Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Happy new year. 2311 miles for the year, 260 for December, 9st 8.

• Options

A very wet and windy 17.5 bagged this morning, for a 2014 daily average that won't last tomorrow.  It started off nice enough, if breezy, but then the showers merged into one long storm and the only plus was that the last few miles were with the wind behind.  Glad to be back, showered and warm again.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Happy new year, thread.

2013 was probably the best running year I've had, and saw me finally re-set some very old pbs.  I'm pretty sure the HM had stood since 2007, the 10k had definitely stood since 2008 and the marathon had definitely stood since 2010.  And, yes, finally breaking the 3 hour barrier was the most pleasing.  Although I knew it was a question of when and not if, there where times when 'when' was very difficult to predict!

Hope that 2014 brings pbs for us all image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Happy New Year folks.

CD - I'm with you on today weather !

PP - a very good year for you there.

Looks like the running legs soon remember. I backed up y'days 13M with 13M today, copped a right weather beating, reminded me of New Forest 2012 ! Thats the end of the 90min morning sessions, back to more normal training now. Stubby 10k in 2 weeks is the next target.

• Options

Jools -- I'll always remember your unbelieving face in your hands after the finish line in Frankfurt -- magic! And well done on those AW, CD (Edit: 2:37 at your age is really special ;- ), JimBob, postie & bufo.

2014 stats: average 10.2M/day (good), avg pace 8:33/M (bad), no rest days... L quad still DOMSd from Sunday so just another holiday exploration bimble. May have sped up a little when I passed the 3 squaddies with a gun. First time I've seen a 'no stopping' sign on a Sustrans route... (along with 'beware of military personnel' etc).

• Options

A little breezy and wet out there, happy to get my 11 miles done and get back in the house! 

How do you guys treat a mid week longer run pace wise? Just easy paced or a little more effort than that? I've been trying to keep the pace between 7.30-7.50 which is comfortable, but wondering if I should be putting a bit more effort into it? I usually do a hard session on Tuesday and Thursday so a bit cautious of over doing it.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

TR - solid miles

AW - nice reps

AL P - doesn't sound serious and you've had a very productive year so you can afford to be cautious at this stage. Is the shin (Tib ant) ok now then? 

CW - hope the DOMS eases

I haven't been on here much this year due to study and general lack of running due to injury. I'd say top performances on here off the top of my head go to Jools sub 3, Padams at Kona and CW unsupported BG which is sseriously impressive.

A hilly 13m for me this morning in the pouring rain and wind. Did 40 mins yesterday but the first time I'd run since Ally Pally xc on 21st. Felt pretty good and strong on the hills probably helped by the xc and fells these last few months. Knee was a bit stiff/sore towards end but more to do with lack of road miles I think.

Haven't done enough long runs or miles for Brass Monkey in just over 3 weeks but it'll be a good fitness marker. Entered Northumberland half on March 16th as Fleet is just too far away for me for a weekend trip. Northumberland half will lead nicely into the fell racing season.

Happy new year to all! 

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Well done CD! I was out in probably the worst of it here, but only for 14. Still haven't warmed up.

Nice quote TR. Luckily I only have to beat myself image I think my target this year (in terms of rest days) is not to have any rest days due to CNBA. Tbh, I'm still adjusting to thinking of myself as a moderate (all relative) rather than huge mileage guy, so if I didn't have that one day a week off I'd end up doing too much. Nice back to back 13m.

Nice mileage CW. It certainly paid off for you.

Some very good stats coming in. Here's to more of the same for this year.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

AW - easy paced for me, although I od put some MP miles into it nearer the big day, If you are running hard Tues and Thurs then easy paced it is for you too then.

RS - wise regarding Fleet, long way for a 1/2, its a long way for me and must be about 40M !

TT - avoiding CNBA days is a better idea then , cant say that I get many CNBA days a year, but I bet I owuld if i didnt have bike and swim too.

email regarding Stubby 10k came, that should make me do a bit of quicker running in the next two weeks.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

AW - Very much depends how it fits in with the rest of the week IMO.  My mid-week (Thursday) longish run basically developed into my main MP session for the week when I started marathon training, but that's with the only other quality session being the Tuesday intervals.

Average training time has got off to a good start for the year.  Two hours steady on the turbo (To The Sound of Music!), which is one hour longer than I've ever managed on it before, and with the help of the occasional out-of-saddle effort my bits didn't feel too squished.

Oh, and I've entered Eastleigh 10k.  image

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

TR - most of the CNBA came during the first 3 months of the year when I wasn't sure if I wanted to train for a mara again. From April to Amsterdam I was hunky dory. After Amsterdam I only ran 5 times in 2 weeks, which just seemed to get me out of kilter (and it was the same after Berlin '12), so I think I probably need a different post-mara recovery approach image

AW - I vary my mediums depending on how I feel. Today, because of the weather, and just starting to get back into the swing of things I kept it very easy, but I'm not adverse to putting some hills, surges or light tempo in there if it feels right. Pretty much the same with my other non-effort days too. My two effort runs are Monday (typically long with surges) and Friday (typically reps), so I have more of a gap than you do between yours which allows me to be more flexible on the others.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Eastleigh is going to be a big thread day out.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

TT - time off after a campaign is important, its need to be there.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Oh I agree TR. I'm only thinking of a couple of extra very short jogs across the fortnight after to keep in the habit of getting out there.

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Happy new year to all. 

2013 was a bit of a funny one for me.  This time last year, I'd basically given up running - following my second marathon (Rome in March, 2:41:37) and then a HM in Berlin at the start of May (76:29), I got out of the habit.  I was living in Rome, it was blisteringly hot and I couldn't ever motivate myself to get out of bed at 6 to run.  Then when I moved back to the UK and started work at a new firm in the autumn I was madly busy and, a few idle runs into work aside, couldn't get back into it properly.  Taking stock on New Year's Day 2013, I was pretty sure I would never be able to get myself back into the shape I'd been in when I ran Rome.    Mid-Feb, however - and I have to thank the forum for this, as that was when VLM chat started up in earnest and made me a bit envious - I resolved to start again, signed up for Berlin in the autumn and got in a couple of good months, culminating in the first of my 3 2013 races - a HM in Berlin, which I ran in 1:15:48 (a PB).  Felt in the best shape I'd been in, but then upped things too quickly and wound up with flute injury out for 5-6 weeks.  Gradually back into it late June and then a 10 week build to Berlin, lowish mileage (average low-to-mid 50s, max 62), a couple of big BAC-style sessions/week.  Berlin was a PB (2:37:32), and then followed by what was probably a much better run in much worse (rainy, windy) conditions for pretty much exactly the same time in Frankfurt 4 weeks later (2:37:46) - had just been doing it for fun, but a confidence boost.   Then went on holiday and promptly got injured on my return with nasty shin splints, which put me out for 6-7 weeks and drove me to some pool running and even swimming (I'm very bad at it).   Light at the end of the tunnel though - still get some issues at the end of runs so not entirely cleared up, but now properly back into the swing of it.  Probably slightly overdid it last week with 62m total together with 13k steady swimming (not sure whether it's the best training, but 2k in around 44 mins has to provide some aerobic boost).  This week's looking similar, so I feel like I'm making progress and haven't lost it all.     Total of 1935m in the year (average pace 7:03m/m).    2014 ambitions - run smarter and don't get injured.  Run London for the first time, ideally sub 2:35 but we'll have to see how quickly fitness returns.  Then Berlin again in the autumn. 
  • Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Great stats one and all, by the way.  Can't wait to see what the new year brings for everyone...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Lev - that was a nice comeback story. Good job you made the effort to try again.

• Options

Thanks for that TR, PP and TT. I usually put chunks of MP miles into my long Sunday run towards the end so will keep the mid week longer one easy as I have the two hard sessions bookending it. 

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Joolska - I don't think it's ever a case of 'when not if' with marathons! You've had a great running year, well deserved considering the work you've put into it.

Lev - nice recap, you've had a pretty good year and I like the targets for next year - if you achieve them the times will come automatically.

Running-wise I've not done much this year, although I did get a 10k PB in the summer (32:35). But obviously I've had a couple of good IMs. Would like to race more in 2014, but can't decide what to do!

Another outdoor ride binned yesterday due to the shocking weather (again). So 1h50 on the turbo including some long sections overgearing. It was surprising comfortable, and if I'd known PP had done 2 hours I would have carried on for another 11 mins...

County XC on Sunday (I guess a lot of you will be doing your respective races), and would like to have a good run there so will be taking it relatively easy for the rest of the week.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

No Eastleigh 10k for me unfortunately, as it's the same weekend as the only World Duathlon qualifying race I can make. Shame as it sounds like lots of you will be there and I fancied a crack at a fast 10k.

• Options

AW -- belatedly, I don't do enough speed work really, and usually make my MLR a reps + tempo combo to tick both speed and endurance boxes.

RS -- sounds like your legs are up for a new campaign now! Likewise Lev_, hope this year's a good one.

Another 10.5M today, legs still a bit cranky from my race but getting better, this time at 7:33/M with some hills and very vague ad-hoc efforts. Like Padams I don't want to do too much now because of county XC this Sunday, though at the same time I think holiday indulgences are catching up with me so I do want to burn a few calories...

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

RS - The right AT issue has cleared up now, but just as I was getting back into the swing of things before Christmas my left Sartorius started playing up and getting tight. Result was a nasty pain below the left knee on the inside of my leg (guessing where the muscle inserts into the tibia). It's taken a while get it to free up, but seems to be reasonably good now.

Lev - Very nice recap of your recent running history, it's a useful aid for remembering how you got to where you are today.

Combination of rain, wind and groggy head resulted in a total rest day yesterday. A 4M easy run (including a few strides) this morning felt pretty good on my left quad, there's still some tightness there, but I think it's more me over-thinking the issue now rather than an actual problem image. Followed the run up with a steady 1.5k in the pool and some stretching in the gym. Planning to get out at lunchtime for another easy run.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Padams - which duathlon ?

Anyone doing Stubbington ?
  • Options

Nice summary of the year Lev

Finally a run in decent weather today, nice steady 8 miles. 13 very wet and windy miles yesterday and planning on 5 easy this evening - didn't want to stop building up mileage for county xc but only one session this week and will take it very easy tomorrow.

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Al, glad to hear there's light at the end of the injury tunnel for you too and fingers crossed you're back in full swing soon enough.  A quick question on your swimming - I've been following the same sort of pattern (generally 1.5 or 2k swims following runs) to get some sort of base building back without too much pavement pounding.  What sort of effort do you do these at/do you do sets?  I have tended just to swim steady, HR generally around 130 (so given that water generally keeps it a bit lower, prob equiv to a few beats over the sort of HR I get for steady runs at around 7:10/15 pace).  I like to think that 45 mins of that is equiv to maybe a steady 6 miles or so but don't know whether I'd get more bang for my buck with sets/reps.  

Bufo, nice job getting it done yesterday.  I was determined to make the most of the day off work but didn't pick the best time to go out.  Ended up w/ 15m including just over 8 at around 6m/ms (a fraction over my Berlin/Frankfurt MP, though at a bit more effort - makes sense given general unfitness and poor conditions).  8 this morning was slow, though I appreciated the weather.  Day off and back in the pool tomo.  Good luck for the XC - you seem to be on great form at the mo.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Gobi - Clumber Classic, think you did it a few years ago. I can't make the other 2 qualifiers (wedding and stag do).

bufo - nice miles. Today does seem to be the only day recently (or for the next few days by the looks of things) where the weather looks reasonable for running.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Yes know it well. I think it was Brit AG champs course when I got a podium
  • Options

Clumber - I qualified there a few years ago too, helped by the fact they had to re-route the bike course the day before and it ended up a bit shorter than planned.

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

Gobi - I'll be at Stubbington, although it's at best only going be a fitness benchmark run for me after very little speed work in the last 6-8 weeks image Will be sporting a white (and slightly green) New Forest Runners vest and number 765

Lev - I usually stick to steady aerobic laps in the pool, breaks are normally only momentary to let faster swimmers pass (which is generally everyone else in the fast lane!). Occasionally throw in the odd 250m with a pool buoy for a bit of variety or 5x50m with a kick board at the end of a swim, as my leg kick is rubbish and could do with improvement. I have a old school friend who was a quick runner (mara PB of 2:23) but suffered injury problems with high mileage, in the run up to VLM12 (and the PB) he was doing an hour steady swim early AM (approx 4k) and then run in the evenings, averaging around 70mpw (read his blog here). If I was only swimming in the morning then I'd aim for 45-60 mins continuous.

• Options

Another year another crack at a sub 3hr. London again this year and marathon number 4. I keep forgetting how hard it really is!!