P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Is there anyone on the thread doing their training runs by heart rate. I work out all my Recovery, GA, MP, LT and V02 max by calculating the zones I should be in. I have my watch set to average heart rate on my run so I can see what the average is and try and stick within the zones. If I do my runs by feel alone I sometimes run to hard especially on my long runs

• Marrows: I can cross-train this week, not next when visiting family.

Runnning220: I have been doing some of that, slowing pace when heartrate hitting too high. So for me, prime is target pace, then secondary control is heartrate.

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

running220 - I've  experimented with heart rate training before for a couple of weeks just to get an idea of what my ticker was doing. It was a useful exercise, although it felt like a bit more pressure every time I went out for a run as I felt 'chained' to the HR monitor.

As 15West and mace have said, I run my GA sessions on how I'm feeling on the day. As long as the weekly tempo and LSR runs don't suffer, I don't torture myself about times.

You've just reminded me that I need to measure what my max heart rate is next week, so erm, 'thanks' for that image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

My watch came with a heart rate monitor and I used to wear it but just out of interest really as I never measured my resting or max heart rates. Stopped after a while as it was just something else to fuss over. I don't wear my watch so much either these days, just when hitting a certain pace is important or I don't know the distance. Don't wear headphones either anymore. Next I'm going to start running barefoot. Then topless. Then totally in the buff. Oh yeah.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageimageimage

10.1M at 8:04/m today ... felt good, even though I was fully clothed.image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Pfitzinger interviewed on next week's marathon talk...

• Thanks for that. Will listen to it on my weekend long run...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Won't be out till xmas day.

• We can all listen to it on our xmas day MLR.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Ah, that will be the 4M recovery run that I'm shifting to Monday then! image

• Last year, I actually did my 12 mile MLR last year on christmas day, and if my training log is to be believed, I also managed the 14 mile one on new years day. I must have been taking this far too seriously.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Last new year I spent the morning puking up.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Listening to marathon talk at moment. It's been like one big ad for yurbuds and yorkshire marathon.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I started this schedule a week early to factor in travel to my mum's on 23rd where I doubt I'll have anytime for a run, then there's xmas eve and xmas day which I would do short runs on each, and then we're flying out to Lanzarote on boxing day image so that would be another day off...but now I'm thinking I may actually do a proper LT run on xmas eve and a MLR on xmas day (or the other way round) - but I need to get up dead early so I am back before people are up (for the sake of my missus).
    Just thought you might like to know that.

ok?

OK?

good.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Wont your children be up earlier than is physically possible to allow for a mlr and be back before that happens?

you'd have to go out at 4am!!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I just have the one daughter, and she's a lazy arse just like her mum. But...yes...she may be up a bit early (but she'll be the only one, everyone else over 15)...so maybe I should do a quick LT run xmas day and the MLR xmas eve.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

In your position, I would decide which run was most important of the two to do, in case life interferes on xmas day. I would then do that run on xmas eve when its guaranteed to happen, and then not feel utterly frustrated on xmas day if your plans dont quite come off!

I think I am still a good week away from running. Its a pain as i finish in about 6 minutes for the year and have lots of daylight opportunity to run that I cannot take advantage of.

If the weather calm a bit though i may well dig the road bike out.

• Impressed with all of this Christmas Day running. I'd likely be shot if I tried that! 

DT19 - time on the bike is a good idea to keep ticking over until the injury heals.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

NSGNR- I genuinely believe if I decided to run on Xmas day it would be the marriage equivalent of gross misconduct!

Yep- a sore foot is not an excuse to do nothing. Done quite a bit of time on the spin bike already. First body pump in a year last night and the Dom's in pretty much every muscle group is a nice reminder that I don't do any strength work. 

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

My XMAS morning run is now part of the very fabric of XMAS-ness in my house. You just can't beat the feeling of a run when most people are in their bed or driving past in their cars with a quizzical look on their faces saying 'really...running...on XMAS day?!'

Of course it's all just an excuse to get the exercise over in the morning for the one day of the year that it's socially acceptable to have a drink anytime after 11am in the morning. Unless of course you're buggering off to the Canaries 15West style...not jealous at all image

8 GA tonight - absolutely Baltic, but really nice running conditions if you factor out the few skiffs of sleet blowing at a 45 degree angle!

• Christmas morning tradition dictates opening presents in pyjamas whilst drinking bubbles so defo no running for me image

• Just catching up after a v long day.  Thanks for further advice on GA pace.

• My schedule says 13mi on Christmas Day, so 13mi it is. My wife knows how important this marathon is to me and has accepted that The Plan does not get rearranged.

9mi GA today, which had to be completed before my wife left for work at 08:05.

This, it turned out, was a blessing in disguise. I ran North up the East coast of Jersey, with a big, bright moon to my left and a dawn twilight to my right. 20miles out across the sea, lights twinkled on the coast of France.  The colours of dawn were magical and just as I got back home the sun appeared over the horizon.

Runs like that make it all worth it. 

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Sounds amazing Andrews.

My 8 mile run to work involved gently trotting over ice patches, taking a tumble trying to cross an icy side road and watching a cyclist lose traction completely on a corner and end up sliding on his side (he was OK.)

Would it be so hard for the council to watch the weather forecast and being slightly proactive with their gritting?

Whine over!

• Skipped yesterday's run with a lot of pain in my left knee, very similar symptoms to runners knee, but I've had this before and it passes. Low and behold this morning I wake and it's pretty muvh normal again. So thinking ill do a shortened version of yesterday's LT run today (6miles w/3 @ HMP instead of 8 w/3) miss the recovery to,orrow and fingers crossed by ok for long run on Sunday.

No idea what I'll run on Xmas day/Boxing Day. Am staying with my sister and family, my bro in law is a sub 3hr marathon runner, so I'll do a run with him up some stupidly large hills if previous experience is anything to go by! He doesn't believe in schedules, he just goes out and runs... I may take a ball to throw for him!

• I started my campaign on the 50-70 plan 3 weeks ago, been a bit patchy with xmas and work stuff, but me legs are just knackered… I have calf pain, aching feet, sciatic nerve pain and I just can't understand why it's hit me so hard. I did a marathon back in October, and since that have been ticking away nicely keeping miles at around 30 and building a bit of pace on the slow runs. In the past I have just done runners world plans and they seem to build much slower to peak at 55, so is anyone else having the same problem. I have decided to rest next week and reassess the situation.

I ran a 3:10 in October and went for this plan to try and go sub 3, or very least good for age.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning.

Matt - sounds like you need a rest. You could just do short recovery runs occasionally if you're feeling up to it...or just stop running and allow your body to recover. Do you eat straight after a run, stretch plenty and do any weights/core exercise? Could help. Maybe it's the addition of mileage and speedwork that is hurting you? Anyway, good luck with the recovery - maybe the plan isn't right for you?

• Matt - 30 to 50+ in one go seems a bit much, if that's what you've done. I think most of us doing that one probably built back up to nearer 50 gradually before the first week of the plan. Sounds like you should have a week off and then maybe go back into the lower mileage plan that builds up from 30-something?

• Ankles were a bit sore and a tight calf (probably connected) so skipped a couple of runs this week. Will aim for my 15 miler in any case on Sunday, now it seems to have sorted itself out, so at least I should be fresh for that

• image I'm at home to Mister Fuckup today. I was dead happy with my pacing on my 13m MLR, only to realise that it was supposed to be 13m w/8m @ marathon pace image image 

Hopefully I can arrange a sitter so I can go outside for next week's 14 miler and run the MP miles then. It probably makes sense to swap around the LT run and the GA to accommodate the change. My brain is away with the fairies at the moment.

Last night had to break the news to the kids that their mum won't be home for Christmas, and received yet more bad news today. Shittest year ever - I just wish it would end now image.

If it wasn't for the running, I think P&D would be meaning Pills and Depression.