Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Dachs, did you go out in your ladies' clothes again?

Cat5 - hope you're feeling better soon.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Only infrequently anything productive with my retching Iron, so you'd win!Rest up and get yourself better ASAP. Not looking good for Wokingham. If that doesn't happen, what about Hillingdon instead?

Ouch dachs! Chafing is (literally) a pain. One of those things that is just pure annoying as its not really an injury, but can make running dificult! I find Sudocrem nappy rash cream works very well!

SG - we did better than Elite last time - full-on VIP treatment image.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cripes Iron, things are worse with you than I thought! Here's to better days for you soon me boyo!

Bus, I think that race included some of my best ever moments as a runner. Doing strides in front of the crowd at the front of the field, getting onto tv, the VIP bit,meetings celebs, a great day.

I am a bit of a big time tart these days though. Give me a huge race over the Cock N Biscuits 10k anyday. Although i'm sure in a few years i'll go back to trying to scuffle some prizes at the local bootleg races.

Nikki, i bet all those easy paces come out as steady or efforts...

Dachs, any 10+ miler is a decent run. I was thinking about you when i was trundling my ass round the loop at my fast paces, thinking, Dachs would be doing 5miles at faster than this last mile.

Then I started thinking, what does Dachs actually mean. Then it was all over, and i was on the floor crouching, thinking, I best get to work.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What's your plan for Thursday SG? A chance I might be working at home and looking for a 10 miler (or something that fits into one) at lunchtime.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately that's the standard rest day!

Generally pans out like this...

M 2x short easy
    T long tempo, easy short
    W long easy, easy short
    Thu OFF
    Fri efforts/tempo reps, easy short
    Sat 2x easy
    Su long easy

• I love those Great Run events. I'm more than likely doing the Manchester 10K this year, in the ballot for the GNR. I'd like to do the Sheffield 10K too, as it holds a place in my heart having been to uni there.

SG, not a bad session as silly o'clock. image If a session goes not quite to plan do you not think its the time? I read lungs are 14% or so percent  more effective in the evening. I could never do it that early. I wake up for work around 7 and the only thing I ever feel like doing is crying.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Have tried quality morning, lunch and evening now.

All have pros and cons. The big pro of morning is obviously gaining time, freeing the evening up, and meaning whatever happens at work you've already got the big session in.

I had to use up all my commitment to the cause when I used to leave work at 5 on a friday, knowing some blockbusting session was coming alone on the track,or round my loop!

You just have to make sure you haven't had a stupid late night an underfuelled the night before! You live and learn though

• A general question for all

When doing either efforts on road or a hard run do you wear race shoes or just your normal day to day trainers?

• I wear lightweight shoes.

• Are they the same shoes you race in?

• Yes, or similar ones.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

race shoes big Rob.

Try and get into the same mentality as per racing, shoes, shorts, maybe not the vest this time of year!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Racers.

In fact I wear racers as a matter of course. I wear trainers when feeling tired or when getting over injuries. 

Made a mistake last summer when I wore the trainers too much and found I couldn't get up on my toes during the Aldershot RR. Basically flat footed my way around the course.

🙂

• I agree with really to be honest but tonight I went for a steady run and found myself picking up pace anyway in normal Brooks Ravenna so it just went through my head do the lads and lasses from StevieG's group always were flats or lightweight shoes when doing efforts

for the record 8 mile started at a 6.57 then 6.27, 5.51,5.41 then decided to ease back 6.26,6.38 then for some reason picked up again to 5.47 and finally 6.22 up and down I know bit like my head tonight finished feeling fine!!! I've had a full head cold for a week ever since I offered the miracle cure to Iron that I'd avoided everything in our house because I use first defence wish I'd kept my mouth shut!!! 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SG - Chichester 10K this year ?..........I only have trainers myself.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Rob - I usually wear hardcore racers for reps on the road. For all other runs I wear the slightly more comfy lightweights that i also run marathons in - Brooks Green Silence or Saucony Kinvaras. Proper chunky trainers are a thing of the past for me.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

United are playing at home that Sunday TR.

Dachs, what's the difference between racers and hardcore racers?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Theres a joke in there somewehere, but for now I'm just saying "cushioning".

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SG - ok, that moves me up one to about 99th then.

• There's probably a joke involving hardcore AND cushioning if you try hard enough, Dachs. That's true though - I have Kinvaras and they are more cushioned than you'd expect in such a light shoe. I don't feel the need to go any more lightweight than that though.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, lightweight racers for me too - which is kind of appropriate for a lightweight image

The ones i'm doing my sessions from work in are light (like an Adios), but not super-light like the fluoro Hagios in the pic above. They have one big advantage though - they were only £15!!

I do my long roads runs in more cushioned trainers though, but even those are realtively light (285g)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oh - and shame on you SG for Thursday! Taking days off indeed image

• Rob, I wear flats for all sessions on or off the road. My current ones are Nike Lunaracer3 which I retired from races, my current racing shoes are the Nike Flyknit racers, which are just unreal!

24 min tempo track session tonight in horrendous conditions, mud, wind, rain!

4mins (2mins) 6 x 1min (30s) 4mins (2mins) 6 x 1min (30s) 4mins

All paces were 5:45 to 5:50ish, last 4min was 5:30. Felt pretty easy to be honest, just made hard by the wind and searing rain.

• Great session especially after HM Sunday just shows that your underlying strength strong as recovered quickly image

StevieG impressive MP/HMP session early today image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Great session Stevie, and as Rob says, two days after a HM, most impressive!

Of course, it's all down to the Nikes image

• #TeamNike image

Anyone running the Northern XC champs on Saturday? Missed it last year due to being a big Jessie. It's such a great race. Not sure how the legs will react but no quality from now till then so should be reet!

• The Bus wrote (see)

What's your plan for Thursday SG? A chance I might be working at home and looking for a 10 miler (or something that fits into one) at lunchtime.

If I get out of this snow storm I'm looking for either an 11, 14 or 10 with 5 @ HMP on Thursday so maybe an 11? PM me if you are interested.

Today was supposed to be a recovery 5 but turned out to be a tough 8: I have a few friends out here I go trail running with and I just didn't ask enough questions in advance so when we hit 4 and I said "almost home?" they said "half way!"

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well thank goodness Phil isn't around, meaning the mass of snow isn't coming out way. You'd be a bit gutted for snow to arrive late Jan when you've got away with it so far.

Woke up tired, but 10 done fairly nicely at 6.55 pace today and feel more energised. 4 to come at lunch.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I remember doing something similar when I was in NYC for my honeymoon.

I'd arranged to meet up with the Dashing Whippets (an NYC running club) for a morning run in Central Park and had underestimated a) just how far Central Park was from my hotel and b) how far they were planning to run when I got there! An easy 5 turned into a very long 11 miles that morning!

nice training boys and girls. i'm hoping to break 10 miles (total) this week

• I do my quality sessions in my racers. Was Asics Hyperspeed's but just bought a pair of Asics Piranha's (for £36... what a bargain!) and did my first session in them yesterday. Were pretty decent!

Nice session SS. Some decent reps there!!

An easy 6.4m for me this morning... felt a lot harder than it should have and now my hips are sore image Boo.