speedy!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I wondered if Leslie was a girl to begin with but I've settled on boy. I maybe wrong though.

And of course Poacher is a boy but likes to wear a dress from time to time.

• Speedy goth , I'm male so cant add to the lady count sorry image trouble on this forum is you have to guess as its not always obvious , rw towers should really list it in your profile to avoid confusion .

• Minni I can be 50:50 M/F if it helps balance things up

I have raced 20m flat out as part of mara build up a few times and thought it was a good idea, but now not so sure.Confidence builder maybe, but I would now say a hard raced HM with 2 or 3 weeks to go before mara date may be better, cos of shorter recovery and faster turnover. 

Leslie that NI runner Tommy Hughes does sound like one amazing athlete

• Hi Carrot. Good to have you here.

Did weights this lunchtime in the gym. Couldn't keep away so went back after work for a treadmill session. I was really proud of myself for leaving the gradient at 0% and the pace at 8:27. I stared at a white wall for 10 miles worth. I could have watched TV but Jamie Olivier was on so the white wall won.

Works Christmas party after that and I won't need to eat for the rest of the week
  • 10m with nowt to look at ? image  Big respect for that*

*Agree about JO 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

No, I just couldn't do it- 10 mins on the treddie is an effort... 

• Thread disagreement alert - big fan of JO here! Good effort on the treadmill Bike It.

Welcome to Carrot - what's happened to Team Minni?

Thanks for the advice on the pros and cons of racing 20 miles. I'm still in two minds but as it's a 2 lap course I might run it as a 10 easy, 10 MP run. 

Up in Cheshire tonight but have just realised I've forgotten to pack my head torch  so may well end upon the gym tomorrow morning rather than running through leafy country lanes - bother! image

Slept through my alarm this morning so the planned 6.5 hilly miles ended up being 4.5 miles with sprints.