Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Huge turn out at Tadley yesterday, 376 runners! Stands out a mile when you look at my 8 run outs there.

DATE                        POSITION Finishers
    Sun Jan 8th 2006             27         215
    Sun Jan 6th 2008             33         217
    Sun Jan 11th 2009           11          241
    Sun Jan 31st 2010           14          167
    Sun Jan 9th 2011             8            257
    Sun Jan 8th 2012             7            277
    Sun Jan 13th 2013           3            294
    Sun Jan 12th 2014          10           376

The results have the guy ahead of me, and the 2 behind me all 1 second apart. Although I timed 31.37 exactly myself, it certainly didn't feel like Nigel was 1 second ahead, and i was pretty sure i'd left more than a 1 and 2 second margin on the 2 behind too!

Only thing i've ever seen like this was that 3k last year, where I snuck Frankie by 1/4second, then checked the results and had come 1/4sec behind someone I hadn't even noticed!?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, I used to find I'd get more sniffles and colds when the weather got ugly. Then I found that making sure I got into a hot shower or bath quite soon after helped a lot.

(Although these days I have a longer period stretching immediately after which does delay that stage!)

• IronCat5 wrote (see)

After yesterday I am ill again. Can barely speak, very sore throat, sore body/heavy muscles and dosed up on paracetamol again. I knew I was off pace yesterday.

This seems to be a regular occurrence the last month or so, and is my first winter at my current weight. Has anyone else experienced that quality (aka hard paced) running in cold/rain/etc does this so often?

I try and keep a bit of weight on over winter and lose it closer to marathon day. When I have gone through the winter light I have had more issues with colds etc.

Dachs wrote (see)

Phil - in order to reach those 200 comments we need to play 'Spot the Guest'.  PC2 aside, there may be a candidate or two in there...

Go on, dish some names ...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Iron - I had that when I started losing weight too. I found taking Echinacea regulalry over the winter months made a huge differnce in both the frequency and duration of colds.

Johnas - pleased that you are back mate!

I will only act as grammar police on the Team GB thread, I promise and even then, only when it becomes really painful!

Good session at lunch today - the SG classic HM prep 3 x 2M at HMP. Did it with 2 min walk rec, and a bit too short warm up/down of a mile (tight for time). Came out as:

6:01, 5:58, 5:58, 5:53, 5:59, 5:58 which I'm happy with at this stage.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looks tidy enough. With some classic excitement near the end of rep 2.

Did that session on a snowy Kingsmead once. That was hard work!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I have no trouble keeping weight on, especially in winter. Weight this morning 10lb's more than I was at during the Staines 10k.

Last year I held weight on less than 3000 kcal day despite an average 80 miles/wk mileage and all day gardening. Don't believe what it says on the packet me thinks.

As for photos. I'll try to get to the Metros XC to get some thread 'meet up' shots.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Tidy enough, but looking at my training diary, 7 secs per rep slower than the last time I did the same session in July 2012, just before my best ever Wycombe Half, so some catching up to do!

Wouldn't wnat to be doing it on snow and ice that's for sure!

• Thread shots: PC was just a blur at the start

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/11930339056_c305446bf1_b.jpg

better later

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/11930290286_2fca18580e_b.jpg

quality gurning

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3821/11929414285_44cfa94f23_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3718/11929840084_4036d305ec_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3722/11930193946_77a889d74f_b.jpg

spot the actor

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/11930237046_8c02bd4edf_b.jpg

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

apologies to anyone who didn't want their mugs all over the thread!!

• Ah crap. If Samir and Scotch are lurking they might finally realise I'm the one stood right behind them in the NYD startline photo

• PC2 - nah, they'd be unlikely to work that one out. I mean, it's not like anyone's actually come out and said it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that it's only the 12 or so regular contributors who read this thread.

• I think even if someone wrote it on a forum they spend too much time on they'd probably still need to have a little sit and think about it

Dachs wrote (see)

Phil - in order to reach those 200 comments we need to play 'Spot the Guest'.  PC2 aside, there may be a candidate or two in there...

The next guest is in 79th. Are you suggesting what I think you might be?

• Wouldn't have known what you look like until the photo was put up and I clicked straight away you said a while back about the photo so went back on the GB thread ;P 

I may appear as stupid as Samir but I am fairly well qualified otherwise XD

Haven't spent overly much time on here recently though with last 3-4 weeks being nightmare for me image

Good running by looks of things around.. I'll slide back into the darkness now :P 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I don't want to put any words in your mouth, but have you spotted some monumental underhand behaviour going on?

time to call shenanighans?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scotch, we have a rule on here that If you're name checked you must post within 10mins. As you took 18mins I'm afraid you are banished to forever argue with that faster younger lad on the other thread.

• Where did you get the pictures from Phil?

Quite liked the new Tadley course, prefered last years though with the water jumps. What's Bracknell like this Sunday? Worth shifting the long run to midweek to give it a go? There is no way I could do what Dachs did and long run the day before!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice pics Phil. I look quite determined, which is very out of character.

I think that the fact that I'm not sure what PC2 thinks I'm suggesting indicates that I'm probably not suggesting it. I just meant that there are usually guests if you look hard enough.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It was alright, but without that big finish it's massively lacking I think. Which sounds odd, as you don't generally feel too full of beans by 4miles anyway.

Bracknell is a 2 lapper. Big hill 5mins into the lap, much steeper than anything at Tadley but not actually bad, then you race down into the valley the other side, and have a few ups and downs.

You then come to a lake, which seems to take ages going round, and one of the longest finishing sections ever, which obviously on the first lap isn't the finish!

Decent course, but one I always find a slog. The old Lookout course was harder, but we only got to do that a couple of times up until 2009 at the latest.

• mee meep wrote (

Where did you get the pictures from Phil?

Bloke called Peter Cook does great photos of the last few races

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petercookspictures/sets/72157639732483463/

I ran Bracknell in 2012 and the course changed half way round as there were motorbikes all over where we were supposed to be. This is my garmin trace: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143653432

Course has a number of short and hard hills, some nice long bits as well. " laps plus odds and sods.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember them. Bloody idiots hooning around on motorbikes and the marshalls looking very panicked trying to safely guide us on course, but not anywhere near them!

ps blue font Phil. Necessary?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

That looks like a trail race!image great running on the back of the long run Dachs. Not something I'd ever think about, never mind do. 

good to hear you're back out running Johnas. I've no doubt you'll make a sensible approach back to full fitness unlike myself and a couple of others do on here. image 

toying with the idea of a trail 10k on Sunday so decided to do a session tonight. Due to time constraints it was a 3 x 10 min off 2.5 mins jog recovery on a treadmill tonight. Thought if I got the session in early I could do a lighter session on Thursday at the track if I decide to race on Sunday. All 3 reps at 5.10 pace or 18.7kmph but had to finish the last rep after 8 mins, I was gone. 

71.5 miles last week with two sessions prob something to do with it. Couple of easy doubles now which means out at 5am then into work for 11 hours then out running again at night. Cant wait! image

And I've treated myself to a garmin 220 today. I can finally see my mile splits etc after using a 110 for the last 18 months. 

• 71 miles BEAST! A 70+ week is always worth celebrating. I'd have love to have seen the faces of the folks in the gym, pissing about on iPhones, as your smashing out big reps at 18kmph!

7.4 miles tonight, ran that dodgy long run out of me and everything feels fine. Think it was a mixture of things.

Got some protein, carbohydrate, electrolyte shake today. Heard they can really boost long term recovery. Worth a shot anyway, and if they don't... they taste bloody great.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I've been trying a chocolate flavoured recovery drink SS. I could drink it everyday! 

Just had a look and 4 out of the last 10 weeks have been 70+ mile weeks with only 2 being less than 50. That's maybe why my easy pace seems to be a bit slower than McMillan says. although I do enjoy a nice easy run. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt I got given the 220 at Xmas.  It's much better than my old 305.   

• Deano, that watch looks so good, I've read it gives you a VO2Max reading based on various sessions and uses the heart rate strap and pace read outs to suggest you need a rest?! Almost enough to turn me away my Nike GPS.

Almost.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

That's the 620 Stevie. 

Im not liking my new alarm time. I've to be at work on the Wirral for 7am for the next month or so. That means my morning run needs to be at 5am. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as I sit here yawning after a 6 wake up Matt, I feel for you! that is blimming early!!  Would make any kind of quality really hard work