ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Morning Stan image Which marathon do you have in mind? and which training plan are you going to follow? The mileage isnt too bad at the start of most of them, it just creeps up on you. I've always followed the RW ultimate plans.

• Hiya there... yes, we've lost Malcs to fame and glory, Sarah to Christmas running, and Mr P seems to be residing on Malcs thread too...

I hope they all come back when we need to plan arrangements for London marathon...image 

• Have 14 weeks (I think) to train for London Jenf. Am going to try and adapt some of the RunnersWorld ones. Currently doing between 25-30 miles a week so it shouldn't be too drastic, I hope! By the way do you still make your flapjack?

I am sure that everyone will return once January starts to drag on....... You doing a parkrun in the morning Angela?
  • Yup Stan, I'm parkrunning, but no more at top speed for a while... need to get my marathon pace miles in, so will probably incorporated as part of a 6 mile run done at marathon pace image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Yes Stan image flapjack/granola bars are still a staple running fuel, but I've introduced  rich fruit cake into the equation, I love it on a long run!

I've just got a 14miler tomorrow then 5 on Sunday.(Its a lower mileage week) but the wind/rain is pretty awful here on the coast. Looking out the window is a bit scary, I've never seen the tide so high, could be using flippers tomorrow!

• I'm still here,  I find it a bit tricky navigating round the forum now, used to be you just had bookmarks and you could go straight to the last post in your bookmarked threads.  Now that's gone, so I have created bookmarks onipad but it is cumbersome and unless you see the thread when you log on it is hard to access.

i may try parkrun tomorrow but I've just arranged to meet at eight on Sunday for a run over the course of four villages half mara so that means no alcohol tomorrow night, ergo have to get it in tonight then, ergo parkrun may not benefit from my attendance tomorrow image.

I've always followed the RW ultimate plan too Jen, but used to miss outthe Saturday runs .  I struggle to eat solids running, I have had crushed potatoes in the past but I have to stop and eat properly.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Afternoon all! 

lol Angela - fame and glory, hmm not so sure about that image I'm merely a lowly mentee, those mentors are the real superstars image

It is alot of work though. I have even more respect for what all the guys did last year (including Sarah on her Forum 6 thread). The running itself is hard enough but the forum thread and logging stuff takes much more time than I thought it would. 

That said, Christmas doesn't help as there are loads of other things going on so I'm hoping I can escape to other threads a bit more now. Might be wishful thinking but we'll see how it goes.

I'm all ears for when the VLM arrangements start getting firmed up. Really quite excited to be coming up to see you all smash it!

Jen - re. the weather, I heard that people were getting stuck in the harbour after going out to the point to watch the waves smashing in. 

My brother-in-law has a cravan in Pendine and we saw the pictures of the waves coming right over into the main st. on the news last night - scary stuff so stay safe!

Mr P - I know what you mean, losing the bookmarks was a bad move. Great having you with me for the 3:30 training btw. 

Stan - hope the training goes well, looking forward to seeing you before the start and hopefully along the route at London!

Thanks everyone for the support on my thread btw. I know we're all looking at different target times so what I'm doing only really applies to myself and Mr P but that makes the fact that you're popping by every now and again all the more appreciated!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Some amazing sights on my runs this weekend, all storm related! Huge rock bolders up on the cycle path and even a dead sheep image (sorry bout the hat still) I got absolutely drenched yesterday, I cant actually believe I went out in it!

Thanks Malcs, I kept away from the harbour wall. The police came down and had to move people away!

I've lost bookmarks etc Mr P, just search via spring marathon now! Easier when thread stays on page 1

• Afternoon everyone

sorry for not being around much recently- work, xmas etc all get in the way!!

Seems like everyone is doing well, and the spring marathon plans coming together nicely.

Thankfully I have some good news to report- been out running on the foot- 5 miles on New Years Day and no serious ill effects image. It is still uncomfortable on a daily basis, especially first thing, but not any worse. Ive also bought a bike so been out on that 4 or 5 times over the festive fortnight

hopefully 2014 will look up from here on!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great stuff Clive - onwards and upwards as you say!

With your new wheels and all that flapping around in water you've been doing you're getting dangerously close to crossing to the dark side! image

Jen - boulders? Blimey!

The fact that you're going out in these conditions says alot for your determination, can't say I would have done the same but then I haven't entered an ultra - you need to be hard as nails to do those and you certainly fall into that category.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Lol Malcs Listening to the thunder today I wasn't so brave! Should you be out in the open or stand under a tree in a storm? can't remember which now image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Yippee it's carb loading today image means I had lots of oatcakes with my broccoli soup for lunch. And home made pizza this eve.

This weekend I have a 24+5 miles to run. and the forecast is sunny for tomorrow for a change! Wednesday afternoon was the most wet and miserable 9miles I'd run for ages.

I'm glad your foot seems to be improving Clive. Did you check out that kinetic revolution site for PF stuff? The dynamic warm up calf stretches on it are great. I already do the ones with feet straight, but doing toes in and toes out is genius!

• Yes wednesday was pretty wet wasn't it? I'll make a decision tomorrow about what I do over the weekend, but if it is fine tomorrow then it would be good to gett he long run done.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

What a beautiful day for running! I needed sunglasses rather than a waterproof image

I hope you got out there for your long run MrP and made the most of the weather, I believe wind/rain is back tomorrow.

I did my 24miles without any problems this morning and finished strong, so I feel very happy. Just 5miles tomorrow.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

5miles done! legs feeling remarkably ok, although I did hobble to the toilet like an old woman in the middle of the night!! No aches or pains now.

Stan, how is your plan going?

I love the pie photo on Malcs thread MrP..nice one!!

• Hi Jenf. I really am jealous at how you rack up those miles. I did 14 miles last Sunday and felt good at the end. However the perils of running on an empty stomach caught up with me and I just felt sick and was in a foul mood the rest of the day....

Next day woke up and my right knee was really not co-operating so I gave myself the week off! Just completed an 8 mile slow run and all seems ok. Even forced myself to stretch and also got out the foam roller at the end! Half marathon next weekend so I 'll be able to see what base I am coming from. Apparently they provide pie and cups of tea at the finish line. That fact may speed me around the course! Hope everyone else's training is progressing better than mine!
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Pie and a cup of tea sounds a novel post race snack Stan! I love it when we have the crepe van at ours! I'm always spoilt for choice what to have on it. My favourite last summer was nutella.Good luck with the Half marathon.

Did another 7 miles last night with club. Did a few miles at speed with the big boys! ( actually it was slow for them..just fast for me) image No running today, I'm going to play with weights this evening, and then run 12miles tomorrow.

Just treated myself to some new trainers, as I think my others had done a few too many miles. Suprisingly noticed the difference last night!

• that's the beauty of running with a group though Jen you can just hang onto someone for dear life every week  and watch the improvements come!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Soaked again today, but 12more miles ticked off, and still feeling strong image 

This weekend has an 18 and a 10mile back to back, looking forward to that!!!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Jen - you're a machine! I'm in awe image

I am supposed to be doing a mere 16 and the thought of that meagre distance scares me. 

Hope the double header goes well and that you get some decent weather for a change, you flippin' well deserve it!

Stan - great to hear the week off has done you good. Look after that knee! 

Hope the race goes well this weekend, is it Saturday or Sunday?

Mmmm....pies..... image

Mr P - how are you feeling about Sunday? You should be really confident the way you've been going. Needless to say I hope you smash it - best of luck to you!

• Hi, im hopefully back after a slight break...been so bogged down with everything i havent had much time to come on here...I blame breaking bad to be honest..my husband wanted to spend some time together (as before i was either at work, running or on here) so we have been watching breaking bad for the last few months...not sure you can call it quality time together but hay! Almost finished series 4!

Been great following your running on facebook jen, very inspiring and you looked fantastic in that photo after your 24 miler....i dont think I would have looked so fresh.

• What race are you doing on sunday Mr P?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

image Happy Happy as I ran 18miles today without getting wet!! I meet friends from my club after 4 miles, did 10 with them, then only had 4 left back to home. I don't know where the miles went!

Yesterdays miles at 5.30am in the pouring rain weren't quite so much fun, but they got done!

Hope races went well MrP and Stan, What pie did you have?

Well I've heard some excuses for not posting on a thread sarah a...but that one is class!

• you must have had all the nice weather...was dreadful in york, heavy rain all morning, quite a lot of roads flooded....but I still actually enjoyed marshalling.  

jenf wrote (see)

Well I've heard some excuses for not posting on a thread sarah a...but that one is class!

Haha...glad you like it!,

• Hey! Race went well thanks Jenf. 1:28 which isn't too bad seeing as my legs still hurt. Left the house in a hurry and forgot my gels so had to substitute jelly babies during the run. I was mistaken with the pies as it was actually Lancashire Hotpot served - appropriate seeing as the race was near Preston. Going to enter the Great North West run next month and see how I go there. Just be feeling good by then and hopefully get a PB!

I still cannot get over your weekly run volume Jenf. When is your next race?

Mr P how did your race go? I want a full race report with pics!

Glad to see you return Sarah. Did you not fancy the Brass Monkey this weekend?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

sarah a - ...is back! Yay! image And with a whole new look for 2014. Will you be changing letter each year? You've done O and A, presumably the rest of the vowels will follow before moving onto consonants?image

Jen - that is bloody brilliant! Sorry you couldn't have two days without rain, you damn well deserve it. I'm with Stan, just can't believe your mileage. Amazing!

Stan - excellent time there, well done! Sorry about the pie disappointment but hot pot is surely not a bad alternative image

How did you find the JB's? I switched to a JB/gel mix last year and it worked really well for me. 

• Lancashire Hotpot sounds nice post race!

I wasnt allowed to do the brass monkey Stan as im a member of knavesmire harriers so we all have to marshall. Im not sure why put they wanted 160 marshalls...heard its the best marshalled race in england! Whats your HM PB?

I love JB - i always run on them. If we can use them for diabetics having a hypo they can be used on me!

Haha maybe when I get bored Malcs or if I need to revamp my style image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Stan my next race is the Ulltra at end of March, didn't want to get book anything before it really.

I'm not so impressed now with my mileage since I've heard people talking about P&D marathon plans, they are doing not far off the same!! I managed another dry run today though, so happy happy image. And that doesn't mean I ran without alcohol!!!

I cant do JB, they make me need toilet stops, but I can do jelly beans! what's with that?

• Sorry Stan missed your post, it went very well, 1:40 xx but a bit of shin paain since so I am resting up a little wathching back to back breaking bad.