Mileage vs Intensity

Hi all,

I'm 19 and have been running for just over 3 years. My PB's are 21:35 for 5K, 45:50 for 10K and 1:42:03 for the half-marathon (only done one of each). Normally I'm a high mileage runner and I did the 5 + 10K times without doing any form of intervals, and for the half I did a few interval sessions but mostly focussed on mileage and a hill session once per week.

It's a question that I've found more relevant to me since joining my Uni Athletics club- we do a track session (normally pyramid's or kilometre repeats) and a hill session once each per week. I enjoy the sessions but I find that since I've started running faster on normal runs (I am now regularly knocking off 7 mile runs in under an hour, normally averaging 8 min/mile) I can do more mileage (I normally do 40+ per week) and feel better about the quality of the runs! I've replaced the track session with a 7 mile run, and since I've done that I find I've started running faster- maybe it's the new Garmin! I was just wondering what has worked for you guys? Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Ben

Comments

• Forgot to add, I do cross train on a stationary bike and that IS an interval session- 4 x 5 mins hard then 2 mins easy. It's pretty tough, but I don't do it all the time- normally every couple of weeks the day after a long run (so Sunday).

Cheers!

Ben

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ben Seymour 2 wrote (see)

Normally I'm a high mileage runner

Leapt out straight away. I'd be amazed if you're anywhere near.

What's the weekly average

• Normally 40-45! Haha yeah guess its not actually that much compared to other runners!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sorry, I missed that in your original post.

And whilst not high as such, sounds a heck of a lot for those times. Must be some easy improvements to boost those times immeasurably.

• Hi Ben,

Dare I ask what weight you are?

Stevie is very right. With your youth and 40-45 miles per week, not to mention that you have been training for three years I'd expect a different set of times. But a lot does come down to size and weight. Also, only you know if you put everything into your races.....

At the very least a bit of speedwork would bring your times down.

• Ben you need to build a base and speed will come on top...

Steady running is the most important part of the schedule (I think) 

I would advise 

1 long run ( upto double race distance) so for 10KM perhaps between 10-14 miles 

2 sessions - speed - this is the be run faster than race pace - and have same volume but with recoveries in between intervals

( 5 x 1 mile off 2 minute recoveries) 

Everything else to be steady running and I would build to around 45 minutes ...

I think of 40 miles a week you should be running a little quicker. However I guess that'll come with speed an intervals if you've never done them - You'll fine the endurance you have will compliment speed work and you'll be able to run faster for longer

It doesn't work the other way round ..

Good luck! 

Summary

Day 1 - Long run

Day 2 - Steady

Day 3 - Session (hard)

Day 4 - Steady

Day 5 REST

Day 6 - Session (hard)

Day 7 - Steady

See how that pans out?I was doing around the same mileage before xmas although I was doing 3 sessions a week... Hills, track or tempo... The session would be between 3-6 miles

And my steady runs between 4-8

Long run was 10-12 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Thanks for the advice so far guys- I've only done one of each- my 10K was ages ago so I'm pretty positive I could slash a couple of minutes off that anyway.

Regarding weight I'm 9.5 stone, so 60 Kilos and I'm 6 ft tall too.

That 10K was also my first ever race so I had no clue how quickly to go at the start and went off very slow. Plus I'm not really a stranger to intervals- it's just I've never really done them regularly either! CHeers for the advice guys, appreciate it!

• Not qualified to comment with any authority... but I have heard it said that for adults, you should develop some endurance, then add speed as "icing on the cake".  But for teenagers, you should develop speed, then add endurance as the icing. The rationale was that once you reach your twenties, then pure "physiologically driven" speed gets very difficult to improve upon (things like tendon length/strength/elasticity tend to "set" somewhat) - whereas the endurance side of things continues to be much more responsive for many many more years.

So (if that theory is correct), if you want to be a really good distance runner in your mid/late twenties, it might be best to slightly sacrifice the next couple of years - such that your training does NOT make you into the optimum 20yr old half-marathoner...  but optimises you more towards 400m to 1mile.  Then... in a couple of years, you add endurance to that speed.

It would be interesting if anyone could rebut or confirm that, and perhaps point to published evidence.

• Ben Seymour 2 wrote (see)

Thanks for the advice so far guys- I've only done one of each- my 10K was ages ago so I'm pretty positive I could slash a couple of minutes off that anyway.

Regarding weight I'm 9.5 stone, so 60 Kilos and I'm 6 ft tall too.

That 10K was also my first ever race so I had no clue how quickly to go at the start and went off very slow. Plus I'm not really a stranger to intervals- it's just I've never really done them regularly either! CHeers for the advice guys, appreciate it!

No two ways about it, you are far lighter than I anticipated. If anything at least half a stone under weight for your height (I'm 5'9 & 10 stone 5lbs and people call me skinny!).

You'll no doubt fill out with your 20s........but I'd definitely recommend some explosive drills and perhaps some core/weight training/gym work. Seven pounds or so of extra lean muscle might really help your speed endurance.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

9.5 stone at 6ft? Wowzers!

Do a flat fast race with a good field, and see what you're capable of TODAY. Then you can work out a plan off your current fitness, not off  random races from ages ago that might have had any range of factors slowing the time down!