Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Well done Ecoseal! image

MC - hope you enjoy the Hobbit

My week is going a bit better. 5 mile run on Mon, Swim yesterday, 5 mile run this morning. But I have a Christmas pressie in the form of a MacBook Pro so work has been shunted aside whilst I play. Need to go a wrap the pass the parcel for tonights Christmas party though.

• cake image I think the teachers were the worst with the spidersimage

slept well last night but still not totally over the lurgy. Think I should just take the week off and try to get out for a walk

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I guess everyone's busy training or resting? I was supposed to do my 5 mile run yesterday but it was raining and windy and today's forecast looked better so today's the day! When I get home I'll have to go straight out as we still have some packing to do and only 2 nights to do it. Have planned a new route and looking forward to it. image Kind of...it'll be sloooooooooooooooow...

• Congrats EcoSeal, great news before Christmas image

Tuesday was a 9 mile long run at 7:19/mi, I'm happy with my running at the moment so most of my effort to improve is going in to swimming and the bike. Wednesday was a rest day. Swam 1.2km this morning in sets of 200 or 100, trying to mix it up a bit.

Turbo session later, it's eerily still outside after the chaos of last night's hail storm...

• Thanks for the congrats everyone!

My swimming lesson went well and I'd looking forward to getting some lengths in over the xmas break I'm also going to do some small runs and see where I'm at.

Since the stress of the interviews and work I've relaxed and immediately come down with a head cold. Hopefully it'll clear over the weekend.

Keep up the good work all and thanks again for the good vibes.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I did it, 5 miler done despite the rain! And all in all, I'm feeling good! image Couple of long inclines that were hard, especially the one that was between miles 3-4, that really sapped my legs and put my heart rate up. But downhills and flats were a breeze.

But I do have a question. On an undulating long run, do you try to keep your heart rate/min per mile constant or allow for the undulations? If I did the uphills at the same heart rate, I was down about 30-40secs but then uphills and downhills I was feeling that I was going too fast (but breathing was easy and it felt easy and was still way in my 'long run pace'. Maybe I'm over-thinking it. But this run gave me a glimpse of how well I'm doing atm plus also making me realise a lot more still needs to be done.

• Well done Mikasa. Sorry I have no idea about your hear rate question.... I run how I feel which is usually very slow.

Urgh, Eco-Seal my body does that too. I am very rarely ill but I have been working so hard this term and won't be finished until after the service on Christmas morning. Then we are all going away for a week and I'm hoping the the 'relax' doesn't hit me too hard.

Pilates today. Would like to do a long run tomorrow but the schools finish early and in the evening we are carol singing around the town so not sure I'll fit it in.

• mikasa - allow for the undulations 

• morning everyone

my birthday yesterday but spent it rushing around doing stuff. Better not to make a fuss then I can pretend I am not getting older image

starting to feel much better but still tired, off to parkrun with my little boy today then I will see whether I feel like swimming is a good idea or not! Don't want to miss it because the masters sessions are stopping over xmas but it is pointless going if I am not up to it

• +1 Allow for undulations.

My next birthday I will 25.  I'm not getting older. image  Am getting ready for a plane ride today!! If I don't get back online before christmas - Meri Kirihimete ki a koe me te wh??nau!

• Buttercup you are just a mere youngster, I am going to stick at my age next birthday which will be twice yours.

I went to masters session this morning and it was festive relays. We were put into small groups and had to do 25m sprints doing different things. One length being an egg and spoon race with a proper spoon and a table tennis ball, no cheating allowed. It was a laugh and I even managed the task to go down to the bottom and pick the brick up. Cup of water on forehead doing backstroke was the biggest laugh.

• I can't remember how long I have been 21 for....

My little boy enjoyed the parkrun and wants to go again next year. He walked quite a bit of it but wasn't put off so that's good. Swimming was slow but I don't feel wiped out by it and felt nicely hungry afterwardsimage

hoping for a nap this afternoon but the rest of the family might have other ideas....

• So this lurgy seems to be sitting at the top of my chest/throat I am still on the down hill stage where each day feels worse than the last - hopefully a turning point will be reached soon.

Looks like any form of training will be reserved till after christmas.

Glad Mini-maths enjoyed parkrun - was it one of the junior parkrun events?

• just a normal parkrun ecoseal, haven't heard of junior parkrun. Off to google it!

• MC - Well done on you and Young 'Un going to park run. image

Eco-seal - hope you feel better soon! Being ill over Christmas is miserable image

Well my week started off so well and then went pear-shaped when Big Girl (11) woke us up at 6am yesterday in pain. Hubby took her to hospital where she was diagnosed with appendicitis and had it removed last night. 

I was supposed to be leading our parkrun Christmas event today but dropped off all the stuff to our great team of volunteers and headed straight back to the hospital. She is doing okay, with no infection and pain is manageable so we brought her home this evening. The surgeon took a shine to her when he found out she was a runner like he is. But she's going to be in bed for the next few days.

• chili - hope your girl is recovering ok, what a thing to happen when you are at your busiest!

Decided today was going to be a day when I had a lie in, because I never do, but was wide awake at 5 am. Stayed in bed now just having a lazy breakfast. Think I need to do some housework today then I will go out for a run while OH takes the kids to see the hobbit this afternoon. Going to make it a slow run/walk and try to do around 6 miles even if I walk more than I would like, I feel like I need to build up a bit of 'time on feet' after all the downtime this month. Might try to get all my marking finished too so that I don't wake up thinking about it at 5 tomorrow morning

• Chili I hope your little one recovers quickly, what a thing to happen. Glad she is back home and surgery went well.

Illness now just in head not chest so I'm walking round in a cloud of Vicks. Off to visit a national trust place today and have a bit of a walk.
  • mikasa wrote (see)

But I do have a question. On an undulating long run, do you try to keep your heart rate/min per mile constant or allow for the undulations? If I did the uphills at the same heart rate, I was down about 30-40secs but then uphills and downhills I was feeling that I was going too fast (but breathing was easy and it felt easy and was still way in my 'long run pace'. Maybe I'm over-thinking it. But this run gave me a glimpse of how well I'm doing atm plus also making me realise a lot more still needs to be done.

I'm going to inflict my opinion on you, which differs from the other two opinions. As always, you're entirely free to ignore it completely.

If you're running to heart rate, I assume you're aiming to run at a particular goal HR, which you've calculated as being optimal for your long runs? If so, no, you can't allow for undulations. You're aiming to run for 2 hours (or whatever) at a particular effort level, and complete a particular amount of work in that time. You don't get a pass because the road slopes up or down. Your central governor doesn't give a toss what the incline is, he cares how hard your body is working. The effort level should stay as even as possible.

Think of the extremes - if you could only run downhill, you'd run faster speeds for a lower HR but you wouldn't have got a particularly good workout, would you? Conversely, running uphill, you're working harder, but an hour at 70% max HR (or whatever) is still an hour, regardless of the terrain-dependant speed.

In reality, the chances are you'll have to allow a few beats of slack each way, depending on how steep the hill, but if your target HR is 150, that means 154, not 160. If the aim is an aerobic run, it honestly is far more beneficial to stay aerobic for the hour rather than aerobic for 55 mins and wreck it with 5 mins of super anaerobic effort. You'll have to run super easy and slow up the hill, but in time, this will improve. 

So, in summary, yes, PACE can fluctuate with the undulations, but try to aim for even HR throughout. It's not just the average HR at the end of the session that you're interested in

Hope that makes sense.

• 5.5mile run this morning @ 9' 35" avg so im ok with that ,2 miles @ sub 9'00" as wellimage

• well done razor

I managed to get my 6 mile run/walk in despite the sofa being very comfy. Legs are a bit achy now! Gym and swimming today - last masters session till the new year, and not sure I will get chance to go to a public session as I have the kids to look after - OH only has xmas day, boxing day and new year's day off when the pool is closed anyway

mikasa - flyaway makes a lot of sense and I guess in a way it depends whether you are training to HR or to pace - are you following a particular plan? If the plan is HR based then try to keep your HR in the right zone, if the plan is pace based then I think you can expect the pace to drop off when you are going uphill but be a bit quicker going downhill, so if you are doing intervals etc you need to try to do those on the flat if you are trying to do them to a particular pace. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Flyaway - feel free to inflict your opinion anytime, that's why I asked, to get other opinions. I'm not actually following a plan and I'm not training on heart rate. Based on a recent parkrun time, I've checked my training paces and they pretty much reflect the paces I feel happy with for easy and long runs. I put the hr monitor on as I have one and have found a way to wear it comfortably and just wanted to see what my hr was given the pace I feel happy with. Not had a chance to do a max hr test yet so not working off hr as such. And for your info, super easy and slow up the hill is exactly what I'm all about atm. image

MC - well done on your run and thanks for your feedback also.

Razor - fab running there!

On other words, after my 5 miler on Thursday I was feeling fine but come Sunday morning I woke up with a stuffy nose and the cold has gone to my chest. Went for a little walk with some uphill bits and breathing was hard, like I couldn't get enough breath. Didn't sleep well last night as breathing was more difficult in a horizontal position. So pretty fed up. Really want to run but no point, I might just give myself more of a break and not run before new year again. And that'll leave me only 9 more running weeks until HM. It ain't gonna be pretty! image

• Mikasa, you are not the only one with a spring HM and no real running done.
    I have stayed indoors most of the day, I ventured out to the supermarket first thing and that was hectic.

Happy Christmas to everyone

I wanted to get that in before the weather causes power disruptions and other problems and I get busy putting more towels down on window sills where the water is coming in.

• Cycling to work was a bad idea today, happy Christmas everyone, keep dry and safe.

• I'd just like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope you all get everything you wished for, hope you all have a great time  image

• Good swim and turbo today, not so good weather. Taking my easier week for obvious reasons this week.

Happy Christmas image I shall be eating a ridiculous amount on Wednesday - feel free to join me.

• Turkey and mince pies thats the sort of diet I like image

• Does a fun swim with the family count as training? I have a rich uncle with a beautiful indoor swimming pool which has a bridge crossing over it so I combined it with some water assisted pull ups image. Followed by a tea party to celebrate my grandparents 70th Wedding Anniversary.

JP - I'm glad you made it home safe!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Chili - sounds very grand!

Merry Christmas all! 

Still working today but off to North Wales afterwards for 5 days. Hopefully it'll be a lovely break where I can fully recharge my batteries and get rid of this pesky cold. Getting to sleep is still difficult.

• Chili - sounds like great fun

mikasa - hope you get plenty of sleep and rest

Happy Christmas to everyone, hope everyone has the kind of day they want whether they are with family, friends or alone

• mikasa wrote (see)

I might just give myself more of a break and not run before new year again. And that'll leave me only 9 more running weeks until HM. It ain't gonna be pretty! image

I think there are a couple of us in the same boat.  I've got a spring HM and my knee is stopping me from training...I'm sure it'll be fine in the new year...

happy christmas everyone