Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Nikki - I think people only tell you it's too fast when you do it at 7:40! (something which may have been gently pointed out to me too. image)

• From my 5km Macmillan suggests 4:28 to 5:05/km (7:12 - 8:12/MI). When I set out to run easy I aim for no faster than 5/km.

My LSR is run at about 4:30. MacMillan suggests 4:30 to 5:16/km (7:15 - 8:30/mi).

Enjoy skiing Seb.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Seb - some of the downhill MTB routes around Alp D'Huez make most enjoyable hill running if you get a chance and the snow isn't too deep!

Johnas - somehow missed the elliptical trainer bit - 90 mins on that sounds pure torture, so mentally you are still in a good place!

Ian - my PBs are similar to yours. Long run pace depends on terrain and hilliness - off-road about 8:30, but on-road I generally aim for about 7:45 to 7:30, building to 7:00, ideally run as a progression, in the last couple of runs before a targeted half. I think more important than actual pace with these is running at a pace that feels reasonably comfortable.

• Thanks again for the advice everyone. It sounds like I need to up the pace slightly, sounds like I'm being a bit lazy!

Nikki - Being 10 metres off the back is nothing to be bothered about. You will soon improve and before you know it you will be at the front! It's quite normal at our club for the groups to be spread out. I've been at the back plenty myself.

• Thanks for the advice everyone, that's very helpful.

My 5k is also way off which is meant to be about 17:10 but is only 17:54. The training paces based on my half time look challenging but not impossible expect for the easy run pace which is really quick! The paces based on my 18:06 5k from Tuesday look too easy.

What sort of pace do you all do your easy runs? Most of mine are between 8 - 8:30/mile.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

It says the slowest my easy paced runs should be is 7.01, which I find I never break 7 mins. Haha. My steady state runs should be sub 6 miling too - like that's ever happened. image 

i think i must run at recovery pace on my easy days. That said I never run around a flat route. I seem to hit all the paces McMillan gives for the sessions. 

• Thanks Ian. I'm trying to bare that in mind. When I started at my previous club I was hanging off the back/completely unable to keep up, and by the end I was almost leading the girls... so hoping it'll be the same.

6m easy for me (8min/mile) this morning. Swim planned for lunch.

Unsure what session to do tomorrow morning. Had planned the 15min tempo + 5 x 2min @ 10km pace, but as the club session last night involved a tempo (making it 2 x 5km tempos this week) I'm not really sure another tempo is useful. Might give Stevie See's session above a shot... reckon that would be OK?!

• Matt - Yes he has some interesting paces!

Nikki - I would give the tempo a miss after doing it last night. I'm not sure what Stevie's session was but how about something like 6 x 3 minutes with 90 seconds recovery? A nice simple session and you can make it as hard as you like.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Ian – I’ve also got fairly similar race times to you, albeit my bias is for shorter distances rather than longer ones. Easy for me is usually between 7.30-8.15. I go completely by feel though and would happily run slower if particularly tired.

Nikki – You’ll probably find you can run much faster under those circumstances than you could do training on your own. It’s a good thing as long as you are careful not to end up racing your training runs.

I’ve had to miss a couple of days training this week with illness but hoping to get back on it with an easy run tonight. I’ve managed to sort myself an entry for the York half marathon a week on Sunday. I’m not expecting much as I’m not really in half shape but should be nice to run with no expectations. I’ve just got to tell my coach now who I’m sure isn’t going to approve image

• Nikki take a rest tomorrow and come and watch Bekele, Kiprop et al running the cross country in Holyrood Park. I've seen team US out training the last two mornings, they're impressive just running up the steps by the parly. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That'd be great to watch!

Just back from my longest run since Abo, and on a beautiful sunny morning to boot!

A fairly hilly 16M done and dusted. Not fast at average 7:35, but pleased to have got round. In fact, other than some recurring pain in the old injury sites at times, it actually felt quite comfortable.  I feel somewhat reassured that I haven't lost ALL that marathon endurance! Still an uphill struggle for a good time at Wokingham, but definitely a big step in the right direction.

2 x 14M on the bike yesterday as well, so I was expecting a bit of quad trouble which didn't seem to happen.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good work Bus! Nice to see you on the mend.

21 for me this morning at 6:52 pace. Comfortable, and didnt force the pace. Things seem to really be coming together this week with things feeling much smoother, although this foot issue does appear every now and then.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Dachs. Your LSR is a couple of leagues up though - good work! What's the plan for the remaining few weeks to Wokingham training wise or is it all focus on the VLM plan and Wokingham will just be what it is? I'm hoping to get in 3 more long runs of 17, 16, 15 with the last one done at about 7MM pace, togtehr with building the mid-week tempos up both in terms of quality and distance to see if I can get to 8 miles at target MP without falling apart image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus - loose plan until Wokingham is keep the mileage high but make sure there's at lrast one HMP session per week. Then once Wokingham is done and dusted i'll try to hit some big MP sessions.

How come you have a target MP?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Simples - it's the pace I need to do to hit a half PB, so 6mm pace! In reality though, I don't think I'll be in PB shape in time, so have two fall-back targets -  6:02 pace would give a course PB, and 6:06 would be a sub 1:20. If my tempos tell me I don't think I can achieve at least 6:06 that I may well can the race.

Are you doing the Bramley 20 or any other races before London?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Great long runs you two. 

• Good long runs.. You must be knackered now!

Would loved to have watched international XC & would have loved to have raced even more!! But alas, work image

Today ended up being a v early and v Icey 8miles @ 8mm, but with 3x3min,2min,1min (1/2 rec), 10x1 min, 5x30s Fartlek session. Probably wasn't best idea to do it glycogen depleted but was the best shout with work. Plus, I quite enjoyed it really! Then a silly 3m of light jogging/drills at the side of the pitch.

43m in total this week.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good session Nikki. Always hard to do that sort of session first thing.

Just watched the XC on iPlayer -great venue, and fantastic job by young JonnyD!

Oddly enough, my legs feel fine, better than after the 10 milers I've done recently - just as well as I'm off to a party later and may need my dancing legs image

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow including the Tadley XCers...

• Cracking runs! Wokingham prep peaks next week with 15miler, then some shorter faster work. Rode with  TVT today. Like the first week back at school we only did 55km but with XC tomorrow I was happy with that,  and it was easy level. 

I'll see some of you tomorrow. Otherwise race well and enjoy the email weekend. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good long runs and sessions bus, Dachs & nikki

Absolute massacre at birm league xc.  80th got beat by loads for the first time.  I was flat and no response.  I did manage a storming last 50m sprint where I had so much frustration I took 3 or 4 who had over 15m lead going into it. Other than that it a day to forget.  Got beat by people who I beat by about a minute last week.  Had a chat with the coach and decided my new training plan I have tried since November isn't working.  Back to the sort of training that worked last yr. screw the grass &  back to fast reps on the track. I lack intensity,  it's time to get it back 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nah, what you need is un-timed 30 mile runs Dean image

I'm sure with after a few track sessions your speed will come back.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, I would go for short hills for intensity first. At least you were at the races. My XC season ended after one event.

Longest run for about 3 months this morning (8mls). The ankle injury is becoming less apparent during the run and after effects less also. As with any injury, the point at which I can really test things is equal to the length of time it took for the symptoms to disappear.  

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Ha!! Worth a shout bus.  What Im lacking at the moment is the middle part of a race.  I can go  out hard and normally finish fast but I'm really lost now in the middle. Im struggling to maintain the pace I should be able to hold comfortably.  A job lot of 8*1k with limited Rec should see me right.

ric.  You will back firing soon enough.  Defn be using more hills from now on.

• 8 x 1KM is a great session Dean and should bring back any lost intensity.

Hill session yesterday, 4 x 90s long hill, 6 x 25s, 10 x 12s. Short speed based session with lost of steep hills. Long run now, 12 miles.

Week today Helsby half marathon image.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good to see the healing process is well underway Ric.

Nice easy 5.5M xc recovery for me today, to clear the hangover and get me to 55M for the week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tadley XC today, and actually turned out to be one of the biggest thread meets ups we've had.

Phil, myself, Dachs, Crispings, Iron and Mee Meep all turning up.

With this year's series being higher numbers and thus higher quality, I knew last year's 3rd place wouldn't be even a dream, especially now they'd taken out the very sapping last mile of water jumps and ploughed hilly fields that I for some reason seem to motor up.

However, a new course, and being XC anyway means there's less comparisons, so you can race it as it comes.

First 1/4mile is on a path, before a badly fallen tree calls for an early hurdle, then the race starts in earnest out through the woods. First couple of miles are fairly standard, with the main obstacle if you're over midget height being to not rip your face off on branches, whilst trying not to get tripped by roots at the same time.

I'd settled into what must have been the top 8-10, with no one ahead who shouldn't be, but with 2 Windle runners I hadn't seen before ahead.

Didn't feel especially gorgeous, with first 2 miles of 5.43, 6.12 but could tell I was in the right mixer.

Was interested to see where they'd add the new parts of the course, but whatever they'd added after mile 2 didn't feel particularly different, so it was all going to be about the supposed "Long descent and long hill" after 4miles.
    The 3-4mile section felt a lot more undulating than previously, and reminded me of the old Bracknell course that had a profile reminiscent of a camel's humps!

Around 3-4miles the chap from Windle I was a second or 2 behind managed to fall over right on a very sharp incline to the right, and after that he was gone.
    Thereafter it became my usual battle with a Wargrave chap, who I had a series 1-1 with so far, with miniscule time differences.

I stuck with him, and a 51 year old local legend waltzed past, a chap with a 2.36 hilly marathon apparently the other week...

The long down didn't really feel long, but was very steep, while the long hill was fairly moderate and not too long. Certainly no substitute for the usual last mile finish!

After that it was the horrible bit the 1/4mile path finish, where you come round about 3 false finishes, before you see the real finish.

My body was comfortable to just finish by then, but something, probably sheer paranoia about what may be going on behind kicked in, and I just gently eased past Mr Wargrave, took about 15-16 looks back, before finishing, to get my reward of a top 10 (for the spreadsheet records image)

Dachs and Crispy provided plenty of what the kids would call lolz and bantz afterwards, and it was that glorious period of after racing, of chatting loads of running and general nonsense.

Obligatory thoughts of begging for it to finish, to wanting to go again, as per every race ever!

6.06 average pace, which offroad will do. 31.37 for 5.2miles. Impossible to compare really to last years 32.50ish, as that was probably 0.1m further, and had a harder finish!

• Hang on, that's not the WHOLE report in just one post, is it?

20 miles before breakfast for me today. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image wow that's quick post...you're certainly worthy of your "second behind Phil at internet prowling" status image

• ...says the man who responded to my post 2x as quickly. The others are probably just slow readers.