RW Forum 5 - Sub 3

Well done .. much deserved!!

Special mention to Tri Big Rich for a close second looking for the 3.15 mark

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Excellent news!! Well done!

• I'm a Newbie to this, but I think this means I am gonna be mentored? What happens now ? Sorry to be so clueless !
  • Well done , now the proper training starts.
  • Doppy ... just keep an eye on this thread

Gobi is your mentor and I have no doubt he will be in as and when he can 

• Well done Doppy! good luck lass in getting that 3 hour target!

Rich.

• This certainly wins the 'least surprising match up' award.

doppyashton wrote (see)
    I'm a Newbie to this, but I think this means I am gonna be mentored? What happens now ? Sorry to be so clueless !

You have to go and live with Gobi at his monastery in Tibet, where through meditation you will learn the way of the LSR.

• Tee hee image Well done, lots of people behind you wanting you to get there!

• So great to have Gobi back as a mentor......

looks like we might have a sub 3 thread worth watching image

• oh wow, this will be mega interesting image

Doppy, you will have to grow a very thick skin to put up with Gobi's grumpinessimage

His mood should be slightly better now that xmas is over ...

I shall follow this thread with huge interest because you are an inspiration for older birds like meimage. Not that I'm anywhere near your level ... if I can get anywhere near 3:15 at some point in the future I should be one very happy chick...
  • Congrats Doppy, I do enjoy reading how the speedsters go about it, 

• Ah, excellent. I look forward to following your journey!

• Now I'm nervous. Who is this Gobi! monastery in Tibet sounds ok with me. Warmer than here! Thanks Rich. it's a long time since anyone's called me lass. Grew up in Scotland where every female was a lass.

• Congratulations Doppy! Put me down as aspirational lurker.

• ha ha! your welcome! Hope you don't mind me following your progress? I'm keen to see what sort of pacing and training your doing to get the sub 3. I'm going to be trying that next year. wee bit fast for me at the moment.. think it's great you were picked for this though! Good luck with the schedule.

Rich.

• Well done doppy on getting picked. Gobbi mentored my Club mate Martin to a sub 3 a couple of years ago on this thread, so you are in good hands. Can you post up a bit of background on yourself and what your current PB's are etc. Have you got a a schedule in mind? Cheers and good luck.
  • knightrider I have put all those details at the beginning of the rw forum 6. started the P&D. 55-70 12 week plan last week but think i may change to RW. Don't like the 2 long runs in the mid week and feel there is too much slow running and not enough faster stuff. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

doppy - so pleased you got this thread.  I think that while you may have a bit to learn about marathon training you have a lot to offer us *ahem* more mature ladies about what you've achieved in this past year.

Like chick I am nowhere near your level but did run 3:15 last year and will be looking for slightly faster this year, which I'm confident about doing.  I'm completely crap at shorter distance though. image

• Thanks for directing me back to that thread doppy. I think I missed your pitch. Seems strange you were an asics reject looks like you had all the right credentials. You have some great PB's up to half marathon. Your half time certainly suggests a sub 3 time. What sort of long runs were you doing in mara training, were you gettting many Marathon paced miles in your long runs?
  • mini it took me quite a few attempts to get a 3.15 marathon then suddenly I got a 3.06 so you are nearly there. I think it just shows that speedy short distance runners don't always make good marathon runners. I have friends who are slower than me but run similar or faster marathons. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    doppyashton wrote (see)

knightrider I have put all those details at the beginning of the rw forum 6. started the P&D. 55-70 12 week plan last week but think i may change to RW. Don't like the 2 long runs in the mid week and feel there is too much slow running and not enough faster stuff. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Doppy - longer runs and slower running is what you might need, Gobi wont have you doing much fast running. Its about doing what you need to do not what you want to do.

• I still do 2 long slow runs a week but to run at 6.50 for 3 hrs I think I need speed as well

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Interesting place this, people know me very well indeed. The key to a sub 3 marathon is very rarely running at 6.50 pace and usually involves people not spending enough time at 7.50 - 8.50 pace and not spending enough time running at mile pace.

Running 6.50 pace is easy, it isn't even speed work really.

Hi I'm Gobi and I am your mentor

I can be a little grumpy am always blunt but rumour has it I know a little bit about running.

Enough of the social

Tell me about your current PBs and current training

Most importantly

What paces are you currently running at ?
  • In 2013 I ran three marathon between 3 hours 9 mins and 3 hours and 19mins. In 2014 I plan on running three marathons and aim for a sub 3 hour 5 minute marathon, possibly a sub 3 hour marathon time. 

I will be running most of my training runs at or under the required 7 minute mile pace. I will be looking at increasing my mileage from 20 miles per week up to 30 to 40+ miles per week and run 3 or 4 days per week. 2 or 3 days will be fast paced runs and or intervals and one day per week(Sat or Sun) will be a marathon pace run between 12 to 18 miles.  

• Good luck doppy in this challenge. Take on board the advice, and sub3 could be just another number.

RoadWarrior - lets not get Mr Gobi grumpy from the start. Could you repost adding some words like slow, easy, recovery etc. image

• RW, the problem with that is that you'll be good at running 18 miles at MP, but the extra 8 will in all likelihood be a lot slower, if only because you'll have never run much beyond 2 hours.

I used to train like that, I think most of us do to start with, but I got fed up burning up in the last 10k.  Running long runs slower (not as slow as Gobi does, to be fair) built up endurance to the point where an even-paced run is possible.

• Good morning Gobi. We are gonna get on just fine. I like straight talkers and I am very obedient. I do as I'm told!

Pbs all this year

5k...18.26

10k.....38.26

10mile ...62.52

half M... 1.21 although that was unusual. more consistent at 1.23

marathon PB 2010 .....3.06, last year 3.12

currently running 40-50 miles/wk. This week 53. long run upto 18 at the moment.

LR 8min miles, mid week MLRS 10ish miles starting at 8min/m and gradually getting faster(club run). one track type session of intervals 800s or miles and 2 other recovery type runs where I don't normally go by pace, just feel comfy.