Sunday 26th January 2014

Morning

Todays lyrics:I did my best to notice, When the call came down the line.

What: Rest day today.

Why: It usually is.

Great Indoor athletics yesterday. Miss B met the Pole Vaulters Holly Bleasdale and  Mary Saxer  and got her picture taken with them and their autographs.

Our seats were right at the pole vault. Great to see the legendary Bernard Lagat in the 3000m.

Pouring down when out with Geordie.

Catch up over coffee

Comments

• Morning birks. I was just looking for lyrics. Glad you and Miss B had a nice time at the athletics. It's not too bad here at the minute but we're forecast heavy rain and rising winds - no doubt that will arrive at the furthest point from home on my long run!

Yesterday's lyrics were If Time Is All I Have by James Blunt.

Sounds like rough journeys home for Dustin and RFJ - not to mention a bit of a mud bath beforehand.

What:             LSR
    Why:              VLM
    Last hard:      19/1
    Last rest:        28/12

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH

No never celebrated Burns Day. Yeah the heavy rain will probably arrive at the furthest point from home of your run.

• Oh dear - it seems to have started already, though it isn't heavy yet. Now I have to decide what to do image

• LMH: All the best anyway !

• Morning

What 1/2 an LSR

Why recovering from annual Burns cold

Lyrics yes ( for a change)

Have had a bit of a cold last few days so haven't been out. Similar colds have appeared at the same time the last couple of years with last years being the worst, was coming down with it whilst eating pizza with Gobi and was petrified that I had passed it on.

• Morning

Raining raining... should I go on my LSR.. will probably be a miserable experience.. but should get a long one in.

• What: give today a miss I think (ie rest day)

Why: XC postponed until next week due to wind

last hard: everything at present image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

heading out soon for a run.
    Was going to do a steady longish run, but legs mashed from yesterday so may well be just hour easy recovery. will report back later!

• gimme your rain guys image. I'd rather be wet than cold. Minus 12 today and it hasn't warmed up all morning image I'll freeze to death on my long run!!

gels: High 5 iso for me.

Emzap: They sell them in most supplement shops, usually alongside body builder protein stuff.

what: 20 miler but may cut it short if it's too cold

why: LSR day

last hard: yesterday

last rest Monday

lyrics yes
  • It's not exactly warm here chickadee and very wet and quite windy - though not by Orkney standards! It may take some time to warm through but that's the first 20 of my VLM campaign done.

• Dragged myself out, it is SO windy and cold image 

Chickadeee Minus 12 would finish me off! 

9 miles done. My head gave away before anything else did. Cold, drenched and over it. Had a few stops to either breathe (into the wind- breathing impossible) or just linger. Defo not the best run in the world.... but legs felt not too bad.

Didn't time (that's how over it I was, before i even began!)

• It's foul - even the 10 minute back from church was bad enough. Soaked to the skinimage

May be 5°C but the wind chill is immense. Not due to improve much tomorrow 

this is feeling like the windiest winter since we arrived in Orkney image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What:20km done, 17 of them on the dreadmill

Why:there are 4 inches of snow outside and it was too slippy to run,so ran to gym and finished them off there

Last hard: 1:45 on treadmill...

Lyrics: yes

Glad you enjoyed yesterday birks

Have a good one all
  • Afternoon!

What: confession time. Set off, but when Noah came by on his ark decided enough was enough. 2.18k.

Lyrics: I believe I do.

Well done on the 20, LMH. You are in a good position to start your campaign!
    Hope Chick got a decent run in, but not sure that I could have coped with your outing, or should that be in-ing, Emz. Well done on getting out there and doing it, Dibs. And indeed anyone else who ventured out.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Well done emzap! I can't imagine maintaining the will to live on a treadmill.. let alone on a treadmill for 17km!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 2.5hrs on the bike

?? Later but may run or gym

Why: Needs must

Last hard: Wednesday although todays weather was tough

Last rest: Monday 30th December

Lyrics: No

Good effort emzap - once did 50km on the mill as it was pissing down :`0
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Constant rain, but I actually quite enjoy that as there is not a soul about!
    63 minutes, 7.75 miles steady. Legs felt a bit heavy to start, but turned out to be a decent outing. 
    Sorry for those suffering with the worst of the elements, but top marks for getting things done!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Blooming Nora  Gobi though a 15 mile run I did once on the mill  was crazy never again.

What: 3.28 miles slow but non stop
    Why 5km on Friday
    Last Hard: That
    Lyrics No

It was raining

• Nice one, em image

bah rubbish run alert here .... plan was 20, only managed 15 as I fell flat on my face 10 miles in. Ouch image Right hip and shoulder badly bruised and somehow I lost a lot of skin from my left hand without any holes in my running glove. How does that work ?? Shuffled home in a slow death march . Now really pissed off as the OCD kicks in ... oh well onwards and upwards. Glad I did a 20, 22 and 17.5 with MP in previous weeks.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Chick - hope you are OK, Thats my normal trick though

Results through from yesterday 1:16:01 for 8.93m in 728/986, so no records broken for me.

Todays run was hard, made easier with good company 1:45 (12.68m) ended up very wet and cold though...

Take care

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Oh no chick image hope there's only surface damage. Hope you heal soon
  • Sounds painful chickadee - hope it's nothing too serious. One shorter than planned long run now is not going to wreck your campaign.

I think my treadmill record is 14 miles, it's not just the boredom (turbo training is good for that!) but running differently. I swear I'm more likely to end up injured if I do too much on the treadie, I think it's because you don't naturally adjust your stride or get all the subtle changes caused by uneven terrain.

• Sorry to hear chickadee- hope you are feeling better after some time and warmth. Hope someone is dishing you out some TLC! 

LMH- I find that I run running on a treadmill as well, never found running in a straight line difficult before, but every so often I swerve or something. hahah hate it! 

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I run the same on the treadmill as I do outside

Chicka - hope you are ok
  • thanks for your concerns, guys. I think I'm ok. Took some painkillers. Luckily tomorrow is a rest day anyway and by Tuesday I should be able to run again. At least my right hip now has a real reason to be nigglyimage
  • Not good Chickadee image Take care!

• Definitely an excuse for a luxury bathtime Chick. It's part of the recovery process. Especially the aromatic oils, scented candles and mood music. No need to boil like a lobster though.

I thought about going for a run before Sunday lunch, but it looked horrid. Afterwards it cleared up and I thought about it again (should have gone). There are a lot of people around these parts with greater cojones than me when it comes to winter athleticism. That includes the girlies. In the end I dallied long enough to just wait out until the swim session. That's a mile in the lovely warm pool done. First time today I was properly warm.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Well done on the XC yesterday Dustin and RFJ.  that's some distance.  

10 miles for me today, lucky enough to pick the best time of the day so just a hail shower to contend with.  73:53 tiring near the end.

Lyrics, aye! image