Sunday 5th January 2014

Morning...and again, just!

Lyrics are: Hello loneliness
I think I'm-a gonna cry

Twins' birthday is Monday but we are celebrating today, so I am up wrapping presents, having made a couple of cakes that I need to decorate first thing. Can't believe they will be 24 tomorrow!

Cricket: not looking good, as usual.

Yesterday's parkrun turned out to be 23:14, with M65 friend running 22:35. My WAVA was 69.01: hope to virtually beat you next time Don, image

What: probably around 30 mins/5k
Why: it will be a case of seeing what I can fit in, and if there has been any damage to the legs from running faster yesterday.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Happy birthday to the twins, but its scary how quick they age.
  • alehouse - good running - mine's going to pot! My son is 34 tomorrow! Happy birthday to your twins!

What: Rest

Why: - did a mad xcountry race on Saturday on Waiheke Island - very early start as we had to catch the 6.15am ferry - race started at 8am - a low key event - money raised going to the local school, but one of the hardest races I think I've ever done. Must be my age and lack of fitness. Supposed to be 10km but a lot shorter than that but still took me over 50 minutes - huge hills around vineyards, crossing stiles, bridges, through bush - very hot even at that hour, with high humidity. 

Then visited my sister who lives there, beaut swim, then big lunch - a big day out with the family - all very tired afterwards.

• Morning

What: Rest Day

Why: Sunday usually is for me. Walked Geordie for 45mins though

Lyrics: Yes, saw  adocumetary over festive period featuring this song and the singers.

Working again tomorrow 7am -3pm.

Happy Birthday to the twins.image

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - as many knew - were Like A Hurricane

Hope your knee is ok after that run Dustin. Well done to Miss D.

Send some heat our way NZC!

Hope you have a good day with the twins Alehouse.

Are you enjoying it birks?

What:             LSR
    Why:              Brass in two weeks
    Last hard:      22/12
    Last rest:       28/12

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH

Yes I am, its like a full days cross training. 100% better than Aldis

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning
    Ale , NZC  - many happy returns to the offspring!
    NZC - well toughed out, sounds a good race though

what - woke up to heavy legs so defer a 6 mile recovery until tonight
    why - when I can: timekeeping at day 2 of swimming 10-6
    last rest - 25th
    last hard - stairs, half an hour ago
    lyric - think so

have a great day everyone

• excellent day for the Dustins yesterday image

happy birthday to the twins, ale

NZC: great day out it seems. Well done on a tough race.

Postie: secretly hoping for 3:19 at Boston but what with recent injury woes I'm happy to just toe the start line. A PB will be a nice bonusimage

what: hilly 20 once the rain stops

why: it's Sunday

last hard: Thursday

last rest: 16/12

Lyrics: yes
  • What: undecided

why: if I knew that I wouldn't be undecided!

last hard: final blow of Ashes

last rest: Friday

lyrics: no but sound familiar

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Morning all

As Dustin said yesterday, XC, a tad muddy and plenty of water, 116th for me, so happy with that.

Also did a very easy parkrun with Mrs RFJ in the morning

Attempted to run this morning, but canned after 50 meters as had no grip due to the ice.... so will go out later and dont want to fall....

Take care

• Very slippery here first thing too but not too bad once we'd walked Grace and were ready to go. A nice comfortable 17 for me in the end, now need to taper for Brass then I can get back to some proper training.

• 7 mile LSR for me today, was tough for 2 reasons

1.) Breathing was fine, nothing hurt as such.. but upper legs were stiff towards the end. Not helped by the hills on the return journey

2.) I shouldn't take my watch with me, I made sure I was at a convo pace the whole way. My time was 1 hour exact at 6 mile. I don't like looking at that!

Exam tomorrow as best get down to some work!

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Dustin, RFJ, well done on the XC yesterday - sounds great!

alehouse, lol, is WAVA the age-grade thing?  72.68% for yesterday I think - what a great way to compare performances - will mine get better when I turn 44 in March?  

Nice going over the 17 miles this morning LMH.

Dibs, I rarely run without a watch but always enjoy leaving it at home.  I'm too focussed on facts and figures whilst running but it keeps my mind off the pain! 

12 miles this morning, worked very hard on the hills and my overall pace increased due to that - 89:22 in total, a good run.

Lyrics, yup. image

• goodluck with the exam, dibs

well done RFJ

Nice 17 LMH

It does sound like a very good run, Don image

Survived my 20 but boy, did it hurt towards the end :-/ Those hills really did me in. Very glad tomorrow is a rest day coz I desperately need it!!
  • Lyrics, easy.
    Happy birthday to Ale's twins.
    Well done on racing Ale and NZC, both sounded to be tough in their own ways.
    Nice steady 17 LMH, I'm jealous.

Training, not easy. In fact, not any.
    Tickly chesty cough thankfully left me alone last night and I slept like a log. But I've felt sluggish all day, especially now. I've decided not to go swimming. My running is canned because my calf siezes after 3 miles. My biking started to tell me that my knee was not happy. Do I sound like a whinger? Yes? I'm not after sympathy, I'd just like my health and some sunshine.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Just back from doing 90 mins as planned, hard work after yesterday, but its done (11.56m)

Take care

• Yes, hope the exam goes well Dibs. My long runs are over a minute a mile slower than my HM pace - keep the faith!

Blisters - have you tried adjusting your saddle so that the knee will let you ride?

You've been putting in a lot of miles and a lot of quality sessions chickadee, enjoy the rest day.

Good running Donald.

Hope you get many more shifts/taken on then birks.

• Good long runs  LM.H, Chickadee, Dibs, Donald, RFJ image

• Evening

What aborted LSR

Why not feeling great

Lyrics think so

Set out for 20+ but didn't feel right so came home before I got too far from home. Ended up with 7 plus a bit of walking.

• What did you decide on then OH?

Hope you feel better tomorrow postie.

• Thanks for the luck guys, they Uni sure know how to punch it to us with an job deciding national exam and finals results in one week!

LMH- Yea, patience with my long run times is going to be the hardest I think. I could have carried on today which is a positive for me to take away.

Postie- feel better soon!

Blisters- I hope you feel better soon as well! I wish for sun shine with every ounce of my being! 

On a positive note... The cricket!! I love being an Aus (sorry guys!)

• PP I had similar on 30 December - best to listen to our bodies.

(LM.H) Had a windy cool walk up Marwick Head with Elspeth.

dibs - I still remember that day - disbelief and euphoria ( degree results that is, not cricket!)

• Evening!

Cricket: I have just changed nationality. Some will know that I have a name that might get away with it.

What: 2k
    Why: listening to my body...slightly niggly ankle, and glad that I had time constraints from the 6190s! And patience is a virtue!

I looked back at the training record from this time last year: was just about able to run a few yards, or was it metres, post Achilles op. With patience and consistent consistency have come a fair way since then...but a long way to go yet.

Great long running from those who were able!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

That's cheating Sheliaimage

• RFJ: all is fair in love and war. And cricket is both! How did Jnr get on at the xc?

• goddai ale!

one guy at our school went to Tasmania for a year coming back just after the infamous Monty Python Aussie sketch. He was instantly renamed and to my knowledge still answers to his adopted name to this dayimage

• More of a rout than all out war image

• To be an Aussie convert 101

1.) We never have an never will put shrimp on the barbie

2.) sausages are always called 'snaggers'

3.) Never heard of Fosters in my life and an Aussie wouldn't be caught drinking it. Emu Bitter all the way.

4.) if it moves, is hairy, has teeth or no legs- Don't touch it

5.) Soccer is soccer, Football is AFL (best sport in the world)

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Long runs - build slowly and think HMP or MP plus 90-120 seconds Initially the long run is about building the engine so build it don't stress it.

I ran 6 miles at over 9mm this evening, anyone who knows my half or mara PB will know that is rather slow for me.

Base in the place

What: CX race

6 miles at 9.06 pace

Why: It's how I roll

Last hard: CX today

Last rest: 30th Dec

Lyrics: Oh YEAH
  • OKOKOKOK

County vets xc. 6k raced in a stormy muddy field - great bit of fun!!! Finished 9th. Feeling better about running now - had a few jars tonight!!!

Up early in the morning for swim!!!

Gobi - progress is the name of the game. You've got the pedigree - it comes back!!! woof woof!!

Ale - don't mind that auld cricket stuff - silly game!!

When I lived in England I got shit for calling soccer soccer - we all know football is GAA!!!