Groin injuries -wasting valuable training time. A salutory tale!

There are those (including myself) on this, and other similar forums, that get plenty of useful advice about many aspects of running and fitness, etc. But without trying to sound patronising, I would just like to pass on my own salutory term regarding health/medical advice.

I am 57 yrs old, and had "let myself go" after being previously relatively fit with several half and full marathons experience in my early 50's. I started last April to try and get back to something like my fitness levels of a few years ago and had the goal of entering the Robin Hood Half Marathon in September.

I took things fairly conservatively, but progressed well, but in May I started to get a sore groin/upper-thigh area.

I embarked on a "self diagnosis" via the internet forums after reading the posts of many very well intentioned people or had experience of such injuries/issues.I took into account when the pain got worse, or eased off, etc,etc. I came to the conclusion that I should not run through the injury, lest I cause further damage, and took a rest from running for over a month. This was overwelmingly the conclusion from most people giving advice. Sadly, the soreness returned almost immediately.

So I decided to see a physio through my GP which , but it was apparent that I would not be able to make the half marathon as planned.

I fully expected the physio to tell me to lay off running for a further period of time and so was not looking forward to the prospect of almost having to start again in my quest to fitness 1 or 2 months later. Instead, she said that I was running with a slight inbalance in the strength of the relevant muscles and a real lack of flexibility down the back of my legs ( I spend all day sat at a desk or in the car). She gave me a group of simple exercises to do, several times a day for two weeks and said I should carry on running.

The soreness disapeared altogether after the 2 weeks, and I have had no issues since.

My physio said that groin problems can be one of around a dozen issues, many of which do not require a rest, merely strengthening and stretching. I am not going to give details of where the injury was, or the excercises, as that will go against what my message is.

Which is that we should not self diagnose an injury in complicated body areas such as knees, ankles and groins. Get proper medical advice.

Comments

• You are just a sample of one, though. I self diagnose all the time. I don't see a physio for every little tweak. I'd be in the poor house.

• Possibly, although I doubt it. The physio reckoned that ankle, knee and groin injuries are the most often incorrectly self-diagnosed. It took her around 30 minutes of pulling prodding and measuring before she came up with her diagnosis.

My physio appointment cost nothing and she has rang me every two weeks since to check up all is OK. Just "discharged me" now though. 

• Excellent. Wish we could all see a good physio for free. What a wonderful world you live in.

• I don't know why you are having a sarcastic swipe at swipe at me! It was an NHS physio via my GP - as explained in my original post.

Sorry, you are obviously happy with self diagnosis and that is fine. All I was trying to do was alert others, that listening to online advice from forums may be time wasting and self defeating.

• Is that some kind of Oxymoron? By taking your advice that taking advice on the internet is something not to do? Like I said, you are a sample of one, which proves nothing. Nice story, thoughimage

• I think you have some sort of chip on your shoulder to go along with all the other injuries you have apparently been suffering from.

I have given no advice and I have never said that my experience proves anything. I have just suggested that people take advice, rather than rely on self diagnosis and forum experts, of which you seem to count yourself among. But, as I have emphasised, unlike you think that a physio costs enough to put you in the poor house and you are clearly wrong as they are free through the NHS.

So calm down and check your facts before having a go.

• very wise words zz. The internet is indeed a source of many dangerous mis-diagnoses and not just with regard to running ailments. Added to which it is the cause of much unnecessary mental torment. 

• So hang on. Do I take advice from the internet or not? Then again if I take your advice I will also not be taking it??

• Can we just take advice from various sources and evaluate them by their source?

My experience of an NHS physio was outstandingly good, but I had to wait a while.

Seeing your GP is a bit of a no-brainer for anything that is giving you pain or causing anxiety! Highly qualified, accountable, their advice is free! Why would you not?

• Agreed. Very often the advice given on here is...see your doctor. A NHS physio is going to be very well qualified and experienced but waiting a long time for every little niggle isn't going to happen. I worry more about the private physios where mis-diagnosis seems to be commonplace.