Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Malcs- good luck with the first mp run.image

I agree with Minni that if you want to give York a good go I would go easy at the TR. I'm also likely to do both.

Free- nice one!image Hope you're not having a tough day at work today.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Brolish I think that might have to be the way to go. I'm doing TR24 in a pair though - any suggestions how I break it to the wife that she may have to squeeze a few more laps in? image

SESSION REPORT - Wk1 Thu (run 4)

4M with middle 2M at marathon pace - splits 9:01, 8:02, 7:53, 8:50. 

I really enjoyed the session today. I always find the first couple of miles of any run are the hardest. It's like the body is trying everything to get you to turn back and go home. Once it realises you're not folding it goes with it and everything feels easier image

I struggled to slow down enough to do the last mile at 9mm pace - once the legs are going they seem to want to keep going, which is nice image

This is only the second time ever that I've run 4 days in a row!

• Another good session and you deserve a rest day -

re the earlier query - cycling can be combined with running ok and last summer I was doing a lot more cycling than running and feel I am getting the benefit of it now as I up the running even though my cycling is reduced.

Occasionally I will cycle somewhere to do my longish run and then cycle back but probably it is best to do the run early, have a reasonable recovery and rehydrate and then do an easy paced bike ride later on if you are going to do both on same day. alternatively do your long run Saturday and do the long bike ride Sunday.

• Malcs - a pair??!! Impressed. I thought I was pushing it out going from an 8 to a 5. Well done on your MP today, I was sensible and did the 4 at 8:30 and for once got the weather right, in the sun at lunchtime, on the flattish, with a friend at work.

Sticky - come join us in Paris....image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Good session Malcs. I can't believe that is only the second time ever that you have run 4 days in succession. If you stay fit and follow the plan you are going to smash 3:30image

I knew if I left it late enough in the day Steve would make a better job of answering the cycling question. I am incorporating some this winter although a lot of that will be on the turbo and a gentle spin. The summer may be more interesting as I head into duathlon territory!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Steve - many thanks! image

ArrowsLou - well entering as a pair and surviving as a pair are two different things image

We did an 8 our first year then a 5 last year so you know where you're heading for 2015 image

Nice running and good weather judgement. It was nice and sunny here too. Feel very lucky to be able to run in daylight at this time of year.

DS2 - thanks. The last time I did 4 in a row was the second week of training in Jan this year as part of 5 consecutive sessions. The rest of the time I've only done sessions in batches of 2 or 3.

Looking back at this April's campaign I had two weeks with 5 sessions - all the others were 4 day weeks. Hopefully the extra days in this programme will make the difference. 

• Well done on your session today Malcs. Can't believe that you are already contemplating a 2nd marathon in 2014!

9 miles for me today, did first two at 9m pace and rest between 8-8:15.

Steve the coach - are you doing a marathon in 2014 too? My dad doesn't run much now but cycles a lot.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well, gotta keep busy Slowkoala image

Anyway, what do you do with the running void that is the summer if you don't have an autumn marathon to train for?image

Impressive 9 miles. You're a few steps ahead of me.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Saw this today, made me smile. May have to buy one! image

/members/images/448713/Gallery/garmin.jpg

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

a friend bought me that very tshirt for my birthday this year! 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Couldn't be more fitting Minni image

• ArrowsLou I think my plan is likely: If I don' get into VMLM with ChaseThePlace on 10th Jan, I may consider signing for Manchester...This is partly thanks to Steve's helpful comment on cycling and running. For some reason, I always thought I could only train for one or the other for an event, as I thought I was unable to dedicate proper time to each event.

Steve's suggestion has made me think more into this. Makes a lot of sense, so theoretically I should be able to train for both a running and a cycling event. image

However I've only got into cycling very recently after not been on a bike for 20 years, so I rely on going out with others rather than on my own, and will need as much time on my bike as I can get, as I have no idea how I will be like. That means I'll have to go with the others whenever they want, and probably work my long run around that, meaning my whole weekend will probably be out running or cycling. I know my OH has already been very patient tolerating my disappearing for 2-3 hours at a stretch every sunday when I'm out running! So this is going to really test our relationship!! image

I'm sure I'll know exactly what to do come Jan 10th! image

• Hi Sticky!  I did ride London-Surrey 100 last year- as my first major cycling event.  It was the weekend after TR24....  I didn't do much long runs between my marathon which was Mid May, and TR24 which was end of July, because I was fitting the long rides in.   I don't think my running suffered that much (probably just plateued), and I've actually found later in the year that I set big pbs on running, and I suspect that is due to building up a LOT of aerobic endurance from being out on the bike for much much longer than I would ever run.

When is your cycling event?  It might be worth looking at some Ironman schedules excluding the swimming to see how they build up training for long distance in both disciplines...

• Evening, can't keep up with the pace on here!  Good session Malcs, all looks very comfortable so far.

Club effort session again tonight, seemed to go well. We alternate direction every time, and this way was a lot harder. Half mile of slow fast between the lamposts, quick rest, a short hill, rest, quick mile, rest, 800m loop, rest, 1k loop, rest, then a long hill back to the start.

enjoy your rest day, will you be practising your French?

• I know a number of triathletes who claim that a combination of cycling and running is more effective training that just running as they recover better.  I think they just do 2 or 3 quality runs then fill the rest of the week with cycling.

30 min tempo for me today.  Or a tempo in Hal Higdon terminology, which is what I would call a progressive run.  Did it off road with the dog so used a HRM to record effort.  My pace was all over the place but the HRM showed a steady increase from 80 to 87% HRR which I think is about right.

Mr P - He needs to practice French whilst running.  Should be able to string a couple of sentences together at marathon pace.

• Malc - Enjoy those MP miles, as they'll only get longerimage.

Sticky - As Steve says do long run on Sat, then long bike ride Sun. I think it's easier to do the bike rides after the runs. I did a 250m charity bike in 24hrs this summer, the draw back was the long bike rides were 9-10hrs. Or use some ironman brick sessions, ie 80m bike, followed by 8m run. Then your legs get used to running when already tired. Or shorten it to 50m/5m, if time is short. The thing I found afterwards, was doing a 2-3hr lsr, didn't seem so dauntingimage.

• Malcs, you have had a great start to the training well done, lots of useful info in here too, enjoy the rest day it's well deserved image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - thanks, I could say the same about you too! 

Ha ha image I hadn't thought about the language. There must surely be a book of essential French phrases for runners? Suggestions welcome.

lou - I'm going to assume from the name change that whatever was troubling you has settled down? My apologies if I completely misunderstood though image

Ok, so short bursts of conversational French at MP, I got it. That'll probably be a bigger challenge than the running!

Simon - ha image Thanks for reminding me!

StewartC - cheers muchly. I reckon I'll have to do something tomorrow though, maybe some strength or core work. I'll be a bit lost otherwise - this has been my life for the past 4 days image

• Thanks Angela, Lou, Simon for your cycling experiences and comments, very useful as I now feel more confident tackling the 2 at the same time if I have to!

Morning Malcs! Question for you about yesterday's run (and of course Steve can help answer this too!), I'm trying to understand the purpose of your run:

I tried to emulate your run yesterday. I have a looped route that I do. If I did 2 loops, it would have been short of 4 miles, so I ended up doing 3, which is about 5.3 miles. For the purpose of yesterdays training run, is doing the middle portion of 2 miles at MP pace the important thing to stick to, or should I have done the middle portion of my 5.3 miles, i.e. 2.65 miles at MP, or should I have done MP after 1 mile into my run, and slow down again with 1 mile left.

I'm trying to understand the theory behind the run yesterday, and how much the distance matters, if at all. Thanks! image

• Malcs - well done on your session yesterday, and your 4 day streak image  Enjoy your rest day today.

Sticky - I would have stuck with 2 miles MP, and just used the extra distance as easy running or longer w/u or c/d.  But to be honest I don't think it would have made a huge difference, as either way you are not adding massive miles at MP.  So long as you are doing them in a controlled way and the pace is relatively comfortable then I think that is fine.   Which of your options did you choose?

Mr P - my brain is frazzled thinking about that session!

I'm fighting fit again today....just as well as I have 800m intervals to do.  Not sure how many - probably 6 or 8 depending on how I feel. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sticky - I agree with Freemers - 2 miles at MP is the main part of that run.

I believe that the aim of the session is speed endurance (the plan has raw speed development on a Tuesday and speed endurance on a Thursday). 

As this is week 1 it's only two miles but next week's Thursday session is 5M with the middle 3 at HM pace and so it starts to ramp up from there.

I'm sure Steve will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Freemers - many thanks image Good to hear you're back and raring to go! 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - thanks, I could say the same about you too! 

Ha ha image I hadn't thought about the language. There must surely be a book of essential French phrases for runners? Suggestions welcome.

lou - I'm going to assume from the name change that whatever was troubling you has settled down? My apologies if I completely misunderstood though image

Ok, so short bursts of conversational French at MP, I got it. That'll probably be a bigger challenge than the running!

Simon - ha image Thanks for reminding me!

StewartC - cheers muchly. I reckon I'll have to do something tomorrow though, maybe some strength or core work. I'll be a bit lost otherwise - this has been my life for the past 4 days image

• Is anyone else sitting here wondering whether Sticky does her long runs on that loop too?  A 20 miler would be 12 laps???  image  I wonder whether people would come out of their houses with jelly babies???

• Lol Angela! You'll be glad to hear I don't do my 20 miles using the same loop! That will certainly be a test of my memory! I do the short loops during the week in autumn/winter for safety reasons, they're well lit and I can see where I'm going. I do my long runs along the canal on weekends during day light. The canal path on weekdays after work is dark...

Thanks Malcs, that makes sense. image

Freemers, I think I may have inadvertantly done Malcs run for next thursday! I ended up with slow for the 1st and last miles, and MP for the middle 3 miles.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Please ignore double post above - browser crashed and re-posted on restart. Grrr.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

+1 for running where you can see where you're goingimage

• Wish I had a canal to run along!  When I used to live in London I was a stones throw from thr regents canal- such a lovely run.  Now I have a River path, but it gets a bit overgrown... Ooo and the Essex way, but thats noT very flat, plus lots of gates and stiles...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week1 - Friday

Rest

It'll be quite weird not running today. I'm going to do some core and leg strengthening exercises. Sam posted a great set of strengthening exercises last year. I will see if I can dig them out and post them here.

• I think I'm very lucky where I live - very quiet countryside, with lots of quiet roads and lanes, so I have a lot of choice particularly for my long runs.  I end up talking to the animals I pass on the way (that's normal right?)....I usually see more horses, rabbits, deer and ducks than cars.  It certainly makes up for having to use the TM during the week in London!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That's made me feel a bit better Freemers, there are a couple of off road routes round my way where you get to see, deer, sheep, donkeys even a couple of llamas who I quite often say "hello" to on my way round. I thought I was the only odd one doing that.