Ironman 70.3 UK 2014

Hi all, first post so please be gentleimage

I've just signed up to do my first triathlon, and thought there's no point mucking about so I was going to go for Bolton but decided a 70.3 may be a more realistic starting point.

Just wondered if there are any other newbies that have signed up too? Would be good to keep track of training and share plans etc!

Apart from that, if anyone had any specific advice for this event it would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• by the way... what's this pirate business all about?

• just a bunch of people who wear yellow and black lycra, do triathlon races (especially Ironman), take the piss out of each other, and down a few pints after races!

Seriously, you get great support when wearing the Pirate gear and it's helped many to reach the end of a race when it seemed to be all going a bit pear-shaped. Lots of help available on here.

• Paid up Schmunks - thanks for everything image

• Sumo... Bloody phone autocorrect. 

Don't seem to be able to edit or quote any more?

• Sorry guys image was looking at this thread and talking at the same time.

• Hi Purple Banana

Wimbleball is a great place to start but you have to like hills or be prepared to train on them. Bike course is a toughie. Haddon Hill hurts - a lot, especially second time. Run is also tough. Do some off road running if you can and add some short sharp hill efforts.

At least the waters quite flat image

• Thanks Iron wolf, that sounds like an excellent set up! Are there many of you? Do you have to complete an ironman to call yourself a pirate?

@ Wabby - thanks for the tips, I had heard that wimbleball had a few hills, it was only after signing up that I found out it's considered one of the hardest 70.3's! Ah well, it's cheaper than going abroadimage

Does anyone have a link to  a GXP file for the course?

• muchas gracias! That is perfect.

I hope it's not going to push my luck asking a few numpty questions... just throw stuff as and when necessary.

I get that it's a "clean" transition, and everything for the next stage must be put in a coloured bag with your number on. I assume the items from the stage you have just finished go into the bag you have just collected, i.e. wetsuit into bag that had your cycling kit? What do you do with the bag then, and how do you get it back?

Also i'm really confused about the bike to run transition - on videos it looks like a helper just takes the bike off you. What happens to it then and how do you get it back?

All the races I've done so far you put all your gear in a box next to your bike between each stage, and you put the bike back on the rack yourself when you've finished hence the confusion!

• You'll get 3 bag's. Red, blue and white and each will be marked. You just have to stick your number on them. On Saturday you will have to put all your bike stuff in the bike bag and all the run stuff in the run bag and take them to transition where you have to hang them up on a numbered peg. On Sunday you drop the 3rd bag off with all your dry and warm kit for the finish.

Once you run up from the water you collect your bike kit and leave your wetsuit in the bag. The helpers will hang it up for you. They don't take the bike off you any more. You have to put it back on it's numbered rail. When you cross the finish line you get your medal and have your photo taken. Then you just collect your dry kit.

At a set time they will allow you back in transition to collect everything else including your bike.

Simples image

• Hi all

I entered UK IronMan 70.3 some time ago (for 2014) having done the Virgin London one a couple of times (2:52 and 2:42), so thought it was time to make a step up in distance terms.  Hoping to go under 6 hours (40 minutes, 5 minutes, 3:10, 5 minutes, 1:50 and 10 minutes as a buffer), but we shall see.

Currently in training for the Barcelona marathon (16th March) so while I am swimming and cycling as part of general fitness and also to avoid over training on the running, I will be triathlon training in anger from 1 April.

One of my colleagues did Wimbleball a few years ago and suggested that I was crazy, but hopefully if I make it round this then everything else will be easier by comparision

Matt

• You'll be fine Matt and 6 hours is a cracking time for UKIM 70.3

Any other Pirates camping on site? I am all booked up for the Friday / Saturday and Sunday

• Wabby by thanks for you routes, bag clarification, and need to rack your bike.

first ironman 70.3 using it to work out the ironman circus and way of doing things as prep for ironman UK. 

Good job I've got some hills near me, better stop avoiding them on bike ! Do go off road on the hills each week.

what terrain is run ? Mixed, muddy, gravel, rock, road ?? 

• I marshalled last year, it was a bit nippy on the bike, it was a drizzly day with a cold wind, it's a hilly bike course and was very cold and slippy on the descents, a few dropped out due to cold and a couple came off the bikes in the wet, so remember to pack some good gloves and at the very least some arm warmers, I would pack a wind proof top too. Best of luck to all racing.

I'll be marshalling again this year, I'll have a Pirate cap and jelly babies image

• Thanks JPGoodboy - can you select yellow and black Jelly Babies exclusively for Pirates ?!

See you on the course side.

• From memory the run was a mix of roads and narrower tracks in the mid section of the loop with a nice section in a bit of shade around there as well.  Found the bike loop there pretty hard to be honest due all my training at the time being on the flats.  Gloves are an excellent idea and I would also recommend camping at the venue.

• Pirate Jelly babies, that's a great idea, I'll ask the list fairy image

• I did it last year - great atmosphere despite the cold and wet - definitely take gloves. I saw several people put tights on in transition as well as rain jackets etc..

The bike is hilly, with some of the hills being on narrow roads so you need to be aware of other cyclists suddenly stopping/falling off. 

The run is a mixture of roads, grass and dirt tracks - there are a few hills but also a decent flat section over the bridge.

Great race and certainly one to do - I chickened out with the camping though and stopped at the local Premier Inn, the sauna and spa after the race was great as was the early morning breakfast on race day.

Enjoy it ...

• I'm in the same boat as you, purple banana. Entered and started training but unsure of the format/transitions etc. Looking forward to it though.

• Anthony

It's a fair run, walk, slip from the swim up to the bike transition, watch out for the tree roots. Also, the bike starts on a narrow hilly road so make sure you're in the right gear.

Other than that it's a tough course but with a great atmosphere and sense of achievement at the finish.

I've emailed you about Premier Inn image

• what Sue says, leave that bike in a very low gear and settle in,

• Are you doing it again this year citizen?

• unfortunately not, I have a schedule clash, but am going to put it back on the calender for 2015 as it's such a great race and perfect training for the full distance, have fun!

• i have applied to help out for the day. Went down last year and watched the brother in law and it was a great day with great support. Want to go longer next year so thought id help out this year and get a better feel for it.

Cant wait

• Thats what I did Bristolsparks, it was great fun marshaling and you get a feel for the course and the effort involved, and you get fed! image

I'll see you there image

• Maybe a daft question...if I have to drop off my bags the day before that means taking all my drinks, food etc the day before....I was going to make a fresh sandwich for the bikeimage

• JP - i have asked for the bike section but i guess will find out nearer the time where i go.

Im going to camp in the farm next to the lake as i know the owner and get it free so will only be 5 minutes away.

• Molly, it's only daft if you don't ask the question!

You have access to your bike on the Sunday so any food/drink can be added then.  Can't remember, but I don't think you had access to the bags on the Sunday but there were helpers there who would put things in it for you.

• Bristolsparks-

Last year I started off in the time car "spotting" for the driver basically just looking out the back window and saying "here they come" for one lap of the bike course, I was then turfed out a tight bend on the bike course and had to warn the bikers to slow down for the corner, I stood with a race official who was making sure nobody overtook on the bends or dropped litter etc, we had a laugh at some of the comments coming from the frozen cyclists, I then jumped in the sweeper van to help with the awful job of letting people know they had missed the cut off on ther bike (horrible job) then I jumped in the finnishers tent to help out dishing the transition bags back to the happy finnishers, I had a go at helping taking the time chips off the finnishers but was crap at it so moved on.

Its a really relaxed atmosphere with the volunteers and everyone was really nice so you pretty much do as you please as long as all bases are covered.

Molly- as long as you have your race numbers on you you can get into transition on the day to sort your food etc, last year lots of people were checking there bikes and kit over, one chap was faffing a bit he practically got frog-marched to the lake with minutes to spare image