Sub 3h15

Comments

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

PMJ- I see you ran the Tadley xc at the weekend, the young lad who came 4th (Peter C from NAC) has spent the last 6 months nicking all my crowns on Strava. I've no chance of getting any of them back as he doesn't hang around! Great effort from you.

Go easy on the pace SB if you're carrying a niggle. Plenty of time yet.

7.5 miles tonight with 3 x 1k then 3 x 800, I use the advance workout setting on my 305 and have the pace set at 6.00 to 5.40 pace for 800s and above up to mile reps. I really struggled to hold the pace for the 1000s with the last one dipping above 6mm pace and the watch kept nagging me to go faster. I was so knackered for the first 800 it took 3.12 to complete, pulled back the last 2 for 2.54 and 2.58.

Bottom line is I'm not fit enough at the moment and will have to alter my paces and Garmin to suit. Still a tough work out completed and I was definitely in the Vo2 max zone.

• AR, do you spray Lynx body spray over yourself before you go to that gym? Saw a short documentary about that on the telly.

Good stuff Menna, you'll be flying come April.

Sounds like a hard session Moof 

lazy boy Ant! Get out and knock out another run!!

BikeIt, have you eased off on the strength work now or are you still going full bore?

After being in the pool at 6:30am, I'm currently on my spinning bike watching the footy at 9:30pm - another 20mins to go! 

• Ant- your right, as long as I can do tomorrows workout with no problems then it's okay to run a little faster.

not really sure the paces on my schedule are suitable in this weather. I guess that getting as close to the paces as possible is good enough!

running in full regalia eg( tights,long sleeve top, jacket, hat, gloves, buff over the face!) seems to be a hell of a lot harder than running in shorts and vest!

Roll on spring!

I so wish I could go for a run at lunch times! some of you guys are soooo lucky! I don't get a run till 7 at night! Guess it's good to be running tired?? gives the body practice at forcing yourself through those last few miles of the marathon!

Phew there's a few thinkers there!

• FINgers - 'fraid you don't get bonuses for exceeding the target, just an "I feel smug" sensation!

Hope things are OK with you SB - sounds a bit odd.

When I saw the headline about the quality of the line up at VLM, I thought that they were talking about the participants from this thread! 

10.5 miles with 9 miles at MP for me first thing this morning. Felt quite tough and would like to have gone a bit faster, but the MP section averaged around 7:15 pace, so not too bad.

• Philip-tough week for you

oo-50- twice a day , might try it but no need  yet.

moof- good fast reps.

I did some reps too after work 8 miles total with 8x400m thrown in , I was aiming for 90s with 50 s slow jog rec but started too fast at 87s then most were in the 89-91 sec range.First time i've exceeded the paces in a long time. image

• Just logged 3 runs on Jantastic, I couldn't seem to log Monday's run on Monday so had to hold off. 

• moof wrote (see)

PMJ- I see you ran the Tadley xc at the weekend, the young lad who came 4th (Peter C from NAC) has spent the last 6 months nicking all my crowns on Strava. I've no chance of getting any of them back as he doesn't hang around! Great effort from you.

I know him from other threads (posts as PC) and we had a good char before and afterwards, though he was out of sight very soon during the race.

We got a name check on MT for jantastic, second team overall when they looked.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant - I have the Triumph 10's and have been wearing them for longer runs the past few weeks or so. I am not 100% convinced they are better than the 9's yet. Lighter yes, but I can't seem to get used to them yet. Maybe it's because most of  my running is done in Kinvara 3's and Fastwich 5's. Have to say I found the Saucony ride 5's great for distance training but they didn't last long. Anyway would be interesting to see what you think.

No running today after last night's 5k but back to it tomorrow.

KR - Totally understand that one can't expect to pb every race but am trying to push myself as much as I can and had an interesting chat with a friend and fellow runner last night after the race ( he is in his 50's now but still holds the Jersey record for 5,000 and 10,000 - 14:40 and 30:x) He said to me, aim higher and you will eventually see how high you can go, that's basically what I am trying to do but whether I get where I want to be is another matter. He barely runs now but still managed 19 mins last night. Nice reps by yourself btw, sounds like a killer sesh.

• This thread is flying at the moment!

Tough session TR for you with those 3 x 15 minutes!

Gerard - some good advice from your friend. Always believe in yourself and as they say trust in the training.

Not much to report tonight, just a 5.25 miler @ 7.52 pace whilst my son had his football training.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Talking about Mo Farah, I'm just finishing reading his autobiography. When you see how determined he is and how well he plans his running career I'd not be too surprised to see him win the VLM- certainly wouldn't write him off.

Wasn't expecting to run today but I'm up early to sneak a 5 miler- hopefully should get close to 50 this week but still need the illusive long run..  

• Mennania - clocking up the miles.
    SJ - very dedicated with the swimming drills.
    AR - time to change gym?
    Abbers - good plodding.
    FINgers - nice 6x3mins session.
    SB - sensible to ease off - hope the foam-roller does the trick.
    Bike It - don't sweat it. You'll probably be back on top form just as quickly.
    PMJ - good pacing.
    TR - 3x15min/3min easy sounds like a tough one.
    Rich - nice to do something a little bit faster sometimes. Weather is still mild here, so the tights and long sleeve tops are still in the drawer.
    Moof - well done on that session.
    Lorenzo - great MP run.
    Leslie - good work there on the 400m reps.
    KR - nicely ticking over.
    OO - I'm reading Mo's autobiography at the moment - don't spoil it by telling me how it endsimage
    Steady session today - 11 miles at an avg. pace of 7:32m/m.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy - they only seemed to let you log this week once last week had closed at 8 am Tuesday.  Annoying for us OCD types.

I've logged this morning's run.  Only 3 miles recover, nothing flash like Gulimage and see we're top of the medium teams.  Good work.

3 x 1m @ HMP for me last night felt nice.  Its a pity you can't take recovery after each mile in a race.

Looking forward to catching up (not during the race though) with Rase Jase at the weekend.  He should be easy to spot with No 1 on his vest!

• Morning All,

First run of the day was a bit of a struggle! Very weary legs after yesterday. Banjos come to mind.

8-10 miles planned at lunch. Going to take those very easy.

Just logged my run on Jantastic and I see we're now playing with the Big Boys, we've just gone beyond the 20 members mark and now are classified as a "Large Team!"

OO-50 wrote (see)

Talking about Mo Farah, I'm just finishing reading his autobiography. When you see how determined he is and how well he plans his running career I'd not be too surprised to see him win the VLM- certainly wouldn't write him off.

Would love for him to do well OO, but I just can't see him being able to compete first time out to the standard that is required. But he is a clever racer so I really hope I'm proved wrong.

• Talking Jantastic, it was funny this morning when I went to log my run - I got message saying "are you sure you've done 6 already? You can only log them when you've done them!".

Cheeky beggars - Of course I'm sure!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - good pacey MLR there.

OO50 - a double yesterday and already an early 5 today. Consistent consistency and all that...

TR - those BAC sessions sound tough. Should put you in the hurt box though, which I reckon you relish! Any chance of your eldest pushing on to the 1st team this season, or is it a year or two early for that?

BotF - look after that cold.

Rich - well done on the 9, even if it was a little fast.

SB - nice 7, but take care of that hip. Don't let it become a constant problem.

Moof - that's a hard sounding session, and your fitness will improve. It's still only mid-Jan.

SJ - good double aerobics yesterday.

Lorenzo - 9 @ MP already? Coming along nicely.

Leslie - quick 400s there.

KR - a sneaky 5 squeezed in, making the most of opportunities!

Gul - good steady run.

Minni - 13 x 1 mile reps with ~15/20 seconds rest. It would be an interesting approach to racing a HM! The reps would obviously have to be slightly faster than HM pace though...

FINgers - go easy on that lunchtime run. Don't overdo things!

Tempo session planned for today, then a rest day tomorrow. Looking forward to that; legs are feeling a little weary, gradually adapting to 6 runs a week from the previous 5.

• Seems our 21st member is MtR, formerly a regular on the sub-3 thread but no sign of him using RW recently.

We are currently 2nd of complete teams and first of large teams.

I am now officially a local hero, always knew I was.

http://www.jantastic.me/wp-content/themes/jantastic/images/badge-local-hero.png

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

PMJ - so long as he's not a slacker he's welcome!  

Great news about being up there with the big boys.  All the more reason to make sure we stay on top. image

I get a location postion on my profile page but not sure if that's location as in the area I live or location as in UK.  There doesn't seem to be any tables linking to this.  Or has anyone found them?

Abbers - I was thinking more about a couple of minute rest!

• Minni wrote (see)

I get a location postion on my profile page but not sure if that's location as in the area I live or location as in UK.  There doesn't seem to be any tables linking to this.  Or has anyone found them?

They mentioned that soon you will see others in your location and can rival them and see where you rank

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Minni wrote (see)

They mentioned that soon you will see others in your location and can rival them and see where you rank

I don't even get a location position image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Maybe that's because you're on the edge of a precipice? image

I'm glad they'll announce that soon PMJ. I'm currently 7th in whatever it is and I need to know what I'm up against to climb higher!

• I'm #1 local position.  I don't care what it means; I am number 1 at something image

A run of the mill tempo session today, 11 miles with 7M @ 6:13. Next week 8M

This time around it felt very routine, and heart rate much improved on last week. I took great care not to go further after my very naughty extra 1k rep earlier in the week which still irritates me as its the first blot on my Hanson copy book.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

AR - "run of the mill", "very routine" 7M @ 6.13! I wish... good session.

Absolutely filthy conditions on my lunchtime tempo. A series of very heavy rain/hail showers, with accompanying wind and cold, resulted in flash floods on the local roads. Needless to say, it's now dry as I sit here looking out of the office window... in the circumstances, quite pleased with how things went. 1M warm up, then 4 "brisk" aiming at 6:30s, so 26:00, and 1M cool down. The tempo section came out at 26:08, comprising of 6:30, 6:25, 6:23 and 6:50 (into the last of the wind/rain/hail). That's almost identical to the aggregate time of my 4 x 1M intervals from last week, but without the recoveries, so I'll take that. Had to wring out my kit when I got back...

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Minni - LEAVE RJ ALONE image

Nice running folks

My first enjoyable run in ages, just 5m in the Peak District hills. Been paying the price for the December maras and the Xmas man flu.

• Number 1 here - local hero AND mojo badges earned!  Whatever that means..... I'm assuming its a good thing.

• Poacher wrote (see)

Minni - LEAVE RJ ALONE image

Or at least trim your nails.

Abbers - Nice tempo sesh, especially in those conditions. That is some progress you're making.

AR - You're obviously No1 in the gym to that bloke who wants to be bezzie mates. Excellent run-of-the-mill stuff from you, there.

I'm #1 for Spain, apparently! There are 45 of us - I found it on the results page, where there's a "Location"  drop-down menu.

5 miles easy today, but which came out considerably quicker than yesterday's 12-miler when i was trying much harder. Peculiar stuff.

May well give my new wheels their debut tomorrow in a 10-miler. Is that asking for trouble?

• I should have said  'run of the mill' is the local lingo for a treadmill run in my #1  universe

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I'm starting to get very jealous of people posting paces that start with a 7:xx let alone 6:xx.  You'll all have start to use P&D terminology for pacing like LT, PMP, E, etc for now.image

SJ - I've knocked the olympic bar stuff on the head for now and just doing bodyweight and kettlebells  2x per week.  This is so the running volume can build back up.

Another 7miles this lunchtime.  Pace E.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Poacher - sounds like a lovely run. Must get back to the hills, but not sure when that's going to fit in with other life plans. Maybe the week after London when it's still the Easter hols, and a trip up to the B-in-L near Kendal.

Ant - strange how sometimes runs just feel harder or easier for no apparent reason. Hoping for an easy-feeling day at the Romsey 5 in 10 days! Thanks for the comments. Not quite sure where miles 2 & 3 came from, but hopefully there's more progress to come over the next 2-3 months.

BI - you're commendably dedicated to your strength & conditioning work. Must get into better habits with my own home-based circuits, which I don't do often enough. Building up the easy miles again nicely.

• So I did my run at lunch. Canned it a little earlier than planned. 6miles pace E. In fact VE or perhaps SVEIWMLASS*

*So Very Easy It Was More Like A Slow Shuffle.

Not a great one - legs feel quite fatigued.

In all seriousness, I decided to call it a day as I want to make sure I'm at least a little fresh for tomorrows tempo and I have still done 9ish miles today.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Sounds like a sensible call FINgers, even allowing for the effort level of SVEIWMLASS. Not entirely convinced that one will catch on? image