Sub 3h15

Comments

• Exciting line up for VLM. So glad I'm not running - I'll be free to watch it on the tellyimage 

Ant, do you have a 4 hr siesta in the middle of your working day?

6miles tonight in the rain doing loops of the playing fields with 6x 30s efforts at 10k to 5k pace -  that's 2 runs for the week logged on Jantastic. Go team!

• Lorenzo - yarp, they've even got that there elastic trickery

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    There must be something about this team work as I could have easily bailed on a couple of runs over the last few days but didn't want to let the team down or if I'm honest be the first to Jack.

Great motivation, must be why my Jan, Feb, March running stats are the highest of the year over the past couple of years.

Some great training going on, keep it up people.
  • Great reps Abers - very consistent.

Gerard - 19.06 is a great time (about 6.10 or just under pace?), I'd be well pleased with that at the moment. Just remember you don't always get a PB every time you race.

Likewise Moof, the Jantastic team is a good incentive too get out there!

15 x 400m reps tonight down the park. Great wide paths (about 10m wide in parts) and it's, run 400m straight, then a bit of a jog / walk for 1 minute turn round and back again. Av splits were 1.23 (slowest 1.26 & quickest 1.19). A tough session to have to do that many reps & keep count! 9 miles in total including 2 miles w/u  & 3 miles w/d so a good session in the end image

• Nice reps KR - not enough fingers to count all those.

Out at a silly hour and did 12M @ 7:48mm. I think that's the earliest run I've ever done. Ever.

• Badbark - those are mightily impressive mile reps.
    Ant - that's a very long day, so you are excused the mega-early start.
    Steve - hope the heel's OK.
    BOTF - hope the lurgy doesn't last too long - don't forget you can play a joker in Jantastic this year.
    KR - good mileage.
    Abbers - good consistent 800m reps.
    GM - if you're disappointed with 19:06 then it just shows how much progress you've made.
    Rich - good varied session.
    Lorenzo - good sprinting in the hailstorm.
    SJ - I'm hoping I won't have to resort to laps of the field this year!
    KR - monster interval session - well done.
    4 mile recovery run d&d. Now off to get the horse and cart readyimage

• x-post Ant - impressive.

• Impressive reps KR and Abbers. GM -Thats a good time and a good effort.

Ant - if you are posting pre Gul O'clock it is indeed a silly hour. I just dont see at all how anyone can drag themselves out at something that begings with a 4 oclock and go for 12 miles. I thought that there was only one 4 oclock up until recently and that was just before you went home from work! 

10 for me yesterday with 20 mins at LT pace. A recovery run this am and 11 planned for tonight but legs are starting to feel the hills now.

• Excellent speedy work from KR and Ant is joining in with the dawn chorus - impressive levels of motivation.

Technique drills swim session with the tri club this morning - swimming at 6:30am is an acquired taste.

• Sounds like a heavy week Menna. What's the total miles target for the week?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - 19:06 is still decent for a 5k with a headwind, so don't be too down! Sounds pretty quick to me.

Rich - well done on the fartlek session, and thanks for the encouragement. A 3:15 debut would be fantastic, but the target range is a fair bit wider than that at the moment! Need to a) make sure the endurance is in place so I can convert up at the first time of asking and b) set a public goal after the Milton Keynes half when I'll have more of an idea what kind of shape I'm in.

TR - I find the 800s easier to run consistently than the miles. Probabaly because I'm not fit enough yet to hold the pace for longer! The 800s were all round the same flat loop too, whereas the mile reps last week were over a more undulating course, so some had more up than others. I'm encouraged by yesterday though. Looking at the HCL fixtures, you've got Woodgreen, Bramshaw and Fawley all coming to you! You do get a trip to Trojans later in August though, and an away game at Paultons too, which is another lovely ground just off junction 2 of the M27 but tucked away in a secluded tree-lined corner. We play some mid-week knockabout stuff there.

Good quicker stuff from SJ. Field a bit muddy? Tough sounding session from KR too.

Committed early running from Ant. I think you even beat Gul to it today!

More hard-sounding running from Menn, and yet more early morning activity from SJ. Do none of you lot sleep?!?

• Ant - a very early start indeed. Now you have set yourself a new benchmark

Menn - sounds like you are getting in a really good block of training. Impressive stuff. it is making me feel like a part timer

SJ - "Technique drills swim session" - just some foreign lingo to me that I don't understand

Rich26 - you are sounding happier about your sessions again - good news

I got myself another stalker. Walking into the gym last night to do my 5x1K @ 5K pace session, someone stopped me and spoke earnestly about the hamstring curls and single leg dead lifts I had been doing recently. This stalker didn't have video footage.

w.t.f ?

He had lots of advice for runners that was opposite to Stalker #1

Felling unsettled I managed to miscount my reps and ended up with an extra 1K. This session moves up to 1200 next week, then 1600 week after, at which point the emphasis is shifted to threshold  (The opposite to P&D)

• Minni wrote (see)

BOTF - how many Jantastic runs do you need to do?   Get some (plenty) night nurse and first defence and drug yourself up.  We'll work out a plan for you to get the runs in.image

Don't worry Minni, he isn't in our team. Off for a 14 now, one lap of Battersea Park should do, pity it is 6 miles there and another 6 back.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Of course - I forgot!

• Slokey - Totally shuffled but plan would get me to 55 including sundays half mara and a couple up and down through 0, 11, 14, 5, 5, 3, 17. I've been over 50 miles per week for the last 8 weeks now AR which is a big step up for me. I think I only got over 50 weeks 4 times in the whole of the previous campaign.

Jantastic is logged! Is there any value in logging your over runs? This week with doubles I will do 8 and depending if I do a recovery run after the race on Sunday night it may be 9?

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Mennania - l'd stick it on there , May help if it comes down to a tie break. Besides, it looks good.

I have some 1k reps to look forward to after work. Nice and wet out there, I can't wait.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

8 slow miles plodded in the rain. Don't envy you those 1k reps later Moof! Character building, or something.

• Moof - Agree with the team work thing. I ever so nearly bailed on a run yesterday, but then imagined the abuse I'd get on here and thought better of it!

Mennania - I'm sticking all my runs in  - I think that we might get extra points for more, but I might be wrong.

Abbers - Well done, they all count, even the wet ones!

PMJ  - Good line up for VLM elite. Slightly disappointed not to see Bekele there but it's a proper good field. This quote from the BBC Sport website sums it up:

"Kipsang is the fastest marathon runner in history, Mutai is the fastest man over the course and Kiprotic won Olympic gold on the course. It could barely be better opposition for Mo Farah on his debut."

Personally, I think Farah will probably break Steve Jones' British record, but I don't see him figuring at the very sharp end by the end. I hope I'm proved wrong though. Whilst he may have Salazar in his corner, he is on his debut and we all know on here how much experience counts for in the Marathon and you can't replicate the race easily in training.

But then Paula did ok on her debut didn't she...

• Oooh, forgot to add my training!

I've just been out and done 2m w/u 6x3mins off 2mins and 2m w/d. Added to my mini-commute run this morning, that brings up 10miles for the day. That session is a bit of a "Go to" session for me when I'm stuck as I've got it pre-programmed in my Garmin.

Coincidentally it appears in the plan this week so will be interesting to dig out what I've done it before in. Bring on the stats.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Some eye-watering weekly totals and quick times going on in here right now. I think I have a hip bursa issue so I've cut back a little, done loads of foam roller and stretching and taken some Ibuprofen. Seems to be helping.

Had a great spinning session last night. The bike computer told me I did 18 miles in 50 mins and there was a load of uphill too. The hip wasn't a problem at all.
    So, went out at lunchtime today and did a run of 7 miles at 6.55 pace. Felt nice and bouncy but the hip niggle returned after 3 miles. Not as bad as the past 2 weeks, so maybe my treatment of it is working?

Happy that I've done a decent-ish pace over a sort of respectable disatnce, I'll lay off the running until the 15 miler at LSR pace I have planned for Saturday. Fingers crossed the hip will be even better.

Will be interested to hear if others have had the bursa type pain on the outside of the hip that only comes on after 3-5 miles into a run?

SB

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

FINgers wrote (see)

This quote from the BBC Sport website sums it up:

"Kipsang is the fastest marathon runner in history, Mutai is the fastest man over the course and Kiprotic won Olympic gold on the course. It could barely be better opposition for Mo Farah on his debut."

The VLM course and the London Olympic (2012) course are rather different - at a rough guess only 3 miles are common to both courses.  And to think I pay my TV license fee for the BBC to give such poorly researched opinion...

Agree that Farah will find it very hard it's one of the toughest field ever assembled at the sharp end. Probably this race he will face competition stronger than ever before and 'anything can happen'.

Nice to see some faster paces being done.

My mediocrity continues with 7 with 3 at MP at lunchtime.  It was supposed to be 9 miles with 5 at MP but I bailed it as even a soft MP of 7:27 feels like 5K pace at the moment.  Strangely I ran to the gym 2.3 miles at 7:10 pace yesterday and that was absolutely fine.

• Bike it Yes I did read the BBC bit about the gold medal on the course and nearly spat my tea out over my keyboard. Very poor journalistic research but that said, Kiprotic is quick none the less.

• 14 at lunch was slower on average than last week (7:11 cf 6:58) but was much better paced. The first 7 averaged 7:22 and the back 7 averaged 6:59 so that is in line with P&D guidance but still too fast: MP+20 and MP+10 should be 7;27 average and 7:11 gives me a MP for 2:44.

P&D is really starting to kick in and making sense. Last year I did the up to 55 and if you do 55 in a week with a 20 and 2x5 mile recovery runs that is 30 miles so leaves just 25 for the last 3 runs which is fairly easy as 8 milers. At 70 miles, you get the same 20 and 2x5 and are left over with 40 miles for 3 runs which really pushes up the midweek MLRs. This week I have 18, 5, 14, 5, 12 day off and race padded to 9 miles.

When you look at P&D it seems light on long runs but when you start to do it, you suddenly start looking to weeks with shorter long runs.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I ran twice today and twice y/day. My body just realised that VLM training started.... 

• Twice a day would kill me! although have been cycling to work and it was into a gale this morning! would have been quicker running! image Have 9 to run tonight at 8:10mm.

sorry about the tweaks guys! they will wear off! RICE! worked on me... 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - adding miles on again ! or km ! ha ha.

KR - speedy running there on the 400s.

PMJ - agreed, I've said it loads of times when folks say PnD is short of long runs, its a plan written as a plan and has loads of endurance work in there.

Abbers - he played colts at Trojans last yr and actually played 2's at Paultons lat yr too, thats a lovely little ground. My youngest wil be 13 this summer and so old enough to play adults (with my permission), but hopefully he wont get asked much, so he can stick to his U13 team and the odd game making the numbers up for the U15 (they will have a very strong team - most of his last years U13 County Cup winning side move up to U15).

second BAC sesion today, up and down my 2M stretch for 12M with 3x15min/3min easy in the middle. No wonder those BAC folks are good, I thought 3x15min would be comfy-ish (I do that session on my turbo at times), but it was tough.

• Cold no better, no run again. At this rate I may have to do a double at some point to fit in my Jantastic runs for the week, and I've never done that before.

FINgers wrote (see)
    PMJ  - Good line up for VLM elite. Slightly disappointed not to see Bekele there but it's a proper good field. This quote from the BBC Sport website sums it up:

Personally, I think Farah will probably break Steve Jones' British record, but I don't see him figuring at the very sharp end by the end. I hope I'm proved wrong though. Whilst he may have Salazar in his corner, he is on his debut and we all know on here how much experience counts for in the Marathon and you can't replicate the race easily in training.

But then Paula did ok on her debut didn't she...

Kiprotich is a championship runner, a racer if you like, and his PB is quite a bit slower than Kipsang and Mutai. In fact he's only the 10th fastest in the field, so put in the pacemakers and he's unlikely to figure. In fact given that are are 6 sub 2:05 runners in the race I'd be surprised if Mo even makes the top 5, which sadly will be regarded as a failure by the media even though expecting him to beat a field like that on his first outing is to me rather unresonable. Will be interesting to see what Jeilan can do as well. Also keep an eye out for Ben Livesey. He guested in our XC league a couple of years ago and romped home minutes ahead of the field at every race, he also holds the course record at my parkrun (obviously his greatest achievement to date). He's improved a lot since then though, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him well up with the top Brits (Mo excepted).

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

The plan was originally to have the olympic race on the london marathon route, wasn't it? That's part of what D Bedford fell out with them over.. or something.. ?

• 9 miles done although got a little carried away 7:57mm average. Oops 

Really hard the way out into a Gale, reaped the benefits on the way home. Logged on jantastic!image

• PMJ/TR - Totally agree. This is the first time that I've followed P&D to the letter, and with one or sometimes two MLRs to back the LSR, that's plenty to keep you busy. Here we are in week 6, and already I look on this coming Sunday's 15-miler as a nice short treat after all this long-haul stuff. PMJ - If you can recover well and quickly enough, why worry if those miles came out a bit fast? It's all about being in shape to nai the next key session.

Slokey - At lunchtime I have a couple of hours free so I do make sure I sneak in a siesta, and when my first afternoon class (at a law firm) cancel , that siesta can be pretty substantial... 

Rich - See my comment to PMJ above!

My new Saucony Triumph 10s have arrived!!

SB - That is good going, hope that niggle sorts itself out - get it looked at, though, just in case.