Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I use a HRM when I'm easy running as it helps to tell me how fit I am. Running 7:20 easy pace will usually have me sitting around 15BPM which is in my 'easy/aerobic' zone. When I had 3 weeks off at Christmas I ran 7 miles @7:20 and my HR was av 172. So I monitored it over easy runs until it got back to normal. Then I had confidence I was back into the routine.

A muddy, wet, windy, cold track Tuesday. 5 x 3 mins, 5 x 2 mins, 5 x 1mins (half recovery). 5s @ tempo, 2s @ 10K, 1s @ 5k. Tough!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image Bus...I replied!

Unfortunately the site hasn't quite repaired the mailing, so it only sometimes shows the little "1" of a new message...maybe only when it's a new thread?

So if you send a mail...always check later to see if there's a reply!

(same to anyone else mailing image)

and what was the 26x1mile? At MP pace? Surely not, as that'd be the marathon! So what pace were the miles at? And presumably no recovery?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

So you did! Sorry!

Can't remember the exact details of the 26 x 1M, but it was no rec and very much quicker than my MP on each rep!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

26 loops isnt even the most mental training session on the Sub 3. Check out CharlieW's heroically mental 40 odd laps of a 1km field. He also trains on staircases of multi storey car parks when he's got a fell race coming up. Class.

11 featuring 5 miles at tempo tonight. 5 miles came out as 28:12 (6:01, 5:39, 5:31, 5:29, 5:32). Christ knows what that first mile was all about, felt a lot faster than 6:01 pace. Average 5:38 means things look on track for sub 74 at Wokijngham 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

more like what are the last 4 miles about! average to my 5mile pace, sheash! image

But if you can produce those last 4 so comfortably in training, with the last 3 a fair bit faster than you'll surely smash right into the 1.13s rather than sneak under  1hr 14.

• Impressive session Dachs. I might be able to do  a 5:39 one off mile rep. Kudos. 

I record HR data but tend to ignore it mostly due to pace based training. HR can be used to time RI on the track. I have used it on recovery runs to cap my effort. Retrospectively it can also indicate an illness build up. Some people can see this in advance from resting HR too. Not I. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Could be the first mile was a GPS thing Dachs if it felt similar to the last 4. Either way, bloody good tempo!

I get it for fell training for a southern runner, but I knew someone at my last work place who only ever trained in a multi-storey car park stair - just plain weird and a constant smell of piss!

Luckily, being 22 flights of stairs up to my desk I can incorporate a bit of that quite easily in the run up to hilly races image

• That has reminded me. Bus,  today I will PM you about fell shoes. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

slightly more humble than Dachs, but a nice morno 10 today, 7.02 pace. One of those many times you feel something very slight in one area, but no drama. 4 later than me done until Friday!

• All on http://www.steveway.co.uk/

Distance:    26.51 mi
    Time:    2:31:10
    Avg Pace:    5:43 min/mi

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/288195777

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Totally insane!!

Anyway, bugger, bugger, bugger image. Did 10.5 miles at lunch and the groin/top of quad problem I thought had just about gone reared it's ugly head again. Quite painful in the last two miles, but I couldn't stop and walk as I had to get back for a meeting. Always knew it could be touch and go trying to push the mileage up so quickly, but it did seem to be going OK. Icing it now and will see how it goes, but didn't feel good....

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I know you don't want to hear this Bus but pretty sure its the same adductor injury that's put me out for 6 weeks. Is it top of the quad or on the inside?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It was top of the quad toward the groin, which I had down as an adductor issue, but the pain now seems to be have 'moved' more toward the outside where the quad starts to join the hip - possibly the psoas if my Googling diagnosis is correct. By accident I have been doing psoas stretches anyway! Not sure whether this is referred pain, or the area of the actual problem tbh or why it might have moved, other than possible overcompensation or even if it something different!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bad news bus. You deserve a clean spell without injury niggles

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

doesn't sound too special Bus.  Get on that RICE plan! Obviously with some S for stretching too.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Dean, though I'm probably my own worst enemy and should have dealt with it by taking a decent time off right at the beginning.

Am doing SG - the compression bit is somewhat tricky in that area mind, and have to be careful with the ice image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Could be TFL but I'm no expert. Strange that it's 'moved' to the outside but I guess it could well be due to overcompensating when it was on the inside.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

first resort always has to be to see how it settles. Don't fear the worst or do too much internet research, as inevitably you'll think the worst!

I'm sure we've all had some ache before, looked the net up and found even a "grade 3" version would be 6 weeks out. And then we're back a couple of days later!

• Easy 9 in 7:29 pace. Calfs are very tight after last night. Easy running now till Sunday. Recovery 4 tomorrow, rest Friday and an easy 3 Saturday is the plan. No idea how this half will turn out! image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for you Bus. hopefully nothing serious. 

just some easy running my end. 4 and 6 doubles for the last two days nothing quicker than 7 min pace. Probably do a 400 session tomorrow and then take it easy until a multi terrain 10k on Sunday.

That Steve Way puts some miles in! Jeeeesus! :-/

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers guys, will test tomorrow after a sleep and see what happens.

Looking at Marigold's blog, the most impressive thing to me (mad interval sessions aside!) is his Purbeck runs. I've run over those hills a few times, and the pace he does 22 miles (as his first run of the day as well!) over that terrain is just absolutely phenomenal.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Bus - Dont forget that he's a 2:18 man. I was going to say that he does that 26M multi-lapper at about 6mm pace, but look like it was a bit quicker.

I did his 3x15min/3min easy session at 6am this morning, with a w/u and w/d it came in at 12M and was pretty tough. No wonder BAC has so many fast marathon folks as today only had 45mins of work time, it builds up to about 70 minutes.

• Get well soon Bus!

Gave up trying to sleep at 0530. Absolutely shattered but have proper delirious dreams. Manflu day 4. Throat on fire.

• That sounds like actual flu, Cat5, not just manflu.

Bus, hope the groin feels better today but if not: rest!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

I did his 3x15min/3min easy session at 6am this morning, with a w/u and w/d it came in at 12M and was pretty tough. .

They were a staple of my training over the summer (with 90sec recoveries), building to 3x 20mins. When on holiday in August, I had to fit them in early morning too so as not to disrupt family time.

connect.garmin.com/activity/388317357

Am currently doing them on an eliptical machine which is fun (not)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not fun, but impressively dedicated Johnas!

Iron - that sounds like a serious dose - tuck up warm in bed and stay there until its gone!

Ran very easy this morning and the groin/psoa/adductor/leg thing (!) just about held up OK. I could feel it, but it never reached the point where I thought it was getting worse or I had to stop. Unusually though, I have been able to feel it whilst sitting at my desk, so need to decide whether to risk the run home - otherwise I have a bit of a quandary how to actually get there! Either way, I've got an F-off tomorrow planned! 

Bet Poole parkrun has some fast times image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, only you would even try a run after such pain yesterday!!

in the best spirit of it, make sure you do F OFF tomorrow image

Off out tonight, like some kind of man about town. Will try not to think about the 2.5miles at 10k pace, 3mins, 3x0.5miles 5k session tomorrow morning.

I'm guessing once the 10k bit is done I'll be loving it!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Johnas - impressive if you were doing that session regulalry. I often do 3x15 or 3x20 on the turbo so thought it would be comfy. If you fancy a change on the eliptical the schedule has a 20min, 5x4min, 20min session in a few weeks.

• I'm racing Sunday so it is S OFF for me. The Metros XC (the wonderfully named Mad Bess Woods in Ruislip) has been cancelled (due to bad weather: to be fair a 3 lapper with several hundred people on narrow paths will be fine for runners but leave a mud-bath for other users) so the series suddenly looks very different with 2 events to go instead of 3.

The league points are summed up discarding your worst score so we have so far 4 wins and a 2nd from 5 races (technically we have 2 wins and a second and two provisional results) and first or second on Sunday will guarantee we win the league.

• Bus, hope it all gets sorted, it's not the same on here when you're not flying.

Same for you Johnas, I miss your eye watering tempo sessions.

Nice easy 4 tonight, very slow, but what was needed to recover from a tough early weeks running.