Sub 3h15

Comments

• Nice result OO and top Rozzer bothering Moof

Gul - you must have set of around 4am? Running at that time would give me the jitters image.

I have had a beet it today - I have always PBd when using the stuff, but that is probably because to get Beet it in for a race means I am taking it quite seriously anyway.

Xpost - good lsr there Ric

• Well done those of you who have sneaked in the long run already.

Good stuff, OO - we've come to expect it from you, though.

Of course I'm very tempted to try the beetroot stuff, but as I think said purple monstruosity is just about the only food I actively dislike, I think maybe I'd prefer to just run a couple of minutes slower...

I've got used to the PoerBar Gels now, but in a big race I take what I'm given, having never had any stomach issues. On a long run I plan a route to take in drinking fountains - the very thought of lugging around one of those hand-held bottles! I see people with them every time I go to England and it never ceases to amaze me.

Bike It - Yes, funny, isn't it, about the shoes? So far I really like the Triumph 10s - I notice the better cushoining already. Watch this space, though, and good luck finding That Perfect Shoe!

• Put me in the beetroot juice fan club - the rest of the family can't stand it so I have to go into quarantine to have it if anyone else is up and about.

Love the phone story Moof - they'll be watching you from now on.

Great WAVA score OO - don't blame you for being chuffed with that.

Bonkers start time from Gul this morning, but on the other hand you don't feel as though you've eaten into the day at all with that kind of routine.

Managed to catch up on the last couple of Marathon Talk podcasts while in the car yesterday. Great to hear a mention for TCCST on the latest show (we're back to second in the large team tables, but we must have one of the highest runs / runner scores) - did I catch a bit of praising of our very own Race Jase in the previous episode?

Rest day for me yesterday prior to a hilly 16 miler this morning - 4 miles w/u then tried to put down the hammer running up the Box Hill zig-zags. A mile's rest then about 6 miles worth of 1 min fast / 1 min slow reps, then a couple of miles easy before putting the effort in again on the last stretch (including a pretty brutal 1/4 mile of 1 in 5 hill) before passing Mrs L who was just setting out on her morning run.

Celebrated this afternoon by popping out to get a new pair of Wave Inspires.

Happy days all round.image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Did someone say Swiss chard? Grow loads of it myself.

Top running OO.

My feet really hurting at the ankles. Think I'll be wearing my trail shoes from now even for the roads. Or maybe I should try barefoot running - no on second thoughts I can't afford the physio bills.

Thanks Ant for your comments - I had 2 pairs of Triumph 10. Very good for me. I got a hang up on them after getting injured wearing them though. Still they are my top candidate for my next shoe.

Happy running all
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Swiss chard sounds well dodgy! Does it involve sun lamps and blacked out windows?

I bought some vacuum packed beetroot, been in my fridge for a month now...

Great long runs guys, my turn tomorrow.

• My local shop have nike Pegasus 29s on sale for £29.00 - Anyone tried them?

• Swiss chard = acelgas in Spanish, I eat it (them) a lot as it's (they're) very popular over here, more so than spinach. Maybe that's why I'm such a brilliant runner. Maybe.

Bike It - Sorry to hear you got injured wearing Triumphs - not surprising that you got a hang-up about them. I was convinced my foot problems were due to the Triumph 9s, which I had 4 pairs of. To be honest, though, it would be surprising that a pair of neutral shoes should knacker you - I'm sure (and I hope) it was something else...

I've been using the Triumphs right through from the 5s with a couple of Mizuno Wave Rider 13s (my favourites, ever) and Pegasus (too insubstantial for me) in between. It would be nonsense, then, to say I'm not completely happy with them, and yet I always have the feeling that I'm still searching for That Perfect Shoe For Me. I tried Brooks Ghost and gave them away after 100miles, they were agony on my knees...Maybe running barefoot is the answer - it would be much more simple - and cheaper!

I got worn out just reading about your Box Hill run, Lorenzo! Where do you "pop out" and buy shoes from?

• Mennania wrote (see)

My local shop have nike Pegasus 29s on sale for £29.00 - Anyone tried them?

I have had about 20 pairs of Nike pegasus, 3 seem to be 29s at the moment. £29 is great, on-line option?

• Mennania - x-post - I've always liked Pegasus, especially after using more clunky shoes but in recent years (27-29) while very comfortable and light, they were just not quite good enough for the longer stuff, and I can't help thinking they were designed more for just posing in. I've got three pairs in the wardrobe that I still wear all the time in summer and they look great.

My not getting on with them that well might have something to do with being tall and heavy, of course. A lighter chap would probably love them, especially over shorter distances. For 29 quid they're a must, though...

• For the green-fingered among us:

Health-boosting nitrates

Nitrate-rich vegetables lower your blood pressure and may also have other cardiovascular benefits. Your best bet is leafy greens (or the roots of plants with leafy greens, like beets). Some top sources (bear in mind that a serving of beets weighs much more than a serving of arugula):

Arugula: 4,677 mg/kg

Rhubarb: 2,943 mg/kg

Beet (root): 1,379 mg/kg

Celery: 1,103 mg/kg

Swiss chard: 1,690 mg/kg

SiS gunk: has 250mg nitrate per gel. Recommendation is for 2 gels per day.

Water, Swiss Chard Juice Concentrate (15%), Maltodextrin(from Maize) (5.5%), Rhubarb Juice Concentrate (4%),Gelling Agents(Xanthan Gum, Gellan Gum), Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid, SodiumCitrate), Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate),Sweeteners(Acesulfame K, Sucralose), Flavouring, Folic Acid. 

• I have nike air pegausus 29's and I prefer them to my old asics g72170's at the moment .

Still waiting on my offical parkrun time from this morn, was up around before 1pm last week , depends who is running it but surely in this digital age it doesnt take that long, must be still on dialup internet...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Interesting stuff AR I think.image

Whenever I hear Box Hill mentioned I think of lorenzo running up it. How's Mrs L's running going? 

Race Jase has had a couple of name checks on MT recently.  But we will have more if we keep up the 100%, which we will. image 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

KR - not just your pee that turns pink ? what jiz too ?..............sorry girls, couldnt stop thinking that when I read KR's post, I must have RW tourettes !

If you think that beetroot juice will make you a better runner, then I'm sure it will. I guess that fresh air works just as well and is cheaper. I still have a theory that if someone for example was a 1:30 marathon runner, they would go and run 1:25 if you could wipe their memory and told them thats 1:25 was their PB.

I use SiS gels, they dont need water, but I'd guess that some water makes them more easily digested, I usually take mine just before a drinks station, but then they seem to come along every 5mins at VLM anyway. 

• TR, a 1:30 marathon runner and water stations 5 minutes apart (each a mile apart): some high performance levels there.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Re R&R, fair point but I had Monday off and then Wednesday off after my 5k, maybe I misjudged the pace on my run.

OO - that's a great time in tough conditions.

4 miles tonight easy pace 7:55, 15 tomorrow will be about the same.

TR - I think you are racing tomorrow? If so good luck and hope it's not too wet!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

TR - I thought the same but wasn't sure how to put it!!  

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Your turds TR, not quite pink more of a deep shade of burgundy or is that just me.

Although your idea may be a good party trick, if you like them sort of parties.

Eh sorry everybody!
  • No running for a week, and no way I'll be able to do anything other than short and light for a few more days yet. My chances of a decent marathon performance are slowly disappearing over the horizon.

BTW love pickled beetroot, dislike beetroot juice intensely. Why not just cut out the middleman and eat soil?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

BoTF - don't panic just yet there is still time to get back and put out a decent performance.

Little trick Leslie, if you go to you park run results page (any previous race) and click latest results from the drop down menu. You often see todays results before you receive the email. I usually do this and see the results from about midday.   

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - good point, make it a 1/2. Do they really have water ever mile ?

GM - they told me to expect wet feet.

Minni - neither was I !

moof - pink poo ? oh I see, like Lady Penelope ?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nothing like raising the tone of things is there

Chard is very easy to grow and is cut-and-come-again - red stemmed versions such as Ruby tend to bolt faster; Fordhook Giant has the widest chards; but good old reliable Rainbow has been cropping since June and still looks very fresh.

+1 for Pegasus but they have changed radically over the years, little but the name seems to stay the same, although generally a reliable shoe 

Lorenzo - absolutely flying, nice work

40m for the week - nosebleed!

• Rich - cracking 16 miler.
    OO - great parkrun.
    Leslie - good mileage for the week and well done on 3rd place.
    Bike It - well done on finishing the run - getting very philosophical too! Hope the ankles are OK.
    Jools - if at first you don't succeed...
    KR - another good parkrun.
    Birch - good determination.
    Never tried gels or beetroot juice, but have a veg plot half full of swiss chard - amazing how it never seems to stop growing.
    Mennania - yes, 3:47am.
    Ant - is the race today? Good luck.
    Lorenzo - that sounds like a very tough session. After my run, I went back to bed and finished Mo's autobiography. Time for some Zola now, I think.
    GM - yes, probably just a blip. That's good.
    BOTF - hope things improve soon.
    Poacher - steady on!
    Rest day for me.

• Gul - No, no race for me - just a 15-miler, as part of the P&D cutback week. I'm trying to work up a bit of enthusiasm, as it's pouring down out there.

TR - If you really want to know what turns pink, you'll have to, ahem, "beat it" and find out...

• Interesting stuff as usual. I take beetroot and accept it may not deliver what people say but it is still good for you. I also like beetrootimage

The 29s are on sale in a local Nike Outlet shop PMJ - not sure its all outlet shops, no online option that I am aware of. I think at that kinda money I will pick a pair (or two) up and see how I get on.

• Poacher wrote (see)

+1 for Pegasus but they have changed radically over the years, little but the name seems to stay the same, although generally a reliable shoe 

!

Indeed. I used to have Pegasus and racing shoes which were very different in weight. I recently got a new pair of racers and compared the two and it was less than an ounce different. The new ones have a lot of synthetic stuff in which brings the weight down.

• Today's run was one of those allegedly character-bulding ones, runs which you're supposed to remember as evidence of all of the hard work you've put in when you look back over your training on the eve of race day.

Only 15 miles, as prescribed by P&D, and not particularly painful from a tiredness or achey point of view - no, it was the conditions. 4ºC, windy and absolutely tipping it down from start to finish. My poor old legs were bright red early doors, and in fact the crappy Asics shorts I was wearing (Note to Self: nothing else than Ronhill ones in future) stuck to my thighs in such a way that both were totally numb by mile 9.

Anyway, it's in the bag, 15.2M @ 7:41mm for a 56-mile week. I can't say it felt much like a recovery week, but there you go!

• That sounds like a tough run Ant. It's runs like that you sometimes question why you are there in the rain and cold running. Then you remember the bigger picture and your end goal. Nothing worse than shorts that stick to your legs in the cold and wind, except thin gloves in the cold & rain that won't dry out and don't actually keep the cold off your hands and in fact make them worse.

Re the half marathon pace I did the other night, I'm not sure until the day whether I could hang on to that pace for a full HM at the moment, but I guess I have to be able to do at least 6 miles at that pace to know that it is doable (something I am building up to). I have done a HM last year where I was ok at that pace for 10 miles, then struggling in the last 3, but that might be a pacing issue?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Character building indeed. 18.5 for me at 8:50 min. miles. 2:45 on my feet was the main objective today and my first +50 mile week of the campaign (53).

Looking forward to BM results from Minni (PB will be tough in these conditions but I'm quietly confident).

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for Minni (thanks for the reminder, OO!).

Nice LSRs from OO and Ant.

Thin gloves in the rain on a cold day definitely get a thumbs down from me, too, KR.  Made that numpty mistake on Tuesday.  Although I think my hands were too cold to give a thumbs down by the end of the session...

14M for me at a modest 8.17m/m, although there were a fair few decent hills thrown in there.  55M for the week plus 1 hour of cross-training, so almost back up to proper mileage again image  Phew.