Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• IronCat5 wrote (see)

Doc called again this morning. Pneumonia.

Didn't realise you could still get that, thought it went out with work-houses. Get well and rest.

• Iron hope you get well soon and I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time.

• Cheers guys.

A bit like our mate Scotch Egg, having a diagnosis is a positive as it explains all the problems I'd been having like not hitting pace and feeling overly tired from a run.

The negative is I seem to be usurping Bus as the thread sicknote!

As promised I will do a write up on the Furman FIRST plan though the ending may be obvious to all. You'll have to wait for the director's cut for the HM PB.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Definitely - your proper illness trumps my niggles and you have an actually , proper sick-note!

Still, my barber tells me a new PB at Wokinham is a dead cert for me, so don't know why I'm worried!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Still, my barber tells me a new PB at Wokinham is a dead cert for me, so don't know why I'm worried!

So he reckons you can shave a few seconds off then?

Oh ho ho ho ho.  Ho ho ho..

God I hate myself sometimes...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He did say I would only beat it by a whisker...

..anyway, must dash....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, speedy recovery. Don't be like Scotty though and veer from talking of retiring, to smashing out races.

Have a little more balance than that chap.

• Iron - get well soon. Like you say, sometimes better to have some form of diagnosis than just knowing something was up but not sure how to treat it. Everyone's thinking of you.

Had planned an easy one early this morning, but due to staying in a shite and noisy hotel I opted for an hour extra in bed. After a shite day at work, decided screw it, and went to smash some hills out. 8m inc 8 x 100m on a v steep hill (one of those ones that you're not even running at the top.. just waddling), 4 x 150m on a less steep hill, then 2km @ tempo (06:30mm). And then. I ran in front of a car. Don't know what happened. Luckily managed to avoid getting hit but then proceeded to fall over and land knees first. In bloody agony now.

Grr!

• Okay, time for some health and safety tips:

Cat5: don't run with pneumonia.

Nikki: don't run in front of cars.

• Only managed 4 miles today. Calf is still solid as stone and got very tight and painful after 2 miles so dived home. Shame as I wanted to hit 9 miles tonight. Hopefully a bit more foam roller and stretching will see me right for the track tomorrow.

Get well soon Iron. NO running, total rest mate.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Pneumonia Iron!  Unlucky that. Hope they've got you some decent medication now and your feeling better soon.

Good session apart from the car dodging Nikki..

Another day off for me today, probably resume easy running tomorrow.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ouch Nikki - knees OK now?

Downward dog Stevie, that's what you need....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A few of you trying to outdo each other for illness and injuries there! Speedy recovery to all.

I just went and did a 6x1k off 60s with 10k pace the aim.

Wasn't sure what to expect. Before Christmas I cranked the harder 5x1mile 10k at 5.30pace, but had since not hit times at 3x1.5m 10k, and the 2.5m 10k, with 3x0.5 at 5k, although both of them had pretty obvious reasons why not.

Anyway, 10k pb pace is 3.27, so I vaguely thought 1.22 lapping would do it.

The genius of the M dog, in getting me to do 6x600 at 3k pace (1.15s) last week, made 1.22s sound quite reasonable in comparison!

I monitored the first one, to make sure it was in and around the right pace, but just did the rest as they came out.

Came out

Pleased with the first 2, ahead of schedule, but then the 3.28 although only just under target had me thinking is a meltdown coming, and thinking things like "how am I going to excuse this one out on the forum", and maybe Stevie See is right with his thoughts on morning sessions!

However, rep 4 came out at a ridiculous 3.21, and then the last 2 did too... so that's better, and all is well again!

• great session SG. would be happy with that!

Knee bloody sore this morning. decided that because its just trauma/bone sore iwould just run through it and hope it wore off. ithasnt really! sore during and after an easy 8 and tested it on a few strides and no way could get any speed out of it. hope it gets better soon... image

• That is a good session SG. Don't forget the rule about rep#3; It's always the hardest one! 

Near miss Nikki,  hopefully you were visible to the driver (timely reminder). I also sleep terribly in hotels. 

I'm on some fairly tough antibiotics,  but they seem to be working. No danger of me running SS,  I have to rest at the top of the stairs at the moment. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hmm, hope it eases soon Nikki.

SG - great confidence building session that one!

Iron - it's lucky day-time TV is so good image

Good run for me this morning. Usual 7.5M hilly mudfest to the rail station, but at 8:25 pace. Now that might seem slow, but given that last week I was struggling to do much under 9:30 pace on this route an the mud was just as bad, I'm pretty happy with that, especially as the leg never became much more than uncomfortable (which I'll settle for). Downside was I had an extra 7 mins hanging around at the station!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

first interval session for me since november time.  so was very wary. also due to time constraints and poor weather i did on a treadmill on 1% incline

6*3min at 5k pace (5 min miling or a 3.07 ave km ) off 90 rec.

once i got into it is was fine and felt at the end i could do another rep if needed.  but its the treadmill and i find them easier than the track so until i can do this on the track it doesnt countimage but it was good to do some speed stuff again

• Easy 15 today. Was supposed to be a 20 but I seem to have a bug so am backing off a bit and will do the 20 later in the week.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great mental image of Bus boarding a train caked in mud, like some kind of communting swamp monster.

Good paces SG, particularly ramping it up near the end and managing to maintain that.

LIkewise Dean, no idea how treadmill paces convert to real life paces, but it sounds good anyway.

Nikki, try not to get killed.

Iron, is there any chance for Wokingham?  You were really flying in training.

11 with 5 x 1m with 400 recoveries today, all on the roads.  Miles were done at 5:19, 5:17, 5:23, 5:13 (some downhill on that one so don't read anything into that!) and then I buggered up the timing on the last one so I've no clue.  Happy with the average there, especially on the roads. Kind of makes me think I should maybe try to slot a 10K into the build up to VLM somewhere, as there's still some sharpness there.  The only real possibility is Eastleigh though, and that's 3 weeks from VLM when I should really be doing a big long run.  But maybe I can do that a couple of days later without impacting the taper.  Hmmm.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Couldn't post on here yesterday but get well soon Iron. 

some decent sessions there SG and Dean. 

Rest up Nikki. 

Like Dean I did my session on the treadmill yesterday. around 7.5 mile in total with5 @ tempo which wears in 27.04. A 4 and 9 miler today nice and easy and the rest of the week will be easy as Alsager is on Sunday. 

Nice session too Dachs! 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Philip - try and nip it in the bud. Too many bugs about at the mo.

Matt - a casual 27:04 5 miler eh? No probs, only two mins faster than my 5M PB!

Dachs - another impressive session!  Use Eastleigh as a hard tempo and do the long run two days after as you suggest. Three weeks out is perfect for that.

Communting is actually a good word for it! I got myself some breakfast from the station caff whilst waiting and stretching. The woman serving made a comment about the state I was in, so I explained I'd run through the woods and said "it makes sure I always get a seat to myself". She said "well there's no way I'd sit next to you." Hmmm.....

• Good sessions guys. Cheers Matt. Definitely stop the bug Phil. 

Dachs - no chance for Woky. Sent my number and chip back already in case they can use the space. It's going to be a while. 

I hope you have good showers at work Bus! 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, luckily a proper power shower or it'd be a non starter really! 

Shame about Wokingham. You planning on doing the Marlow Duathlon this year?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

some solid training going on yesterday from Bus & Philip and speedy sessions from Matt and Dachs.   Alsager is looking good matt, hopefully the weather is kind!  Dachs i agree i would test out a 10k race and see whats in your legs.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Bus, it was on the treadmill though! 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

great session SG but only 6 reps?  image

nice 'communting' Bus. Extreme way of getting to sit on your own though. I had a mate who when cummunting between London and Bristol would always buy a few cans of Special Brew, empty them on the platform and leave them on the train table for the same desired effect

Dean - lovely session to ease you back in. nice when they feel pedestrian after a lay off

Matt - just make sure you don't leave everything on the training field. You're in a good place so good luck on Sunday. DBS

PMJ - get well soon mate

Dachs - another impressive session. Agree with Bus, a 10k three weeks out won't do any harm. things looking great for you

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

btw, after Matt mentioning about Garmin Connect a few pages back, I've set up a 'SG Thread' group if people are interested. If there are no takers i'll just delete it

http://connect.garmin.com/group/528451

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good tip with the Special brew! Mind you, I'm so tight I couldn't bring myself to pour it away!

Still fast Matt!

Good idea about the garmin thread groupJohnas - will need to work out how it works though!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

you'll need to play fair and change your privacy settings (under your profile) to 'My Connections' so we can see what you've been up to!

• 7 miles yesterday, after 5 the calf got tight so cut the run short. A good decision not to do a session.

11.5 tonight, calf is perfect again. Aerobically I feel immense at the moment. Pace was 7:18avg.

SG, nice session off 60s, I'm doing 8 x 1KM this week but starting off 2mins, the reducing by 30s each session. You gonna' do the full 8-10K version? image