Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

1141516171820»

Comments

• Don't really know what age HRT is required, but a local lady runner aged 45-49 has qualified to run with the elites in London 2 years running now - so there may be something in your theory....image

Know what you mean about the shorter races - just ran a half marathon for a bit of fun at the weekend with very little training - but really enjoyed it and equalled my PB!image

Mind you, I went there to be anonymous (as I was expecting to be embarrassingly slow) - until my competitive running partner saw someone they knew (but are not particularly fond of) and demanded that I beat them! Ruined the start for me as I'm not particularly competitive (only with my own times) and I sulked big-style that I wasn't going to be able to just relax and plod round, using it as a bit of training.image Anyway, it all worked out ok and I really enjoyed the run - not much wind (for a change!) and flat.image

But for the first time in a few years my focus has moved away from Disney - to Rome! Really excited about going now - another 20th anniversary medal!image

I dare say that immediately after Rome I will be dreaming about the 10th anniversary Goofy.....image

• The bullet for next year has been bit.  Look where I'm going!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimageimage

http://24.media.tumblr.com/172364f0df064e02132e679d1c24c696/tumblr_mfmx4w275q1r3wb51o1_500.jpg

Well I couldn't not go and see my Minnie anywhere next year image

• Brilliant! image

And to continue the theme of Disney 2013, I will be targeting another 20th anniversary medal - in Rome.

But back to Florida in 2015 if all goes well. image

• OK then who knows the form and has any good tips for rundisney newbies.  My wife and I are going in one week and are getting a tad excited.  We are both doing the marathon and I am taking on the goofy challenge too. We have been to disney before and are staying at Boardwalk inn as 50Th bday treat.

• You will love it! We did Goofy 3 times and they were by far the best races we have done.

Tip - take clothes for all weathers - the first year we ran it was freezing and last year it was 80 degrees!

If you are a serious runner, you may get a little frustrated with walkers in the middle of the course (which can be quite narrow at times) - hopefully you are in a front corral. The half is the worst for over-crowding.

I would have thought you can walk to the start from Boardwalk, so no worries re transport.

Take a camera for the marathon - great memories.

In summary, you can't fail to enjoy it - entertainment every half mile, running through all the parks - you will have the time of your lives.image

• P.S. Both the half and the marathon are quite flat but a flyover at mile 12 on the half always catches me out and in the marathon the flyovers are somewhere around miles 18 and 23.

• If it is going to be hot run as much of the race as you can in darkness.  By the time the sun came up in the half I was back at Epcot and by the time the sun came up and the mist burned off I was coming out of the animal kingdom.  I would have hated to still be out there at lunchtime!!!! image

Other advice don't pick up, spin round and manhandle the love of my life Minnie mouse at the finish line.  Do as I say not as I did!!!! image

Last piece of advice is try not to overdo it in the parks the day before the big races.  I know you are at Disney and it is a real waste to sit about the hotel for hours but the Goofy challenge was bad enough never mind the Dopey.  I gave myself a cut off on the Friday to stop exploring animal kingdom by 3pm and did all the sitty down safari, lion king etc stuff on the Friday and went and did ride-a-long nascar at the Richard petty oval on the Saturday afternoon.  I didn't waste the days but didn't kill myself either.  I've been oversightseeing in the past and it is not good for the legs on race day.

More importantly have loads of fun, be a big kid for a few days and run great.  Disney is the place where dreams (especially running dreams) come true. image

p.s.  Hope you are fit and well Dopey Enough.  Happy new year.  I think I've got 8 marathons left on my must do list and then one final marathon as part of the Dopey challenge to bring me up to 30 before hanging up the marathon trainers.  January 2017 looks like the date with destiny (or should that be dopey I don't think destiny was a dwarf).  I'm working on the principle that A Disney is magic and B because the Dopey would be a unique challenge the final marathon cant really be compared with any other run.  If I blow and run 3:50 instead of last years 3:19 its because it was the 4th of 4 races not the 2nd of 2.  I really don't want to end on a downer and a poor run anywhere else will end up being a "you can't end like that run" and I will never stop.  Next stop Tokyo next month (eeek its next month now) and a wee trip to Tokyo Disney while I'm there.  I couldn't resist Disney altogether this year as hard as I tried. image  Enjoy the rest of your Christmas/new year holiday and good luck in Rome if you are still going. image

p.p.s. big tip for Rome run where the cars drive they have smoothed the corners off the cobbles a bit for you image 

• Great to hear from you and your humour C33. image Happy New Year and good luck for Tokyo. image

Due to injury Rome may not be a possibility - if not, I will do either the Manchester or Liverpool marathon - I fancy Liverpool as it is a Rock'n'Roll race and my eldest supports Liverpool so he can go explore Anfield for the weekend whilst I run!

I somehow managed a 5 min PB in the Yorkshire marathon in October whilst battling a painful quad injury so I want to see what I can do now when fully fit. I'm doing Yorkshire again in October - I want to be 'Perfectly Yorky'. image

I was hoping to do Dopey in 2015 but I can't bring myself to take my boys out of high school for it. image Trouble is, I don't think I ever will be able to now as then the GSCE years start. image

Let us know how you get on at Tokyo (and the subsequent 8 marathons).

• Thanks Dopey,

Could you not just encourage your kids to leave school at 16 so you can go back to Disneyworld?!??!? image

That's a shame about Rome.  Not sure how its the 20th anniversary race I've just checked my medal from 2010 to say it was the 50th anniversary.  It either went missing for a few years or that Italian car Michael J. Fox used to drive really can go back and forward in time!!! image

Well done on the big PB.  I bet there were a lot of blokes in that race the Yorkie is not for girls!!!!!! image

I did Manchester the 1st year in the monsoon when it got absolutely slated but loved it.  I was maybe one of the lucky ones as I took my parents on holiday with me and had the race crew with a towel and a change of clothes waiting for me at the finish.  If it could have gone wrong it went wrong that 1st year and the rain showed up everything that would have taken years to go wrong all on that one day.  The course now finishes at Old Trafford (may upset your son lol) but it looks a fab course.  I couldn't believe the size and enthusiasm of the crowds in the 1st half of the race especially in Altringham where there was an unlikely wall of sound from folk huddled under scaffolding in the main st (driest place).  Compared to Edinburgh where you get so lonely you think of getting yourself a penpal at the 16th mile marker Manchester was brilliant.  I also ran like a dream I can do wet and windy!!!!!!

I took my mum and dad with me as a belated Christmas present.  Mum had been battering on for years about going to the Lowry exhibition and dad wasn't taking her up on it at all.   I booked a Hoseasans flat in Salford Quays which was in walking distance of Old Trafford (now the start/finish), Imperial War museum, Lowry and loads of places to eat.  We also had a day trip to Blackpool (Pleasure Beach mainly) to redistribute the lactic acid on the big rides at the pleasure beach (the race crew were handy again to hold my specs lol) and a day trip to Liverpool where we even got tickets for a riveting 0-0 draw against Fulham at your sons beloved Anfield.  I've never done Liverpool but would certainly recommend Manchester.

Hope you stay fit and healthy in 2014 and don't suffer too much pre and post exam stress image

• Really looking forward to Goofy now - DOC H I am also doing this as a 50th birthday treat.

For the rest of the year have Rome, Liverpool and Lisbon to look forward to so far!

Good Luck to everyone heading to Disney and Happy New Year

• C33 - Humour and looking after your mum! No wonder Minnie was waiting for you at the finish line! image

Good luck in Tokyo! image