Heal feels like it's falling inward ?

I've been running on and off for a while now, completing a couple of mud runner events and the fod half this year. But a problem had raised it's head this week. I was running with some friends this weekend, off road, 7 miles with 1000ft of climbing. One of my running buddies pointed it out first, it seams my heals (left is the worst) seams to be falling inwards so much so it feels though I'm running of the side of the shoe ! I'm now very conscious of this and feel it could be the cause of my sore calfs and arches. It's not as noticable in my road runners which is how I've missed it. Would insoles sort this ? If so which one's would best suit ?

Comments

• It sounds as if you would benefit from a gait analysis for the correct shoes before you go looking at insoles

• Are you a seriously pronounced heel striker? 

If so, there is a school of thought which says you should perhaps address your running technique, rather than try and 'patch up' poor form with insoles or structured shoes.

• I think I do heel strike yes (had a quick cheak running up and down the kitchen). I think I will have to get my gait checked, i'm not keen on replacing all my shoes as they are all nearly new, that's why I wondered if it was possible to cure my issues with insoles ? I haven't a clue where to start improving my poor form ??
  • While I don't disagree with what Pudge says - there is indeed a school of thought  as described but the the idea of "poor form" (as in heel striking) is part of that school of thought - rather than a hard fact. The evidence to my knowledge is mixed.

I'd do what Meldy suggests and get your gait looked at by a running shop. Where do you live, someone may be able to give a recommendation

• I had that issue (seems to be a family thing, shoes wearing on one side) - had loads of "advice" from running shops about special shoes to correct it... in the end I spent a couple of months changing from heel striking to fore/midfoot striking and I've not looked back - I can wear any of my *many* running shoe styles and have no issues now.  I remember trying 3 running shops and got 3 different "diagnoses" so I lost faith in them.

• High heeled stability or cushioning shoes will only force you to continue on with heel strike. Do not fall for the marketing ploy and the fear of injury if you do not wear expensive heavy stability shoes. 

What you need is a lower drop, lightweight or minimalist trainer that will help you learn to run with better form. 

• Haile Gebrselassie heel strikes for marathons - he's done quite well given his "poor form"