Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Happy New Year to you and welcome to the 2014 thread.

As the title suggests we are here for anyone who just wants to go a 'little bit further'. Several of us have been together on this thread for a couple of years but we always welcome new members. So whether you're aiming to increase from 5k to your first 10k, or training for a marathon or Ultra, please feel free to come and join us.

On this thread you will get lots of laughs, support, encouragement, cake and hopefully a bit of running knowledge image Very occasionally we even manage to meet up at a real race or training day!

So please come on in, make yourself known and join us in running 'Just A Little Bit Further' in 2014!

Comments

• Hello everyone and a happy new year when it comes image

Well done chilli on your run today image

Weather forecast looks okay for tomorrow so hope to do my 4 mile promathon

Have a good one everyone and speak to you all next year

HAPPY NEW YEAR CRAC FAMILY

• Morning

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

WAKEY WAKEY CRAC TOWERS

I am going to my 4 mile promathon race. Will let you all know I get on later.

Hello AF,Chilli,Jude,MC,Loula,Matt ,Nandy ,ecky,byeck and everyone

• Happy new year everyone! Hope you all had a great night. Any good phys related resolutions?

I've been busy and not posted on the old thread in aaaaages. In that time I've renovated a flat, moved house, started a new job, planned a wedding and run my first half image but hopefully I'm back now.

Franny, enjoy your run!
  • Happy New Year everyone

MrsN - good to hear from you - sounds like you have had a busy time

Franny good luck

not sure if I will get out today for a run, though saying that I could do with a bit of headspace

I don't really make resolutions....so none for me

• Happy New Year everybody!

Franny - Good Luck!

Mrs Noel - Good to have you back. Busy time for you.

MC - Hope you get a run today.

Chili - Glad you got a run yesterday.

Did a fairly quick (for me)  6 miler this morning. imageNow doing schoolwork.image Boys have gone swimming training with hubby and daughter has a temperature and is in bed.image   

New years resolutions:

1.Enjoy running when I can and not get depressed when I can't.

2. Stay below a certain weight......coz I can run faster when I'm lighter...

Bit boring but I can't think of anything else which is achievable!image

Looking forward to our New Year's dinner. We are having salmon...image

Have a lovely day folks.

• Afternoon

Nice to here from you Mrs Noel Sounds like you have been very busy.

MC Hope you get out your run later.

Jude Well done on your quick 6 miles. Good resolution to keep you motivated so nothing boring about that at all.

I am back from my Promathon 1st race of 2014. 400 runners took part. Not got official time as yet but my Garmin says 32.11 which I am very pleased with as I predicted 35 mins. Was perfect running conditions for it.

My resolutions erm not really got any but just to e healthy with no injuries and to get PBs in my HM distance and 10k Distance so a sub 1.50 half and a sub 50 10k

Hope everyone had a good time last night if they were partying. We are off to the In laws for New Years Dinner.

Have a nice day everyone.

• Happy New Year all !!! image

Mine is to make sure I make time to run - weather is never a problem I love wet, mud etc etc - just work got in the way last year image So this year my challenge is get the balance right ...............

• Hi Tracey

work has been getting in my way too lately! I am going to have to get the balance right too, as I get cranky when I am stressed at work and don't get my running done!

• Afternoon & happy new year.

Franny well done for your flying start to the new year- those legs are speedy.

Day off today from running as it is miserable & windy down here.1 st day off since Boxing Day.

Jude well done on your 6 miler.

Tracey welcome.

Mrs Noël you have been busy.When is the big day?

Chili-thanks for starting the thread.

MC- I don't make resolutions as I would only break them!

• Franny - well done! That is a super time! Wish I could run one 8 minute mile.

Hey, that could be a goal for me this year... one 8 minute mile!!

Does anybody remember the challenges we use to have when Spartak was with us?  I ran my best 5Km time while doing one of those. Perhaps we could have a New Year mile challenge and aim for an average time. (A time we could achieve as a group average.) Anybody fancy it? Esp. for  the non- club runners it would be nice to have a goal. Just an idea!!

Hi Tracey! Welcome! Yeh, work gets in the way, doesn't it?

AF - Enjoy your rest day! 

• I wasn't on the thread in the Spartak times - how does the challenge work? I am still very slow, but am getting close to 12min miles now. Might be fun to do a warm up, run a mile without any walks and see what time I get though

• MC - We may need your help as the mathematician!  But we could all give ourselves a goal time, add them all up and divide by the number of people taking part. Then give ourselves a week to do a time trial for the mile. At the end of the week add our times together and see if we have beaten our goal average.... Or something like that!     

• ok, good idea. My goal time would be 12 mins. 

• My goal time is 8:30. 

(Nobody has to take part in the challenge!)

Shall we say the deadline for running your mile is January 7th?

• ok, that gives us a week! 

• I'm up for that my goal is 7:20.

AF we get married on Easter Saturday - can't believe it's only 108 days away now lol

Franny, well done on your race.

I deliberately kept today as my rest day expecting to feel like death but I'm actually fine. The OH, however, is a different story! Sadly, I'm back at work tomorrow while he has leave till 18 Jan. Rubbish. I am off the week after next mind!

My resolutions are:

To be more consistent and progressive in my training - I'm using Joe Friel's triathlon books for this.

To concentrate on lean, quality protein, good fats, reduced sugar and lots of variety in my diet.

To focus more on recovery - good sleep, massage/foam roller and more stretching.

Goals wise, this year I'm moving up to Olympic triathlon level and want to hit under 3 hours plus I want to go under 2 hours for my half Mara and 50 mins for 10K.
  • Sounds a good idea Jude. Now not sure what my goal would be. My average time is usually about 8.30 when going for a leasurely run & my best ever mile is 6.37. So I will go for 7.30 as I run mainly off road. If I get a chance of a road go will aim for 7.00.

Do find with old age going too fast a bit hard work!! Scarily it's my big 50 on the 26th Feb....urgh,

Franny-We've booked our trip to Edinburgh. Staying at Hotel Indigo which is in the centre. Going up on the 26th and returning on 29th so hopefully a morning run on the 27th or 27th!! + of course some restaurant tips!! 

• Hi Everyone! Great to see you that you found the new thread. Big welcomes to Mrs N and Tracey.

A fast 1 mile? That sounds like a good challenge. Ummm, will have a think about what my time should be when I've had a bit more sleep.

We have been on holiday at my parents house in the North East. It's been a lovely time and I am so thrilled to spend time with my brother and family whom we haven't seen for 18mths cos of my brother's illness. He has bi-polar and the family is a bit disorganised. They didn't tell us that their children were all sick on Monday. And all four of my girlies now have a tummy bug. It made for a very slow journey back home down the A1 this afternoon. But we are now safely home.

I haven't set any real goals for this year cos I'm trying to manage my own expectations and wait until after my op in Feb. However, I would really like to do the Thames Meander Marathon again and break 4hrs 30 mins.

• NandyNandy ✭✭✭
    Happy new year people!!

Just a quick one!

I hope you all had a great Christmas! I've had two weeks of work which has been great but has absolutely flown by!! Back to work in the morning! I had a nice 12 miler on Sunday on a real hilly route, I enjoyed it though. Interval training yesterday which I didn't enjoy so much!

AF - well done on the mileage, impressive! Puts my 185 miles to shame!!

I hope you are all well and I'll have a proper catch up tomorrow.

Night! image
  • Happy new year all !!!
  • Here we are again boys and girls image it's so lovely that we have all been in this thread together for so long but lovely that we keep getting new people join , so welcome all to our thread , I hope to be on here more than I was this year and I seriously hope to do a lot of hard running !! So here's to 2014!!!!!
  • morning all

lovely to hear from you Nandy and Loula

haven't done anything yet, despite wanting to get out early - OH woke me at 4am feeling ill. I was still wide awake at 5 which is when I was going to run, but as he had decided not to go to work it seemed silly to be up so early!

Anyway, the sun is shining image I am going to the gym while my youngest does a swimming activity then I will run this afternoon - hope the sun stays out all day!

• Morning all and a big welcome to Tracey and nice to see Nandy and Loula return. I do wonder how our lovely Deejay is getting on and hope we here from him soon.

No running for me today Just some doggy walking.

AF That's great you have booked your trip for Edinburgh. What date did you want to run as you said in your post the 27th or 27th image Let me know and I can arrange my day off accordingly and we can have a nice run in the hills.

Mileage challenge am not sure what I should aim for. Yesterday I did Mile 1 in 7.40 and mile 4 in 7.49.

Hope everyone has a good day and speak later

• Morning,

Had a real bad nights sleep last night and couldn't face going out in the dark this morning so no running in 2014 yet- will run with the club tomorrow. Fed up with the wet weather and the day I go back to work (eg today) it is lovely outside!!

Franny- I suspect the 27th would be best I will let you know shortly after I have spoken to Mrs AF! Sounds like you are getting really speedy I may struggle to keep up with you!!!

• AF You will certainly be able to keep up with me I can't keep up those paces up in the hills HA ha. Hope you get a better sleep tonight and get your 1st run in of the year.

Just in from doggy walk and seen a really bad house fire. Not  a good start to their year. Not sure if anyone was in the house or not ? Flames were coming out of the top window and the air around is filled with big black smoke.

• HAPPY NEW YEAR imageimageimage

Sorry not been around but not been running much at all as just so busy and had a bit of a scare recently with Son being rushed to Hospital as he became unwell at school and so is having tests although it is probably a rare migraine.

I am happy to say I am slowly getting back to my running and have changed a few things round in my daily routine so I have time to run again.

• franny - oh the house fire sounds bad - hope everyone got out ok. 

ecky - brilliant to hear from you, you are always so busy. How is your counselling course going? Good to hear you are finding the time to run.

I managed a slow run in the afternoon sunshine. Maybe the weights session at the gym made me sluggish, don't know but I did enjoy it despite feeling unfit! I need to get into a consistent pattern again with my runs. I am going to go back to the running club on Tuesday - hopefully I will keep up!

• NandyNandy ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone!

Just got back from a 5miler, training seems to be paying off, managed 5.04miles in 38:31. So definitely heading in the right direction!!

Franny - that house fire sounds bad, I hope nobody was in there! Well done on the 4miler, great time!

Mathschick - I hope OH is feeling better! It's hard work getting back into a running pattern once disrupted!

Ecky - great to hear from you! I hope your son is ok?!

AF - I think you've earned a days rest with all the miles you out in last year!!

Loula - good to hear from you! How's your training going?

Jude- sorry if I missed it but how was your Christmas in sunny England?? How's your daughter after that swimming competition, spirits still high?

Hi chili and anyone I've missed, hope you're all well!
  • Hi Mathschick, finished course now so just waiting for results. I found it hard going emotionally so have taken a bit of a break and will do the next course later in the year. Good to see you are still keeping up with running and training although like you, I need more consistency with my runs. I am thinking of signing up to a local 10 in March to see how I get on.

Hi Nandy and well done on your  speedy run. I'm sure my Son will be fine just not nice him having to deal with the migraines. I have never had one and I don't ever want one.

• Evening! Lovely to hear your New Year chatter.

My girls were feeling a bit better today, but hubby ill and spent the day in bed. So still no training but I am determined to do something tomorrow.