Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - cheers, yes that's a good point.

Millsy - thanks for the reassurance. I'm not really worried, it is only day 3 after all.

I was ill for the first two weeks of Jan last year and thought I'd never get to race pace. In the end I ran a 26 min PB. It's good to have that knowledge and also good to know that others have experienced similar initial slowness but come through in the end.

Ha ha image Don't worry about schoolboy error of the day, you set the bar pretty high initially. Maybe we should make it a weekly thing now? image

• Interesting, part of my pre-plaN build up ha quite a few runs where the middle 2-3 miles were run at marathon pace/ I found it very hard at first, but since doig those 2 mile repeats  it's been a lot easier image

• I did my first MP session last week - 3 miles MP  +wu/cd.  I did it on the same circuit that I normally do my tempo runs so it felt strangely slow.  Still felt it by the end though.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Angela - you're really doing the hard sell on the two mile repeats image

PD - nice one!

I'm out tonight meeting some of the peeps I used to work with. Hope you all have a good evening - I'll be back tomorrow.
  • Malcs you are starting from a good place, you will be fine! I inadvertently did tomorrow's threshold run making up for 1st mile at 9:22 uphill into wind with an 8:00 and 7:55. Have to plan my routes better.

• Good run Malcs.

If you run a hilly or off-road route, you need to take into account and not try and run the same pace you would do on a nice flat road course. On Sunday my 18 miler was mostly flat and good surface and I averaged sub 7:30. Today was muddy and hilly and began with a 10:19 and 8:28 and averaged outside 8s  but was fast enough. If I had tried to run Sunday pace, I would be wiped out for rest of week, especially after a hard session night before.

So be content on training runs with 30 seconds to a minute slower if course less condusive to fast running.

• DS2 - yes the RW schedules over the last 10-15 years are not far removed from Bruce's excellent schedules when he was RW coaching Editor. The ones I have done since have just added in a few extra things learnt and to freshen them up ie progressive faster runs. The 3:00 and 3:30 schedules on the website are therefore at least partly Bruce's!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

That's really helpful advice about off road running Steve! I am fortunate to have the North Downs outside my back door and I can go straight out in spikes but I find it hard to know what pace to run. It's hilly and muddy at this time of year so hard work but great fun. I will try to use the facilities more this year. 

Have you run the North Downs run Steve?

makes sense about those schedules. I could see similarities when I compared your schedules with my old training diaries.

• Yes did North Downs Run a few times - once when it was about 90 degrees - mostly from the Istead course but have done it once from the new venue.

Great scenery but generally not so keen on doing longer races in summer.

probably off road and on hills best to use effort rather than speed and possibly heart rate to determine whether you are running at right 'speed'

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

malcs - how many miles a week have you been running prior to starting the schedule? 

MP miles - I do some sessions that are:  warm up (about 3 miles), then some 400s, 4ish miles at MP, some 200s and a cool down.  This is a great session.

I live in the hills and my off road long hilly runs are often likely to be around 11 m/m compared to about 8:30 for less effort on the road.

• Agree good to get a range of speeds in - and if you do some 400s and then do marathon pace then you are covering two bases but also getting used to running quite fast while having built up some lactic.

A few weeks ago our group did 10x400 but in between  a fast 2000m at start and at finish.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

ArrowsLou - thanks for the support!

Steve - that's good to know. I will bear that in mind for future runs.

Minni - I'd only been doing one or two runs a week. After moving house the running ended up playing second fiddle to all the other stuff that was needing to be done. So I'd say Max 15 miles per week.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

The cut back after the York marathon has probably done you good though Malcs. You got through that with an injury leading up to it so the rest will have been needed.

also, we know you are in a better place than this time last year. Add to that the strength the autumn marathon training will have given and you are very well placed to go Sub 3:30!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week1 - Thursday

Marathon Pace Tempo Run 

4M with middle 2M at marathon pace (sub 8s – rest 9s) approx 34 mins

This is the second speed session of the week. I'm quite looking forward to itimage

• It's great to have the daily update of 'today's session' malcs, thanks! Conserving my finger energy for the legs, from having to go back to previous pages for the schedule image

Enjoy today!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - I think you're right. It took quite a few weeks for the effects of York to disappear so the rest was indeed very much needed. That said we were moving house so it was more cross training than resting with all the lugging boxes and assembling furniture image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sticky - ha ha image Yes, every bit of energy conserved is a bonus!

How is your training going? Are you following the plan here too then?

• I'm following as closely to your schedule as I can, malcs. I must say it's definitely more than what I do on my own, probably the reason why I'm not as speedy as the rest of you in our 3:30 class!

I haven't got a Spring marathon planned. Still contemplating. Still hoping...Entered #ChaseThePlace, so we'll see. 'Contemplating' as I'm training for a cycle event, and wondered how I would be able to dedicate time to both long runs and long cycle rides over weekends. I think if I did a Spring marathon, I'd train properly for that, and the cycling will siffer...I will be doing Yorkshire again though, that's not until Oct

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Excellent. Fingers crossed for you - not too long to wait now but I must admit the 10th Jan does feel like a long way off at the moment. I bet you're counting the days!

I'm not expert on combining cycling with running. DS2 has done a fair bit of both and may be able to offer some words of wisdom.

Good to hear you're doing York again. I pre-registered but I'm not 100% certain about whether I'll enter.

• Malcs....finally made it to your forum (little baby daughter arrived last week so running has taken a backseat for the last few days)!!

I know it's been said already, but well done again on making it through the vote...a worthy winner if ever there was. 

Had my code through from RW yesterday and Manchester Marathon is now entered so I'll be watching your progress with interest.  I've never followed a training plan before but after the whole bootcamp experience I realise that a little more science and preparation is required for the marathon!! Hoping to pick up  a few more tips from you along the way. 

Good luck image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

malcs - yes enter!  Paris will be a nice warm up for that.  I always goal set way beyond my current target - always look at one as a warm up for the next.  I believe you can continue to improve with every campaign so long as you take some time afterwards to recover.  You did great at York last autumn and will look to PB again in Paris then you can take a bit of downtime and build again for York.  Its all about consistency! image 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Congratulations Neil, that's fantastic news!

Many thanks, that's very kind of you.

I think there are a few bootcampers looking at doing Manchester. I know Angela has entered. It's the same day as Paris so you could follow the plan Steve has given me.

I didn't realise you hadn't followed a plan before! I think it's a absolute must. Best of luck and please do stick around!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - my only concern is the effect TR24 might have on York training. I'm hoping to beat my current best of 7 laps and that will take quite alot out of me. I would really like to do York again, it was a really nice race and very well supported.

Are you doing it?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'm doing York and TR, yes.   I guess it depends what speed you need to run your TR laps at and what is most important.  Why do you want to beat your current 7 laps  - is this important to you?  Or would you rather use it as a really good training weekend to boost your endurance ready for marathon training?  I'm not saying either way, just its worthing thinking about what's important to you.  That sub 3:15 is within your reach this year....... image

• Morning...

Feeling a bit image today - self-inflicted wound (a.k.a hangover from christmas party)....good job I have a rest day today.

Hope today's session goes well - first MP of the campaign!

I'm pre-registered for York too, but haven't decided 100% on it yet. I'll probably make a snap decision when the email arrives with the link for entries. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Freemers - ha ha image Gotta watch those party wounds. Overuse of the drinking arm is a common problem at this time of year!

Now that you've let Minni know that you're wavering over York she'll be on you with the peer pressure before you know it! Might as well write the cheque nowimage

I have to say it was a very nice race. The start in particular was great because in Pen 1 you can get almost to the line if you want to. When I applied I put my target as 3:30 but injury and subsequent lack of training put pay to that. It was quite scary when the 3hr pacer entered the pen and stopped in front of us image

Minni - I was planning on running all of TR24 very slowly. The only reason for wanting to beat 7 is to see how far I can push it. There's nothing much more to it than that. I take your point though. I think I will enter York. I'll see how I go in April and set my TR24 and York goals after that.

The focus now is all on Paris. I find it quite difficult to look any further ahead than that .

• Malcs and Freemers: Easy answer is don't drinkimage Bah humbug I know but I feel a lot better since cutting out 99% of my alcohol.

NeverendingNeil: Congratulations.

Malcs: My focus is Paris as well but hope to get some ParkRuns in and Sam wants me to get in some races which I will find when we break up from work tomorrow.

What's the best place to find races in my area? This website?

Malcs again - Are you a software engineer?

• Malcs: Did you get a gift in a post today?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha ha image I think I could be converted Gareth! After new year I will ramp my alcohol consumption right down but over Christmas the temptation for a cheeky one is just too great.

It's good to do at least one half marathon if you can. As Steve said earlier, this is the best indicator of marathon potential.

I'm looking at Eton Dorney on 15th Feb. I'm also planning on doing the Spitfire 20 on 16th March but only as a training run. It's a shame we're at different ends of the country but I'll definitely see you at the Llanelli parkrun on the 28th.

The events section of the RW site has a load of races listed. However, it doesn't have all of them.

I am indeed a software engineer image

Ooh - no post here as yet, what have you sent me or is it a surprise?image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Looks like LLO parkrun will be busy image