Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• This week is supposed to be 10mi LSpR, 3x1600m and a 10km easy. This doesn't fit well with travel or XC. I could do the track and easy early in the week,  then split the 10mi with XC and the balance in the afternoon. 

Any major downsides of splitting the 10 in to 2 runs? 

• Iron, you just get a little less bang for your buck endurance wise by splitting a run into 2. For you and I, there is arguably more benefit from double runs, getting the mileage and still maintaining high mileage. Someone training for a marathon would be looking to ensure that runs were done as one and relatively lengthy.

If your racing XC I wouldn't worry about mileage as the evening miles might be classed as 'junk' miles unless run as a pure recovery run. Run them at easy pace and you'll be adding to fatigue. After my race tomorrow I plan to do 2 miles WD then not head out in the evening. I don't see the point after a race.

2.5 miles and strides to ease up for tomorrow's county champs. Even though not fully fit I'm right bang up for it. Our team are faves for a team gold so I want to muscle in on the top 6 lads to be a counter. Hamstring is a tad tight but that can shut it's face! I'm not listening! image

Hello all the new people from various threads! Great scenes!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Good annual reports, thanks for the mentions. lots of aims were accomplished and trophies won, a good year for the thread! Let's make 2014 better. Interesting to see the various mileages we all do. Need to up my game clearly.

Welcome across MG'ersimage

I also have county XC champs on Sunday, a target race. Not ran a fast session since injury so fingers crossed eh. 12km! Good luck SS, Deano and everyone else racing/parkrunning.

• Thanks SS, very useful. My plan would have been to race the XC then carry out the balance at the required pace but I can see how that is just going to hurt now. By the time WU and WD are included I'm sure it'll be near 9 mi.

Good luck tomorrow, and per thread recommendation; don't be shit.

Welcome aboard all the transferees!

• IronCat5 wrote (see)

Good luck tomorrow, and per thread recommendation; don't be shit.

A thread motto is ever there was one!

• Good luck in the XCs... cracking weather for some muddy legs.

After some thought (primarily today.. whilst at 'work' when no one else was in!) I think I've found a goal.

Half marathon on the 1st of March. That gives me 8 weeks to train for it starting this coming Monday. Here comes the cringe bit... (!!) does anyone have experience following a half programme? Hals... Tullochs.. Daniels?

I've got a rough idea of what I'll do. Key sessions being the long run, then 2 quality sessions.. one probably a tempo, and one looking at dropping the sharper speed work and looking at longer reps 1600m etc. (boo image )

• Stevie have a great one tomorrow image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the new signings! Good to see some more northerners on here!image 

• Last 8 weeks of Furman Nikki? Only 3 hard fast runs a week. Rest is easy work on your turbo,  or I guess you can easy run... 

• Haha... Yes iron, the rest of the time spent easy!

im thinking about following this plan http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/half-marathon-allure?page=2

anythoughts? 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Im hopefully going to do a half in June after a run elf early 10ks with Salford in April being the last. I've been looking at this one.

http://training4endurance.co.uk/running/half-marathon-plans/half-marathon-training-plan-elite/

• Then second one fits with your schedule, but the first one looks right  up your street with 20x200m! 

Both seem quite high mileage and the second plan has an element of cramming in it. Can't see any biking? 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I'm not a cyclist. image 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nasty conditions down this way, saw Phil just after my 3m warmup, and I'm sure he'll say I didn't exactly look a ray of health! He looked a little weary after a swimming pool parkrun image

Anyway, had put off my quality sesh from yesterday, something I've probably only ever done once before, when a day was such a monsoon, that foolishly wearing a hooded top meant I was carrying about 3stone extra!

I set out with the aim of 4m MP, and last mile starting 10k with last 1/4m hard, and to be honest despite not feeling top end came out pretty well.

5.46 (whoops), 6.01, 5.59, 6.03 felt alright, and then the last mile came out 5.32

In an ideal set up, that last mile would be a bit quicker, but with the weather and cold still around, I'm pretty happy with today, unlike Tuesday's offering.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Both seem quite high mileage and the second plan has an element of cramming in it. Can't see any biking? 

Depends what you're used to Iron.

When I do 50miles a week it feels quite low, like something is missing, whereas obviously to you with your other sport it'll feel a lot.

That plan Nikki links to seems to include a 6week taper, mileage reduces dramatically!

• Good session Stevie. Canning the session in the monsoon sounds like a sensible idea! For once, we seem to be missing the worst of the weather up here! Touch wood..

Good session for me today. Trained with an endurance group on an XC course thing. Session was 5 - 8 x 4min with 90sec static rec. Dropped out at 6 as was feeling pretty whacked & still battling with this cold. Came out as 6:00, 6:26, 6: 19, 6:26, 6:24, 6:23. Despite it being very muddy and cold, my hip flexor, inside of my heel and lower back giving me a bit of gip.. really enjoyed the session.

Yeh - see what you mean about the drastic taper. Also, I just know I'm not going to have time to go up to 17miles. I'm unlikely to get over 2h of running in with my work schedule. Not ideal I know, but would like to find a plan that doesn't make me feel guilty for not making the long run that long!! Am consider the last 8 weeks of the Garmin (http://www.garmin.com/uk/training) advanced HM training programme. Anyone used it?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SG - Are you at the Chichester 10k this year ? or Eastleigh ?

Cat - re your comment about bruised foot, are you sure that you dont have PF ? Noted your comment on hard running and easy turbo, I seem to do ok off easy running and hard turbo (inc sub3s).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Nikki, can't imagine I'd want to do Saturday sessions too often, just feels like it should be more of a relaxed day historically!

17miles seems a bit overkill for a long run for half training to me. Most I was doing was 16s, with a one off 18 once. At that time, 16s were taking me around 2hours, and I think much over that is getting into niggle risk territory.

TR - I'm not in for any 10ks at the moment. Got to look at it really. Training before Christmas was good, then the 2 quality session this week were a bit weather/cold affected, so I'd like to do a full week flat out first.

Having saving said that, what will be a 70mile week isn't to be sniffed at either way

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice session SG and probably wise Nikki to listen to your body. Probably something not enough of us do. 

I decided against the county champs xc today, the course is pretty much a fell race with 4 laps that takes in a bloody long hill every lap. With having the calf niggle earlier in the week I wasn't keen on chancing it on that terrain. 

• Next time Matt.

Stevie G wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Depends what you're used to Iron.

When I do 50miles a week it feels quite low, like something is missing, whereas obviously to you with your other sport it'll feel a lot.

Fair point SG. I tend to monitor overall weekly hours rather than any specific distance, though I seem to be knocking out 50km run weeks at the moment.

TR wrote (see)

Cat - re your comment about bruised foot, are you sure that you dont have PF ? Noted your comment on hard running and easy turbo, I seem to do ok off easy running and hard turbo (inc sub3s).

Thanks for the pointer TR. A quick google suggests PF is more heel pain than ball of foot, though I'm happy to receive info either way.

I'm following a run program at the moment, hence why the turbos are easy (rollers at the moment). Back on to hard turbos and easy runs after Wokingham HM.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SG - fair enough, none of my training is particularly structured so I'm doing a few 10ks as hard blow outs in the VLM build up. good short sharp shock without the fatigue that a 1/2 might leave behind.

cat - interesting, I thought PF was a ball of the foot thing, that tightens overnight etc anyway lots of lower leg loosening like foot and ankle rotations.writing aplhabet with foot etc is supposed to help.

• As SG says, I did parkrun this morning which was tougher than many of the XC so far this year: standing water maybe 6 inches deep in places, very few places where ven the paths were clear. Came out as a nice run overall though: I started fast but was still in 5th by the first corner. One of them had obviously gone out way to fast and fell back easily, and then another was picked off at 1km, but the guy in 4th moved up as well with me so I was in 3rd and it looked like he wasn't going to chase 1st so I did a bus and took him on a hill. From then on in it was all about holding station: the only hard bit was that the sound of splashing through puddles seemed to make people behind much closer then they really were, so I thought I was being chased down and yet when I got to a turn and could look round there was no risk.

20:09 was the finishing time so nothing magic but I was highest age graded and I think that is the first time that has happened. 3rd time I have finished second so maybe first one day when the moons align or I drop marathon training.

• Sounds horrendous Phil; good effort nevertheless. Well done on the age grading.

TR - we are talking Plantar Fasciatis (sp?) aren't we?

Tempo run done. Was hoping to have a 1 off bad run but it happened again.
    Was supposed to be 8km at 4:08 after WU and CD. Vagaries of terrain gave me 4:02, 4:10, 4:05, 4:03, 4:11, 4:15, then halfway through the 7th km I stopped and walked as I struggled to maintain the pace.

Everything was going well up to Christmas, then I got ill and took 3 days off then did planned sessions but at easy intensity. Got back in to it this week with a good long run, easy parkrun (which felt hard work at 25mins) then the crap track session and today's crap tempo.

I had a 5km PB early Dec which changed my training paces and I'd been hitting these fine for 2 weeks before the pre-Christmas illness.

Diet has been shocking the past few weeks - loads of drink and crap food.

Mentally I'm champing at the bit but physically lacking energy. image In fact, I feel absolutely shattered now.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good work Phil, but remember parkrun is not a race! Squelchy parkrun for me too at Woodley. Ankle deep puddles all over the shop and the grass was a quagmire. 17:17 for first in the conditions will do fine, even trail shoes couldnt fully cope with the mud.. 3 parkruns in 8 days will hopefully have built some good strength and pace for Wokingham. It did last year anyway.

Added 2 extra miles at half marathon pace (ish) afterwards.

• It is a bit muddy round here too. I did the county xc champs, and (admittedly due to a shockingly poor turnout and not my actual xc brilliance) was 4th Notts lady. So now I have a dilemma: is it worth messing up my current marathon training plans to do the intercounties just so I can get a lovely new vest? I suspect my coach will think it isn't. I'd look good in green though. And I bet I'll struggle to qualify ever again.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lit - Yes, it is worth it. Well done!

• Dachs - are you just saying that because you are biased in favour of green vests?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yes.

But it was also fully my intention to aim to qualify for the inter counties, and had I been successful I'd have run the inter counties irrespective of any effects on my VLM preparations. In the event, I forgot to enter.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

That's brilliant Lit! Got to run for your county for certain. Plus you might get on TV image

Nice park running Phil & Dachs in poor conditions. 

• Dachs wrote (see)

In the event, I forgot to enter.

Now that's real dedication. image