ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• 957 miles for the year image getting closer....  What a random few days of running...

Saturday was our fancy dress Parkrun and I dressed as a banana.  I started slow but then got bored with the pace so my splits are something like this 10:00, 8:05, 7:30

saturday night I went out with some running buddies, and Sunday I had a horrible headache.... Who'd have thought gin can have such an effect, so I did my 11 miles yesterday and 3 easy today.  Feeling quite comfortable with the mileage at the moment, just putting in some strength work from time to time. image

yes Mr P, of course meet up before the start and hopefully at the expo too.  I need a chaperone for these things.... I've been known to go a little out of control with such square footage of running gear! image

• http://www.filmapia.com/sites/default/files/filmapia/pub/place/51262266.jpg

Lets hope it isn't like this in April!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I thought this thread had died!!! So pleased to see you guysimage

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

No chance DS2! still alive n kicking.

Love the photo Mr P

Can I join the expo meet please? image

• I don't know where we are at  the moment Between this and the other thread.

we usually go to the expo on the saturday, but I often think it would be good to go earlier in the week. Its about ninety minutes to London from where I work so I could comfortably pop down and back  in a day. The advantage being a leisurely trip down on Saturday afternoon.

• I prefer expo on a weekday image too much walking for the day before marathon!! image

• my perfect pre race day would be a plate of spaghetti bolognese at fiveish then go to the service at all hallows church, where the minister runs each year, then an early night, but it usually a nervous train journey to euston, fretting on the dlr, get to expo, get number, relax a bit, eat packed lunch at expo, go to hotel, sleep, go to pizza express, back to hotel, lie awake all night. Fall asleep an hour before alarm time.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Mr P, you are all too speedy for me on Malcs thread, so you'll always find me on here!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha ha - I didn't recognise that church at first Mr P image

I've ran past it many times. My favourite 20 mile route takes me from Orpington up to Blackheath then through Greenwich Park around Cutty Sark and back through Lewisham and Bromley to home.

I'll definitely come up on the morning of the race and meet you all beforehand. I assume everyone will be on the Blue start on the common? 

Isn't the Expo quite rammed on a Saturday? I've always been on day 1 when it opens and it's quite quiet. 

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Now you are all worrying me talking of colour starts...I have no idea! When does the expo open then? would comimg up on the friday be better? I hate crowds image ( asks self why I am running London then?)

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Yeah - I have always gone on the Thursday or Friday. Thankfully it only takes me about 15 minutes from my office. I hope to see you all on the morning of the race. I think I may be on a different start.

Are you all booked into hotels?

Jen - make a long weekend of it. London is the best city in the world. make the most of it! You will, also, find the expo more relaxed!image

• Definitely worth avoiding the Saturday if you can!  I went on the Wednesday for Ride-London Surry, late morning, and there were already stores that were too rammed to get in.  Although number pick up was very swift. I lived in New Cross when I last did London marathon, so it was very easy to get to the expo and the start using DLR etc... plus very easy to practice running big chunks of the route image

I think we're all on the same start if we got a ballot or charity place, but then DS2 got a GFA, so pretty sure that's a different start.  nonetheless, I'm not sure if you are allowed into the start area without a race number?? 

• ps, wasn't planning on using a hotel.  Colchester is technically close enough to get the train in on the day, and if not, I have friends in Limehouse, and a sister in South East London, so hopefully would be able to find a bed somewhere...

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I'm planning on staying with my youngest daughter who lives in London. Perhaps I'll travel up on the Friday, n go to the expo the same day? leaves me free to enjoy Saturday with her. Seems so far ahead to be planning!

• I've never had to queue more than a minute or two for my number on the Saturday, and tbh I don't take much notice now of the stands.

You're right- of course - Angela, but we could meet up opposite the church, or just outside the blue start area.

one year I was on the red start and we still met up at Blackheath and I just walked up to the blue start, bade farewell to the blue people and I walked a few minutes on to the red start with the sister of one of the forumites we were with.

i think the gfa people are on blue, some are on green but they can come out to the blue start area before popping back in to the elite bit for the toilets and lobster canapes and stuff.

• image i only did London once so can't really remember all the logistics/ prob best to plan it when we get the final instructions magazine??

• Sounds like a planimage

• Yep that sounds like a good idea Angela. I haven't a clue what start I am on either and won't be able to get to the expo until the Saturday anyway. It wasn't too bad last time at the Expo on the Saturday and I even bumped into Richard Branson too. I have to get my training underway first anyway..... and find a Santa hat for tomorrow's parkrun. I have already booked a hotel for London though and am currently waiting for the train tickets to go on sale.
  • Yes got mine booked too. If I can sort out the tickets it will cost about 45 quid return fort he expo on the Wednesday, well worth it for the peace of mind on the Saturday.

• I'm now wondering whether to book a cheapy hotel for peace of mind.  I stayed at one quite near excel when I did a half mara in East London earlier this year.  It wasn't v nice, but it was cheap and ideally located for the expo- would make going to the expo on Saturday less stressful.  For me it's not so much the expo is busy. But all the transport getting to it is,- I don't like underground anyway, but trying to get around London when it's so crowded really bothered me...  Though up on the train on a Wednesday would be cheap and easy for me- went into London return for about £23 the other day travelling at totally off peak time

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Just been running in hail and gale force wind! is that dedication or what? image

Hmm definitely going to rethink my London weekend based on your comments Angela/MrP.

• Well, don't take it too seriously Jen, for me it is just that I've travelled on the saturday for my races and mrs p's races so many times I am just finding it tedious, and there is a cracking train service from the town I work in. 

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Just back from a lovely 10mile run in high wind n sunshine, 5mins in the door and the worst hailstorm ever happened!! I feel lucky image

Rest day tomorrow, Happy Christmas everyone!

• Merry Christmas everyone. Hope your all having a fantastic dayimage

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Phew! what happened to Christmas..it flew by!

I had a mega mileage weekend, 22 + 5 image and feeling good today! but I did use the foam roller and my recovery skins, which I am convinced helps recovery. This week is a mini taper, no mega long run just a few back to backs, longest is 14.

I was worried about loosing speed with the increase in mileage, so was really happy to do my 5 miles Sunday at sub 9.00 pace, especially as I was theoretically running on 'tired' legs. It is still all a bit of 'try n see', but so far its fun!!

• Nice going Jenny!  I've always find my speed improves organically with higher mileage, so long as ur adequately recovering from it.  Well done on 5 miles sub 9mm, and a 22 miler as well! Wowsers

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Happy New Year! wishing you all a year full of PB's image x

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I know we are all busy on other threads, but I'm not sure where to post my runs cos they dont fit in anywhere else ! lol, so I'm going to carry on posting them on here.image

I did an extremely wet n windy 6 miles yesterday with a few other mad people from my club. 3miles up a hill 10.40 pace, 3 miles down 9.10 pace. Guess which way the wind was blowing??? Not got mega mileage this week, so was planning on doing some speed work aswell, but not sure what to do. Most ultra plans don't include speed work.

• Hey! Keep posting Jenf I am still reading and I am sure others are too. Happy New Year to everyone. Hoping to get at least one PB this year as didn't manage a single one last year. Going to try a follow a marathon training schedule and see what happens but the mileage always seems so high!!!