Mild shin pain... okay to run through it?

Got minor shinsplints: aware it's there when running and walking but not painful enough to make me think I need to stop.

I noticed the RW article says a certain amount of running through it can help the body adapt. So not sure whether it would be better to run through it for now (it's just started happening) or rest?I suppose what I'm really asking is, at what point would it be wise to stop?

Comments

• No.  Definitely not OK to run through.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Agree with Surrey Runner. Your best bet would be to get a sports physio to look at it as they will know best.
  • Thanks Surrey,, Millsy1977. I'll take your advice.

• I did as you have mentioned and ran through the minor shin pain.  I then literally limped home from a run back in September and ended up having 2 x-rays as my Dr thought I had a stress fracture. Crutches and time of work followed.  It turned out I was running with shin splints which became debilitating.  I have done absolutely no running since then and having been pain free for 4 weeks now, I am planning on a gentle run around the park this evening.

I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.  Fingers crossed there is no pain!

• PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Hi zicksi101, I have shin splints which is due from marathon training.  I was running about 30 miles a week.  It started with slight pains in my ankles, around my achilles and also in my calf.    I kept trying to run but found that even though I could run through it, my ankle was too sore the next day so I could not continue with my programme.  I did this for about two weeks.  I then decided to have 6 days off and went to see a proper sports physio.    His advice for me last weekend was to continue running but with a gradual mileage build up and to rehabilitate to strengthen the tendons.   Every day I ice, I use a foam roller for two minutes and I also now have some strenthening exercises.  Yesterday I managed to run 9 miles before the pain kicked in, but believe me, this is a vast improvement.  My advice would be to rest and if you're not training for a marathon, then you can cross train in the meantime and also see a sports physio.   I was delighted to hear that by running on mine, I would not be making them worst and with management, they will eventually get better.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks Liz EE and Pipski. Hope you both recover well and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Opted to play it safe by resting + made (first ever) appointment with sports physio today.I'd assumed I might need to adapt to a more neutral style; recenly discovered my old shoes (which I just replaced) were making me supinate because they provided too much support. They were fitted correctly at the time but my running style became more neutral as I lost a lot of weight. Will speak to the physio and see what they recommend.Thanks for all the helpful comments.

• Regardless of what the sports physio says, if the pain continues more than a couple of weeks without significant improvement see a doctor.  I was milked by a crooked sports physio last year.

• PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Thank you Surrey Runner.  I've been running on them for nearly a week now and although at first they were extremely sore, they are now remarkably much better.   I've been to this physio before and I know he is 100% kosher,,,,he is running his 13th marathon this year, so I am trusting his advice.  I really have reduced my mileage and used all his rehabilitation advice, so fingers crossed, I will be pain free soon. Thanks for your respone and sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

• Thanks Surrey, Pipski. Sorry to hear you've had a rough time but thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Seen physio who noted my left calf is very inflexible. That probably explains why shin splints are affecting my left leg only! Hopefully more stretching will improve things going forward.