Complete beginner seeking advice

Hello there

I'm thinking of taking up running. I've always fancied it but somehow, never tried. I'm 42, normal weight, a gym goer, 3 or 4 times a week.

But even at the gym, for carido it's a bike or xtrainer! I can't explain it, like I have a blind spot for the treadmills!

I'm looking for some advice regarding a gradual training programme to follow, if anyone has any good resources?

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• I'd take a look at these for a start. Be warned if you hang around here long enough someone will talk you into a marathon or some thing sooner or later. image.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

• Sounds like the first thing for you is to go outside.- No need to change the treadmill blindspot.-

There are loads of training plans out there.-

Build up slowly and run at a far slower pace than you expect( It's not run for the bus running,  you should just about be able to hold a conversation).

Run walk works well for lots of people,- between lampposts or for timed segments is usually the way it's done.-

generally, just get out there and do a bit.- but try not to leave yourself broken for days afterward and don't push yourself so hard that you dread your training runs or you'll stop...

I also agree so much with the park run for motivation and finding people at a similar level to you.

Oh, and once you're sure this is something you're going to keep up to ( or the moment you start getting twinges in feet/shins/knees) get yourself to a proper running shop ( think runners need not JJB sports) and get some shoes that suit your gait.

• Thanks for the ideas. I do actually have runners shoes, fitted to my gait. My other half is a runner and so when I needed new ones for the gym, she made me get these from a running shop!

• Hi, i started running just before christmas and am just doing 5k reasonably comfortably with one or two short walks in between.  absolutely loving it! 

i'm 32 with 2 small children (and my husband works at sea 6 months of the year) so always made excuses that i didnt have time etc but that is not the case with running as its just an hour.  feeling better abouf myself and just signed up for charity 5k in february and planning on doing a 10k in july and half marathon in october if all goes to plan

anyway, any advice on building up my distances would be greatly appreciated and its really inspiring reading these forums and hearing other peoples stories

any

• It's not rocket science it really is a case of going slow, and just keeping it steady. Control your breathing and if you are getting out of breath then just slowwwwwwww down. 

Going further isn't about speed it's just putting once foot in front of the other and keep on plodding