Tri Suit or 2 piece ?

Apart from the obvious advantage of being able to pee pee easier in a 2 piece, shall I get a suit or 2 piece ?

Comments

• Long distance - 2 piece
    Short distance - whatever
    Default - 2 piece

• Whats Rule #13?

Whatever melds says, you do??

• Errr .. check the Outlaw Feed Station thread, I think I linked to it there

;-)

• British Triathlon, World Triathlon in fact, should ban two piece tri gear for men, unless for charity. It's an APPALLING look!

Girls can get away the look but I am not well placed to comment on comfort.
  • After much googling and advice on here I'm going for a two piece. Much more versatile and can be used whilst training where as a Tri suit can only be used on race day ?
  • Id said its personal preference - I tried a 2 piece in prep for IM Wales (ie. I bought one and sent it back for the trisuit). I am tri suit all the way no matter what the distance
  • Proven Robbie W wrote (see)
    British Triathlon, World Triathlon in fact, should ban two piece tri gear for men, unless for charity. It's an APPALLING look!

I assume you're referring to the 'crop top' variety, in which case I agree with you.  But as long as the top is the proper length, then for long distance two piece is the way to go every time.

• Although if we're talking bans, armwarmers with bare shoulders isn't a great look.

• Proven Robbie W wrote (see)
    British Triathlon, World Triathlon in fact, should ban two piece tri gear for men, unless for charity. It's an APPALLING look!

there is a BTF/ITU rule which states that the gap between waistband of the shorts and the hem of the top should no be greater than 10cm during competition - known to us officials as the "muffin roll" rule.   

"22.5 Competitors must be adequately clothed at all times, the minimum  being a one- or two- piece non-transparent  swimsuit,  together with a cycling  or running top, if appropriate, with a gap no greater than 10cm (4”).  All competitors must ensure their upper body (especially the chest area) is clothed during the cycling and running sections of the event. Front fastening tops and trisuits must be fully fastened at all times."

so - anyone showing more gut than allowed could be penalised.  I have yet to penalise someone for it, but have had words with quite a few as many are just not aware of the rule - even telling one athlete to change his crop top or face a penalty (he argued with me which didn't help his cause - he complied....image)

this rule however does not apply in WTC races - hence you still get a lot of flesh on show

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Although if we're talking bans, armwarmers with bare shoulders isn't a great look.

I often wear armwarmers with bare shoulders...........It makes me feel like a stripper.....image

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    Proven Robbie W wrote (see)

there is a BTF/ITU rule which states that the gap between waistband of the shorts and the hem of the top should no be greater than 10cm during competition - known to us officials as the "muffin roll" rule.   

"22.5 Competitors must be adequately clothed at all times, the minimum  being a one- or two- piece non-transparent  swimsuit,  together with a cycling  or running top, if appropriate, with a gap no greater than 10cm (4”).  All competitors must ensure their upper body (especially the chest area) is clothed during the cycling and running sections of the event. Front fastening tops and trisuits must be fully fastened at all times."

so - anyone showing more gut than allowed could be penalised.  I have yet to penalise someone for it, but have had words with quite a few as many are just not aware of the rule - even telling one athlete to change his crop top or face a penalty (he argued with me which didn't help his cause - he complied....image)

this rule however does not apply in WTC races - hence you still get a lot of flesh on show

non transparent....so can you please ban all men wearing white shorts please.....image

• FB - this states that tri suits and tops must be FULLY zipped up?  Is there a danger of a penalty/disqualification if it's partially unzipped?  I've seen loads of people with the zip half down during the run.

Back on point, I do prefer a tri suit, and am still umming and ahhing about whether to stick with it for IM.  It's not THAT difficult to whip the top half down in a portaloo, is it?

• depends on how knackered you are and if too many gels have given you the shits and you just get to a portaloo in time image

• I plan on using Immodium to solve that little problem!

• luckily i have never sufferred with it.......as i don't fancy using immodium incase it wears off before i finish.image

• Seren - non-transparent usually only applies to the visibility in the crotch area, but I won't disagree about the white shorts ban, especially on those who are - shall we say - slightly larger than a skinny whippet. 

Pudge - that's the rule, but how we apply it will depend on circumstances.  for the guys at the pointy end who should know the rule (or be wearing kit with rear facing zips to avoid the issue) then we will be more strict giving a verbal warning to zip up or face a penalty if they don't comply.  for the mid-packers and slower then a verbal instruction is usually enough - we'll often have a word after they cross the line to inform them of the rule.  if it's a very hot day, we'll take a more relaxed view apart from the front end guys.  a small amount of unzipping is fine in my book - fully unzipped isn't.

frankly, the zip rule is the most contentious one we have to apply - but we have to be seen to be doing something or we're not doing our job properly.  it's about getting the balance right between application and being seen to be over officious. not easy! 

• trisuit every time - holds my flab inimage

• Ah, ok, thanks for that FB, I never knew that.  I think I need to study the rulebook before May!

• OP: What Melds said.  Melds is always right.

• Dudders wrote (see)
    After much googling and advice on here I'm going for a two piece. Much more versatile and can be used whilst training where as a Tri suit can only be used on race day ?

Why can a tri suit only be used on race day?

I have a couple of cheap Aldi tri suits used just for training, prefer cycling in them instead of bib shorts.

• Pudge wrote (see)

Ah, ok, thanks for that FB, I never knew that.  I think I need to study the rulebook before May!

probably help if I did as well!  image

fyi - the latest version is here - https://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/about/british_triathlon_rulebook_2013.pdf

we get informed of new or amended rules that are to be applied to the coming season that aren't in the rulebook but so far we've had nothing.  that's not to say there won't be any, juts not had them yet.   if there's anything important I'll post them on the forum.

the most important ones for newbies to learn about are equipment/kit, transition rules, drafting issues - and penalties that can be applied and for what so you can avoid them.  the fine detail you can pick up as you go along.

• Technically it's just as easy to pee in either. 

• I'm going to invent a 3-piece, and make it out of carbon fibre and include the word 'aero' in teh name.  It'll be £3000 a set.   It's got one more, and is carbon - triathletes love that kind of thing.

• A 'tri-suit' should really be a three piece anyway, by definition.

Won't the carbon chafe, Dave?

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

I'm going to invent a 3-piece, and make it out of carbon fibre and include the word 'aero' in teh name.  It'll be £3000 a set.   It's got one more, and is carbon - triathletes love that kind of thing.

Does it go to 11?

Actually aero is the way forward - look at the custom ChampionChip suit Mackenzie wore in Kona and the Castelli T1... 

• 2 piece for triathlon tri suit for night clubbing image

• Pudge wrote (see)

A 'tri-suit' should really be a three piece anyway, by definition.

Won't the carbon chafe, Dave?

If it's completely impractical, so much the better.  A few subtle 'ads' on tritalk and there's my retirement fund, right there.