Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, do you run to the station and then get on the train in your running gear?  Not sure I'd ever attempt that.  Particularly in my ladies' kit.

Samir has probably taken a few too many blows to the head in his boxing career.  He's actually pretty good, so it's a shame he's such a tool.

• I bet you lot weren't obnoxious at all as teenage boys, right? image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

In all honesty Lit, no, not really.  I had plenty of problems, but excessive levels of self-esteem certainly wasn't one of them.

• Lit - I'm still obnoxious image but I respect my peers and love to receive help and advice from anyone! Knowledge is Power!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ditto!

Yes Dachs - I certainly get some odd looks on a cold day, especially when I am caked in gloopy wet mud and pretty pongy like this morning! I usually get a seat to myself mind image (I'm do put newspaper down on the seat before I sit on it though to be fair!).

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i was probably worse at his age....despite my youthful arrogance i never thought i would break a world record in an event that i hadnt even run a half in sub 80.  But  i did think i would probably sleep with at least 1 of the spice girls (sporty was excluded though)  so swings and roundabouts image

• It's still not too late, Dean.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yeah it is, he's got more self-respect these days image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, by my calculations you would have been about 23 when the Spice Girls appeared, so theres even less excuse.

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

But  i did think i would probably sleep with at least 1 of the spice girls (sporty was excluded though)  so swings and roundabouts image

Oooo, can we switch from famous runners I've raced to Spice Girls I've slept with? Scary Spice lives locally and we have bumped into her a few times, most often in the playgrounds: her eldest,  Phoenix Chi Gulzar, and my son were born 1 day apart so we tended to hang about in the same places. Guess that isn't really sleeping with her is it?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I'm not saying I didn't try, I'm just saying I got knocked back by 2 of them, and I was doing alright with another when David bloody beckham turned up and blocked me. Nice lad though, always stood his round at the bar.  After that I lost some confidence so only tried it on with 2/3rds of eternal.   

*some or all of the above statement might contain exaggeration or be completely fabricated.

• Haha, you lot are mad!!image

8m for me tonight... 15min easy (08:20), 20min at 06:40, 15min easy. 10min @ 07:19. Tough. Sat between 90-95% of my maxHR throughout the tempo. 20min on the bike to spin the legs out.

Rest of the week (posting Stevie g style) looks like this..

W: strength session

T: club session

F: 4m + 1h swim

S: 8m (15min wu; 5 x 2min @ 10k pace off 60s jr; cool down)

S: Rest

ffeedback welcome! image

• Nikki, to me that looks sensible, with the possible exception of swapping Sat and Sun but often things interfere with running at weekends. Up and down the country, there are hundreds of athletes doing club sessions Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday (or race Sunday) and the reason is hard, easy, hard, easy: never (well there are exceptions of course) back a hard run with another hard run.

I feel I'm a lot older than the thread in general, Pan's People did it for me.

• Phil I'm with you though Hot Gossip were hot on their tales and sexier!!

• Tails of course then in 90's became a Kylie fan 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

8 mile for me with 5 in the middle at tempo. Came out at sub 27.30 for the 5 so pleased with that. Felt bloody hard though towards the end. I then tried a bit of core strengthening and finished up with a stomach feeling like it hadn't been fed for a week and someone had jumped all over it. image 

going to try KM reps on Thursday at the track and may do a Parkrun on Saturday. I just need to find my Italian top. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It was all about Smurfette and Penelope Pitstop when I was a lad. Those animated temptresses!

Also the girl from The Borrowers.

Oh, sorry, just remembered that this isn't Group. Err... Um... 5 and 4 easy today. Anyone doing Tadley XC on Sunday?

• You forgot Daphne out of Scooby Doo, Dachs.

Nikki, are you still planning to do that half on 1 March? If so, if it was me I'd want a longer run than 8 miles in there somewhere.

• 1hr on the bike at the hotel gym. No Spaetzle on the menu tonight, Made do with a Jagerschnitzel and a weissbeer.

I always liked Cheetara in Thundercats. Phew!

I'm doing Tadley at the weekend. I think it's the last few XC that have trashed my feet in spikes. I'll run in XC trainers and be slower than usual.

Rumour has it we don't need to wear club kit for this XC, just something warm.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nikki, Lit's spotted the big miss from that week, the long run is essential to any half marathon build up!

And that 10k session on Sunday looks incredibly light! Did you type it right? 10mins in total at 10k pace? Perhaps 1.6miles or so at 10k pace with recoveries!?  Where did it come from!?

Much more likely you'd do a 5/6 x1k at 10k pace if you want a lighter session, and perhaps an 8x1k when you're peaking for a 10k race. In my time being coached, and looking after Lit and Skinny I've found that the reps you produce in that 8x1k session is a terrific guide to what you'll be able to produce in a 10k race.

I've noticed you do it before, but how did you work the mileage out to 8miles as well?

15mins (in my humble opinion too little for a warm up) will barely be 2miles, the reps will be about 1.6miles, jog recoveries perhaps 0.2miles, leaving a 4mile cool down!? Too much!

• Are spikes meant to destroy your feet? I've only raced in mine once and they were fine. Might be because we were essentially just wading through mud though.

• Thanks for the feedback guys... So promptly as well!

I am away with at a training camp work this weekend in Newcastle and hence on Long Run. Absolutely no chance of fitting it in... I know that sounds ridiculous and I tend to snear at people who come on here and say they can't make the time... I am someone that frequently gets up at 5am to run/probably takes a slightly too long lunch break/maybe leaves work a tad to early in order to train but I know this weekend it just won't be possible. And I also am trying to be sensible and put work first in terms of, I need to be massively on my game on Sunday, and I can't afford to be tired, so I really need to take a rest day. On Saturday, I will be training when the team I work with is training meaning I need to be on site I.e. I'll be running laps of the pitch their training on.

SG - I think I might have looked at the garmin schedule wrong too. I'll need to check it when I've got my laptop out... I'd imagine there's something like a 10min tempo chucked in there as i was thinking that's a bit of an easy one. I get the 8m off my garmin. And yessss, nail on the head... I tend to bang in an extended cool down in order to make up the mileage/time image. Tends to be at least 3m...

Spikes - my feet def hurt more after running in them!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

no need to explain yourself to us, you do too much if anything, not too little!!

One things for sure, if you try and do such a light session, those reps will come out nowhere near 10k time, probably nearer 3k or something!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    In 1994 the Spice Girls actually all lived together in Maidenhead in the house next door to my mates. One of them went out with Scary for quite a while back then, until she dumped him when they hit the big time. Sold his story to The Sun and had the front page framed and hung on his wall for years afterwards. Got paid handsomely for it back then too.

Oh yeah, running. Still not done any.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Shame Johnas, but then with stories like that up your sleeve, it's maybe not that important image

Nikki - sometimes work and life just has to come first.  Slot a long run in early next week and you'll be fine. Jeez, we were all telling you off for doing too much before now you are being told it's not enough! 

Hot Gossip for me , oh , and Michaela Strachan on Wide Awake Club image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Fortunately I can now run a bit, with no significant adverse effects. This will do for now. For those who are interested, in 12 weeks I've gained 7kg and slowed around 2 minutes a mileimage.

Ok, I guess while in NZ I might have over done the booze; a litre of gin lasted me about a week on top of the beers. All stopped now, and the junk food, and anything with refined sugar. Time to start again.

Here's something from a newspaper in NZ. 

/members/images/493151/Gallery/SPECIAL_EDt.png

They've a way of putting things over there.

Now that I've slept on it, I'm amused by the references to good looking women. Bearing in mind that on this subject Johnas is a professional, I can hardly believe that the most stunning women I saw all the way to NZ and back was the one in my own extended family. A promising netball player, a sport big in NZ.

Six foot one plus in her socks, the last time a women had to lean down to kiss me goodbye was when I was about six years old. I have a picture here, but will wait on opinions on whether to post.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey Ric - 7kg? Puts my 1.5 kilo gain post Abo in perspective! Must be time for us to have a head to head then image. Mind you, I bet you are still skinny as a rake image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric - if you're looking for opinions, mine is that you probably shouldn't post a picture of a female family member on the internet so that her looks can be judged by a bunch of blokes.

I feel that I should point out that my love of the specific cartoon characters I mention was mainly before I hit 11.  Things got a little more normal after that.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, despite Dachs' ultra jokerman style on here, in the flesh he's one of the most sensible blokes I've ever met, and his advice above is from that side of him.

Definitely doesn't sound sensible to be posting photos of relatives and asking random blokes to rate her!!  Even Phil stops short of that sort of behaviour.

Back on track this week (i think) after last week's cold affected sessions.

2x2.5m HMP, off 90.

Averaged 5.48 pace on both

zone is 5.45-5.50
    pb is 5.46
    last half was 5.52

so probably around where i should be.

The last half mile did perk things up a bit average wise, unusually for me  each rep didn't start too fast.

At the time I was thinking I wasn't hitting the pace I needed, but in hindsight looking at all the figures it's not a bad run out at all.

I used to get surprised that the incline would show the sharpest pace of the rep, but thinking about it that's obvious as that's the straight, smooth, obstacle free part of the loop. The flat and slight descent have turns, less smooth path, and havea  number of drives/petrol station openings to avoid! Twicetoday, I had to slightly slow to go round cars, and I suppose that adds up a little!

• Dachs wrote (see)

Anyone doing Tadley XC on Sunday?

Yep. I'm compiling the Datchet list of excuses for SG and we are up to 3 broken bones, one hernia, a broken fingernail, 3 people have to wash their hair, 2 don't like mud, 3 are running a marathon "sometime in 2014" and one wants his Mummy.

Stevie G wrote (see)

Even Phil stops short of that sort of behaviour.

Oh dear, need to reset expectations. I so knew I should have posted Baby Spice wearing nothing more than a smile.