Sub 3h15

Comments

• Ant - going great. Not sure about the foot - hope it's nothing serious.
    KR - out of work at the moment, so not always posting so early. Running is still mostly early doors though. Welcome to TCCSTF team.
    BOTF - belated birthday wishes. Same day as my brother.
    Minni - 4 hours!
    Abbers - yes, no point sticking rigidly to the schedule.
    Moof - pleased to hear the calf was OK yesterday.
    SB - no, it's not just you!
    PMJ - nice week lined up.
    GM - well done on getting out there in that weather.
    Rich - will you be swimming all day?
    Lorenzo - It took me ages the first time I read it - couldn't find volume 3 anywhere! Good running in the rain.
    I overslept this morning - so did a quick 5 miles instead of a long run. Oh well, it's still officially part of a 2 week cut-back for Christmas / New Year. Might get another run in later or tomorrow, but otherwise that's week 11 of base training completed.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sigh.  Sinuses are still blocked so still can't hear properly out of my left ear and have therefore declared myself unfit for the SW XC tomorrow.  Fingers crossed that in 3 weeks' time I'll be able to do myself justice at the Mids XC - it'll have been the best part of 2 months since I raced by then!

• Gul- Ha Ha doing my hair after that, bit of DIY, twiddling my thumbs for a bit, resting up for tomorrows 15! going to do it slow! 8:30-9:00mm

I feel like I'm the only one in this thread struggling to keep up with the paces! image

I will keep it going though. Back to work on Monday so training had better not take a hit! image

• Parkrun this morn for me after 8 yesterday  , 19:36 got me forth place and 1st v40  so can't complain.image One of the front runners took a shortcut to move up a place near the finish which was a bit naughty .

Dont worry Rich the pace will come..I hope anyway image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good one, Leslie - poor show by the short-cutter, though  . . . .
    Nice feeling doing the long one on Fri, Lorenzo - hope you're suitably smug todayimage

20 drab drizzly miles here today - group of five, three peeled off after about 5 miles to do 8 or 9, last chum veered off at 17 leaving last three miles solo - felt very tired, and so tempted to settle for 19 as this was distance when I passed my road, but continued on for lap of nearby park to bag the intended distance. One of those "just get it done" affairs.   

• Don't worry Rich. There is plenty of time. Which paces are you struggling with at the moment. Easy pace shouldn't be forced, and it is unlikely you will be capable of running goal marathon pace comfortably for much distance at present. Consistent training is the name of the game.

6 weeks into the Hanson plan and a bit of fatigue and muscle soreness is just starting to set in, Getting used to a speed session plus tempo session two days apart is having its effects. Still no significant LRs. My feelings at this point is that the plan cound deliver some decent HM conditioning, but leave you wanting at marathon distance.

Bad luck on the XC jools.

Things are sounding good at base camp Gul. Not long now before you start to summitimage

• Nice running by those who made it out in the rain. Hope those benched get better soon but it does seem to be a good time to back off and wait for the moment.

I did parkrun this morning which was tougher than many of the XC so far this year: standing water maybe 6 inches deep in places, very few places where ven the paths were clear. Came out as a nice run overall though: I started fast but was still in 5th by the first corner. One of them had obviously gone out way to fast and fell back easily, and then another was picked off at 1km, but the guy in 4th moved up as well with me so I was in 3rd and it looked like he wasn't going to chase 1st so I did a bus and took him on a hill. From then on in it was all about holding station: the only hard bit was that the sound of splashing through puddles seemed to make people behind much closer then they really were, so I thought I was being chased down and yet when I got to a turn and could look round there was no risk.

20:09 was the finishing time so nothing magic but I was highest age graded and I think that is the first time that has happened. 3rd time I have finished second so maybe first one day when the moons align or I drop marathon training.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Rich 26point2 wrote (see)

Gul- Ha Ha doing my hair after that, bit of DIY, twiddling my thumbs for a bit, resting up for tomorrows 15! going to do it slow! 8:30-9:00mm

I feel like I'm the only one in this thread struggling to keep up with the paces! image

I will keep it going though. Back to work on Monday so training had better not take a hit! image

Rich - if you're struggling with the paces that much then they are the wrong paces for you at the moment.  Don't compare yourself to others on here - most (but not everyone) is closer or under a sub 3 marathon.  You can only do what you do and get it right this time and it'll give you a great base to work on next time.

I entered York marathon yesterday and already I am thinking of that after London.  It takes many campaigns to run fast marathons (for most) and to try and do it in one go is a mistake many make.

I ran 3:15 last year from 3:20 the year before (from 3:28 the year before that) and I didn't hit any of the paces you're running. 

Also what is the D33?  Is that 33 miles?  If it is I'm not sure that is the best plan for your last long run.  No matter how slowly you run it your body will still take a bit of a beating and you'll need to recover from it.

I have very good endurance and recover very quickly from long runs.  There's a marathon near me 5 weeks before London and I briefly thought about it as a LSR (Poacher you might be interested) but then decided I didn't want to risk my A race for the sake of something that isn't important.

Anyhoo, 20 miles for me today with the first 10 averaging 8:28 and the second 10 averaging 7:45. Boom. image  And no wind and very little rain!  Felt like paradise!!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You did well to sieze the opportunity Minni- great long run. I'm doing the Durham relays next w/end- not yoir bag I guess?

My parkrun was under par this morning. Started slow and was outside top 20 for the first half mile, but gradually clawed back to 8th to finish in 18:50. Junior OO got a nice PB though in 23:09- waiting for the official results but 5th lady I think. 

Will you do a long run insted of the XC Jools or just rest?   

• I'm still not fit either, and a bruised heel bone isn't helping matters. Luckily however, the turnout for the Notts XC champs was exceptionally poor, so still managed to secure a county vest. Did what was needed and nothing more. Just couldn't breathe on the hill and couldn't get my breath back again afterwards either. Plus I need to lose 3kg. 

Team gold, and I finally got the shield for the HM County Champs that I won last October. 

• Minni wrote (see)
    Rich - if you're struggling with the paces that much then they are the wrong paces for you at the moment. 

+1 for this. Most people on here are not struggling with their paces because they're running to paces based on their current fitness and actual race times, not paces arbitrarily prescribed by a plan.

Hello again, Speedy. I have washed all the mud off my legs and am now sitting in bed with a giant pot of coffee.

• It took 2 showers and a bath to get rid of that mud, and I had to undress in the tub too! I am now sitting next to the halogen heater with a mug of coffee.  

• Rich -get a half in to see where your at as one set 5 years ago isnt much use now .image

• Minnie- It's tough for me getting back to running the paces I was a year ago! when I stayed in Plymouth I used to run in a group where I would constantly run 7mm over 7-8 miles on hilly routes then I unfortunately got a bad knee round about this time last year running through the snow. anyway it put me back somewhat and training for me last year was sporadic at best in-between races done at paces I'm wasn't happy with(3:44) was the quickest last year.

this season though I have been looking at building up slowly. I have been doing well but really struggle to run fast without anyone there to run with! Lacking motivation. The long runs however I'm doing no bother at 8:10ish, last one was 13miles and I have a 15miler tomorrow which I'm going to run slower at 8:45-9:00mm. Also think it's this cold/chesty thing that is slowing me down. 

I think you are right about the A-race in the way I should scrap the D33 and concentrate on the Marathon in April.

Although last years times don't put me where I want to be as in sub 3:15, I was in Plymouth training with two guys that were training for sub 3:15 to qualify for London and I was right there with them(if not in front) during their training before injury. so it is in the tank I guess I just hope it comes back in the next 13 weeks.

I will stop comparing myself to others on the thread as I am just getting back into it. I will concentrate on sticking to the schedule and building up the mileage and confidence. 

Lit and Leslie- Thanks, your right, I just need to get my fitness up and my weight down to make the pacing feel more manageable!

PMJ- well done in your Parkrun! that's a great time in that conditions! 2nd also! great stuff!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Rich - take the pace worry out of it and just tick off the sessions, its way to early to be worrying about pace. In 6 weeks things wil lhave turned round if you train consistently. I'm miles away from being marathon fit and able to hold decent paces in training (but I wont be in April). But then I've only run twice this week, 5 non running days needs sorting out I guess.

Birch - excellent, 20 noted !

• TRTR ✭✭✭

none meant to the xcers and parkrunners, they just dont appear on my radar.

• Birch and Minni - Cracking LSrs, hope to emulate you tomorrow. Good results from the Parkrunners

Congrats Speedy - Job done!

Got out for yesterdays 12 miler all be it splitting it into a 7 and 5 double with a meeting as the filling. A 5 today but still got this head cold affair which is tickling my chest but no more. It needs to either clear or come out.

• Me too with the fitness up/weight down thing Rich!

Lorenzo, I read Citadel over Christmas. It took a while to get in to it, but then I really enjoyed it. Until the last bit. I won't spoil it by saying why.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

3kg Speedy- you must have gone wayward uo North? Congrats on the fab XC result.

Felt slightly shamed by all the hard work going in on here, so went out for another 6 miles this PM. Still need 10 tomorrow to scrape 40 for a 2nd week below target.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Has anyone got the race list? 

• Haha, Speedy, your clubmate has just posted a picture of us on facebook with matching weird flamingo leg positions - we look like we're standing ankle deep in mud on one leg and waving the other leg around in the air!

• Yeah, attractive pose, isn't it?! I am finally warm again. 

OO - not up North, the damage was done while I was ill for 3 weeks. Feed a cold they say.I didn't eat more than usual, but I wasn't training!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

RichTR, Minni, Lit et al are spot on re pace, try look after yourself and it will come.

Birch  - Nice one for the bank.

Minni - Ditto.

Nice parkrunning & XC folks.

3.8 for me tonight at 7:18mm pace just to round things off to 34. 14 planned tomorrow.

• Gul, good to see you oversleeping and posting about your run before I got up.

Hardcore Birch for seeing through your 20 miler while others peeled off.

Well done on your XC Speedy.

Good you're still running Menn with your cold. Was it a planned double or just fitting the mileage into the day?

County XC today for me today and what a challenge that was.

There was literally no solid ground. If it wasn't a quagmire of mud it was mini lakes of water. A multiple lap course in a county park and surrounding fields it is very stunning surroundings, just a shame the conditions were carp. A good training run though with 2 miles there and back after to get in 11 miles for the day
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Managed to get out for 15 miles at 8.10 pace today with the last 2 miles at around 7.43 pace. Legs felt strong but there was some hard work at times in the wind and rain. Not race ready yet but that's to be expected of course.

Not sure if PMJ remembers but he gave me some LSR advice a while back and it helped pace me today on my longest run since the Paris marathon. Cheers Fella.

SB
  • Good long run SB, endurance is key at this stage and speed will come. Good to get some faster miles at the end. I always find this a good way to do the long runs and to try and get the MP miles at the end on tired legs.
  • Sporty, looks good. I do remember the advice, warm up, then a good chunk at MP+20% and after that MP+10%, then ease off over the last bit. I am planning a LSR for Monday and am looking at exactly that to ensure I get a good route back.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Also-ran wrote (see)

6 weeks into the Hanson plan and a bit of fatigue and muscle soreness is just starting to set in, Getting used to a speed session plus tempo session two days apart is having its effects. Still no significant LRs. My feelings at this point is that the plan cound deliver some decent HM conditioning, but leave you wanting at marathon distance.

Also-ran- The Hanson plan you're following is fairly similar to my made up HM plan. My long runs peaking at 16 miles, a bit of speed work in there and weekly mileage max at about 60. Although I'm a little behind where I want to be because of a few injuries/niggles in the past couple of months. These speed sessions do take their toll when you are not used to them.

I see in your plan you are running Wokingham, is this tempo run at planned MP (6.10/6.15)? I'll be running at about that but for me 13.1 is enough.

Nice long run SB.

Rich- Have you tried training using a heart rate monitor, I find it's great to keep your pace / effort in check. Also with regards to MP you will be running to current MP fitness rather than hoped MP.

My training when I can be arsed to wear my HR strap are.

Easy pace less than 75% max heart rate.

MP 85-90% MHR

Tempo 88-93%

7.5  miles tonight with a few sets of stride thrown in. No niggles, so I'll add some decent sessions in next week.

14 mile 'long run' planned tomorrow. This HM training is a doddle.

• Jools - get well soon.
    Rich - enjoy the 15 miler.
    Good parkrunning by Leslie, PMJ and OO.
    Birch
    - well done on toughing out that 20 miler.
    AR - watching your progress with Hanson with interest.
    Minni - cracking 20 miler.
    Speedy - that XC must have been tough. Well done.
    Mennania - nice double.
    GM - good obsessiveness!
    KR - that XC sounds like a barrel of laughs!
    SB - good running.
    Moof - sounding promising.
    6 miles @ 8:49 m/m d&d.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

The sun is shining and it's a lovely frosty morning. Couldn't help but lengthen my recovery run a bit and did 6.5 in the hills. 

I've entered a 20 race in March. It will be the first time I've done a 20m race before a marathon (actually ever) but will adopt the 10/10 strategy or similar.   Interesting that the prizes will be awarded on age graded performances.   I think another from the thread will be there too. 

Did I mention it's 20 x 1 mile laps....

rich - you're doing and going to do really well. image