Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

What's the course like Rich?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

20 is barely my mileage this week, let alone a 20 mile run. Ive been doing long runs up to 17 all year round but just slacking the last few weeks for various reasons. Better pull my finger out...

Congrats on the victory Speedy I'm sure you put your all in for the team over the series.  

• Morning all,

Welcome Ex-pat, there's plenty of "experience" in here so I wouldn't worry to much about being too advanced in the years to be thinking about PB times!

It's amazing how having a family changes our our lives - I woke at 5am to get my Long run out of the way before Sunday really gets going - something that would have been unheard of a few years ago when even 7:30 was an early start!

Unfortunately Mini-FINgers No2 has also decided that 5am would be a good time to wake too so I'm currently watching him crawl round the floor pulling toys of shelves, so still waiting to get out the door to do the run!

12-13 miles planned today. Will be interesting as this is by far the longest I've been for a few months!
  • Ant & TR

Following a quick read back - it must have been National Plane and Sand Porch doors yesterday then - as I had both my back doors off yesterday too for some remedial works to allow me to close them!

They'd swelled so much that to close them I had to go round the house from the front door to be able to give them a big shove from outside. Not ideal when our doors decide they need "out" at 3am!
  • Welcome to ex-pat. Looks like you've already had some good advice.
    AR - you didn't fancy swimming then?
    Martin - good 20 miler.
    TR - good to know I'm not the only one! 4 loads yesterday and still not all dry.
    Leslie - good parkrunning to round off an excellent week.
    Rich - hope the buggy run went OK. Good luck with the 10k!
    Bike It - great parkrun with your son.
    GM - nice speedy 8 miler.
    OO - enjoy the XC.
    SJ - sounds like a busy weekend.
    Lorenzo - good luck with the progressive run today. Yesterday's run started at 4:14am, but didn't finish till after 7:30!
    Speedy - congrats on the win.
    FINgers - hope you manage to get out for a run!
    Rest day for me. Just realised that as I ran a 6 miler last Sunday, I accidentally notched up 68 miles in the last 7 days.

• My doors and windows are all UPVC and metal: what century are you guys living in?

Gull has a rest day and is still posting before me, though it is Sunday and he has a reason to be up early on Sunday.

XC for me today: frosty start here (I just sent snapchats to my kids but can't find a contact for this thread). RW, if you are listening, we need a snapchat feed.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Snapchat? Get you. 

Its frosty up North too. And DRY! Yipeeeee 

• I thought snapchat was only for sexy pictures...

• Ha Ha TR.  "Just an easy run"; best way to look at it.

Excellent 2nd place Leslie and at the end of a 60 mile week.

OO - I'm running London again this year.  Always run my 1st 20 miler on this weekend.  5 or 6 more planned before taper time.

Sounds like a good varied workout Slokey.  Hope the 5th run goes well today.

Well done Speedy on another team prize.

Monster mileage Gul. 

The yoofs at work all use snapchat.  Have no idea though!!

An easy 4 miles for me this morning brings up 56 miles for the week.  First time ever I've ran 50+ miles for 5 weeks in a row.  A bit of an easier week next week.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Martin - Very consistent high mileage.

Gul - You've certainly earned your rest day!

Speedy - Well done in your xc, another trophy, how big is your trophy cabinet? Which marathon are you doing, can't see your races on the list??

Lit - Ditto, what are your race plans?

Nice 12 miler this am with two friends, nice and easy pace, avg 8:02. Only 40 miles this week but I'm happy with that.

• Thanks for all the advice and support.

I live in Finland, so climate quite a challenge in winter. Snow from Dec- April and cold temps- can get as low as -30°C, although that isn’t too often (outside now it’s a crisp -11°C). So there aren’t really any road races here during the winter. I can do faster training on an indoor track if it’s too cold outside. Apart from the climate in winter, Finland is a runners’ paradise- loads of places to run, wide pavements, little traffic, forest paths etc...

I have trained hard mileage-wise over the years, so I’m trying to find out what I can do differently to reach the next level. I suppose I’ve done speed intervals fast enough- just above/ below 4 mins for 1000m, but I think that my other long/ medium runs might be too slow, that’s why I was asking about pace.

I seem to be able to run surprisingly fast off little training, but then when I train hard my race results don’t improve as I expect. Suppose that means that my basic fitness is good, but I’m not training hard enough to take it to the next level.

Think I might run a marathon in May (although work commitments could get in the way), but not try for 3.15 and then try for the PB in the autumn. I have a long summer holiday from work, so I’ve got plenty time to train hard then.

• Welcome ex-pat. No, you're definitely not too old - I'm 51 and definitely still looking to go faster (although not this year for various reasons). It looks like you're doing enough mileage, but I guess the question is how does it break down, how many long runs are you doing during the build up (i.e 30k or more), and what paces are you running at. Can you give us an idea of your weekly schedule?

Long run sort of petered out this morning. I went back up to the park and ended up running 15 laps at around 8 minute mileing, by which time it was getting a bit too busy with locals walking dogs etc to run easily so I headed back. Total was just over 10.5 miles, but I was getting really hot again and getting a bit bored of the laps as well so it'll do, My legs just feel terrible at the moment though, and I have to say I'm really doubting if I'm going to be anywhere near where I need to be in time. Wokingham Half in just a months time I don't think is going to be much fun at all.

Hardcore runners here in Tenerife - one chap this morning was running a shorter lap round the park and the third time I saw him he was running whilst smoking a cigarette!

Home tomorrow to find out if the house has floated away or not.

• Sounds like a great place ExPat. We visited Yllas a couple of years ago to see Santa and ski about a bit. -24! Would love to see it in the summer.

Thanks for the thought Martin but the planned 12 mile run didn't go so well today. I was at the 6mile point having done 2000 ft of climbing and the dog decided to try to pass me on a single track trail in the woods - I didn't particularly enjoy the resulting somersault or landing in a mixture of boulders, mud and holly bushes or the sensation (whilst mid air) that my left leg was detaching from my still rather delicate hip. Lay in the mud for 15 mins or so whilst gently stretching my hip out and managed a slow jog home - shortcut to bring it in at about 9.5miles. Sore. Will assess damage later after a day of gentle movement image 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - how modern !

Martin - 20 bagged today, first one of the campaign, easier than last weks deathmarch 18, but then I was up on the hill and I find hilly long runs easier (and not great prep for VLM) due to all the "downtime". One down, 7 to go ! Still found it a bit of a chore though.

GM - no VLM targets, do the training and see where the fitness gets me is my approach, although if you wanted to make a bet on me I've done the last 6 VLMs between 2:51 and 2:55. So I know where I'd put my money, consistency is the key !

Minni - got any posts for me (from the bath ?).

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Slokey: oww.  That sounds very painful.  Hope that you're not too damaged.

Quite like the image of a very modern PMJ admiring his shiny windows and snapchatting pictures of them.  Or something.

Good miles from Martin and 

Well done on the team win, Speedy

12M for me as a 'long' run at 8.16m/m, but I'll take that as it had a few hills thrown in there.  Means 45M + 2 hours of cardio in the gym so probably about 60M worth of exercise in total, which is respectable (even if the schedule does say 70 for the week...)

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ex-pat - what are your pbs over other distances?  I was like you in that I seemed to be able to knock out quite good marathons (around but under 3:30) off little training but I couldn't get any faster.  When I tried I failed.  I decided London in 2011 was going to be my last marathon and was determined to get under 3:30.  I followed the P&D, up to 55 mpw, to the letter and did 3:28.  Of course it wasn't my last marathon and I've now got that down to 3:15.

I think consistency is the main key.  You've just got to keep working at it.  But, I also started to get bespoke schedules that tackled my weakness (speed) and gave me achievable goals in training and racing.

I don't think age really comes into it but there are a lot more men in their 50s achieving fast marathons and not many women.   I think this makes women think its out their reach but its not.

• Good to see Martin and Jools starting to ramp up the miles - it means we're getting to the business end of this marathon training lark. TR is almost at pea-shelling stage, I see.

Slokey - Ooyah!, as they used to say in The Beano. With a bit of luck you'll be straight back out there none the worse for the tumble.

Minni, I think TR has got you confused with me. Shall I post a photo from my bath? That'd learn 'im.

18 miles with 10 @ MP was the P&D monster lurking at the end of this week, and a pretty terrifying beast it appeared. Even more so when you consider this week has included 9 w/ 5 @ HMP and MLRs of 14 and 11.5. I almost considered just plodding the distance.

But here is the key - and what I hope and fervently pray will mean success at VLM: NO SHIRKING, AND NO SHORTCUTS. As long as your targets are reasonable, and at the same time reasonably hard, with a bit of effort they are achievable.

MP to go sub-3 is 6:50mm, but that's in April, and i think to attempt that sort of pace in training in the middle of a longer run would be demoralising and thus counter-productive. So without wishing to sandbag, I decided to do 8 miles @ about 7:48mm and then do the last 10M @ about 7:10mm, which would be sub 3:10mm, which seems sensible at this stage, three months out.

Well, in the end I kicked on from just short of 7.5 miles and did a total of 18.1 miles with10.6M at an av 7:01mm, feeling strong. it's a daunting prospect on your own on a Sunday morning, but honestly I found it easier than a plod over ther same distance - better gait, longer strides, better form in general. This was a massive confidence booster.

This week I passed the magical 100kms figure - that's 62.5 miles.

Having just re-read this, it sounds all a bit bullish, but really - push yourself while keeping positive and you'll be surprised at what becomes possible.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nice XC Speedy.

Good to see you getting back to it Jools.  Are you fully recovered?

Hope Rich has had a good 10k.

Nice mileage Gul.  I think I might have just knocked you off top spot. Soz.

Great Jantastic effort Moof.

FINgers wrote (see)
    Morning all,

Welcome Ex-pat, there's plenty of "experience" in here so I wouldn't worry to much about being too advanced in the years to be thinking about PB times!

It's amazing how having a family changes our our lives - I woke at 5am to get my Long run out of the way before Sunday really gets going - something that would have been unheard of a few years ago when even 7:30 was an early start!

Unfortunately Mini-FINgers No2 has also decided that 5am would be a good time to wake too so I'm currently watching him crawl round the floor pulling toys of shelves, so still waiting to get out the door to do the run!

12-13 miles planned today. Will be interesting as this is by far the longest I've been for a few months!

FINgers wrote (see)
    Morning all, 

Unfortunately Mini-FINgers No2 has also decided that 5am would b

Let's not start any rumours here....!!!  Those are hard days but lovely.  My baby boy is going to be 14 on Tuesday. 

Nice running from Martin, Lorenzo, Ant etc.

Jantastic seems to have got off to a good start.  I'm sure those with less that 100% just need to log those final runs of the week.  Knight Rider needs to log 4.  He might need a PM if this continues!

Yesterday was a speed awareness course followed by The Railway Man in the evening.   I seemed to have lots of dreams about fast cars and torture so was quite relieved to get our for my run this morning.  17.5 miles all very easy.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - great post.  Well done.  Monster week banked.

I'm off for a hot bath now....

• Slokey- sounds nasty , not sure how many times dogs have nearly left me flat on the road but only actually fell once because of it yet,Those extendable leads I find to be a curse .

Tr-  The first 20 was easy  ..excellent .

Gul and Martin -good weekly mileage

BOTF- smoking on the run only for serious athletes ..image

17 for me this morn and after yesterday it was vey tough and nearly threw in the towel at 15 but I'm a stubborn old git and anyway I had to get back to the car so would have had to walk it anyway.3 miles  at 7:50 in the middle for a mini tempo and I couldnt have went any further today.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

easier than last weks 18 (which was a deathmarch) lets not get carried away, next Sunday is a 10K races, so my body has 2 weeks to forget that 20 !

Ant - minni said she posted to me from the bath, and I intend to keep that thought, thanks very much but I dont want you to spoil it.............top work on that run today, bodes very well this far out and quite right that you dont need to be that worried about 6:50 pace this far out. Great to see you pecker up.......just dont photograph and post it !

Minni - I did 5 runs, when I promised 4, do I get to claim 125% ?

• Ooyah indeed.

Leslie, the most annoying thing was it was my own stupid dog (not for the first time).

Great posting Ant! Cheerleader of the week award goes to you. 

• Ant, tough old run to do at the best of times , so it was very nice to get it done and break the 100K too

Great runs too Lorenzo, Martin, and TR on the long stuff.

OO - you have bags of endurance stored up. It is just  a question over releasing the beast!

Main issue for me at the moment is the back door (on the house). Also swollen in the weather and needing some attention.

Hanson Week 7 Summary:

Met the quality workout targets and continued to stretch the easy mileage:

Easy 54M @ 7:10
    Tempo 7.2M @ 6.13
    Speed 3M @ 5:34

Slight slap on the wrist as I was going to slow down some of the easy runs.

Week 8 will be a cut back week (low / mid 50s)  and is also the first week to include a long run (14M). This would have been a typical mid week medium long run run in training gone by. I think time of feet will be the order of the day.

• Ant nice long one there with MP thrown in. I am shirking off those sort of runs but will race when I need to do MP.

New word for me is belfie: a 'bottom selfie' - a photographic self-portrait featuring the buttocks, usually posted by female celebrities on social media networks.

We may need bathie

Tadley XC today. The plan is obviously dominated by VLM so I have done 18, 5, 14, 5 and 12 so far this week for a tad over 54 and today makes close to 63 which is what P&D says for this week, so today was supposed to be 9 with 5 lactate threshold, the XC race came out as 5.21 miles in 33:13 at 6:22 pace which is maybe a bit slow but then it wasn't road ...

So got the the event early, little natter and then a walk to the start and a couple of miles warm-up and a check out of the early parts of the course especially a big tree trunk that almost totally blocked a gateway after 400m. Started on the left as that lined up with the gap and passed by OK and settled down into what seemed to be the right place.

Most of the race was uneventful, for the most part I wasn't pushing hard and doing so meant that I had a bit more time to look and plan a route and place my feet so even though I was expending less effort, I wasn't any slower than those round me. A team-mate passed between 1 and 2 miles who has passed me within a mile or so of the end each time this year but never got away, so I just followed the group he was in for a while. He then started to pull ahead and it looked to me that it was as much others falling back as him moving forwards so I took a few runners just before 3 miles.

I worked too hard up a steep hill soon afterwards and felt uncomfortable for the first time in the race, but a section of good path soon after got me back on course.  I didn't look round but there seemed to be a few guys behind me and they came closer at different times, one downhill and one uphill. I got a shout from our injured captain at 4 miles that there was a bunch of Reading vest behind and to keep them behind. I was waiting for the big hills that we had been promised in the last mile but never found, there was a long and steep down but the up afterwards was very split up and  by the end of it I was clear of the pack behind, so could relax on the run in with the only problems being the many false finishes as the finish straight was not so straight and there were a lot of people with bright jackets and stopwatches (why?).

A couple warm down, tea and cakes: didn't have to choose between the two as the cakes were a couple of miles from the finish so everyone had a forced cool down, nice plan.

Roll on next week, exact same plan, 18 tomorrow ...

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    18 miles at 8.14 pace for me this weekend. Legs are much stronger than last year but really miffed that I have a hip/ITB pain. Came on again yesterday at around 4 miles. Was able to run through it but boy did it hurt after. One to monitor...

Time to have a read back to see how everyone else got on this weekend.

SB
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Wow, lots going on since I last logged in _ I haven't taken notes, so apologies to anyone omitted!

Nice to hear from MsE, welcome back to FINgers, SteveC
    Great holiday session the other day by BOTF
    Fine miles in the week & today from ANT- and fine mindset too, my friend ! 
    Splendid weekly total by Gul, and solid training block by Martin noted  . . .
    Good long ones by Leslie & TR (good to notch the inaugural 20 of the campaign)
    I hope SJ recovered from the acrobatics, and no serious damage done  . . . .
    Liked Philip's report - always enjoy getting a picture of how someone's race has unfolded - btw, in these parts "snapchat" would indicate a discussion of the contents of one's packed lunch; indeed, the cakes at the end would be described as "post-race snap"  . . . . 
    welcome to ex-pat - I agree that 47 isn't too old per-se for PB setting, but more relevant is the length of time one has been running. EG if a runner starts at, say, 45, then she/he can maybe set PBs well into the 50's.  However, for those with running careers much longer, and who have trained to be as quick as they can in those early years, then I would say it's unlikely that they would become faster. 
    In my own case, I began at age 31, set mara PB at 36, 10K PB at 39. I'm 59 now, so have spent 20 years getting slower !  I managed my last sub-3 at 47, so you can have a few years at a reasonable level.  There are exceptions however (OO comes to mind on here as defying the years splendidly), and from the info provided (your willingness to train harder than maybe previously), then I'm certain you can have a good shot at your goal.
    Best of luck, anyway - there will be plenty of support  on here !! 

Meanwhile, 20 done here - couldn't go y'day (my normal go-long day), so had to give myself a talking-to and head out today. 51 for week in 5 runs -  101 in first 12 days of 2014, inc 2 x 20. Not as tired feeling as at end of last week's 20. 

have a good week all.  

• Birch wrote (see)

welcome to ex-pat - I agree that 47 isn't too old per-se for PB setting, but more relevant is the length of time one has been running. EG if a runner starts at, say, 45, then she/he can maybe set PBs well into the 50's.  However, for those with running careers much longer, and who have trained to be as quick as they can in those early years, then I would say it's unlikely that they would become faster. 

There is a theory it takes about 8 years to get good at something, so you should improve for 8 years if you start late. Improve is hard to define, obviously you get get better and slower  just because of the natural degradation of the body.

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

There is a theory it takes about 8 years to get good at something, so you should improve for 8 years if you start late. Improve is hard to define, obviously you get get better and slower  just because of the natural degradation of the body.

Having done my first marathon in 2006, I should be maturing nicely then! image

Ex-pat - if you're in Finland, how about Stockholm at the end of May? I'll be doing it with Mrs L as her first marathon and it looks a good flat course - very scenic with a finish in the Olympic stadium.

Plans changed this morning with the rest of the family doing the club training session so 16 miles became a hilly 18.5 miles with a faster final 3 (OK, some of that was coming down from Leith Hill) to meet them when they finished - good to get that one under the belt even if they finished a bit later than planned which meant I was hanging around a bit.

Slippery in places so surprised to see so many cyclists out there, but at least it was dry for them.

Takes me up to 58 miles for the week across 9 runs (includes 2 days with a 2+2 commuting double)

• hmmm, don't know whether that's good for me or not... ran my marathon pb in 2004, ran 1st marathon in 1993 having started running the previous year, literally starting from zero fitness. However, I haven't been training consistently hard all those years- time off for kids, combining working full-time work & studying, 18 months out with plantar fasciitis etc. etc. Ran HM pb in 2011 and my 2nd fastest marathon to date (just minute from my pb).

2012 was spoiled when I fell and hurt my back. My 2013 marathon attempt was spoiled when I aggravated my right achilles 4 weeks before my autumn goal marathon and I just couldn't get back into the groove again.

Nov. & Dec were spent just running easy runs.

It feels like it's now or never, so just want to do everything possible.