Sub 3

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Padams/Toro - I agree, spinning can definitely be hard work if you want it to be!  I've had a couple of proper beasty sessions this week, partly because my running is still easy - and therefore I want to get the intensity in with my cycling and rowing efforts - and partly because they've introduced something called the RPM programme... nothing fundamentally different from what I'm used to but the format just seems to suit being able to gauge your effort so that you're properly spent by the end.

It's been a good week generally because I've managed to beast myself over 3 x rowing sessions as well (another "session pb" today, 2 x 15mins averaging 1:48.7 pace) and I've also managed running on three consecutive days (6,7,9 miles) without any complaints from the foot.  I'm not getting too carried away, since it was only faster running which aggravated it last time anyway, but at least I'm getting the miles back up.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams - agreed, 4M must the max possible for most folks anyway.

PP - with all that hard bike and running then easy paced running must be good for now anyway.

Todays 9M gives me 49M for the week off 5 runs, tomorrow is bike only.

• Getting busy on here.

LJ - Hope the ankle is ok, looks like your getting back to some big weekly mileage.

bufo - Nice midweek 15

Joolska - good to see your feeling stronger after lurgy.

Al_P - Good work on getting the 10 miler done, I struggle with very early morning. Thanks for the advice, will keep going with the roller. 

TR - Good biking and HMP section of running - nice session.

Good set of hills there Wardi, a nice block of tempo too.

Good going getting all those hard days training done Padams

SL - Nice pace!

Tmoth - Good weeks training, I'm going to do a similar run tomorrow and run the parkrun hard. If you have the miles in the body, don't see a problem with pushing the 5k.

Toro - So with your strides you always use a pace relevant to the session/race ahead? I've always only used them to get the legs turning over, gently accelerating, but with no specific end goal pace - generally a bit short of all out sprint.

Good rowing running combo PP, good the foots playing ball.

10 miles fairly easy in 7.55's very early this morning. Had lots to do today so meant a 4.30am start! Never like running that early, just never get into it. Will do another 12-15 tomorrow with a parkrun towards the front end as long as the knee is still ok when I get up.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

AW - I have only just started with strides so by no means an expert but from what I have been told when we do them at the track they are at the pace relevant to the session and we always do 6x100 at 20-21 (84s/400 - 5:40 pace) on Tue and 18-19 (75s/400 - 5:00 pace) on Thu to prepare the legs for the session.  Rational - it's no good not hitting the rhythm and the reps end up not being quality work.

Yes, I would agree used in a general session it is more as you say to get the legs turning (I think P&D says something similar) over but pre-race using the logic applied to the track I would aim for the race pace so you keep it controlled for the first 800m.  I will ask next week for guidance.  

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

AW - That is an early start.  Well done good motivation!  Hope knee is ok.  

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

SL - Amazing 'controlled pace' run, a 'coro10' plus 1.5M extra!

TR - Good work with the HMP effort

Padams - that's a lot of hard training in 4 days, easy weekend ahead then?

AW - That must pretty much count as Gobi-o'clock, at least it's quiet at that time of day!

Wardi - Thanks for the route tips, probably aim for a couple of racecourse laps to warm up (with some strides, need to remind my legs they are meant to be running fast!) and then a few easy miles up the river and back as you suggest.

6.25M steady (6:55/M) this morning, with some stride/jog/stride sections in the last mile or so. Legs felt much better than the previous morning, little way to go fitness wise though....

• Thanks Toro, it makes sense now you say it to add the specifity. I shall think a bit more about what pace when doing them in future.

• Toro - I did my first 'Strides' on Wednesday as well after having listened to Pfitzinger on marathon talk saying he would more of them in the plan.

I didn't worry too much about the pace, just gradually accelerating for about 15secs.

CW - good pace on home commute. I always struggle to get much quicker than 8m/m on commute runs with a rucksack.

//
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for you PP.

SL - you must be in pretty good shape if a controlled 11.5 came out at 5:55 pace. Nice!

Nice tempos Wardi & TR.

TR/Padams - 3-4 @ HMP is pretty much my limit as well. In fact looking back at my log to last year I often don't even manage HMP for 3m (5:35 pace on a Friday, 5:32 in a race as part of a long run on the Sunday).

It was obviously tempo Friday yesterday then. I was running out of time to get to track, so just bagged a 14m in a 3m easy, 6m tempo, 5m easy style. Tempo was a 3m split - 5:48/5:40 for a 5:44 average.

I'm definitely starting to (slowly) get a bit fitter, but the weight is being very slow coming off. Always happens though, pretty static for a while and then it starts to fall off. I've always just assumed that it's probably water retention due to muscle damage as I get back into training offsetting actual weight loss from the increased mileage.

• Hi everyone, just realised I've not been on here for 3 weeks image Am going to try to read back later and with a bit of luck someone will have posted a resumé. Mind you, I guess very little racing has happened.

Hit my normal post-Christmas 'wtf-meh' but kept running at 50+mpw, started a new job last Monday and have worked a commute pattern around Wandsworth Common with some doubles and even triples to try and kick man flu. Seems to have worked and I'm off on a longer run now into the Surrey hills. Might be back into the 60'smpw this week with a bit of luck although a slight left calf strain threatens trouble. We'll see!

• Good run for me this morning.

Went along to parkrun, after 1.5 mile warm up got cracking with the parkrun. One guy disappeared into the distance, so knew a win wasn't on the cards. Pushed as hard as I could, but right from the start I had no one around me so it was effectively a lone time trial. Started to tire in the last mile but held it together for a 17.37 by my watch, which is a 4 second PB. First was an impressive 16.02, so miles ahead of me in second!

Pleased to be showing good fitness improvements early in the campaign. 13 in total today with another 8.5 home.

• Decent run for me too, 20.5 out to a very wet and muddy Riddlesdown parkrun and back.  No traction at all during the parkrun, almost running on the spot Scooby-doo style in places, but my first 20 miler of the campaign.  Good to get it done, busy weekend will follow!

Good to see SL taking over where coro left off, and AW beating Gobi-o'clock.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

AW - 4:30 start! wow well done. thats only a been a race day (geting up) time for me.

TT - sounds like its coming back.

CD - good news on the 20, wasnt so long ago you were being told to do nothing.

90min turbo inc short and long efforts today. Thats quite a few hard days in a row, good job all I'm planning for tomorrow is an easy 20 !

• SL - Nice "controlled" run, always good when that sort of pace feels comfortable.

AW - Good parkrun PB and impressively early runs. For strides I've never had a target pace or anything, just accelerate steadily to as fast as I can comfortably run for ~100m (not sprinting) and try and have good form while at speed. 

2x4.5 miles easy yesterday and the session I meant to do then this morning (got delayed and didn't want to do it in the dark) - 4x~2miles off 2mins round a slightly muddy grass loop. Started decently but finding it hard work towards the end, averaging 5:17/5:21/5:29/5:30 pace though at least was able to pick it up a bit in last km. Decent warm up and cool down to make it 14.3 miles for the day.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - I'm impressed with the paces you're knocking out on the long erg efforts.

TT - looks like the course for next weekend might be changed to two shorter laps due to flooding. Not much difference but it avoids the biggest hill.

Nice run this morning - about 7.5M then park run in 17:48 on a slippery off-road route (usual course flooded) in about the worst shoes possible for that terrain. I was nearly a minute ahead of 2nd place by the finish and didn't push it too hard. Then about 5M steady afterwards.

• Wardi -- if I could "like" a Sub3 post, I would have done... " Charlie's kids are kung fu fighting while Charlie is fast as lightning!" (danced quite a lot to that one over the years, a family favourite). Nice tempo stint in your training run BTW.

Padams -- are you _human_ after all? I don't ever recall you saying you'd overdone it in training before!

SL -- you're flying.

AW -- congrats on the parkrun PB. And on your easy win Padams. Clearly over your overtraining before it began!

And too many others to mention doing fine training.

I had a call on Thurs night to say my Dad's partner's damned cat had bitten her (again), and hospitalised her with an infection, and my Dad is too old and confused (just like me) to be left alone, so I had to drive down to Kent and babysit, returning only today. So I had an unplanned rest day yesterday. But made up for it with a Coro 10 at lunchtime today (in sub-62 mins -- pretty good, but back in the day they were sub-60...). And I'll make sure I get a really good long run in tomorrow before potentially having to drive down there again.

Oh, and today I'm a V44. V45 will be mildly more interesting in running terms of course.

• Very nice park runs Padams and AW. Great pb for the latter and Padams sub-18 off-road, slippery, after 7.5m beforehand is very impressive.

CW hope you have had a great day after the shenanigans with the cat.

CD snap with the 20.5m. I had one of the most glorious long runs of my life: straight out from Guildford up onto the North Downs Way through the Surrey hills in fabulous sunshine and mild conditions. I headed down to the River Wey and back a couple of times so it was very hilly, hence the slightly shocking 3 hour time. Good for training though.

Apologies again for absence. My new job has meant 5am starts in order to get my runs in first thing. Not quite Gobi and AW o'clock though image

• Toro - Interesting on the strides, must admit I've always ignored them too..

CD - Nice work with the 20 miler! I'm working my way up a mile at a time, did 16 yesterday and it wasn't the easiest!

HR - Not sure I'd find the motivation for training if I had to get up as early as that! Good efforts!

Quick update from me: I wasn't very well over Christmas, had some kind of fever, so had a week off the training, then slowly seem to have regained some fitness but very hit and miss. I've got the Norfolk cross country champs tomorrow morning, not really feeling too fresh so we'll see how that goes..!

Got a half decent long run in Yesterday, 16 miles at 7:22 but left calf feeling pretty tight and uncomfortable, as it has been for a week or so ago, weirdly the only time it has felt okay was running 1k intervals on the grass in my XC spikes on Tuesday.. took it very steady today, I might do 20 minutes on the cross trainer tomorrow morning to try and loosen it up pre the race.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, CW.

• Hope the calf shapes up, OT.

HR -- sounds like a splendid outing there.

Thanks Jools! Made the mistake of claiming I might do my first full 26.2 tomorrow on Facebook to make up for birthday excesses -- I am now very full of curry, have a new bottle of port to hand, and my annual fix of Laphroaig. So maybe I had better get out there and do it...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday CW, sounds like you are celebrating well.

• Happy Birthday CW!

Monster read back complete (too busy working and training during the week, I don't know how you lot find the time to read and post as well as run!). I see I missed a huge discussion on shoes. One of my favourite subject. Damn.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

first 20 of the campaign bagged (7 more to go ?), easier than last weeks deathmarch 18 but I was up on the hill today and I find the hilly long runs easier due to the "downtime", still found it a bit of a chore though.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

12M for me as a 'long' run at 8.16m/m, but I'll take that as it had a few hills thrown in there.  Means 45M + 2 hours of cardio in the gym so probably about 60M worth of exercise in total, which is respectable (even if the schedule does say 70 for the week...)

• 21 miles done, 16 of them with the lovely London Heathside Runners 9am group all training for VLM, all sub3 and they accommodated me nicely Although there were a few naughty 7 min miles here and there. Average for the warm up 2.7mile was 8mm, then 7.37 for the main 18.3 run with a 5 min walk at the end. can feel another session coming with OROD later.

nice efforts all ....

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PL3 - depends how far under sub3 you aim to run, if its 2:59 then you are running too fast, look more 8mm to 8:30mm. If you are running 20M at 7:20 and its an easy pace (which is where your long runs should be), then you need to look faster than sub3. However, you dont work out your marathon target time from long run pace. Lots of folks run their long runs too fast esp marathon novices.  

• PL3 - echoing what TR said. The long run pace should be slower. For me minimum 40 seconds per mile slower than target marathon pace but I usually aim for between 40-60. My goal is. 2.59 which equates to about 6.50, so today's was 47 seconds slower average although those naughty Heathside runners pushed the pace at points and dragged a couple of low 7min miles out of me. That works for me. I wouldn't call myself a novice but compared to most in here I am. one thing I will say, if you go too fast for your long run you can knacker yourself for the next quality training session and such practices can lead to injury if you try to "claw it back". 

Later on in the training plan you can run a large section of one of your long runs at target mara pace.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Second 20 miler of the campaign today. 8:30 per mile. Beautiful day out there!