Tips How To Save Your Energy Bills

- Shower together

- Turn the pressure down when showering

- Microwaving food for two nights a week

- After cooking food in the oven leave the oven door open to help warm the kitchen

- Use toaster and not the oven grill to toast your bread

- Drink two fewer hot drinks a week

- Dry clothes outside or use a clothes horse rather than using a tumble dryer

- Scrape your plates and do not rinse your plates before you put them in the   dishwasher

- Unplug all electrical appliances that you do not use regularly

- Lower your water heater to 50 degree celsius and wash clothes in warm or cold water

- Read a book than watching television

- Play Monopoly or any other family game instead of watching TV

- Go to bed early

I am young gifted and Black.

Comments

• With all the hot air you produce your energy bills must cost next to nothing.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

If you want to read a book then surely you'd need the light on at night or do they suggest reading by candlelight.

• Or they could lower the fecking prices.

• Who do you shower and play Monopoly with if you live on your own?

• Cinders wrote (see)

If you want to read a book then surely you'd need the light on at night or do they suggest reading by candlelight.

Candles are expensive - I'd suggest a wind-up torch.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Who do you shower and play Monopoly with if you live on your own?

You could organise a shower sharing scheme with a neighbour image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Here's an idea that's cheaper than microwaving...  Two days a week, in the morning wrap your left-overs in foil and pop them on a radiator...  Come the evening they'll be plenty warm enough to eat.

• XFR Bear wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Who do you shower and play Monopoly with if you live on your own?

That would certainly work if the neighbour looked like Jessie Pavelka image

• XX1 wrote (see)

Here's an idea that's cheaper than microwaving...  Two days a week, in the morning wrap your left-overs in foil and pop them on a radiator...  Come the evening they'll be plenty warm enough to eat.

Yeah, nice one, a great suggestion for developing rampant cultures of food poisoning bacteria......or have I been suckered by an obvious troll, XX1 (or should I say Lit)?

• now sharing a bath can reduce money but surely sharing a shower would use up a lot more money....only one can access the water at any time and all the squirming around trying to get to the water is only going to lead toi one thing.....and the shower could last for a very long time

• Blisters wrote (see)
    XX1 wrote (see)

Yeah, nice one, a great suggestion for developing rampant cultures of food poisoning bacteria......or have I been suckered by an obvious troll, XX1 (or should I say Lit)?

I think it may have been a joke.

• I used to work somewhere yonks ago where we would get cold pies out of a machine mid-morning and cellotape them to a radiator to heat them up in time for lunch.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

"Here's an idea that's cheaper than microwaving...  Two days a week, in the morning wrap your left-overs in foil and pop them on a radiator...  Come the evening they'll be plenty warm enough to eat."

Won't that work only if the radiators are on? I thought the point was to save money?

• - Shower together

and be late for work

- Turn the pressure down when showering

and smell

- Microwaving food for two nights a week

prepare tasteless food so it doesn't matter if you microwave it

- After cooking food in the oven leave the oven door open to help warm the kitchen

you should always let your oven cool this way (its usually in the manufacturers instructions)

- Use toaster and not the oven grill to toast your bread

eat cereal

- Drink two fewer hot drinks a week

and miss out on a caffeine hit

- Dry clothes outside or use a clothes horse rather than using a tumble dryer

stop washing your clothes and just smell

- Scrape your plates and do not rinse your plates before you put them in the   dishwasher

stop using a dishwasher and do the plates in the sink

- Unplug all electrical appliances that you do not use regularly

if they are switched off they aren't using any electricity

- Lower your water heater to 50 degree celsius and wash clothes in warm or cold water

and go to work smelly

- Read a book than watching television

have sex instead of reading a book

- Play Monopoly or any other family game instead of watching TV

bloody boring when there are only 2 of you, have sex instead

- Go to bed early

have sex

So in reality all Karen wants is to smell and have sex, Somehow can't see that working

• Apparently First Utility increased its prices by 18% last year...

• Unless you live in a tower block...

• Somebody must, I see lights on at night image

• Just a thought about that suggestion of opening the oven door.

Whether the temperature inside the oven equalises with the kitchen quickly or slowly is utterly irrelevant. The same heat will dissipate into the same kitchen. The money's already been spent on heating up the air.

What the article did omit was the real opportunities to save money. I am ignoring the sex argument here, because we all know that ends up being hideously expensive.

1- Draught sealing, if your windows allow enough air in that your curtains move, then there's too much leakage.

2- Close the curtains once the temperature starts to drop, not just when it goes dark.

3- That old fridge in the garage? The one containing a bottle of white wine and 4 beers? Unplug it and open the door.

4- If you've got TRVs fitted to radiators, checks whether you really have got a reasonable balance of heat in the different rooms. A tiny toilet room doesn't need to be roasting, nor does a hallway. A kitchen doesn't need radiator heat output if you actually cook in there. If you've got a conservatory, and don't use it in winter, just put frost stat level of heating into it, and lock the door.

5- wear a vest

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    XFR Bear wrote (see)

it might soon be forced upon you by the govt if you dare to claim benefits.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Blisters wrote (see)
    XX1 wrote (see)

I think it may have been a joke.

Indeed it was intended as a joke; however, I have it on good authority that Burgess Cooper (whistleblower in the Dowty Rotol fraud case) really did used to do this.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

That old fridge in the garage? It'll be far more efficient if you put more wine and beer in it.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Blisters -- you could save on your energy bill by wearing a toupee and turning your heating down image

• Don't store your hot water at 50C unless you want to increase your likely hood of legionnaires disease....60C minimum