Sub 3h15

Comments

• Minni - yes, I'm on Jantastic, but shamefully I deserted you all in favour of my club's team (well I was encouraging them all to sign up, so I had to really).

Ant - I had a look at the seafront but it's really busy and bits of it are quite narrow with steps etc, and to be honest I think it would be dangerous trying to run through it at any pace at all what with all the random tourists.

I was going to go walkies round town today to try to help loosen things up, but it's been peeing down all day so far and I didn't bring suitable clothes for really wet weather. My mum would be ashamed of me.

• Gul, looks like a decent plan. We all have our biases towards different ways of training, so my ramblings are:

Mileage - that is a decent level and should give you a good shot on race day. Also seems well spread throughout the week.
    Intensity - I assume the majority of the miles will come from easy running (good). Is there a mix of paces in there to prod parts of psysiology that easy runs don't quite  reach. I've tended to regard threshold pace pretty highly and included a few threshold sessions when I made up my running last year. So I would say ...
    Balance is skewed a little on the cautious side. I'm keen on mixing it up for both physiological reasons as well as breaking some of the monotony.
    Consistency - I think you nailed that (I think that is what they say in  X factor). That has been my downfall in my home spun plans
    Recovery - looks well covered

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

Minni - yes, I'm on Jantastic, but shamefully I deserted you all in favour of my club's team (well I was encouraging them all to sign up, so I had to really).

In that case I'd not worry about doing much running while on holiday. image

Miss Minni has her first Uni interview in the morning so off for an overnight stay tonight and an interval session in the morning while she's there.  So excited to be running in the light again.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Wow Gul - that's already very detailed.  Obviously you know yourself and feel confident in what you can do and have designed the plan to avoid injury.  Also remember that your recent HM success came of the back of a lot of speedwork.  Personally that would be too many LSR for me and I would rather substitute a few of those with 13 with 8@MP or 15 with 10@MP or a straight MLR.  Also I think the classic 'lactate threshold' pace run is effective with 8-9miles with 5 at LT pace and I would probably substitute that for a few of the 11@MP+5%.  The cut-back week are good to give you a bit of recovery.  Anyway most important is that you monitor yourself and adapt the plan if you feel over-tired, at the edge of injury or getting too slow.

Gym session for me this lunchtime.  Did 4x10 deadlifts to start and moved to the squat which gave me pain in my hip.  After that no power/strength work was comfortable so I spent 40 minutes on balance, foam roller and stretching.  Hopefully nothing that a foam roller can't cure

• Also-ran wrote (see)

PMJ "I found out that I can manage a lot of miles if they are not too long" - come on, your just cheating yourself image

So I mean a 15 and a 5 is harder than a 10 and a 10. All miles are not equal, the further you run, the more damage a mile does. A lot of P&D is about backing up the long run with the medium run so you get the experience of running further but hopefully do less damage.

• I think PMJ is actually running kms.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - I think I was supposed to aim MP and HMP y'day, so was about the right area. Maybe a bit slower but then I'm a better runner with a number on and hard running isnt easy at 6am..............I laso noted you comment that you do jogs on your non running days (and should you log them on Jantastic).......would these jogs be extra runs ?....would they be 20M ?  

SJ - success come from consistency eh ? who'd have thought it !

Gul - look nicely balanced, with a good mix of distances, but has a 20, 14 and 11, so good endurance. If you have the beans sometimes then make the 4 and 6 a bit longer, 8M easy would be great.

• Good to be back, thanks for the hellos!

Abbers - I'm south of Winchester (Otterbourne) actually so get train in from Eastleigh. With the run before the train and the bit after Waterloo it's just a bit over 2hours door to door (depending in how much I run). I'm getting used to it now.

I'm all signed up for a bit of consistent consistency over the next month then - go team. Although I wish I'd thought about the numbers of runs a bit before I rather flippantly said 8... If I'd put 4 or 5 I would hope is be consistently over achieving...

From my brief read back in an attempt to catch up it seems there is some good mileage being logged already and most of you seem way ahead of me currently... But I haven't yet come across this years "list" yet so not sure what people are aiming for.

I'm assuming most are looking at VLM? Anyone joining me down in Brighton?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

I think this is the last version of the list - feel free to update, but beware the spacing & punctuation police...

Jan 19 - Brass Monkey - Minni - 1:29.xx 
    Feb 2 - Kaiser HM - MsE first race post-injury
    Mar 16 Barcelona - Barry B sub 3:15 
    Mar 29 - Eco Trail de Paris 80Km - SJ - uninjured completion
    Apr 6 – Paris mara – Mennania – Sub 3
    Apr 6 – Manchester mara – knight rider – Sub 3
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15
    May 31 - Stockholm - SJ - sub 3:15 with match retention
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning
    July - Minni - Thunder Run - winning ladies team
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx
    October 26 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

There are no guarantees in the marathon, don't we just know that from bitter experience, but one thing you can almost say for certain is that Gul's next outing will record a PB in the region of HOURS not minutes.  More power to that man.

• Jan 19 - Brass Monkey - Minni - 1:29.xx 
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA

Jun 1 - Walled city marathon- Leslie H

I hope I haven't upset the punctuation Police image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Xpost, not a critique of Leslie's WP skills...

When amending, it's better to cut'n'paste than use the QUOTE button.

Shift + rtn avoids double spacing and makes things more compact (on Mac anyway, same on Windows?)

Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H - Sub 3:15

I think I got it sorted now image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Gold star!  image

• Cheers image Bit icy this morn after work so had to drive a mile to a less icy bit to get started and then with a few detours cranked out a 10 miler .

• TR wrote (see)

AR - I think I was supposed to aim MP and HMP y'day, so was about the right area. Maybe a bit slower but then I'm a better runner with a number on and hard running isnt easy at 6am..............I laso noted you comment that you do jogs on your non running days (and should you log them on Jantastic).......would these jogs be extra runs ?....would they be 20M ?  

image Holding steadfast on the long runs to the extent that I have had no long runs. I've had the occasional 4M jog on a rest day, but certainly not during Jantastic as I heard Minni is ruthless in culling wayward team members.

Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oh good the list.  Will update when I'm on a computer tomorrow.  

Dont like the way this has reappeared with my name at the top! image 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    If you don't like the heat.....
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Feb 2 - Kaiser HM - MsE first race post-injury, 10K Jersey - GM - sub 40
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

7.5 miles tonight avg 7:26, nice dry run with a few hills.

Feb 2 - Kaiser HM - MsE first race post-injury, 10K Jersey - GM - sub 40
    Mar 9 - Surrey Half - Lorenzo - 1:25.xx
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - sub 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles

• Mmm, me thinks futile to even attempt a list update from my phone! Will pop myself on there tomorrow but good to see the intentions of you good people, some good races and good times listed!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - I see you have a few events lined up for this year!image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Not racing in February after all. Playing safe, me. image

Feb 2 - 10K Jersey - GM - sub 40
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - sub 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Sorry was rather rude just jumping in there without saying hello.  Happy new year to you all and I hope you are having a good start to 2014.   I will read back when I get a spare minute but have been really busy with the kids, finding a new home as our lease ends this month and school stuff.  Add to that trying to come back from injury and fit in all that cross training we are meant to do so we can run, and there is not much time left really.  Since being in the US I have found being a tenant a very precarious situation and often wish we were back in the sanctuary of our own (jointly-owned with RBS) home.  

I shall read and lurk and wish you all continued happy injury-free running.  Speaking of which, if any of you are still battling niggles, I have found a fabulous chap who can help get to the bottom of what might be at fault. Bike It - I don't know if you have looked into this sort of thing but I bet you will find this of interest. He has a method called neurokinetic therapy and has trained people worldwide with lots in the UK, plenty in/around London.  If you think something is not working in your kinetic chain, I highly recommend you consider trying this out.  http://neurokinetictherapy.com/certified-practitioners

• Jools - good to see you've recovered from the lurgy.
    Ant - cracking MLR.
    FINgers - good to have you on board.
    GM - another good run.
    MsE - hi. Didn't even realise I had a kinetic chain.
    Thanks for all your comments, guys. Plenty of time to fine tune or take the hatchet to that plan yet.
    6 miles @ 8:52 m/m d&d.

• Welcome back FINgers and hello MsE!

• Easy saunter to the station this morning 3miles d&d.

8-10 miles at lunchtime planned. Later in the plan this 10 becomes a tempo/progression run but right now I fear it will just ba about getting round!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Greeting MsE- isn't it a little cold over there....

Feb 2 - 10K Jersey - GM - sub 40
    Feb 16 - Brighton Half - FINgers - TBC - Fitness Test
    Mar 2 - Reading Half - FINgers - TBC - Mid Long Run
    Apr 6 - Brighton Mara - FINgers - TBC

Hopefully I've not messed up the formatting too muchimage