Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

12.5M for me at lunchtime.  8 miles sunny-ish, 4.5 miles in the p!ss!ng rain.  Beaucoup de shoamage (sp?) thereafter.  Pace a solid if unspectacular 8.06m/m, which will hopefully reassure BI that we're not all speedsters at the moment!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Jools - ah yes, shoamage! Fair bit of that here too. Got some very strange looks. Think I'm right in saying you're not running VLM, but what's your next target?

Just to confirm, in my 46 mile week, only 7.5 of them are quicker than 8m/m (Tuesday's 800s and today's 4M tempo). The vast majority are easy. No way I could run fast all teh time and not break.

• Under Hansons I am currently running:

84% E
    11% PMP
    5%  5K

MP miles will increase over the weeks, 5K will drop away and substituted by LT pace.

Hanson takes a lot from Daniels in balancing the easy with the MP and Speed, and the good thing for me is that I know the %'s I should be working too week by week, and when to mess with quality miles if I grow the Easy stuff substantially.

I guess quite often we report the long or the fast, whereas the reality is we are all grinding out the miles day to day.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Abbers: main target was going to be the Bath Half, but that is now a mere 6.5 weeks away, and I doubt I'll be fully fit by then.  I'll see how that goes and then either the Maidenhead Easter 10 (April) or the Bristol 10k (May) or even the Bupa 10000 (late May, and a road 10k despite being labelled a 10000) will become the main target!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools  - What is the target for your 10k, the main one that is?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sub 38.30 and as close to 37.59 as I can manage. PB is 38.51.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Excellent, you will do it!

• AR - That's some general pace you train at, but then its some pace you race at too!!

Some nice stuff being done by the gang, I have a couple of badges too - I was #3 in my area last time I checked. Off for an as slow as I feel like 5 miler in a bit, and if im still fatigued take the short cut to make it 4.

• Most of my runs are around 8:15 to 8:30 range , with last week 1 flat-out parkrun and 2 hard miles of intervals so only 5 quality miles and none  of the others have even hit my target marathon pace yet in the last week but I'm not worried yet...not much anyway.image

• Joolska wrote (

Beaucoup de shoamage (sp?)

shoaming: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shoaming

I am also trying to getcarolbomb into more everyday use

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=carolbomb

• TRTR ✭✭✭

MtR used to run some of the (VLM) way with me, I odnt think hes even kept us his GFA now.

Abbers - that sounds like another more balanced run, - if the last bit was weather affected. He won't make 1sts, not that that's a problem, and I wouldnt want him put under that much pressure anyway.

Minni - aggreed, 13x1M with 30sec rest. I've done 10 in training, but reckon I could do 13 with a number on.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with keeping the pace nice and slow Leslie H, most of my runs are about 8mm pace.

I'm doing two quality sessions a week at the moment which is more than enough for me. Six running days and one easy xt day (bike), On the Tuesday I'm alternating an interval vo2 max session one week with a tough hill session the next and every other week on the Friday I'm running a LT run, the weeks I'm not running LT I plan to put in a few sets of HMP in my long run.

All the rest is run at an easy pace which pads it up to 50+ miles. Simple (in theory)

A double for me today, 4 this morning and 3 after work all at plod pace. 5 runs so far this week and #1 on Jantastic locally. Get in!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

How long is your lunch hour Jools?!! Good to see you posting a good solid run.

I've often thought about doing a long run, of say 20 miles, alternating between 1m MP / 1m easy.  I think that would be a good way to tick the miles off but I've never heard it mention in any schedules - there's probably a good reason for it!  I'm going to try it when I'd making my own plan for the Yorkshire marathon.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    moof wrote (see)

A double for me today, 4 this morning and 3 after work all at plod pace. 5 runs so far this week and #1 on Jantastic locally. Get in!

I think my location for Jantastic must be wrong.  I'm now in 19th position and I live in the middle of nowhere!

• quite a good session tonight.

warm up, 3 miles in 22:30 and 3 miles at 20:30. still feels really fast!

Might have to tweak my goal marathon time if the pace feels this hard closer to the day!

MOOF, LESLIE -My pace is mostly ran at a supposed slow pace 8:10-9:00 and a few harder sessions thrown in for good measure. Although I am following the schedule RW3:15 to the tee! I do find the harder sessions particularly tough! also tempo and steady runs are feeling really fast at the moment. 

Abbers- hope your enjoying the schedule? It's starting to put more miles now! wish I could start to feel the benefits soon? but I guess I won't reap the benefits without putting in the miles!

Day off tomorrow and doing Sundays 16 on Saturday.

Minnie- your putting in a lot of good sessions! doing well for the Jantastic team!image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Minni- I think people must have better things to do around these parts, gives a saddo like me a chance to hit top spot!

• I'm #1 in my area too! yippee!! But for how long?????

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Your the man Rich!!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Minni: I'm self-employed.  The no paid sick leave, no paid holiday, no pension contributions unless I make them myself, etc., kind of sucks, but the ability to take advantage of a day out of court by getting my MLR done in daylight is a plus.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Try clocking in for a living Jools, it's not exactly a barrel of laughs.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

4 Gnarly but enjoyable miles tonight turned out to be 7:4x pace. Wind was force 7 and the outside where I live looked pretty sinister. Got sprayed by the waves but kept my distance from there.

Bike it - It's mid only Jan, you've still got a few months to get where you want to be, think of it as a restoration process! Without meaning to sound corny but keep on believing and it will come back!

Jools - Sounds like a fair trade off to me, I should have run today as it was sunny and dry.

Rich - 3 miles at 6:50mm pace in training sounds good to me, I bet a month down the road those same miles will feel less speedy.image

AR - Have you got any 10k races pencilled into your Hanson plan?

Ant - I'd say one thing I haven't experienced from the 10's are blisters. Took them for a spin tonight and they felt ok. Think I'm going to invest in Kinvara 4's.

• Hi Gerard

Sounds like another bracing run in the elements

No 10k's for me, just one raced HM and one HM run at MP. The Hanson coach who set the plan was keen to keep the racing to a minimum due to the disruption to the schedule. This also seems to be the case with the Hanson-Brooks elites. I did suggest a cheeky 20M race but that fell on deaf ears.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

AR - Ah ok, thought there might be one swifty 10k in there! Showing great restraint, well done!

• LeslieH - sounds like you baking a good cake with that paceimage

Excellent double today moof! You certainly are busy with that weeks running & bike.

Rich26 - Good run tonight, although I would have run those warm up miles slower and closer to 8min mile pace. I think with the RW 3.15 schedule, it has you running 5/6 times a week, which is tough anyway. But with time the tougher sessions will be more bearable as you go on. It's all about building up week after week of consistent training.

AR - there are some people who don't race at all in the build up to a marathon. I personally believe you can keep an edge to your running doing 2 - 3 races in a campaign but mostly un tapered. I'm planning a half in March as a race, then maybe the Ashby 20 as a training run with MP miles.

Good MLR tonight (if Thursday is still midweek?) of 11.6 miles. First 5 were steady 7.52 pace then the next 5 @ HM pace of 6.18, 6.24, 6.23, 6.33 & 6.18 followed by a 1.6 steady jog home. In reality I think it was faster than HM pace, but it felt ok so I just went with it.

• Minni - those pre-race sessions always feel nice, don't they? Good luck at the weekend.
    FINgers - nice and easy does it.
    Abbers - well done on finishing that tempo run - enjoy your rest day.
    PMJ - good film. Wasn't Peter Capaldi in it?
    Minni - where do you set up your location?
    AR - that dreadmill tempo session must look very impressive - any comments yesterdayimage
    Poacher - what's it like in the Peak District at the moment?
    Ant - running is a funny old business.
    Bike It - you're dedication to the strength work is exemplary.
    Jools - nice lunchtime run - I thought you meant chômage at first!
    Moof - good double.
    Rich - nice run.
    KR - cracking run - MLR in my book as I thought M stood for Medium?
    6 easy miles @ 8:15 m/m d&d - pace E?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

another early one for me, 6 runs in 4 days ans should get to 50 easily this week. Anyone doing the naked parkrun this w/end? I'm think of predicting 18:15 see if that motivates me.

I'd love to get back below 37 in a 10k this year so I'll try at least one before VLM.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Moof - doing well with the doubles.

Minni - the alternate easy/MP miles in an LSR sounds an intriguing prospect. Any reason why that wouldn't appear in a schedule?

Rich - good session. It's only mid-Jan, there's plenty of time for the pace to come. So far, so good with the schedule. It's not disimilar in content/structure to what I was doing previously for my HM campaigns, but with more volume, 6 runs a week instead of 5 and a better variety of harder sessions. Enjoy your rest day!

Jools / Moof - pros and cons to all jobs & working environments. Don't think there's a perfect solution, or we'd all be doing it!

GM - a steady 4 in more rubbish weather. Good on you for getting out there.

KR - impressive pace in the middle of your MLR.

Gul - the obligatory early miles, and joined by OO today too.

Inspired by BI, it was circuits/strength work at home for me last night. Will do more of the same tonight as it's a scheduled rest day, so the legs get a day off.

• Also-ran wrote (see)

Under Hansons I am currently running:

84% E
    11% PMP
    5%  5K

MP miles will increase over the weeks, 5K will drop away and substituted by LT pace.

Hanson takes a lot from Daniels in balancing the easy with the MP and Speed, and the good thing for me is that I know the %'s I should be working too week by week, and when to mess with quality miles if I grow the Easy stuff substantially.

As far as I can see the simple way of looking at marathon training is that you are customising your body in a particular (and somewhat extreme) manner. We all have fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. Your slow twitch are what we use for the bulk of the marathon but when they tire, we recruit fast twitch. It is a bit more complicated as there are two types of fast twitch, type 2a and type 2b. Type 2b are set in their ways but type 2a can act as either fast or slow.

When we run, we don't actually do anything to our bodies other than beat them up. When we go to bed and sleep, the pixies come out and repair the damage and, if we are lucky, they actually do a better job than we started with. In reality, we have entirely diofferent bodies when we run the marathon to those we stared with months ago. if someone disceted us, they could tell we are marathon runners (and not just by looking at toenails, feet etc).

Same applies to other systems such as lungs, heart, liver (glycogen) etc.

Once you think this way, then most plans make sense. All you have to do is convince the body it needs to rebuild itself.

moof wrote (see)
    Try clocking in for a living Jools, it's not exactly a barrel of laughs.

I used to work in a mixed environment where some people were paid by the hour and others were salaried so we all clocked in and out. It as the most depressing thing ever as you got an exact record of the hours you worked and a comparison with the 37.5 you get paid for. I'd typically be in before 7 and leave after 6. Now, in a different job I still do similar hours but with the internet etc I am just at home for some of the hours and they aren't recorded so it doesn't depress me so much.

• Kr- yes a nice cake and I do like cake image 5 miles at faster than hm pace ..nice work.

Also-ran -just one raced HM and one HM run at MP - I like the sound of this ,might give it a go.

00-50 -50 mile weeks and a 37 could well be yours again.image

8 miles last night after work for me at E pace.

• Bit of strength work for me too Abbers.

I was taken into the big boys weights area by Stalker#1 at the gym to be shown some proper technique. Most uncomfortable to be surrounded by a gaggle of muscle encased meat heads who were all no doubt wondering what a whippet was doing in their area.  Far happier doing this sort of thing at home using my wifes pink dumbells