Shoe Buying Etiquette

Need new running shoes.

Monies a bit tight what with Christmas so popped down to my local (chain) running shop to see if they had any bargains/discounts on. While there got into a discussion with one of the sales people and they talked about getting my gait analysis checked as it hasn't been done in quite a while. 

Have seen some great deals online and in other shops for shoes but would feel bad about getting the gait stuff done and then buying shoes elsewhere. Then again if I don't it would be like paying £30 for the gait analysis.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have pondered this..... what should I do?

Comments

• Postie You could just have the gait and buy them this time and then buy them cheap of the internet next time?

Not sure if any help but don't forget comrade we all get a little extra in our wages this week after the CWU deal if any good, asuming you are postie. image

• Monies a bit tight? Oh dear you won't be drinking this Christmas will you? You will? Oh then it's just an ethical decision then isn't it?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i have done this on many occasions, i think there are bigger ethical worries out there to be honest.  after gait analysis the shop can only offer you the trainers they have in store in your size. So would you buy a pair of brooks in bright green because they are out of asics that you wanted, just to be nice to the local store?

just say you are not sure and want to do a bit of research before buying but thank them for their time.  i do shop local on all items that i cant get significantly cheaper on line. 

My last pair of asics were £109 in store or £49 on line.  not a tough decision for me

• Cake wrote (see)

Not sure if any help but don't forget comrade we all get a little extra in our wages this week after the CWU deal if any good, asuming you are postie. image

Yes am 100% card carrying CWU postie. I always wait until the money is in the bank when it comes to RM as we're still owed money (£200) we were promised for our last revision image  (the bloody 'park & loop one) Not the place to discuss it but credit where credit is due the CWU have come in for a lot stick but this deal isn't half bad if it gets the nod on the shop floor. 

Anyway noticed that the chain as a whole does have a sale/discount section wonder if I could order from that?

• Sussex Grinch wrote (see)

Monies a bit tight? Oh dear you won't be drinking this Christmas will you? You will? Oh then it's just an ethical decision then isn't it?

You make a perfectly fair point but in the grander scheme of things we're looking to more to a larger house in the next few months which means putting down a large chunk of cash. With prices having risen 12% in the last year around here the later we leave it the more its going to cost.

So, yes its going to be a frugal christmas.  

• In the grand scheme of things with your new big house i'm sure an extra tenner on your shoes will matter not. Tight wad.

• Surely the ethics of this are bleeding obvious?!?

OK, a hint: if you're not planning to buy their stuff, stay the feck out of their shop. See if a website will analyse your gait, or give you advice, etc etc ...

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have pondered this..... what should I do?

Do what ever *you* think is morally right.

For me the axiom
    "Do to others as you would have them do to you"
    works pretty well.
    So if you ran said running shop, how would you feel about people coming in, wasting your time with no intention of buying shoes? Personally I'd think it's a pretty shitty thing for people to do to me, so I wouldn't do it to others.
    Other people have different morals and come to different conclusions.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

There's no conclusive evidence that gait analysis provides any real benefit so unless you are adamant that it works for you it probably isn't worth bothering with...  Either buy a sale/discounted pair from a store or a cheap online deal if you know what you'll be buying will be comfortable.

• Just ask the guy straight out if he'll match the internet price for you before you take up any of his time.

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Forget morals, Because business are not moral. Think about what is best for you, like shop owners do

Everything you do in life is moral. Everything.

If your morals say "Shaft the other person, because they'd shaft you", that's fine. But don't for a moment think you're not making a moral judgement there.

• Too right Ian. When the high street is full of charity shops and estate agents lets see where the "fuck you " attitude gets them.

• Do the shops have morals ? Is the only reason they are in business so that they can please their customers ?

Same as Puffy says, check with them for a price match. 

• Running shops are not the same as H&M. We have a shop here in Brighton that organises races, training runs and lots more. 

• I might agree with chain shops but the shop I'm buying my shoes from is run by 1 person and he does remember me when I go there ( even remembers my shoe size), is always very helpful and we have a chat about event, races etc. Now, do I want a shop like this disappear in favour of online shops? No. Thats why I go there and spend a bit more money on my shoes and luckily I'm in a position that I can afford to do this.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I normally go to the store and have my gait done and buy one pair from them and then buy online once im happy with them. I've found that to be a fair way in my opinion of doing it.

My shop charges 20EUR if you want the analysis done without buying shoes but if you buy it - it's free. The price of the shoes is the RRP so i cannot complain too much.

• carterusm wrote (see)

Do the shops have morals ? Is the only reason they are in business so that they can please their customers ?

Same as Puffy says, check with them for a price match. 

If you're talking about sportsdirect, I'd agree. But there are plenty of relatively small running shops that are different.. and indeed some of the "chain" running shops might give the appearance of being big... but are actually franchises, and as such "one-person businesses" run by dedicated runners who love what they do.

Sure, they want to make a living...  but no need to be cynical about everybody who's in business.

Oh... and as for asking for a price match... there's no harm in asking.  But will you be asking your online shop for a "service-match"?

• If it's a small store 1 or 2 stores max then i think there is a real etiquette and it's not fair to get their help and then sod off online without paying them anything.  Now if you pay them £15 to advise you then it's fine.

If it's a big chain store less so... but i'd also be willing to try to haggle in all stores for some off.

Screw you and may the lowest price win, works... but only if you want to have amazon / google control the world and not have any shops in your high street in the near future.

• Did we always get linkyy every time we mention something or is this a new thing? amazon,  adidas, asda !!

• image The evil amazon must have paid RW to do that. Bet they took it off there taxes as a deduction to.

Postie I'm not a big fan of the CWU sometimes but thinking for once they have come out looking good.

• It might depend what browser you're using - I can't see it.

I do tend to buy from the shop if I've used their service & expertise, but usually this is only when I need something new. But I think it's okay to ask for the gait analysis if you say beforehand that you don't think you're likely to be able to afford their shoes - if they know that and don't mind doing it anyway you're not being dishonest, which you would be if you pretended you were going to buy from them. My last gait 'analysis' (actually just a quick look and a chat as I didn't need or ask for it) was done by a guy in a local shop who'd already told me he didn't have the shoes I wanted and didn't think it worth my while to order them in. He sent me to another shop that I did buy from. But I'm sure he knows I'll go back to his shop another time I need something - he's not just providing the service to get that sale, but also for the goodwill, recommendations, and repeat custom.

• I had a similar dilemma recently as I was going to buy some new shoes with early xmas money but then (maybe due to hangover...) I didn't get to the shop. I then had an email from "the running awards" saying that I'd won some shoes and could pick what ever I liked!

I had wanted to have my gait analysed again just in case they recommended something other than what I've been wearing but didn't want to go to the shop and abuse their services. I thought perhaps if I said upfront that I've won some and want to double check what to ask for that would be better but I then decided I wouldn't and would just get similar in the hope it was ok.

If they're not then I'll try and sell them and get some different ones! I have been wearing brooks adrenaline gts 11's and have asked for brooks adrenaline 13's - did ask for 14's but they're not out yet!