Saturday 25th January 2014

Morning.

Lyrics - When you wake up

Hope the weekend's racers have god ones.

Like Blisters I'm hoping to get out on the bike today but the forecast isn't good and we had another load of heavy rain come through last night so I may be better off on the hybrid as the roads are likely to be dirty and wet. Mind you the forecast for tomorrow is even worse image

What:             bike or turbo
Why:              need bike time
Last hard:      19/1
Last rest:        28/12

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning LMH

Yesterdays lyrics::'Jump' by Van Halen.

Thought I might have been the one staring the thread today. The lyrics can wait.

• Morning!

Lyrics: quite possibly...or possibly not!

What: an hour off road is planned
    Why: I must like getting wet and muddy!

Enjoy Parly Hill, those partaking. Other venues are available.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Yes to todays lyrics:

Got them in my head now LMH...imageimage

All the best to the racers.

• What: Maybe 3 miles easy a bit later

Why: LSR tomorrow

Lyrics: Nope image

I am planning to do 13-14 miles tomorrow. Also thinking of taking some food with me. I don't have any gels/Gu. But there is a vending machine in the hospital.. reckon taking a bounty or something and munching will help me legs feel a bit more lively towards the end?

Still shopping for a bike. I will get a racing bike and clip on aero bars, for when I do tri. Other than that... not any further forward!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dibs - I would recommend Specialized as I like the brand but value wise you need to consider PlanetX or Ribble where a full carbon frame and Shimano 105 are possible. - Sizing is the biggest thing you need to get right.

What: parkrun and miles d&d

Bike ride PM

Why: Base work

Last hard: Wednesday

Last rest: Monday 30th December

Lyrics: Yes indeed
  • Greetings from the Arcticimage

Did 8 miles wit 4 at LT pace. Temp was minus 10. Effing cold :-/ Dressed like the Michelin man to keep warm. Decided to run by heart rate and was pleasantly surprised to see an average pace of 6:57 there image That is my LT pace according to McMillan. Nearly keeled over at the end though when the lungs were refusing to take in any more cold air .... luckily had my inhaler with me. walked for a bit and then jogged home. Asthma sucks image

I wonder what the pace might have looked like on a normal day in plus temps and with one third of the clothes I wore today ... anyway pleased with the effort even if my lungs are hating me now.

yes to lyrics image

Hope you find a good bike, dibs image
  •  I love my Specialized too.

Dibs you'd be better off with some jelly babies/wine gums/dried dates or flapjack type thing really.

Hope the asthma settles quickly chickadee - must be nice to see numbers like that.

Two and three quarter hours out on the hybrid for me today, wind was picking up as time passed but it stayed dry.

• Thanks for the info re bikes Gobi, I will shop around and make sure I get a fitting.

.5.5km (28.30mins). Was tempted to do my LSR today, until I started running! Feet sore, windy as hell and I needed to pee! tomorrow it is.

• Biking today, Group 3, wet roads, but at least we haven't got winter. Looking at the weather forecasts it seemed that Orkney was going to get wild gales twice.

Meanwhile, some gentle negotiation with the Household Manager may be appropriate to get permission to enter an appropriate event. Or two or three.

• Yep more gales coming tomorrow

what: 3 miles run 4 miles walk ( and no swim)

why: forgetting everything including mojo

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    scrapped my bike ride as the weather has come in, off to the gym when the athletics finish
  • Afternoon!

What: a pleasant 60 mins, 50/50 on/off road. 10:34k. Ran very easily apart from my breathing was rubbish on even the slightest incline. It was also quite mild, and I thought there was no wind...until I turned for home! Wore far too much!
    Why: Saturday habit.

Dibs: as LMH says, although I have never used anything on my long runs.
    And what's a bike?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Hey all.

4.8 miles in 34 minutes.  Just took 3 days off to rest my sore knee and it seems to have helped although it was still a bit sore.  Speed was faster because I was fresher I think. image

Lyrics, yup.

• Jelly Babies and chocolate for me.

The only time I have ever tried a gel was before Bwlch Y Groes (killer hill at 21.7) on Snowdonia. Not the best of times to try: had to get marshall to show me how to open it, then splattered it all over my beard!image
    At least there was a silver lining to the torrential rain that followed!image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    that was my fav part of Snowdon . Great climb image

gels - sis isotonic go down like water or torq as they taste good
  • haha I had a similar experience with Gu OH, was so thick and it got stuck to the roof of my mouth, I couldn't breathe through it! Must have looked rather special!

Donaldo Your speed astounds me! 

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Donaldo - 3 days off for injury and then basically 5m at 7mm . Are you rushing to get injured?
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening from the not so cold Arctic (only -6 here...).

What: rest day
    Why: ached all over this morning, no idea why
    Last hard: staying warm during yesterday's run
    Lyrics: yes I think so

Great run there Chick, hope you are ok after your breathing problems though.
    Dibs I use power bar as they are all that's available here for some reason.  They're quite good though, especially in the summer.  In the winter they are a bit gloopy.
    OH you made me laugh, now have an image of you eating the gel!

Tomorrow is a 20 km day, or an attempt at one anyway.  It's far too slippy to run it all outside, so may have to do it on the treadie...may die of boredom though, so we'll see how far I get.

Have a good one all.

• I like High 5 gels though I can use Powerbar and Hammer ones. GU made me sick as did Torq - just have to experiment and practise really. Caffeine gels are a definite no, no for me.

Enjoyed watching the athletics - didn't spot birks though. I guess he's probably out celebrating Burn's Night. How about you Donaldo?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

evening all, 
    hope birks enjoyed the indoors
    what - southern xc champs, parly hill. Said hi to RFJ, didn't see Wabo.
    why - mud, hills, 15km, mud, hills, oh and some late rain. Thunder & lightning accompanied the walk to the station after.
    last rest - december
    last hard - today
    Hard race, around 77 1/2 mins but just pleased to have got thru it. Didn't appreciate the multi train cancellations so it took almost 3 hours to get home.

lyric - I think so

enjoy the rest of the weekend

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Echo all that Dustin said, have no times to give as forgot my Garmin so will wait for the official results.

Yeap over 4 hours to get home for me... not good

Take care