rules on bone conduction headphones

Edinburgh will be my first attempt at marathon distance and yes iam already a bit uptight about it! There's one big thing that is preoccupying me...music. Yes I know the debate on MP3's and running events ,but for me music is essential to the extent when I've occasionally run out of battery I've literally stopped and walked home! I have invested in some bone conduction headphones which are fantastic and  do not fit in the ear so technically will not break the rules. However, I want to be sure that they don't break the rules and so far I've had no response from the Q+A page of the event. I can hear everything around me so I can't see a problem myself. Has anyone else explored the rules on these things?

Comments

• They will be against the rules.

HTFU - if a lion chased you - would you bung the ipod on and scroll through for a fast beat track ?

Its really not that difficult to do.
  • If it ain't stipulated in the rules of the event then it's legal to use them. So go ahead and use them. 

Some people might think you a weak, feeble minded person for walking because your MP3 ran out. But not me.

• Oh I see you think that you can get away with headphones because they do not fit in the ear? Yes of course they come under a stipulated ban. I thought you meant it doesn't state that headphones are banned. I'm sure you will just do what you like, like most people do anyway. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Music is not essential. Why enter the race if you can't comply with the rules?
  • hmm well I thought runners were a nice friendly bunch of chilled folk who did it for pleasure.. and might kindly answer a query. I guess i was wrong! I apologise for enjoying running only when I have a soundtrack and that when I'm not enjoying it  (ie no music I opt to stop) I think the rules say that something in your ears is the issue and merely wanted clarification. Whatever, won't bother with forums again, full of mean people...

• The forums are for people who want a discussion. Seems you are confusing not agreeing with you with being mean. 

• My opinion is that headphone should NOT be banned but clearly you were looking for some loophole in the rules that wasn't there. And by saying music is ESSENTIAL to running was a little overstated. Maybe YOU feel it's hard to run without it but in no way is music essential to running.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I don't think any one was being mean they were just giving an answer to the question you posed.

The headphone issue is always a heated one so don't be suprised when people give you their own view on it.

Most runners are friendly people and because of that they like to respect the rules set out by the race director / organiser.
  • Joanne - no one is being mean, but the debate about earphones etc is an old and much disagreed about one.

The main issue is that people using music devices in a race are putting themselves, but more importantly the people around them, at risk.  Most of us have seen runners with headphones in during a race who are unable to move out of the way of an emergency vehicle because they can't hear it.  I'm sure the person/people waiting for that emergency vehicle are going to be thrilled that it took longer because someone who was flouting the rules did not get out of the way quickly enough.

For what it's worth, I agree with Millsy - if you can't or won't comply with the rules, then why are you entering?

• didn't want agreement just a knowledgable person to say either, no even though they do not go in your ears they are against the rules...in which case I won't use them, or yes the rule says a device which goes in the ear...in which case I will. Running for me is not enjoyable without music...i wasn't suggesting that everyone feels that way.  sigh

• Joanne, I think if you want clarification of the race rules you'll need to contact the race director. All anyone else can give you is an opinion about how they would interpret the rules.

• Okay I'm knowledgeable in that I read the rules. They say no MP3 players or devices plugged into the ear. They are trying to cover all bases but essentially it's a ban on personal audio devices which they feel should not be used in the race. To me it is very clear that that includes your headphones. Sorry if that isn't the answer you want but to say anything else would be a mean old lie.

• OK lets give you a different spin on the answer!

I used to be the same and really NEED the music to keep me going. After I looked into the rules of my first marathon I found out that I couldnt use it and was disappointed but figured I had about 6 months to get used to it. Just start weaning yourself off of it by not taking it with you say, every other run.

The positive sides of not running with music is that you start you really pay attention to how you are running. My technique vastly improved once I stopped listening to music and really helped with the injuries I seemed to pick up all the time.

Now I only use music as a cadence training tool or on ultra marathons for a little bit as a "pain killer" image 

• I think most of us have steered clear of that argument B2B. I think she wanted rule clarification. The good news for Joanne is that it is unlikely that anyone will do anything at all if she goes ahead and wears them anyway. They certainly don't at Brighton. Anybody done Edinburgh and know any different?

• I agree you are a bit uptight about it Joanne - but no need to call us mean.

If running isn't enjoyable without music - then you're not going to like the marathon much.

But trust us - you could run without music.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

They did DQ someone at Abingdon.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

joanne wilkinson 4 wrote (see)

hmm well I thought runners were a nice friendly bunch of chilled folk who did it for pleasure.. and might kindly answer a query. ...

So this is your first post then eh? image

• Yet again someone who doesn't really like running, forcing themselves to run. Not being mean, but why don't these people find a sport they actually like? Baffling.

• Fine if we are just going on fact...    

• Can I wear my MP3 player? 
      This event is run under Scottish Athletics rules and therefore MP3 players or other devices plugged into the ear are not permitted whilst running for reasons of health & safety, both yours and other competitors. When you wear such a device you are unable to hear other competitors, cars, bicycles or marshals instructions

I would read this as anything distracting you from audible instructions should not be taken to this event 

• it is an mp3 player devise so the answer is a clear no...........

so you have the choice of forgetting the marathon and just running for your own pleasure,

learning to run without using your own brain and the environment to stimulate you....

or find a different sport that you do enjoy...

good luck

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    The Grinch wrote (see)

Okay I'm knowledgeable in that I read the rules. They say no MP3 players or devices plugged into the ear. They are trying to cover all bases but essentially it's a ban on personal audio devices which they feel should not be used in the race. To me it is very clear that that includes your headphones. Sorry if that isn't the answer you want but to say anything else would be a mean old lie.

Assuming that Joanne's headphones don't plug into her ears then it isn't clear at all...  It's simply you making an assumption...

• I read it as MP3 players are banned. As are other devices plugged into the ear.

Its not stated that MP3 players that plug into the ear are banned - just all MP3 players.

Joanne - can you run with a ghetto blaster on your shoulder ? Bronx stylee ?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'd email Edinburgh marathon and ask them. Simps image

Just one thing though Joanne.  Imagine you get to mile 22 of the marathon and something happens to your music.  Will you stop and walk, or carry on?  I bet you'll carry on.  You probably don't need music as much as you think you do. image

• MP3 OR devices plugged into the ears. It would indeed be an assumption that they also mean that a CD player with bone whatever headphones are also covered in this. A logical, reasonable assumption. Do organisers have to write half a page for every rule so that some pedantic twat doesn't come along and say " oh, that's not clear at all"

• ...though if they say 'mp3 or other devices plugged into the ears' that could be read as implying that they think all mp3s are plugged into the ears.

I'd say it's probably still a no, though.

• Sadly Joanne the only people that will be able to answer this with ceretainty are the race organisers as the rules arent all that clear.  As Cougie states you could run with a ghetto blaster and still be in accordance with them.

Likewise if you want to go full pedant on them you could record your music in something other than mp3 format, use bone conducting headphones and be fully compliant.  Maybe an old school walkman with a tape??!!

Im doing Edinburgh too so hopefully will see you there (although if you have headphones on I will tut as I overtake you.... or you overtake me which is more likely image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    sub60just wrote (see)

Sadly Joanne the only people that will be able to answer this with ceretainty are the race organisers as the rules arent all that clear.

i disagree.

they seem perfectly clear to me.

• Perfectly clear to me too.