Welcome to RunHub

Happy new year everyone. To kick start 2014, we're launching a new section on the site, RunHub - http://runhub.runnersworld.co.uk/

We had a soft launch yesterday and some of you have already started using it which is fantastic, but if you haven't seen it then head on over and take a look. 

In RunHub you can log runs, analyse your data, set up and join groups, join training plans (coming very soon), enter virtual races and challenges, win prizes and much more. 

Here's an introduction article that explains getting started - http://runhub.runnersworld.co.uk/welcome-to-runhub

That's about it for now, we'll be launching and promoting it fully next week but just wanted to give you guys on the forums a heads up first. 

Enjoy!

Comments

• If it can do the runs for me, I'm in!

• Isn't this what Fetcheveryone does?

Which RW owns btw
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Does look interesting on an initial and cursory glance. I already use Garmin Connect and keep a log on my PC in case GC disappears so I'll be looking for reasons to log my runs in yet another place. But it looks okay from what I've seen.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Looks ok, not as complicated as Fetch has become.

• Muttley I am same but just changed my GC account so using it to keep another record of my runs - just in case .....

• Been using Training Peaks for 4 or 5 years, bit late to the party and see no reason to change now
  • Looks promising. Seems pretty similar to the spreadsheet I'm currently using.

Would be nice if you could enter which shoes you ran in and have it track how many miles you've run in each pair. Also if you could export your data (e.g. to .csv or xml), although cutting and pasting sort of works.

One more thing. How come the January Challenge started on the 2nd? I'm sure I wasn't the only one out running on New Year's Day.

• Thanks for the feedback. 

Tom77, I'll look into this, would be good to have these developments. We started on the 2nd as that's when everyone was back in the office, didn't want it going live with no one about.  

• Ben RW whay have you done this when Fetcheveryone is such a successful site not a criticism just curious

• Tom77, further to that, just made some changes and you can now add shoes.

In the grey nav bar at the top of the screen, click on the drop down menu and go to settings. On the settings page you'll see an equipment tab. If you click on that you'll see an add equipment tab. 

Will probably need to make that more obvious, but it's there!

goldbettle, it's a good question. Fetch is a great site, we work with them and we saw how successful and useful this sort of area of the site coud be and wanted to be able to provide our users with a similar service.  

• By Strava! What a great idea! Why has no one thought of this before!

• SideBurn, you're right, not a new idea, but one that we'd like to put our own spin on and try to improve upon, especially for runners. 

• Ben RW,

I've got many years of running information on Fetch, and was wondering whether this could be transferred to the new Run Hub. If not, I'm afraid there doesn't seem much point in switching. I will, of course give it a try, and run my training, racing etc. in parallel for a while, before making a final decision.

• It is a great concept; I just do not understand why more people do not do it. Strava seems much more popular with cyclists for reasons I do not understand. The main criticism being 'segments' in dangerous places.

I am thinking that this would be a problem for runners when a 'segment' crosses a road, encouraging people to take chances that they would not otherwise take when crossing the road to maintain their time. I like to think I am immune, but when I am in 'course record' mode image My judgement can become impaired  image 

Hopefully you will be on the lookout for this sort of thing!

I am definitely interested in your running focussed plan; I will watch with interest image

• Great for new runners image for those that are used to logging stuff online it's fun but yet another site to maintain image 

but it's fun so see how long I can keep remembering to put thing on it image

• I don't want to be a spoilsport, but the live updates at the side of the forum have already started annoying me and I've adblocked them. I'll have a look at the site though.

• I don't like the fact that the minute milling is in decimals.10.7 min miling doesn't mean anything to me........

also under cycling.where is just normal road cycling

• did you enjoy your 4 mile run seren nos image

• oh..isn't it private :image

• the last run shows up on the right panel don't even need to go into the runhubimage we can all stalk each other image

• booktrunk wrote (see)

the last run shows up on the right panel don't even need to go into the runhubimage we can all stalk each other image

Some of us like to log runs but don't feel the need to broadcast everything to the entire world.  If they're going to use my stuff to advertise themselves I'm out for that reason alone.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

What I can't see on Garmin Connect is a backup facility. You can export runs individually but not in bulk. This might change in the upcoming revamp of GC but I doubt it because that would help users to migrate elsewhere. Without a way of importing my several years of workouts to RunHub I'm unlikely to switch.

Unless there is a way and I've missed it?

• Re Seren & CD's posts - I've looked at RunHub, and considered using it, but would prefer to have the option of keeping it private

• Muttley, you can try RunGap - its on iOS, not sure about other platforms.

Its a little app that lets you download in bulk all your workouts from all the major platforms. Garmin Connect, Strava, Runkeeper, Endomondo, Adidas miCoach, Nike+ etc etc etc, and save the GPX files into Dropbox. The theory then being that you can bulk upload to whatever platform you want.

From there, you can just upload the GPX files into RunHub.

HOWEVER having just tried it out, the GPX upload control doesn't allow multiple file selection. RW would need to implement a JavaScript upload control (Which is actually pretty simple) which will let users upload multiple GPX files in order for that plan to work.

I'm still hoping the new version of Garmin Connect opens its API a bit more for direct platform to platform synchronisation though. Thats the only way I would use RunHub. I already upload to Connect and Endomondo, and I can't be arsed to upload them to a third place - especially as currently the stats and metrics aren't quite at the level of GC/Endomondo.

I appreciate though, that RunHub is intended as a social tool, with the intention of keeping users on the site and generating more ad revenue - but it needs to offer something more to make me want to keep using it.

• Thanks Mattywarr, useful info there and I'll look into the multiple file selection upgrade. We're also hoping that Garmin open up their API!

As for making runs private, at the moment runs are only seen by other members, but we'll be bringing in specific hidden functionality soon. 

• Terence Earney wrote (see)

Ben RW,

I've got many years of running information on Fetch, and was wondering whether this could be transferred to the new Run Hub. If not, I'm afraid there doesn't seem much point in switching. I will, of course give it a try, and run my training, racing etc. in parallel for a while, before making a final decision.

I'll look into this Terence.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The trouble with it being public is that we can all see who's been running where.

At the moment it's telling us that BenRW has been for 2 miles in Soho ... dirty boy. image

• Yeah, it does seem a bit odd that when you fill in your profile it strongly advises you ONLY to put the town, not your precise location, but then encourages everyone to upload their GPS data! As most of my runs start and end at my house, I think I won't be doing that...

Seren, I think you can hide your whole profile, but you don't seem to be able to hide/show things selectively.

• for security reasons noone should be uploading their gps runs really unless there are privacy controls......

and what about the min miling i mentioned Ben

This discussion has been closed.