Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Great result Lit, I'd give a lot to get a county vest! 

• matt - they want 12 quid for it apparently.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Cat - yes, I understand that it extends from the heel to behind the toes. Shame about todays run, but its tricky to hit specific paces on a given day, none of us are robots and sometimes the body just isnt up for it. Race day is easier as there has been some sort of mental investment and maybe some easing back.

• Well done, Lit! And for my pennyworth, if I were coaching you I would be disappointed if you didn't run the inter-counties! As you say, you may never qualify again. Also, this will contribute to your experience, add to motivation and in my view one race will not distract from your marathon campaign. In fact it could make a welcome distraction!

When I gained county vests we always had to hand them back afterwards. And they never fitted.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Carpe Diem Lit! Why would you not do it? 

• We'll done Lit, have to agree with others go for the inter counties. I am sure coach could jiggle your schedule to fit it in.

nice session this morning SG, planning similar sessions to that myself over the next few weeks.

Well done to Dachs and Phil at park run in difficult conditions.

Yorkshire CX champs for me this morning. I haven't seen the results yet but it felt like a good run out in what was an absolute mud bath with a couple of nasty hills thrown into the mix. It was supposed to be 10.4k but garmins were measuring it as 7.5 to 7.8 miles. I got 7.58miles in 48:44, 6:26/mi average pace, though I suspect I was slower and my garmin over measured the course. Took a couple of decent scalps though which is the main thing. The Missus reckons I was about 1/3 through the field. Thats my first XC race in 2 years so can't complain with the result. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done Lit. You can't turn down a chance to run in a county vest! 

Having driven back from Exeter today and seen flooding everywhere, I can only imagine how wet it was at the Rye today Philip! Nicely done too Dachs.

Nice session SG. Interesting about the 50 weeks. This week will be my first 50M week since the first week of October (!) and has felt hard to get to, especially as it has all been in singles (and still needs 8M tomorrow).  3.5M on the hotel treadmill first thing (just to get the miles up!)

Cliveden XC tomorrow. Looks like it could be a bit of a mud fest and the section alongside the Thames could be interesting! Not expecting much as my legs are tired and sore, but will turn out for the fun of it and see how it goes, as it is one of my favourite (albeit very tough!) races.

IronCat5 wrote (see)

WTF Bus?

Iron - every time I post on my tablet, as soon as I press "return" all the letters come out backwards! I think I said "very sensible SG" and then "this is pissing me off now". Only does it on RW - most odd, not to mention annoying!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

A touch of the samirs there Dachs, with forgetting to enter.

congrats lit, you should run inter counties as its a superb experience...plus I got on tv 3 times last yr so my kids had bragging rights at school.

i did county Xc champs today. For those that know the course It was Stafford  common and it's well known how muddy that course is even in the height of summer.  I know seb and SS have raced on it previously.  It's my 3rd time and the conditions were the worst. Ankle deep mud was the best of it, the rest was worse. Some parts muddy with 8 inch standing water that stretched for. 10-15m.  It was a proper Xc course but that means it didn't play to any of my strengths.  I felt flat beforehand but hoped I would wake up in the race.

race starts and I tuck into about 20th keeping an eye on the main vet rival.  In the race was another chap who raced for England and another who is nationally good in fell running.  I tucked in behind the other England chap and he tows me round.  I feel leggy in the hideous conditions but keep telling myself I will be stronger in the 2nd Half . If I'm honest I made a mistake as I focused solely on this chap and forgot about the rest of the race. with only 2m got go I get told I'm 3rd vet!  Eh! What's that about, but my coach confirmed that a chap who I didn't know had a 100m lead on us.  Balls!  This wasn't the plan! I wait for a slightly less boggy bit to raise my pace, I drop my rival in chase of the mysterious new rival. I hit a high pace and I'm passing people with ease. I make 20m on him but he is still miles ahead. Into a really boggy bit so I take it to recover and I will go again.  Into the last mile and I go hard.  But so did he, I make some more ground but its clear unless he does a Devon loch I'm not going to catch him. 600m to go and I get a shout that the team prize is tight with Tipton  and they need me to take the Tipton chap in front.  I focus on him, wind him in then burst past with a decent pace, and I kick for home, Its a decent finish and i create a good gap. 

so 2nd vet so a silver county medal, gutted about 2nd but I didn't deserve better.

won the team gold too. same points as Tipton but our 6th counter was better than theirs.  So that sprint finish where I took the Tipton chap mattered.  Not sure my position in the overall race as they didn't give tokens out, but they gave me a form to complete be in consideration for  the inter counties.   Shame I can't make it!

ave pace 6.15 over 6.5m.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

You're going to need a bigger cabinet Dean! Great racing In terrible conditions. 

Well done on your outing YD. it's been over a year since I last did a xc. Not a massive fan but I enjoy the fells for some strange reason which can be far worse conditions. 

• Lit, definitely take the vest and get yourself on Sky. It's worth it. £14 down here!

6 invitations given out in Berkshire today, came in 6th to bag the last one so pleased with that - particularly as it makes up for a poor race on NYD.

• Yes, you lot are all right. I hadn't thought about the 'being on TV' aspect. I think I got hung up on the fact that I'd entered Ashby 20 next day on purpose to do the P&D 14 miles @ mp session. But as SG points out, I can just do it as an LSR and do the mp nonsense another time. So I will see you there, PC2!

Dean - that sounds like a pretty exciting race. Tipton always reminds me of Trumpton though for some reason. So you were quite right not to let them win:

http://www.toonhound.com/trumpton-2.jpg

• Good you seem to have decided to get the vest Lit, well done.

Solid run there Dean, good to beat Tipton, certainly in days gone by they were the team to beat. Remember a guy called Tony Milovsorov who used to run for them, 6th in London in 1989 with a 2:09, and is also 18th on the 12 stage relays with 24:59. Also a coach called Bud Baldaro who is somewhat handy.

• Well done everyone on today's cross country. I was jealous seeing that everyone was running. I can't take any weekends off work at the moment and regaining fitness.. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Congrats on your vest PC2. I'm rather envious of you county representatives! I'be got to get myself a county vest! going to have to be a target for next year. Although I need to improve a lot! Lots of injuries and a few missing in the lancs one so my best chance has probably just gone. 

• Lit, you MUST represent your county if you have the choice. The inter counties is an honour to be part of. One I'll never get, so let me live my life through your eyes! image

Deano, great result. That course is a mare when it's muddy.The top end of the Cheshire's was stacked this year. Dan Cliffe, Matt Barnes, C Perry, S Doyle, D Nicholls, J Bailey were the top 5. All excellent runners, Bailey in 5th being part of the national road relays champion team. Marc H didn't finish unfortunately though. he had talked himself out of it before it began!  

Our course was a complete mud bath, one section had 2 big dipper style hills (up then immediately down) and some very deep. Luckily I was bang up for it and ran my arse off. Came out with my best ever county performance and finished 24th. My previous best was 44th! I was also 5th counter and Vale Royal won the team event so came home with a Cheshire team gold! Winner.

I had to be scrapped off the floor at the end. Really surprised how fit I actually was as I beat some very decent chaps. Although I do think a lot of guys s**t out of a challenge bit today. Great start to 2014!

The course twisted, jarred, pulled and smashed me to bits so a shorter easy one tomorrow me thinks.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Woo hooo - golds galore! Well done boys, and on the vet silver too dean. Top racing! Well done on the County vest too PC.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

My club scooped a team gold. I'm definitely going to miss the Ribble Valley 10k next year and target the county champs instead to hopefully get a piece of the action. 

• What an amazing weekend vest wise.  Well done all. 

• Well done all you XC champions.. esp Lit! I'm so jealous! Massively well done you. Hope you're feeling really proud, I would be. Fantastic opportunity.

13m with a club this morning @ 7:42 but with chunk @ HMP (km 12 - 19 coming out at 4:28, 4:10, 4:11, 4:13, 4:24, 4:16, 4:23, 4:17/km.... sorry SG for working in km pace!!) after a rather conservative start.

I think I'm going to regret those 7km. Feeling SMASHED now!

53 miles this week

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cliveden XC for me this morning. After all the rain, it was nice to get out on such a crisp, clear morning.  

As predicted, I put in a pretty poor performance (not quite shit, but close). I knew from the off that I wasn't right and instantly found myself much further down the field than I would have liked. After all the rain, there was lots of mud and slippery turns, but that's the same for everyone and  not the reason I was well beaten by many runners I'd normally have been very close to. Ended up  75 secs down on last year. On the plus side, I did pull back a few places on the second lap with it's two big hills in the last mile, including managing to get past and hold off a local rival who I really didn't want to lose to!

Another positive was being overtaken by the second placed lady before the long steps in the first lap - not something I'd normally call a positive, but she was, in the words of Guy Martin about Laura Trott, "very easy to look at" - especially in lycra and from that angle image.  

I'll get me coat.....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

oops - actually 2 mins 15 down on last year image

• Looking at Wokingham and the estimated finish times. Some odd ones with 75 minutes as a target:

Roy Maddams, good runner but has a very fat PB of 89:26 (his mara PB is 2:53 so back to back 86s) and is going for 75.

Matt Davenport, consistently sub 75 and 73 at Wokingham last year, target 75.

Graham Robinson, runs for Sandhurst with SG, PB just inside 72.

Chris Hunt (junior) from Datchet who finishes just TVXC a few places ahead of me and is targeting 75.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah Phil, the Wokingham estimated times list always makes for interesting viewing.

Always interesting to see the underplayers and the over optimistic.

Knowing Graham and Matt, I suspect they might just have slight niggles taking their confidence down a bit, but I dare say they'll both smash a lot quicker, they're just modest chaps.

Roy looks optimistic on paper, but having seen the way he destroyed me and other 75:xx past half marathoners (and faster) at Handy Cross XC a few weeks ago, and seeing his 5k times, I'm sure he'll produce.

No idea on that kid. Even if a junior is fast he might well not have the legs to last over a Half.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, sounds like you had a blast either way, I know you love that race. Sometimes it's not all about performance is it, like it wasn't at the start. We lose that quite often when it's all about number crunching.

I saw your mate Gaz near the end of my 14 today getting a lift there.

There's a thread on events about Cliveden, and some guy made me laugh saying you "never" see XC races called off. Gloriously ironic on the thread of a race that itself has been called off twice in recent years?!image

Well done to all County XCers. I don't really understand it all, and certainly don't fancy it, but it sounds simple to me, anything you have to qualify for is a top notch achievement.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

The shorter the distance the better Roy runs, so I wouldn't set much store by his marathon time. I think setting big targets seems to motivate him. 75? We shall see. But he did run 80 at Reading laat year under someone else's name and wasnt flat out. And he is as better runner now than he was then.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

PC2 - congrats on the county vest

Stevie S - excellent. congrats on the gold!   bet you are glad you made the race now as you werent feeling positive earlier.  5th counter and 24th overall is a huge leap.  and it looked stacked at the front with that quality.   One of our lads won ours ahead of ben gamble, ryan holroyd & the winner of Leek xc in north staffs league came 17th!!

YD - sounds like a good re-introduciton to xc for you....nice work

Bus - sounds like a tough race but at least you found the positive in the form of the "view" image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

2013 World Triathlon Champion apparently:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZJQhFcUR3-4/UkWflmOq6cI/AAAAAAAAANE/oMtXAWIQJBs/s0-d/google-plus-cover-alice-hector.jpg

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

And here is proof of my enviable position image

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M_fDgTzMGPA/UsmLcuvvcdI/AAAAAAAACis/_MPHjms9Uao/s576/IMG_2311.JPG

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sinister Bus, sinister image

World triathlete champ, 2nd at Cliveden! Wonder if she knew someone like Sam would turn up.

• Bus, you seem to be doing a Sid James leer in that picture.