Sub 3

Comments

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - thanks. Currently on big mileage at around 30mpw! No spring marathon this year, but I am considering a proper (possibly final) go at a marathon next spring. Plenty of time to make my mind up though - would probably start focusing on it around November.

I just realised CW did a sub 3 marathon at the weekend - impressive.

Al_P - that's a nice long run with a faster bit in the middle.

I missed HR on the tellybox - what was it about?

• Al -- that's quite a session including your race. Doing 7M beforehand would surely have taken the edge off your performance, too.

Wardi -- great improvement from last time, so as you say you must be doing something right.

Rest (bike) today, as I had a lot of gubbins to tranport to work some time, and my lower leg felt a touch cranky after burning its matches yesterday. Also I'm donating blood on the way home -- was tempted to run just so I could promise with a straight face I would do nothing strenuous before hitting the pavements...

• Blimey Padams, very nice.  I'd love to be that quick.  Well done.

Very impressive sub 3 too CW, How are the legs today?

23miles @ 7:18p/m yesterday for 91miles for the week.  I seem to be getting the mileage in but any kind of speed feels tough.  Was disappointed with 18:17 for Parkrun on Saturday, even if it was with tired legs.  Thought I would see my times dropping by now but they're hanging on the wrong side of 18. Think I'm going to put more speed work in from now on in.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Padams - was that Fred Hughes that your club organises that my other lot Heathside usually run in? Great running

Dan A - usual massive miles, FairPlay 

AL P - still looks like a productive day

TR - nice sub 36, clearly in good form

Sweedo - 91, blimey

Wardi - well run, I was there too see below

TT - 97 for the week, seems like you're in a groove now too with the mileage

CW - a sub 3 at the weekend? Lol Bloody hell

Though I'd stick my head in as I raced at the weekend. Haven't done enough road running recently to talk about it on here as I've been slowly getting back to it and very busy with Uni. Currently on an orthopaedic trauma ward in hospital.

Brass Monkey for me yesterday and first proper road race since Notts half in sept 2012. Been back running since October doing bits of xc, fells, swimming, bike in gym but no real consecutive weeks of quality But been slowly getting into shape. Last two weeks I've managed club sessions and some faster stuff with some long runs of 14 and 16 miles.

Went out a bit fast with a Clubmate yesterday but was enjoying things and just went with the flow. Think the first few were a bit too close to 6mm so eased off a bit and ticked over. Really enjoyed the country lanes along the route, definitely my kind of race. My Clubmate who was mildly hungover dropped off at 8 and I ran in several small groups from there. Pushed on to the finish with another lad finishing in 1.21.13. Thought I might finish between 1.21 and 1.24 but had no real ideal so was pleased with that given lack of road running and quality, hard training. Legs felt pretty strong even if the aerobic system isn't there yet But good underlying fitness.

Northumberland half in 2 months where I'm aiming at a pb then it's building for the fell season.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Crikey Padams, I was in danger of being lapped by you at the Fred Hughes 10! An excellent event, and perfect weather conditions. 2 matches burnt.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great uni XCing from bufo, seems like you’re the man in form at the moment.  Nice qualifying.

Awesome 10 miler from Padams.  Nice halfs from Wardi and RS too.

Great 10K PBs/sub 36s from TR and Toro.  Sorry that it wasn’t quite what Al_P had wanted, but we all know you’ll peak at the right time.

Everyone seems to be putting some mammoth miles in, particularly from DanA, and a typical intricately/bafflingly structured CW run.  Impressive long run from JH1 – 6:53 for 21?  Sounds like marathon form is coming together nicely.  Not to play a game of one-upmanship, but I was pretty pleased with a 21 at average 6:52 last week.

Amused by Luke referring to DanA as Dana

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Dana_Scallon_1.jpg/392px-Dana_Scallon_1.jpg

Been a while since I posted here (again), but VLM training is going OK, a couple of 20s and a 21 done so far.  A fair few aches and pains in various places before Christmas didn’t help the mileage, but I’ve felt a lot smoother and stronger in the last couple of weeks. I’ve been focussing on a lot of LT work leading up to the Wokingham Half, and seem to be on track for 1:13:xx, and I’ll hit more marathon pace sessions afterwards.  Done a fair bit more cross country racing and hill work than usual over the winter, so that will hopefully stand me in good stead.

I’ve just entered the Finchley 20, with the intention of using it in the way that people on the thread seem to often use it, i.e. 5m steady, 15m @MP.  Anyone else running it?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Some fine racing going on during heavy training, well done all.  Nice PBs from TR (defo more to come off the 10k time soon) and ToroPadams with a cracking 10 miler, definitely giving me yet more faith in the multi-sport approach, good come-back road race from RS and CW cranking out another rather unorthodox sub-3.  Mental!  image

Gobi - Good to see you out there again.  This track cycling - Newport?  I'm keeping an eye on Stratford this year, can't wait to get on "the boards" proper.

HR - What Dan said.  When I heard about your involvement in the programme topic I thought I might need some diplomacy in commenting, but it turns out you were eloquent, reasoned and remarkably unflustered compared to some of the frankly crazy views being put across.  (I often set out for my Sunday run/ride when TBQ comes on, to avoid upsetting myself! image)  BTW, I've put in a recipe request for you...

I'm continuing to struggle with getting some intensity back into my running.  I joined in a club park session on Saturday morning, intending to do 3 of 4 x 2miles tempo intervals, but stopped after 2 (both @ 5:46 pace, so not bad!) as I could feel a little niggle in the foot. Frustrating, but I think I'll continue to put the efforts into my rowing and cycling... So, 65 miles on the bike yesterday and another session PB on the rower today; first time over 12k for a 45 mins session, 1:52.3 pace, progressing through 23, 25, 27spm.  I might try that 10k TT towards the end of the week.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

PP - the rower is a killer! I think I'm going to do some sessions to prepare for the fells, ideal training for that for leg strength and power. Sounds like you're smashing it

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    PP - track is intense, you will love it but it really does not suit the endurance athlete. An endurance race on the track still feels like a sprint
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

AL_P - nice to see you y'day, you were a bit disappointec when we spoke, but bigger picture and all that (which you knew anyway).

RS - good stuff, 1:21 is very nice.

Wardi - great to see you getting some ROI.

PP - keep teh pace down (in the trainers).

NS2 - I like it that you think you burned 2 matches, if only it was that easy.

6M easy today, legs felt pretty good given a 10k y'day.

• Dachs, I'm at the Finchley20, for the same workout although not in your league image
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Well done on the 2min improvement Wardi. Glad to hear the changes in training are reaping rewards!

Still a good time as part of a long run Al_P, especially at the end of your first ever 90m week.

CW - I spotted your sub-3 in training, but forgot to comment on it. Possibly because it is so you! image That's got to reassure you about your endurance though!

Nice mileage Sweedo.

Good HM RS78.

Dachs - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do at Wokingham.

Sorry to hear about the niggles PP. As TR said though, maybe just get the miles up first before adding any intensity.

Standard Monday fare for me, which means a long run. 21m with the last 8 @ 6:15 just to stretch the legs a bit. Starting to feel stronger again now so I will probably reintroduce the proper surge long runs now next week.

• Just incredible stuff here, as usual.  I am ticking along nicely in my own mundane way.   Except that I strapped on some shiny new shoes last night and went for an 18 miler.  Got a blister inside my heel and bailed out onto the tram after about 15. Managed a bike/gym/ run home combo today so just about got away with it. 

Would be nice if buying the same shoes each year meant you got the same shoes rather than different ones with the same name. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Gobi - I'm semi-regular at Herne Hill (outdoor) velodrome for training sessions, but did try a couple of track league races a couple of years ago before deciding that it was way too much like hard work sandwiched between Tuesday and Thursday quality running sessions. The Olympic velodrome opens up to the public in a few months and I believe my track experience gives me a head start in the induction process.  Can't wait!

*edit* I've even got the gimp suit!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/540226_10150633720270047_196530253_n.jpg

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    lol , I race Reading through the Summer
  • Thanks Dan and PP: very kind of you. And as Padams you asked it was a discussion ostensibly about whether there's evidence for satan but they wanted to steer it to possession and exorcism. It's here but I wouldn't be at all offended if you don't - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03sgqms/The_Big_Questions_Series_7_Episode_3/

Amazing power of TV though: that 30s banner about my book was enough to propel it back into bestseller lists, at least for a day anyway.

Dan - that area is amazing isn't it? I ran around Salford Quays and the jostling of old and new was pretty inspiring even in the dark.

PP many thanks for the recipe request. Sad about the ongoing niggle but still brilliant re. the erg pb. That's the only form if indoor training I like. I wonder why? Is there something about a rowing machine that makes you feel as if you're moving or something? Anyway, take heart at you may recall BEJ reported a sub-3h marathon by someone just using a rowing machine. Not optimal, granted, but you're going to be in great tri-shape.

So much outstanding racing and training to pick up on that it's hard to keep up. The thread is really igniting at the moment isn't it?

Padams that is a storming 10m from you. Jeez superb. Great pb. Which was the HM that you ran a 10m quicker? That must have been some performance too.

Have mentioned TR previously: great pb.

Wardi, great to see you back and knocking minutes off your last outing there, which I recall you posting up on here.

TT great long run and some serious training pace.

Al_P the same goes: that may have sounded disjointed but tremendous looking long run.

Dachs great to see you back with a 20m & 21m banked can't be that badimage

RS78 nice one at the BrassM

Sweedo superb looking 23m at that pace

Charlie nice ones at the weekend. Half expecting you to pop on and say you did indeed run after donating blood!

I think I've caught up and apologies if I have missed anyone. Train-commute issues today so had to juggle to make it up to 11m for the day.Done.

Oh, OS, totally agree about the shoes. Isn't it irritating? Classic example is the Nike Pegasus which just don't feel the same in the newer versions.

• You've beaten my record week there Sweedo. Don't worry if your legs feel a bit peeved -- mine were toast on Friday, but miraculously fine having taken Saturday off. And while I didn't run today, I've no DOMS or anything.

RS -- sounds great, being at the fast end of your expectations at this stage.

PP -- you're an aerobic monster.

Good to get a long one done OS, and as usual you make a tough one sound a breeze TT.

Back to it tomorrow with a commuting plod double I think... overall this week will be much lower mileage though.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

OS - agreed, althoughI like to keep a version or two behind the latest version as it brings the cost right down.

PP - no photo's please !

CW - dont cut back now, you'd have a stormer off 10 more weeks of 80 mpw !! HA HA. I've managed a massive 122M so far in January myself. I need to up it a bit to make 200M for the month.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

HR - Bath in 2009, I went through 10k in 31:59 and 10M in low 52 on my way to 68:50. Sadly I got injured soon after and never converted that form into a marathon time. Will take a look at the iPlayer when I get a bit of time.

RS - yes, it was the Fred Hughes. I did notice there were loads of Heathside runners there!

PP - another nice erg session.

TT - solid long run.

Legs a bit sore today so just my cycle commute to work. 3M each way so doesn't really count as training!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Dachs.. good to see you back amongst the long runs.  Nice long run paces from Sweedo & TT & OS too.

PP.. shame you've still got running niggles but some great X-training going on!

Al P.. that's still a very good 10k in the middle of a long run & big weekly miles.  Nice to see Mrs Al P runs a bit too.

RS78.. sorry I missed you yesterday, sounds like you had a more than decent run.  Good luck with the forthcoming PB attempt. 

One of my young clubmates is making swift progress.  With a 1:23 half PB from a couple of years ago he clocked a 36:51 10k on 1st Jan, a 29.10 5 miler the week after then scuttled round the Brass Monkey in 1:17 yesterday.  He only started running to stop himself getting fat! 

5.2m easy recovery run tonight, first sign of icy paths underfoot this winter.  

• Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

Abingdon is October 19th, entries open (and close?) Feb 1st.

A good one to target for the autumn?

• Sorry so much information so will try mention last couple pages and apologies to all the great efforts I've left out. Good stuff all at Stubbington looks glorious day to be out and some great times. RS78 good half solid 1.21.

Dachs bloody hell HM 1.13 seems pretty sporting and sound in great shape. Padams dawn fine 10 miler congrats and tough for 3rd must have been superb field; immense 10k and HM pbs much envy from many on here I suspect!

CW great mileage and no sign of DOMS assuming the odd foot pain settled. Amazing 'marathon' at the weekend showing great form long out adn I'm sure very reassuring.

TT your mileage is staggering and slightly incomprehensible to me. I assume you've built up to this over a long time adn been running for several years?

AL-P 35.05 great effort and part of a sound 22 miler especially in highert ever mileage week. Congratulations and hope the legs holding up well to it. Sweedo 91 miles....nice and PP great to see you slowly getting back into the running hope the niggles hold off .

60 mile last week with most at weekend (41 miles on fri/sat/sunday). Heavy right hamstring tenderness and pain on sat through easy 7 and feeling it on walking sunday but thought I'd test it on the long run. Felt it tighten throughout but kept creeping on every 2 miles and made the 20 mile in very easy 2.14 (6.42 miles) with some heavy rollering felt fine yesterday. First 20 out the way which feels great but be good to get some MP in. Wish I'd found this thread and the P n D book years ago and not 2 weeks ago!

• DrD -- anyone who can do a very cautious 20M @ 6:42/M while gently testing a hamstring problem, at the end of such a heavy weekend, is going to do quite well in their next marathon! Hope you can shake off the niggle though.

Jock Itch put me onto the coolrunning.com marathon schedules yesterday, which (unusually) dictate a few full/overdistance runs in the last few weeks. So I'm not alone.

6.5M bimble to work today (7:55/M); my legs are a little tired I think from Sunday's speed/endurance combo, and I had no reason to urge them any quicker as they were still in credit.

• Dr D - just a gentle 20 miles at 6.42 then?! YOU GUYS!

Padams: Magnifico bit of podium action and a 53 min 10 miler!!

Watched HR's debate on BBC last night on Satan which was controlled sensible debating unlike some of the other more "extreme" characters on the show. found myself watching the Benefits Street debate and getting quite annoyed with the plumber dude.

going for a commute double today (only the short distances image) approx. 10k each way, bimbled the first couple of miles due to tiredness from the weekend's 28 miles across Saturday and Sunday, but did warm up and stretched the legs for a couple of miles in the mid 6s. The run home will be in the dark so will probably take it easier.

• Padams - Sensational stuff.

CW - Great over distance.

TT - Decent clip at the end of a long run.

Wardi - 2mins improvement is not to be sniffed at.

TR - A PB!!!! well bloody done and sounds like there's more in the tank.  What's the BAC session this week?

RS78 - Well done at Brass monkey, and you racejase (if you're reading)

Dan - Crazy mileage.

Al_P - Great (dis-jointed) long run.

Nothing quite as exciting as the above in my running world, had a horrible run on Sunday, I guess due to being under fuelled.  Strangely at about 17 miles I got my second wind and started to speed up to average 6.54 for 22miles.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Jimbob - are you racing Finchley all out, or are you doing it more as a training run stylee thing.

Dr Dave - 6:42 for 20 very easy?  Nice!

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

OS - shoe companies constantly tweaking things are the bane of my (running) life.

DrDave - I've been running for 7 years, and this is less mileage than I used to do, so building down rather than up (I'm now running optimal rather than maximal mileage) image That's a quick long run. From what I know of PnD' recommended long run approach you must be targetting ~2:33 then?

Crazily dense fog here this morning. I was supposed to do hill reps, but figured not being able to see properly was probably asking for trouble given my ability to knacker myself in dumb ways, so didn't bother. Will do some effort on the way home hopefully.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

TT - I ran through your 'hood on an extended run to work this morning.  I can confirm it was a wee bit foggy.  Never have my eyebrows been so much wetter than the rest of me.  I'm wondering if it was more to do with my eyebrows getting bushier as I creep towards my late 30s than the density of the fog.

• TT wow hate to see your training plan on maximal then...image yes tried to stick to the PnD 20%/10% plan but with hamstring sat closer to 15% as thought I'd be cutting run short but felt pretty easy; so ideally hoping for 2.39 but admit this is a bit pie in sky as not enough experience to really know. we'll see what happens over next 2 month and readjust accordingly!

• Dachs eyebrows that bushy don't sound aerodynamically viable...I think waxing is on the cards