Jan 19 - Brass Monkey - Minni - 1:29.xx
    Feb 2 - 10K Jersey - GM - sub 40
    Feb 16 – Wrexham Half – Mennania – 79.xx
    Mar 9 - Surrey Half - Lorenzo - 1:25.xx
    Mar 16 Barcelona - Barry B sub 3:15
    Mar 29 - Eco Trail de Paris 80Km - SJ - uninjured completion
    Apr 6 – Paris mara – Mennania – Sub 3
    Apr 6 – Manchester mara – knight rider – Sub 3
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - sub 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15
    May 31 - Stockholm - SJ - sub 3:15 with match retention
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning
    July - Minni - Thunder Run - winning ladies team
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx
    October 26 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3

• X post - hope nothings got lost

Jan 19 – Helsby Half –Mennania – sub 1.22
    Feb 16 - Brighton Half - FINgers - TBC - Fitness Test
    Mar 2 - Reading Half - FINgers - TBC - Mid Long Run
    Mar 9 - Surrey Half - Lorenzo - 1:25.xx
    Apr 6 - Brighton Mara - FINgers – TBC
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - sub 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles

• It seems right!

Had the second Part of the double (keeping up with Jantastic) which involves running over a bridge on the Dee and down the sides rerouted due to someone ending up in the drink. Closed bridge off as a crime scene and helicopters and boats everywhere. Not sure if they found them. Made for a sombre six miles.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Thought I'd add mine...

Mar 9 - Surrey Half - Lorenzo - 1:25.xx, Sporty Badger sub-1.30
    Apr 6 - Brighton Mara - FINgers – TBC - Sporty Badger sub-3.20

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Mar 9 - Milton Keynes Half - Abbers sub-1.30

GM - solid run.

Gul - nice slow 6 there.

FINgers - ah yes, just up the road from work (our office is in Chandler's Ford). We sometimes go to the Otter in our Friday pub rotation, and one of my lunchtime runs heads up that way. We also play Compton & Chandlers Ford in the summer, whose rather nice ground is close to Otterbourne. Nice spot image

• Abbers - The in-laws live in CF. We live 3 doors down from the Otter..... Nice spot indeed.

• 11.5M this morning @ 7:33mm. This follows 14 horrible miles yesterday, during and after which I thought my entire body was going to fall apart. I went to bed not really sure whether I was going to be able to get up in the morning, and yet out I went and felt great from the off, eased into the run and gradually picked up the pace, finishing at under 7mm. Now who can explain that? Or, as I believe the street vernacular has it, wtf?

Stay away from rivers and large bits of the USA, everybody...

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Sound great Ant - nice when it's comes easy.  NB1080v3 are now further reduced at Sweatshop to £50 - I just bought 2 pairs.

Thanks MsE for the link on neurokinetic stuff. I've been through a similar process before and in some regard I am still carrying it on.  Basically my engine is much better than the chassis and this is one reason I work on strength and balance.  Yesterdays event was because I deadlifted 10kg more than I normally do and I've given a muscle at my hip a bit of a strain.  Good news that I am getting stronger but it will take me a few days to fully get over it.

Bit sobering to see something like that Menn - puts things in perspective sometimes and make me thankful.

9 miles very easy at lunchtime

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:14:59, Lorenzo, Minni - sub 3:10, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Bike It  sub 8:20

• So, it’s a long time since I have been on here, I see a lot of familiar faces are still around (Ant, Minni, Poacher, Lorenzo, MsE, Jools, BOTF, PMJ et al) so hello!

Last time I was on here, was for the months of training before VLM 2011, with everybody’s help, and following P&D mostly, I just managed to dip under the tape for a 3:14:57, been ticking over since, approx. 10 miles a week, but mainly cycling to keep me fit.

Now back on it, been running approx. 40 miles a week for a few months and tentatively started P&D 55-70 plan in December and going for Brighton Mara, for sub 3/as close as I can get.

Sorry this post is all me, me, me, but will be all over the forum from now on!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Welcome back SteveC - a familiar name/face, although I only lurked here back then as I ran HMs rather than maras. Looks like a few from here tackling Brighton, so you won't be alone!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

One of those blissful runs Ant; why can't they all be like that?

BI - how's the hip after the 9 easy? Any reaction?

• 12 at lunchtime to bring up 54 or the week. Day off tomorrow and a XC race on Sunday which is supposed to be LT training, 9 miles with 5 at HMP. Reckon I'll be lucky if the 5 may are at HMP and am not sure about making it up to 9. 2 or 3 warm up is fine, but cool down or tea and cakes?

Next week P&D is a cut back week but I had two over Christmas and New Year so wil repeat this week which means Monday 18 miler after XC race.

• Welcome home Steve C & MsE image

Holiday run 3 this morning - back to the Parque Taoro, but this time I ran up the road round the hairpin bends rather than risking all the stairs. I overslept a bit (well I am on holiday) which meant by the time I got out there it was already 21 degrees, so not the most comfortable conditions. I also only had a single cup of tea before running, so a bit dehydrated as well. Anyway, I decided to do some reps round the park, and it turns out that the route I was using was actually 930m which was somewhat further than I'd thought, although if I'd had my Garmin on metric I would have done an extra 70m each lap to make it a km. I didn't time the recovery, just walked up and down slowly the same each time. Times were 3:48, 3:47, 3:46, 3:47, 3:48, 3:43 which is all low 6:30s per mile which will do. I probably should have done another 2, but it was really hot by now and I knew I had the hill to climb on the way back, so I left whilst I still had something left.

I may have found somewhere to do a long one on Sunday. Apparently there is a recreation area up in the Orotava Valley and I found reference to a 33km mountain bike route that was described as reasonably flat. I'm going to drive up there and take a look, and if it's ok I'll do an out & back of the desired distance (tbc once I see how I feel, what the weather is like etc).

• Sounds lovely BOTF!

Welcome back MsE and Steve, get yourselves into the Jantastic team if you haven't already. Minni will be gentle with you.

The list is looking impressive all of a sudden

GM, yes, I thought I'd apply a "go long or go home" ethos for the year although Stockholm is already a casualty due to an attack of sensiblenessness.

5 miles easy with an additional 10mins at HMP last night which came out at 6:30mm and felt very uncomfortable for the first 2 mins but was then very manageable and my HR came down during the session which is nice.

45 min spin /brick coming up followed by a swim.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - any idea which league you are in this summer yet, I saw some Hampshire League fixtures today on the league website.

My other quality session of the week is going to be some sort of reps or tempo, so today I did the PnD 9M with 4 at ~HMP.The 4 came in at 24:16 (so 6:04 av), although I'b bet it was a bit progressive if I had any data for it (not that I want any).

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Happy New year MsE, Fingers and Steve, welcome back.

I think I just started dipping my toes in this thread when you were posting Steve.

Some great training going on, nice back to back MLRs from Ant.

A tempo session for me tonight. 2wu, 4 tempo, 2wd, the fast bit

averaged about 6.20. Not really where I want to be but a lot better than last week so I'll take it.

Onwards.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

a humle 5 miler for me in man flu recovery mode. Parkrun tomorrow then Durham XC Sunday with junior OO (she bought some spikes today- pink for heavens sake). You seem to be going good moof and Ant...  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see
     if I had any data for it (not that I want any).

I bet you do really want it!

SteveC  - creator of fantastic spreadsheet, welcome back! 

OO - nowt wrong with pink spikes.

Intervals for me today in Albert Park, Middlesborough, while Miss Minni was having a 4.5 hour interview.  8 miles in total with 8 x 600m @ around 6:25 pace, which I'm happy with.

Off to log it on Jantastic and check no one is slacking. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Jan 19 - Brass Monkey - Minni - sub 1:30 
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:14:59, Lorenzo sub 3:10, Minni - 3:12, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Bike It  sub 8:20
    July - Thunder Run - Minni
    October - Yorkshire marathon - Minni TBC

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Thanks for asking Abbers. Hip no worse so basically I run easy until it gets a bit better.

4.5 hour interview seems a bit excessive Minni.

Good pacing TR

Hi SteveC
  • Bike It  - I really like the NB 1080v3s but I do find they work best for me in faster sessions; if I just go for a recovery run in them I notice my knees start complaining...I don't know if I'll get another pair or not. Maybe I will, they look so good...

PMJ - It's got to be the tea and cakes, surely?

Pacey/enviable tempo runs from TR and Moof.

Did I just see Minni asking TR if he wants it?

Welcome back Steve!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    The funniest entries in that list are from SJ - "uninjured completion" - "no crashes" - "no drowning". Dry understatement is what keeps us grounded

Can I add:

Parkrun - "careful now - don't get lost or hit the wall"
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

I have hit the wall in parkrun.  after 2K

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Me too! I've hit the wall in every distance except marathon!image 

• Oh well, no long run in the Orotavo Valley. No sign of any bike routes, just walking routes. The longest of the routes was just 13.2k but they said to allow 6 hours for it, which gives an idea of just how hilly it was - 1150m of climbing and descent! The only vaguely flat route was only 6.8k, made up of 5k flatish then down best part of 500m feet in 1.8k! Don't really fancy running up & down the 5k bit loads of times to make a long one though, so I guess it's back to Parque Taore on Sunday for another speed session of some description as I really don't fancy doing 30 laps of that either.

It was an interesting drive to get there though - only about 15k from the apartment, but probably half that as the crow flies as it's a proper mountain road with loads of hairpin bends all the way as the start is at about 1000m above sea level. Once we'd looked around we carried up upwards and ended up above the snow line at 2000m with some fantastic views of the snow-covered volcano and down to the coast. Enjoyed it so much we're going to do it again tomorrow but carry on round the island as well.

• BOTF - I've had a look for websites, fórums, blogs etc. about running in Tenerife, as people must run somewhere! Try these (you might have to use a translator): Here, and here.

They mention EL Camino de Las Peras in La Laguna, and the Parque de las Mesas in Los Campitos, Santa Cruz - this is a 40-minute circuit with ups and downs, but nothing like you've found, I shouldn't think!

Hope you find somewhere before you have to go back home...

• Apologies for the flying visit. Ran the planned 18 miles this morning in 2:39:06 (8:50 m/m?), but also had a planned and an unplanned stop. Firstly to load the washing machine for the third time and then let's just say the green tomato chilli got its revenge...

• Hi everyone!

I’m new to commenting on this forum although I have done a bit of lurking. I’m looking for a bit of practical advice, especially from fellow lady runners out there.

As you can probably guess from my user name, I don’t live in the UK. In fact, I only started running when I moved abroad, so I don’t have any experience of the UK running scene except for the few races I’ve competed in on visits to the UK. Hence all paces + distances are metric!

I have a marathon PB of 3.21 (Amsterdam, 2004) and HM 1.34.02 (2011). My most recent marathon result was 3.22 (Frankfurt, 2011). The past couple of years haven’t gone so well due to injury etc. nothing major just annoying niggles at crucial times. I also tend to mess up in races too. I’m a member of a running club, but most of the club runs aren’t really suitable for me.

My aim is to run a sub-3.15 marathon (3.14.59 would be fine!!). I’m now 47 yrs old. I usually run a min. of 60 km per week up to a max. of 100 km during the summer. I’ve followed various programmes of the years. Motivation for training is not a problem for me, but then I’m always disappointed with my race performance, i.e. hard training never seems to translate to faster times.

Here are my questions:

Am I too old to run a marathon PB?

If not, what would be a good programme to follow and how much should I be running per week?

What paces should I be running in training? I have used the Mcmillan calculator in the past, but if I haven’t run a race since last September, it’s hard to say what my current form is, i.e. what pace should I be running now and then what pace should I be running in order to achieve my goal?

I’d be grateful for any comments!

• Sounds like you were juggling a lot of things on your L.R Gul. Good LR though

My 8 was lengthened by a couple of miles due to flooding. A guy stopped to ask me if he could get his car through, as if expecting me to wade out to act as a yard stick. Told him to take the abandoned car as a sign.