Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, I've got a TH OFF this week, so most likely I won't be at Bracknell, but no doubt Phil will be all over it.

One of Phil's boys was making a low key attempt to sell Datchet to me earlier... that'd make me a popular bastad with my club...sorry chaps, now you're not league champs I'm off...to erm...your biggest rivals..but they are 10miles closer image

• The Bus it really is the longest single run I've ever done all I could think during last couple of miles was imagine doing a marathon it would be another 10/11 miles oh shit!

having said that 3 out of last 4 miles where the fastest and mostly uphill so pleased with strength legs feeling it now though!!!!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Great long runs and XC-ing by all. 

RobT, I'm doing Alsager 5. I was going to do Dewsbury 10k but I think might be able to wring some time out of my PB. image 

well hoping. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Robby, you can't steal my position as resident anti marathoner!

Although for some reason I've been having sudden thoughts of just doing one recently, due to the pressure being zero as getting round is an achievement...right? image

Maybe it's because I have a secret fear I'm a bit sh!t and might have peaked at the shorter stuff image

• Matt hope to see you there obviously I'll prob only see your back

I won't race if icy but it's supposed to be a fast course and good quality field image

• As I turned up to what became a pretty big thread meet up I'd better contribute!

Used to run in this league and this fixture is close to home so thought I'd have a run out as a guest. Decided to cycle the 6 miles there and back as a little extra.

Set off quick and settled into 5th after about half a mile, (enjoyed hurdling the tree!) pretty comfy through the woods and saw a guy who sped off at the start coming back. Attacked on the short hills but he stayed in. Hit the big downhill at about 4 pretty hard, still together beginning the long hill but he was out the back by the top - time to drag it out and make sure Dachs and a Datchet who I knew werent too far off couldnt claw me back.

Hit the last third of a mile on the track hard and kept clear.

Dachs wrote (see)

Sped up into the last mile, with the thought I could overhaul 4th, but in the end he was too far ahead.

Wasnt sure how far you were, Garmin reckons I did the final 1/3 mile at 4.35 pace - it felt like it! 4th finish about 30.20 overall for a 5.52 avg.

Good to see some of the others and get back on a course I have run in a few years image

• Stevie G I have no fear of getting round but a fear of collapsing as I know myself and I would expect to run a much faster time than is really possible for my training and would completely underestimate the task having said all that this year is all about prep for next year 1st year v50 blast some times hopefully from 1 mile to 10k then 2016/17 move up distance and run a HM and possibly a marathon image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

4.35 pace? what the.

Mine felt more like 14.35 pace image

Doubt anyone here remembers it, but in 06, and maybe 08/09 there was a bloody fallen tree right near the end that you had to hurdle.

In the style of Ric, I've obviously got photo evidence

(one race I ever wore gloves, a mistake realised after 1/4mile by the way)

/members/images/104999/Gallery/Tadley_XC_8_0.jpg

• Haha, OK, thanks guys. I will go for a 10miler tomorrow, and scrap the tempo session/use the xc as a replacement.

See, I'm listening image

• robT wrote (see)

this year is all about prep for next year 1st year v50 blast some times

Same thoughts here, but I turn 50 towards the end of 2015 so get the issue with do I target a few races at the tail end of 2015 or save it for a full 2016?

• Stevie G wrote (see)

4.35 pace? what the.

Mine felt more like 14.35 pace image

Doubt anyone here remembers it, but in 06, and maybe 08/09 there was a bloody fallen tree right near the end that you had to hurdle.

In the style of Ric, I've obviously got photo evidence

(one race I ever wore gloves, a mistake realised after 1/4mile by the way)

/members/images/104999/Gallery/Tadley_XC_8_0.jpg

You also appear to have something under your vest!

Sprint for the line came thundering passed me today claiming bad hammy as a reason to run it 'easy'. I've never seen so much lycra on a runner; closet triathlete that oneimage

• Phil my birthday is December so I could possibly do Telford or Ribble valley 10k's in 2014 to post some times but main focus 2015 image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great racing there from iron, Dachs and pc2. All with tidy pace as well.

Dachs on the back of a 21 makes my "I was tired" excuse look lame.  You got to race county champs next yr and get involved in the inters.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

4.35 pace? what the.

Had a poke around on the garmin, final 0.3 4.30-5.10, mostly at the lower end. I wasnt convinced either.

I'm pretty sure its the same tree and its been there all these years

• Literally giggling on my sofa at "something under your vest" pahahaha

• Nikki I think he was just pleased to see the photographer.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I should probably say thanks to Andy Leslie for his..ahem agreement to me using this photo.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey - somehow or other about 5 posts appeared in between me typing my last one and it appearing! Anyway - great run there PC2 and Dachs, and especially so after that 21 miler yesterday - incredible stuff!

Nikki - good choice. Your whole week will thank you for it image

• 10miles @ 7:37mm this morning... is that the right sort of 'steady' pace?!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

nikki, you are in danger of training by committee. image if you ask 10 people on this thread you get 8 different answers normally as we all train differently. how did the pace feel to you?  were you hanging on or did they just fall out nicely?  plus how are you today and tomorrow, if it impacts on those sessions then it was not right.  if it doesnt carry on.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

nice thread outing, racing and training from everyone this weekend. Anyone did Parliament Hill?

Good news is I too managed a run on Saturday - first since beginning of December. OK, it was only 5km on the treadmill in 30mins but no pain or flare up so will introduce some more alongside XT'ing.

And with that in mind, went out and did 26 miles pre breakfast yesterday morning

Longest cycle I've done since being a kid image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nikki, that actually sounds spot on for your steady, on a rough calculation.

Johnas, good work, a frustrating little stall period, you'll soon be back on it i'm sure.

• Thanks guys. Dean... valid point! It felt fairly steady I think e.g. it wasn't my easy pace, but I certainly wasn't blowing. Overall felt quite good, so we'll settle for that! image

Great news Johnas. Really pleased to hear that you've made some progress!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

nikki - that sounds about right.  i was was told i ran my paces too quick when i first started and by the calculators i probably was....but i could hold them and it wasnt detrimental to my week so i ploughed on regardless.  Now those times seem slow.  Hopefully thats the same for you.

the only thing i think you need to consider in your training is making sure you take rest IMO.

Johnas - glad its coming back together.  you will be good in no time

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

if you ask 10 people on this thread you get 8 different answers normally as we all train differently.

only 8? I'd have said 11!

After yesterday I am ill again. Can barely speak, very sore throat, sore body/heavy muscles and dosed up on paracetamol again. I knew I was off pace yesterday.

This seems to be a regular occurrence the last month or so, and is my first winter at my current weight. Has anyone else experienced that quality (aka hard paced) running in cold/rain/etc does this so often?

Nice ride Johnas

• With my back to front weeks I did my long run this morning. P&D have a recovery week with 12 to goal but I had two small weeks over Christmas an New Year so am repeating last week so an 18 thins morning. Came out to be 18 @ 7:18 pace: it is supposed to be a bit slower and a bit more structured with a pick up at the end but too many runners to chase from mile 6 so I ended up doing 9 fastish in the middle rather than at the end. Route was out along the Thames to London Bridge, then back along the embankment (VLM miles 23 to 25) before a cut back through the parks to the office.

Fast bit was 9 @ 7:05 and slow bit 9 @ 7:31.

• IronCat probably too late now but I swear by using "first defence" on the first signs of sore throats in our household so far it has held off or limited any real issues for me despite my wife and daughter being full of cold!!

Nice 18 Phil image

Nikki I second what Dean say's with regard to pace it's not always easy to hold back but as long a your feeling comfortable go with that!

Jonnas good to see you're getting back slowly at forst but no doubt you'll be flying spring/summer as always

• robT wrote (
    Nikki I second what Dean say's with regard to pace it's not always easy to hold back but as long a your feeling comfortable go with that!

Watch out for bus and the grammar police.

Yesterday's results are up: http://www.tvxc.org.uk/results/team?race_id=45

A win for Datchet, hooray! Close though: just 3 points in it. If PC was second claim it would be very different. Of course we now need 200 comments on a facebook thread to sort out the nuances.

Turns out that people such as SG, Nigel Rackham and others help Datchet quite a bit: we had 3 in the top 6 so the Windle Valley guy in 6th place pushed 3 of our runners down 1 place but pushed 5 Reading guys down. SG added 1 to 3 of our runners but 4 of theirs.

• Sorry Phil I'll try harder next time!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Phil - in order to reach those 200 comments we need to play 'Spot the Guest'.  PC2 aside, there may be a candidate or two in there...